Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

VAR has to go

Read 46293 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: VAR has to go
      Reply #230: Feb 09, 2021 06:08:08 am
      Keny
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 179 posts | 26 
      Reply #231: Feb 09, 2021 06:49:25 am
      Think that Soucek decision must be a new all time low for VAR and refereeing in this country.

The fact two referees saw that decision so many times and thought it was a red card is absolutely ridiculous.

I think the slow motion affects the decision.  As in many other cases, the slow motion replay magnifies the actions.  This used to cause troubles on players.  But this time the ref has to eat the same poison.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #232: Feb 09, 2021 10:06:19 am
      Hopefully with all this Mike Dean stuff the officials might reign in their ego & start handing out the right decision...

Iā€™ve noticed since the crowds were stopped coming into grounds officials had an attitude & arrogance about them..
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #233: Feb 09, 2021 02:45:13 pm
      Hopefully with all this Mike Dean stuff the officials might reign in their ego & start handing out the right decision...

Iā€™ve noticed since the crowds were stopped coming into grounds officials had an attitude & arrogance about them..

Your post has just reminded me of ex referee Jeff Winter, who wrote this is in his autobiography about his last game as a referee (which happened to be at Anfield).  :lmao:

ā€œ In the end I played a little bit extra, waiting until play was at the Kop end, before sounding the final shrill blast - a bit like the Last Post. The fans behind the goal burst into spontaneous applause. It was longer and louder than normal, even for a big home win. Did they know it was my final visit? Was the applause for me? They are such knowledgeable football people, that it would not surprise me. ā€
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #234: Feb 13, 2021 02:29:34 pm
      Can we bin it now? It's genuinely starting to put me off football. We were lucky to to get away with most of the dodgy VAR "offsides" and failures to see penalties etc earlier this season. Today it got us, but it could have cost us even more points than it has. A ref making a mistake in the full flow of a game I can live with, but the ridiculous calls after all the delays, replays and freeze frames is just sickening me with the game.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #235: Feb 13, 2021 03:18:00 pm
      Am I over reacting to say we are being fu**ed over big time this season, not just by var but officiating in general?
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 107 
      Reply #236: Feb 13, 2021 03:35:48 pm
      Am I over reacting to say we are being fu**ed over big time this season, not just by var but officiating in general?
      It seems to be that way. The amount of times our attacking players have been groped without ramifications has really started to bother me. On the contrary, if our attacking player touches a defender itā€™s an instant foul. That might just be a symptom of the game in general, but overall it seems like anything that can go against us does go against us. The English referees are a joke and suck at their jobs. The levels of ineptitude should not be tolerated. Who knows whether thereā€™s a degree of corruption and bias mixed in as well.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #237: Feb 13, 2021 03:53:07 pm

No not all..every fan thinks their club gets a rough ride but tbh I never have until this season. I'm not gonna say we are being targeted by the 'authorities' but what is stopping an individual ref or VAR official not giving the 50/50s our way.
      All refs will be fans of clubs and could easily be jealous of our club and think I'll show them?
      Not saying they deffo are but you can't rule it out it based on us getting shafted most weeks. That's not paranoia it's what I saw in front of me in a lot of our games this season.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #238: Feb 13, 2021 04:04:56 pm

No, you are right. We had a load of dodgy calls against us early this season, but we were playing well enough we got past most of them.

Today we had Mo denied a definite penalty, a clear foul on Sadio ignored in the build up to their second, and a linesman getting over-ruled by a VAR official seeing what he wanted to see, as per usual, for their first. Now we're struggling, the persistent bad calls are obviously more likely to cost us. When it's VAR it's a lot harder to put it down to innocent mistakes as well.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #239: Feb 13, 2021 04:10:41 pm
      Absolute sh*t it is regardless of who it favours.

Seen our onside goals ruled out and teams offside goals given.

Trying to defend a free kick and they look for 5 minutes desperately trying to come up with a penalty..

How sad.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #240: Feb 13, 2021 04:21:47 pm
      Absolute sh*t it is regardless of who it favours.

Seen our onside goals ruled out and teams offside goals given.

Trying to defend a free kick and they look for 5 minutes desperately trying to come up with a penalty..

How sad.

