Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

VAR has to go

Read 46294 times
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Re: VAR has to go
      Reply #345: Apr 24, 2021 09:19:09 pm
      VAR? Great in theory until the idiots from the FA get their stupid mitts on it. Caught a moment of West Ham vs Chelsea where the hammers player was sent off for clearing the ball and follow through made contact. That w**ker Chris Kavanagh shouldn’t ever be allowed to referee any game of footy let alone a top tier game. Anyone who’s played at ANY level knows what’s acceptable and what isn’t. I really don’t know how the FA honestly think the rules that they change on a seasonal basis are any use. Thick as F**k the lot of them...
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #346: Apr 24, 2021 10:57:17 pm
      Quote from saille29
      So us v barcodes main talking point is VAR ffs, ironically it went in our favour for a change but it was a shocking decision which luckily will change next year.

The decision in our game, is automatic. I certainly don't want our fate this season decided because an opponent handled the ball and scored from it. They have no case. That's what VAR is there to spot and did so.

The ref gave a yellow card for the Jota incident. A VAR can't give a yellow card for anything.
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #347: Apr 24, 2021 11:11:36 pm
      The decision in our game, is automatic. I certainly don't want our fate this season decided because an opponent handled the ball and scored from it. They have no case. That's what VAR is there to spot and did so.

The ref gave a yellow card for the Jota incident. A VAR can't give a yellow card for anything.

The ref didn't give the yellow he didn't see it it was VAR fact
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #348: Apr 25, 2021 11:53:36 am
      We can see when the ball was played because the replay is paused when the ball is released. A linesman can't do that unless it's right in front of him. The rest of the time he has 5-10-15 players blocking his view, so he usually puts his flag up and hopes he's right. The West Brom v Southampton offside call being an obvious example of putting your flag up and getting it badly wrong. This is the EPL. You can talk about spontaneity all you want, but they are factual calls, and you can't be getting those calls wrong.

Fingers are not used to judge an offside call. Every incident has to be checked. Some are reviewed, and a few decisions from them have to be changed. I hate when we get offside calls against us, but that doesn't mean I hate the system and want to throw it in the bin. I recognise that it is needed to get the correct decision when there's so much at stake. The recent World Cup qualifiers descended into a complete farce, by all the wrong decisions allowed to stand, with no technology available.

Communication is the major drawback with it atm. It's better than it was but it's still awful, and doesn't help to sell the product to fans players or coaches. And I appreciate it's not always in this language, but even a 10 second delay in broadcasting it, as in e.g. Formula 1 races, would be better than what there is atm. It will happen eventually, and it can't come soon enough.

Easy solution is make the offside line thicker.
      Also get VAR analysis to be by ex players who actually get the game.
      And with each contentious decision there should be a brief explanation as to why they gave it or didn’t so we are not all guessing.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #349: Apr 25, 2021 01:27:15 pm

Also get VAR analysis to be by ex players who actually get the game.

What if they're not arsed and can't be bothered with the hassle so settle for a tv pundit job instead?
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #350: Apr 25, 2021 02:18:33 pm
      What if they're not arsed and can't be bothered with the hassle so settle for a tv pundit job instead?

Then give VaR responsibilities to the public. A public vote. That’ll do it.
      You could press the red button on your remote for a foul. The green button for a non foul. Maybe even phone a friend.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #351: Apr 25, 2021 02:54:45 pm
      Then give VaR responsibilities to the public. A public vote. That’ll do it.
      You could press the red button on your remote for a foul. The green button for a non foul. Maybe even phone a friend.

Half the public are F***ing idiots, take the election for example!!
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #352: Apr 27, 2021 08:36:30 pm
      I see Balbuena's red for hammers against chelski has been rescinded, correctly in my opinion but the bellend VAR official should be struck off, never even a foul! Who knows what the result would have been without that incompetence
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #353: Apr 27, 2021 08:55:45 pm
      I see Balbuena's red for hammers against chelski has been rescinded, correctly in my opinion but the bellend VAR official should be struck off, never even a foul! Who knows what the result would have been without that incompetence

That's typical VAR, they have time to study what happens and still the decisions are debatable, so with all the delays and dubious decisions we might as well be without it and enjoy the game as it flows
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #354: May 01, 2021 09:07:19 am
      Another shocker last night clearly won the ball and keeper getting the ball anyway zero common sense
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #355: May 24, 2021 08:52:27 pm
      On my telephone here, I'll post the stats list in the tweet thread tomorrow but here's tweet number 1.

