Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

VAR has to go

Read 46284 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Re: VAR has to go
      Reply #161: Jan 20, 2021 07:57:56 pm
      Var is bullshit, just watched shitty with a blatant offside. How the hell do they deem that not offside, all the sh*t with finger nails and armpits

What about the linesman how has he missed it ?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #162: Jan 20, 2021 08:00:29 pm

That's the big thing. Yes VAR should have overturned it but firstly how the F**k has the linesman watched that and thought it wasn't offside?

Refereeing in this country has reached an all time low and all VAR is doing right now is actually showing up the officials for how poor they are.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #163: Jan 20, 2021 08:01:35 pm

Where is the accountability for these inept decisions? These are supposed to be trained professionals. They get dropped for one game's duty then all is forgiven, it's a total joke.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #164: Jan 20, 2021 08:03:31 pm
      That's the big thing. Yes VAR should have overturned it but firstly how the f**k has the linesman watched that and thought it wasn't offside?

Refereeing in this country has reached an all time low and all VAR is doing right now is actually showing up the officials for how poor they are.

Was so obvious but even Mcmananam said Mings played him onside wtf could see on my phone . There simply has to be a reason is it because Mings touched it so a new phase of play just clutching at straws to why
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #165: Jan 20, 2021 08:03:50 pm
      Not saying it's right but by the law that was a "correct" decision. It's not corrupt if they're applying the laws, it just might mean the law is stupid.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #166: Jan 20, 2021 08:04:18 pm
      Where is the accountability for these inept decisions? These are supposed to be trained professionals. They get dropped for one game's duty then all is forgiven, it's a total joke.

There has to be a reason why they gave it ok surely to god they have not missed Rodri running back
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #167: Jan 20, 2021 08:04:40 pm

Oh it's better than that PL have come out and defended the decision, apparently if a player plays the the ball the offside player is back in the game, seem to remember that bellend Kane getting a similar decision against us a while back. Well stick on our front three an hoof the ball up at a defender then go from there, bit surprised that ain't fat Sam's new tactics
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #168: Jan 20, 2021 08:05:24 pm
      Not saying it's right but by the law that was a "correct" decision. It's not corrupt if they're applying the laws, it just might mean the law is stupid.
      Oh right what does law say is it because Mings played ball then Rodri got involved ?
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #169: Jan 20, 2021 08:07:40 pm
      Oh it's better than that PL have come out and defended the decision, apparently if a player plays the the ball the offside player is back in the game, seem to remember that bellend Kane getting a similar decision against us a while back. Well stick on our front three an hoof the ball up at a defender then go from there, bit surprised that ain't fat Sam's new tactics

Right thought must have been something about Mings touching ball but as you say cleared it but within his right to control it rather than just hoof it
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #170: Jan 20, 2021 08:11:19 pm
      Right thought must have been something about Mings touching ball but as you say cleared it but within his right to control it rather than just hoof it

It's a farce, how many times do you see a defender head the ball and the offside is given, they have played the ball ? Joke law bin it off, if your on the pitch your interfering with play end of
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #171: Jan 20, 2021 08:12:48 pm

It's not correct. If so then you'd be seeing teams just put strikers behind the last defender so they can come back and try and steal the ball.

Rodri was interfering with play as soon as he can ran back with an intention to tackle Mings. The phase of play doesn't stop as soon as the ball hits Mings.

I mean I have no doubt they'll cover themselves by saying it's a new phase but it's not let's be honest.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #172: Jan 20, 2021 08:14:44 pm
      Utter sh*te just like John Moss
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #173: Jan 20, 2021 08:18:56 pm
      It's not correct. If so then you'd be seeing teams just put strikers behind the last defender so they can come back and try and steal the ball.

Rodri was interfering with play as soon as he can ran back with an intention to tackle Mings. The phase of play doesn't stop as soon as the ball hits Mings.

I mean I have no doubt they'll cover themselves by saying it's a new phase but it's not let's be honest.

I think as soon as Mings plays the ball deliberately and tries to control it Rodri is no longer offside. I agree, its stupid, I did say that, but it's also apparently the law.

Considering being offside is essentially an attacker gaining an "unfair advantage", it's ridiculous you could say Mane's arse/elbow was an unfair advantage but Rodri sneaking up on Mings wasn't. Stupidly, that seems to be the law, so the problem isn't the implementation but the rule itself.
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #174: Jan 20, 2021 08:24:40 pm
      I think as soon as Mings plays the ball deliberately and tries to control it Rodri is no longer offside. I agree, its stupid, I did say that, but it's also apparently the law.

Considering being offside is essentially an attacker gaining an "unfair advantage", it's ridiculous you could say Mane's arse/elbow was an unfair advantage but Rodri sneaking up on Mings wasn't. Stupidly, that seems to be the law, so the problem isn't the implementation but the rule itself.

Yep, the irony is if Ming's had not played the ball & a shitty player had run from on onside position & scored. Maybe that could be used tactically in the future
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #175: Jan 20, 2021 08:27:34 pm
      Yep, the irony is if Ming's had not played the ball & a shitty player had run from on onside position & scored. Maybe that could be used tactically in the future

Yes but what is mings supposed to apart from launch he can't not touch it because he will have someone running on to him from in front of him , he can't control it because someone sneaking behind shocking rule
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #176: Jan 20, 2021 08:36:29 pm
      Yes but what is mings supposed to apart from launch he can't not touch it because he will have someone running on to him from in front of him , he can't control it because someone sneaking behind shocking rule

Exactly, if we employed that tactic with in a day the rule would change. It doesn't make sense
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #177: Jan 21, 2021 02:43:40 am
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QaCRXnappM

Question for the experts here on this VAR-awarded penalty. Should it be a penalty? (from about 5:15 in the linked video).

