Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

VAR has to go

Read 46366 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: VAR has to go
      Reply #184: Jan 24, 2021 10:30:35 pm
      What's with the "check complete" after 2 seconds and before we have even see the replay. Load of sh*t. Vendetta against us,
      I swear!
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #185: Jan 26, 2021 09:04:57 pm
      So shitty get away with a goal & the rule gets changed. So what now lino puts flag up & defenders half stop & var gives it ? WTF how many times against manure did that flag not go up when it was yards offside not even tight.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #186: Jan 26, 2021 09:16:17 pm
      So shitty get away with a goal & the rule gets changed. So what now lino puts flag up & defenders half stop & var gives it ?

Just seen the replay of the goal, phrase that comes to my mind is "play to the whistle."
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #187: Jan 26, 2021 09:20:35 pm
      Just seen the replay of the goal, phrase that comes to my mind is "play to the whistle."

Yup, in fact there is no need for offside flags anymore with VAR making the final call now.
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #188: Jan 26, 2021 09:43:26 pm
      Exactly, why are the rules being misinterpreted by the officials in the first place. It's pointless them raising a flag at all with big brother overseeing everything
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4878 
      Reply #189: Jan 26, 2021 11:31:15 pm

Was thing the same just watching MOTD there.

A bit strange that the flag was raised until the okay finished  but one of the first things I was taught was to play to the whistle.

bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #190: Jan 29, 2021 04:11:00 pm
      Wasn't even just VAR last nite, the ref made the final decision at pitchside on Bobs handball. For me if anything its a free for Bob, Dier arm round him, pulling, dragging him off balance and his arm came up.
      The only thing could say is maybe got a bit lucky to also have Son's goal chalked off, width of an ankle.
      Something has to be done though at some stage, cause it's F***ing up the game with all the pricking around taking ages to come to a decision. Clear and obvious?!?
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #191: Jan 29, 2021 04:24:57 pm
      Wasn't even just VAR last nite, the ref made the final decision at pitchside on Bobs handball. For me if anything its a free for Bob, Dier arm round him, pulling, dragging him off balance and his arm came up.
      The only thing could say is maybe got a bit lucky to also have Son's goal chalked off, width of an ankle.
      Something has to be done though at some stage, cause it's f**king up the game with all the pricking around taking ages to come to a decision. Clear and obvious?!?

Should it not been at least a free kick to us as it hit the spurs player's arm first and then rebounded onto Firmino's arm!    What was the ref looking at on screen?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #192: Jan 29, 2021 05:08:18 pm
      Should it not been at least a free kick to us as it hit the spurs player's arm first and then rebounded onto Firmino's arm!    What was the ref looking at on screen?

The way the rule is written re VAR it's:

1. Defender handles the ball it's OK.

2. Defender mauls the attacker it's OK.

3. Attacker has his arm pushed into the ball 50 metres and 3 passes prior to the strike for goal, it's not OK.

bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #193: Jan 29, 2021 05:16:21 pm

The VAR eegits where the ones to call attention to it - then can't even decide what to do. Bunch of numpties.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #194: Jan 29, 2021 06:49:06 pm
      The way the rule is written re VAR it's:

1. Defender handles the ball it's OK.

2. Defender mauls the attacker it's OK.

3. Attacker has his arm pushed into the ball 50 metres and 3 passes prior to the strike for goal, it's not OK.

:lmao:

I thought that was the best goal of the game it was a brilliant moment from Firmino who was been bearhugged by the defender to still finding mane with a brilliant assistant and a equally fantastic finish by Salah, it was our front 3 at their absolute best.   For me that hand was a result of Firmino trying to get out of the wrestle in that direction.

But but if that move happens 40 yds forward then in my opinion even VAR could not deny us of a stonewall penalty, because it is a handball by the defender first, never mind the WWF move. 

So why not there?

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,838 posts | 701 
      Reply #195: Jan 29, 2021 08:28:05 pm
      Quote from bmck
      Something has to be done though at some stage, cause it's F***ing up the game with all the pricking around taking ages to come to a decision. Clear and obvious?!?

Both decisions were correct, as per the lotg.  Our backline set our offside trap, we caught the forward offside, so we should be rewarded for that. We win possession from the ball hitting Firmino's arm, therefore the goal has to be ruled out. Accidental handball is allowed if we didn't win possession from it and passed it to at least two teammates before the goal was scored. The laws can go if people don't like the laws, but VAR can't.

