Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

VAR has to go

Read 46296 times
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Re: VAR has to go
      Reply #414: Mar 20, 2023 08:40:51 am
      United V Fulham. VAR sends ref Kavanagh to TV monitor when should just told ref to change decision ans send Willian off. Fulham then lose the plot and Mitrovic pushes ref and will get a huge ban.

Obviously the comparison with Fernandes will be made. Why didn't VAR tell the Ref Fernandes had pushed the Ass Ref and red card him....mmmm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOpryk5aE_8&ab_channel=SkySportsPremierLeague

Because their the scum bags , they were having a thumping and a meltdown , even the commentator said the ref wasn’t looking for trouble and was letting them get away with things , or that was implied .
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #415: Mar 20, 2023 09:02:21 am
      Because their the scum bags , they were having a thumping and a meltdown , even the commentator said the ref wasn’t looking for trouble and was letting them get away with things , or that was implied .

Well yes, it seems you can push or touch an official as long as there are mitigating circumstances. On the scale of Fernandes/Mitrovic/DeCanio then Fernandes was fairly innocuous but still it gives off the wrong impression. Fernandes pushed the Ass Ref in the back as an admonishment as if to say "keep out of it you". Inconsistency rather than common sense ref Gallagher.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 80 
      Reply #416: Mar 20, 2023 09:51:40 am
      VAR won’t work fully until you take out all human aspect.
      Once a robot analysis it it will be programmed to always make the same decision.

Pray for the day this happens, no more subjectivity crap these w*nk refs hide behind.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 80 
      Reply #417: Mar 20, 2023 09:53:16 am
      Var the worst thing to happen in football in my lifetime fckin hate the system

The irony is without it, factually, the refs/lino's get a lot more wrong.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 80 
      Reply #418: Mar 20, 2023 09:56:49 am
      United V Fulham. VAR sends ref Kavanagh to TV monitor when should just told ref to change decision ans send Willian off. Fulham then lose the plot and Mitrovic pushes ref and will get a huge ban.

Obviously the comparison with Fernandes will be made. Why didn't VAR tell the Ref Fernandes had pushed the Ass Ref and red card him....mmmm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOpryk5aE_8&ab_channel=SkySportsPremierLeague

VAR has to allow the opportunity for the ref to make the final call when it comes to handball decisions....what matters is they got the decision right forget the fact it was given for Utd. I can understand a players anger when he feels his side has been mistreated in favour of the other side but he simply has to take responsibility for his actions. Under no circumstance should a player aggressively get in the face of an official or put their hands on a referee but I question why the lino put his hand round the arm of Fernandes?
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #419: Mar 20, 2023 11:04:03 am
      VAR has to allow the opportunity for the ref to make the final call when it comes to handball decisions....what matters is they got the decision right forget the fact it was given for Utd. I can understand a players anger when he feels his side has been mistreated in favour of the other side but he simply has to take responsibility for his actions. Under no circumstance should a player aggressively get in the face of an official or put their hands on a referee but I question why the lino put his hand round the arm of Fernandes?

Wouldn't argue with that. Think the 'lino' was trying to prevent an incident. One that Fernandes started. Fernandes pushed the 'lino' as he was going back onto the pitch. Push Kane like that and he goes down like a sack of spuds.

Mitrovic will be jumped on and will get a 5 match ban or even more. And he deserves it. Silva should've stayed out of it. He'll get clobbered as well.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #420: Mar 20, 2023 01:27:36 pm
      The irony is without it, factually, the refs/lino's get a lot more wrong.
      They still getting it wrong it’s sucking the life out of goal celebrating
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 80 
      Reply #421: Mar 20, 2023 02:11:19 pm

They are at times yes but lets not pretend football was all rosy dory before VAR....it wasn't. A lot including myself were in favour of VAR being brought in & all it's done is further expose referees for how bad they are....they misuse the laws of the game with "subjectivity" . VAR is used in almost every European top division and I can assure you it isn't as negatively thought of like it is in England.