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #178: Jan 21, 2021 06:48:26 am
      Mings tweeted that he had no idea about that rule, which hows just how obscure the rule in. It's nonsense. Just watch that tactic of standing offside becoming used more often now.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #179: Jan 21, 2021 12:51:42 pm
      Lets be honest if that was against City or United (the offside and the pen) then it would have been offside and no pen,if it had been Salah/Mane coming back from an offside position to tackle Mings then the flag or VAR would have disallowed it,the rules only happen when it suits the PL and the refs and when they make a mistake nothing is done(Pickford on VVD).
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #180: Jan 21, 2021 06:38:18 pm
      Mings tweeted that he had no idea about that rule, which hows just how obscure the rule in. It's nonsense. Just watch that tactic of standing offside becoming used more often now.

Thiery Henry used that tactic many times. Sometimes get a ball deflecting off s defender to play him on, but more subtlety, he would roam off side, walk 20 yds across the pitch and step back on side yards from any defenders. Very clever and astute player, with the talent to go with it.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #181: Jan 21, 2021 06:54:38 pm

But before this var sh*te, and linesmen not allowed to raise their flag until the phase of play has concluded,
      Rodri would have been ruled offside the moment the ball left his team mates boot !
      Interfering with play, not interfering with play, was he active or passive, was he obstructing the keeper.

Shanks once said, he wasn’t offside ? Because he wasn’t interfering with play ?
      If that’s one of my players, he’d bloody well better be interfering with play !

I think these changes to the rules, are no more than some n*b at league headquarters needing to get his name on record for the duration.
      Absolute bloody nonsense most of it, each and every plot nibbling away at our beautiful game, being diluted by no names, who wanna become big names.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #182: Jan 22, 2021 11:58:04 am
      Quote from rossyred

Under the law, the decision to give the goal is correct. When the forward wins the ball off an opponent, there is a reset to a new phase of play, and the earlier offside is nullified. If you don't like the law the law can be changed, but it's not a VAR issue.

Quote from Robby The Z
      So is there any instance of an assistant referee seeing a player in an offside position receive a ball (advancing on goal), no matter how far "behind" the 2nd to last defender he is when the ball is played, where he can raise the flag immediately?

They only do it if they are certain the forward is offside. Any doubt at all and the advice is to keep the flag down until the move ends. In either case, the move only ends when the ref blows his whistle. A goal scored by Newcastle against Sheffield United last season is one such example where the ref waved play on while the flag was up. VAR then gave the goal.

The argument against the wait, is that there is a risk of injury to players. I have to yet see one injury in any competition with VAR, caused because the flag didn't go up until the end of the move.

Quote from 0112358
      VAR has to go solely of the reason that it destroys genuine entertainment and excitement. I mean you can't emotionally explode anymore on a goal from your team because you know that it might be overturned. Do leave VAR only for those cases where a guy is 2m offside or when some dude does foul someone Zidane-headbutt-style - the real gross things.

Most goals are not overturned. Once the goal is valid, there is no problem. VAR is not about emotion or entertainment, it's about accuracy. Oliver has admitted that it was wrong not to use VAR for the Pickford kung fu impression. As regards us, I knew from Day 1 that a few decisions would go against us, and I would have to be prepared for that. When a big VAR decision goes against us now, I know it's probably right so I don't lose my rag, I just sit down again, as I used to years ago when we would think we've scored, only to then see the flag already up, which was often the wrong decision. Fans used to complain every week about divers winning penalties in the box. It doesn't happen anymore, and the sport is far better for it.

If the league was won by entertainment, you could hand City the league every year. But it's won on results, and the result at the end of 90 minutes must be correct. The alternative is more days/nights like Kiev, with no VAR and officiating still stuck in the 19th Century.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #183: Jan 22, 2021 02:08:42 pm
      Under the law, the decision to give the goal is correct. When the forward wins the ball off an opponent, there is a reset to a new phase of play, and the earlier offside is nullified. If you don't like the law the law can be changed, but it's not a VAR issue.

They only do it if they are certain the forward is offside. Any doubt at all and the advice is to keep the flag down until the move ends. In either case, the move only ends when the ref blows his whistle. A goal scored by Newcastle against Sheffield United last season is one such example where the ref waved play on while the flag was up. VAR then gave the goal.

The argument against the wait, is that there is a risk of injury to players. I have to yet see one injury in any competition with VAR, caused because the flag didn't go up until the end of the move.

Most goals are not overturned. Once the goal is valid, there is no problem. VAR is not about emotion or entertainment, it's about accuracy. Oliver has admitted that it was wrong not to use VAR for the Pickford kung fu impression. As regards us, I knew from Day 1 that a few decisions would go against us, and I would have to be prepared for that. When a big VAR decision goes against us now, I know it's probably right so I don't lose my rag, I just sit down again, as I used to years ago when we would think we've scored, only to then see the flag already up, which was often the wrong decision. Fans used to complain every week about divers winning penalties in the box. It doesn't happen anymore, and the sport is far better for it.

If the league was won by entertainment, you could hand City the league every year. But it's won on results, and the result at the end of 90 minutes must be correct. The alternative is more days/nights like Kiev, with no VAR and officiating still stuck in the 19th Century.

Like a Trump nutjob fan, will defend the indefensible!!

Quick Reply