Atkinson took his time going to the monitor, but he can't see that incident without using VAR. That's what it's for. The current "time limit" is the restart of play. Otherwise, it takes as long as it takes.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #196: Jan 29, 2021 09:34:40 pm
      Sadly I think Atkinson got the decision at least half right: it was a deliberate handball by Bobby in my opinion, so the goal couldn't stand. The right decision would have been a free kick to us cos Dier both fouled Bobby and also handballed first. If Atkinson had disallowed the goal but given us the free kick it would have been controversial - as in "why didn't he just play advantage and let the goal stand?" But playing advantage doesn't mean we can then handle the ball ourselves, which is what Bobby did. So, to me, the goal should have been disallowed and we should have got the poor consolation of a free kick.

Anyway, luckily it didn't matter, and we got the win we massively deserved.

I still hate VAR.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #197: Jan 29, 2021 10:30:56 pm
      Sadly I think Atkinson got the decision at least half right: it was a deliberate handball by Bobby in my opinion, so the goal couldn't stand. The right decision would have been a free kick to us cos Dier both fouled Bobby and also handballed first. If Atkinson had disallowed the goal but given us the free kick it would have been controversial - as in "why didn't he just play advantage and let the goal stand?" But playing advantage doesn't mean we can then handle the ball ourselves, which is what Bobby did. So, to me, the goal should have been disallowed and we should have got the poor consolation of a free kick.

Anyway, luckily it didn't matter, and we got the win we massively deserved.

I still hate VAR.

You’re correct. Although imo it was a foul on Firmino by Dier, and the ball hit Diers arm first, albeit accidentally, it did appear as though Firmino moved his arm to the ball. So correct call on that front...

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #198: Jan 29, 2021 11:52:35 pm

Personally,  Dier all over Bobby FK, Bobby handball FK so they cancel each other out, play goes on and Mo's ripper stands!! But if this is the legit rule, then how the F**k did Atkinson get it so wrong?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4878 
      Reply #199: Jan 30, 2021 06:29:09 am
      Still don't think it's VAR itself is the issue, more the idiots who are using it to reach decisions and they way its being used to look at incidents.

As soon as the apparent handball from Firmino is flagged up the ref should be using VAR to assess the entire situation but it seems he only was told to check if it was handball and then to allow or disallow the goal.

When in reality if he thought it was a handball he then seen Dier manhandling Firmino, having a handball himself, and then the ball moving and Bobby controlling it.

By all means rule out the goal if he thought it was handball in the build up but to then give a freekick to Spurs for that incident is madness.

It's an absolute mess.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #200: Jan 30, 2021 09:44:01 am
      It falls under accidental handball for me, Dier was manhandling Bobby and how's Bobby meant to anticipate the ball would hit Dier's hand first and then come on to his? All a bit rubbish IMO just like Son's was so tight it should have stood for me but offside is offside blah blah blah.

Still think we should be scrapping it until the referees can use it better but in the meantime one thing that must happen is stopping the clock when VAR checks something or the ref goes across to the monitor. We're killing so much time out of the game that never gets added on properly and it's something that ultimately hurts the bigger teams the most.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #201: Jan 30, 2021 10:45:32 am
      That Firmino Handball was a shocker, he handled it becuase he was being fouled by Dier, so at worst FK to LFC. but naw ref and VAR refs just see the handball, not the wethertoos or the whyfors. ;D

And come on, how far are they taking moves back now with VAR, if thats the case the MANU goal v us last season should have been chopped after the foul on Origi.

Consistency, refs are just arseholes VAR or no VAR.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #202: Jan 30, 2021 11:03:49 am

IMO just like Son's was so tight it should have stood for me but offside is offside blah blah

..youre just saying that cos we won heheh
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #203: Jan 30, 2021 12:06:29 pm
      part of Son's foot was offiside, I prefer that to a bloody sleeve. ;D
      rossyred

• 9,096 posts | 1636 
      Reply #204: Jan 30, 2021 08:16:58 pm
      VAR again playing up handball ruling so hit and miss
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #205: Jan 30, 2021 10:37:19 pm
      FFS! Get rid of this VAR nonsense.
      « Last Edit: Jan 30, 2021 10:43:21 pm by ORCHARD RED »
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #206: Feb 02, 2021 10:33:45 pm
      It's becoming a laughing joke, two shocking decisions in the games tonight

Quick Reply