When will they make the decision on whether they use it again next season? Could do with some kind of fans protest or something to let them know it isn't wanted Online petition, cancelling Sly subscriptions til it's gone, something like that to let them know it is not wanted. It's ruining the game for me. I know there is no doubt an element of me being pissed off with our current form in there, but I was saying this even when we were still winning.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #241: Feb 13, 2021 04:38:14 pm
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #242: Feb 13, 2021 04:58:19 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/56053541

JĆ¼rgen making the key point about VAR decisions that it depends which frame you pick as to whether you get an offside or not. This is why the "precision" of VAR for offside calls is bogus. The ball will be on the foot of the passer for several frames. (According to JĆ¼rgen, with this one they even actually picked a frame that was before Maddison touched the ball to get the offside.)
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #243: Feb 13, 2021 05:01:49 pm
      Whereā€™s the resident VAR apologist these days?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #244: Feb 13, 2021 05:23:14 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/56053541

JĆ¼rgen making the key point about VAR decisions that it depends which frame you pick as to whether you get an offside or not. This is why the "precision" of VAR for offside calls is bogus. The ball will be on the foot of the passer for several frames. (According to JĆ¼rgen, with this one they even actually picked a frame that was before Maddison touched the ball to get the offside.)

VAR will remain completely inept for offsides for as long as they keep pretending it's a solely objective decision. The one today can easily be made to look on or off depending on when you freeze the frame, where you take the lines from, how thick the lines are etc.

When it's that tight you go with the onfield call and get on with it. It's one that looked naturally offside and you can tell by Amartey's reaction that he went early as he was pleading that he hadn't interfered with play.

Not just the ones against us by the way - I think Son was given onside by the assistant in our game a couple of weeks ago when he was offside by a hair on his toe. If the assistant said that was on it should have stood.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #245: Feb 13, 2021 06:10:30 pm
      Your post has just reminded me of ex referee Jeff Winter, who wrote this is in his autobiography about his last game as a referee (which happened to be at Anfield).  :lmao:

ā€œ In the end I played a little bit extra, waiting until play was at the Kop end, before sounding the final shrill blast - a bit like the Last Post. The fans behind the goal burst into spontaneous applause. It was longer and louder than normal, even for a big home win. Did they know it was my final visit? Was the applause for me? They are such knowledgeable football people, that it would not surprise me. ā€

Ha haha..

It reminds me of what I did last year. I would go for a jog the same time everyone was outside clapping for the NHS. Made me feel like rocky balboa.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #246: Feb 13, 2021 06:22:07 pm

It seems to be that way. The amount of times our attacking players have been groped without ramifications has really started to bother me. On the contrary, if our attacking player touches a defender itā€™s an instant foul. That might just be a symptom of the game in general, but overall it seems like anything that can go against us does go against us. The English referees are a joke and suck at their jobs. The levels of ineptitude should not be tolerated. Who knows whether thereā€™s a degree of corruption and bias mixed in as well.

A problem with English referees? Have you seen the state of the game abroad? In Spain for example? As soft as the game has become here with all the new rules etc, itā€™s still way ahead in terms of physicality, thankfully. It is supposed to be a contact sport after all!

saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #247: Feb 13, 2021 07:36:06 pm
      only just seen this, apologies if its already been shown

https://youtu.be/eD8dgbWQJK8
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #248: Feb 13, 2021 08:27:27 pm
      The decision that really sticks in my mind is the Utd vs Villa game, where Pogba tripped himself over, ref awards a pen as does VAR, even though itā€™s clear to see to even a blind man that PP trips over his own leg. Then there is the assault on VVD by Pickford that is ignored because of ā€œoffsideā€. So because you MAY be offside, an horrific tackle that ends your season is allowed to go unpunished? Proper sh*te!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #249: Feb 13, 2021 08:55:58 pm

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that decision given because of a touch off Firmino? That was my take on it anyway! Initially thought it was offside until I saw the replay.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #250: Feb 13, 2021 09:03:26 pm

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that decision given because of a touch off Firmino? That was my take on it anyway! Initially thought it was offside until I saw the replay.

Whatā€™s that? Firminos sleeve is offside? FFS what a load of sh*t

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #251: Feb 13, 2021 09:07:40 pm

No Firmino gets a touch on the ball when it's played in and my guess is VAR are calling the Leicester players onside because of that.
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #252: Feb 13, 2021 09:10:31 pm

Better get rid of origi asap, he's got bob hope with his wizards sleeve

Quick Reply