https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/status/1396841267749851136?s=19
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #356: May 24, 2021 10:14:36 pm
      Var is so called refs in a room, who answers to nobody, and that gives them power to determine how a game goes.  They have the tech with lines, but can they follow the lines, like a well trained linesman can? . they would need a camera every metre across the line.  Everything apart from from fouls is moot
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #357: May 24, 2021 10:21:37 pm
      the Ref watch on Sky is a joke .He clearly knows every rule in the book but has no love or idea of what football is about
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #358: Jun 03, 2021 03:57:50 pm
      According to the latest figures from the EPL, there were 129 VAR decisions during the season. The good news is that correct decisions in our league have shot up from 85% without VAR, to 97% with VAR. Armed with those figures, it's up to other leagues in England (and elsewhere) to decide how long they want to persist with refs getting 15% of major decisions wrong, during the season.
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #359: Jun 03, 2021 04:05:38 pm
      According to the latest figures from the EPL, there were 129 VAR decisions during the season. The good news is that correct decisions in our league have shot up from 85% without VAR, to 97% with VAR. Armed with those figures, it's up to other leagues in England (and elsewhere) to decide how long they want to persist with refs getting 15% of major decisions wrong, during the season.

Hopefully forever

I’ll take 15% (if it’s that high) as a cost of not ruining the game
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #360: Jun 03, 2021 04:16:07 pm

Are you sure you don’t have shares in it ?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #361: Jun 03, 2021 05:12:38 pm
      Hopefully forever

Yep, if they are going to use VAR they need to use it right for starters and secondly figure out a way to not kill the vibe when you think your team has scored. It’s ridiculous now that goals that appear to be good to the naked eye then get looked at for 5 minutes and called off.
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #362: Jun 03, 2021 05:25:09 pm
      Yep, if they are going to use VAR they need to use it right for starters and secondly figure out a way to not kill the vibe when you think your team has scored. It’s ridiculous now that goals that appear to be good to the naked eye then get looked at for 5 minutes and called off.

I won’t ever forgive it for the Henderson goal in the derby

Never
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #363: Jun 03, 2021 07:04:40 pm
      Hopefully forever

Me too, I was all for it at the beginning  :f_doh: not anymore.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #364: Jun 03, 2021 07:29:37 pm
      Said it before ‘F**k it right off’.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #365: Jun 03, 2021 10:55:59 pm
      Quote from FL Red

There's no "if". It's here. Every goal must be checked, but the vast majority stand. In the past 2 seasons, almost all our goals that didn't stand were for offside. We had just one red card, a straight red for Allison for handball outside the area. We had a goal given by VAR, because of a shoulder. Before VAR, it would be ruled out for a non existent handball, and we would have dropped two points.

Quote from L4.19Times

The official Premier League stats say so. 15% of wrong decisions without VAR, means a lot of them in other leagues, and a lot of upset players/staff/management. I'm sure they would have preferred to wait a minute or two longer to get the correct decision. Mistakes ruin the game, as they always have done.

If you have a system available where you can get 97% correct decisions, over a notorious  error prone method that gets just 85% correct, then it shouldn't take too long to decide what you should go with.
      « Last Edit: Jun 04, 2021 12:57:04 am by lfc across the water »
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #366: Jun 04, 2021 07:05:07 am
      There's no "if". It's here. Every goal must be checked, but the vast majority stand. In the past 2 seasons, almost all our goals that didn't stand were for offside. We had just one red card, a straight red for Allison for handball outside the area. We had a goal given by VAR, because of a shoulder. Before VAR, it would be ruled out for a non existent handball, and we would have dropped two points.

The official Premier League stats say so. 15% of wrong decisions without VAR, means a lot of them in other leagues, and a lot of upset players/staff/management. I'm sure they would have preferred to wait a minute or two longer to get the correct decision. Mistakes ruin the game, as they always have done.

If you have a system available where you can get 97% correct decisions, over a notorious  error prone method that gets just 85% correct, then it shouldn't take too long to decide what you should go with.

Shouldn’t should it, in fact it didn’t, I decided ages ago and very, very quickly

I’ll go with the passion and release that football has always been
      Not a robotic boring interpretation that var is

It’s sh*te, f**k it off
      « Last Edit: Jun 04, 2021 07:16:45 am by L4.19Times »
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #367: Jun 04, 2021 10:34:52 am
      The technology is not fit for purpose as it stands. Camera speeds too slow to truly and accurately capture offsides. However the main issue for me is the muppets controlling it. They're clueless on the pitch so why should that change when in a padded cell with lot's of screens? I think the incident that most annoyed me was Brighton's late, late penalty at their gaff. How many times after that did you see them intruding into play in that fashion?

Quick Reply