It's not ok for Utd to go a season with 8 goals which otherwise wouldv'e been clearly ruled offside with VAR, so whilst it causes a lot of controversy. In reality in fact it's the referee's decision making close up is what we're judging so the solution has to be to improve either how VAR is operated or to change the laws so there aren't so many factors to ponder which a lot of fans aren't ITK over.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 80 
      Reply #422: Mar 20, 2023 02:16:49 pm
      Wouldn't argue with that. Think the 'lino' was trying to prevent an incident. One that Fernandes started. Fernandes pushed the 'lino' as he was going back onto the pitch. Push Kane like that and he goes down like a sack of spuds.

Mitrovic will be jumped on and will get a 5 match ban or even more. And he deserves it. Silva should've stayed out of it. He'll get clobbered as well.

He was yes but he can't do that by putting his hands on the player, either step in his direction from chasing Trent away or just leave Bruno to do what exactly? headbutting Trent? Fanastic. Let the referee give you a red.

For me personally Mitrovic should get a 4-5 game ban.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #423: Mar 20, 2023 02:30:47 pm
      They are at times yes but lets not pretend football was all rosy dory before VAR....it wasn't. A lot including myself were in favour of VAR being brought in & all it's done is further expose referees for how bad they are....they misuse the laws of the game with "subjectivity" . VAR is used in almost every European top division and I can assure you it isn't as negatively thought of like it is in England.

It's not ok for Utd to go a season with 8 goals which otherwise wouldv'e been clearly ruled offside with VAR, so whilst it causes a lot of controversy. In reality in fact it's the referee's decision making close up is what we're judging so the solution has to be to improve either how VAR is operated or to change the laws so there aren't so many factors to ponder which a lot of fans aren't ITK over.
      I don’t need a lesson or lecture on VAR thanks just because you wanted it brought in is your choice , it’s not mine , I happen to know refs were dropping bollocks before var and their still making them that’s because they were poor then and their poor now I for one would have rather they put the money into an academy for refs to make them better rather than a system that sucks the enjoyment out of it and that’s what it does for me , not saying it does that for everyone but it does for me , you beating the VAR drum won’t change my mind just the same as I won’t change yours ,
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 80 
      Reply #424: Mar 20, 2023 02:45:00 pm
      I don’t need a lesson or lecture on VAR thanks just because you wanted it brought in is your choice , it’s not mine , I happen to know refs were dropping bollocks before var and their still making them that’s because they were poor then and their poor now I for one would have rather they put the money into an academy for refs to make them better rather than a system that sucks the enjoyment out of it and that’s what it does for me , not saying it does that for everyone but it does for me , you beating the VAR drum won’t change my mind just the same as I won’t change yours ,

In general it does take away the enjoyment but its not much for fun constantly being on the end of wrong decisions either, clearly this goes beyond VAR as its been going on for so long so the only thing left to change are the rules. There’s no VAR drum banging here but it’s undeniable that with it, whilst not being perfect, it gets more decisions right than without it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3943 
      Reply #425: Mar 20, 2023 02:49:39 pm

Is correct Andy VAR should take precedent over human error.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #426: Mar 20, 2023 03:56:50 pm

5 match ban more than enough being honest. Granted he was a little aggressive but it’s not as if punches were thrown.   ;D
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #427: Mar 20, 2023 04:29:41 pm
      In general it does take away the enjoyment but its not much for fun constantly being on the end of wrong decisions either, clearly this goes beyond VAR as its been going on for so long so the only thing left to change are the rules. There’s no VAR drum banging here but it’s undeniable that with it, whilst not being perfect, it gets more decisions right than without it.

And it's here to stay. Can't be done by AI that's for sure.Penalty decisions are very often one mans opinion over the next man. Camera angles obviously help and that's where the TV monitor comes into it, but it does affect the continuity and spontaneous nature of the game.
      tytusgroan
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 511 posts | 50 
      Reply #428: Mar 21, 2023 01:41:39 pm
      I'm old and still think it's a pile of sh*t. I can't deal with all this modern technology stuff. The best thing that's been brought out is Hawkeye. Imo it's definitely destroying the game I  was brought up to love.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #429: Mar 21, 2023 06:01:06 pm
      I'm old and still think it's a pile of sh*t. I can't deal with all this modern technology stuff. The best thing that's been brought out is Hawkeye. Imo it's definitely destroying the game I  was brought up to love.

Always great to get the views of long established red. The techie stuff is a bit like interference. Could be claimed it's reduced the amount of moans about prejudiced refs. It's here to stay by the look of things.
      tytusgroan
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 511 posts | 50 
      Reply #430: Mar 21, 2023 07:47:57 pm
      Always great to get the views of long established red. The techie stuff is a bit like interference. Could be claimed it's reduced the amount of moans about prejudiced refs. It's here to stay by the look of things.

Your right it will never go away,they are on the way to destroying our beautiful game. I hate to think what state it will be in in say five years time. It used to be not so long ago the offside rule was pretty straight forward,now look at it. Sorry to be a moany old git,our game is being destroyed.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #431: Mar 21, 2023 08:30:03 pm
      Your right it will never go away,they are on the way to destroying our beautiful game. I hate to think what state it will be in in say five years time. It used to be not so long ago the offside rule was pretty straight forward,now look at it. Sorry to be a moany old git,our game is being destroyed.

You'd get on well with the fella across the water  :lmao:
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #432: Mar 21, 2023 08:45:58 pm
      VAR destroys one of the most important aspects of the game: the joy after a goal. I am ok with it if it prevents gross non red cards, offsides, penalties but „gross“ would mean 1m offsides, deep yellow fouls in the box or almost martial arts fouls, not the stuff we see today happen to be judged by VAR.

VAR is a tool of modern business-like football, its not part of the traditional culture.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #433: Mar 21, 2023 08:46:21 pm
      I thought that VAR would take the controversy out of reffing decisions instead it’s made the decisions more controversial, a total waste of time
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #434: Mar 22, 2023 11:31:23 am
      I'm about 50/50 on it. Takes away the injustice of offside goals. Can also assist the ref with hand ball and red cards etc. The TV monitor thing, not so sure about that as there are so many instances that arguments over why the Ref has been sent over or why he hasn't. Then there's the 'it spoils the spontaneity' of the moment thing.

Penalties are such a emotive subject that almost any system would cause or create dispute. Disputed decision are arguably part and parcel of the game anyway. Nobody likes change especially with something that people grew up with. But can't go back now.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #435: Mar 22, 2023 01:34:10 pm
      I don't understand why the on the field ref has to go and review something. Why can't they have officials reviewing everything near real time as the game goes on and instead of telling the ref to go look at it, just have refs already looking at it. If it's an obvious missed call, change it and move on. The whole drama of sending the ref to look at it...then what? I bet 90% of the time when he goes to the monitor he changes his call. Anyone have the actual stats on that. Either way, it just seems like a dog and pony show to me.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3943 
      Reply #436: Mar 22, 2023 02:15:02 pm
      I don't understand why the on the field ref has to go and review something. Why can't they have officials reviewing everything near real time as the game goes on and instead of telling the ref to go look at it, just have refs already looking at it. If it's an obvious missed call, change it and move on. The whole drama of sending the ref to look at it...then what? I bet 90% of the time when he goes to the monitor he changes his call. Anyone have the actual stats on that. Either way, it just seems like a dog and pony show to me.

Another innovation the FA have somehow made unworkable!

The use of technology was supposed to eradicate human error in the case of offside, penalties etc, the FA in its infinite wisdom have now decided technological error is to be scrutinised by the referee and their decision is final!

How much longer can the game survive?

Quick Reply