Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Pre-Match: Ajax v Liverpool (CL Group Stage Game 1 - Wed 21st Oct 8pm)

Read 5650 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,914 posts | 4981 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Pre-Match: Ajax v Liverpool (CL Group Stage Game 1 - Wed 21st Oct 8pm)
      Reply #23: Oct 20, 2020 11:41:58 am
      For me, fabinho is our number 1 centre half now for two reasons.

The first one being that both Gomez and Matip play better alongside a more commanding centre half. They both perform better being the wingman rather than the leader. Put Fabinho in there and make him boss that back line.

The second reason is, we should always protect one of gomez or matip too. Keep one on the bench at all times and perhaps rotate them for the time being. Both have injury problems so I hope we don’t play the pair or them week in, week out putting them at more risk.

I don’t rate henderson in the holding role at all and his performances have really come on while playing further up the pitch so I wouldn’t change that. Instead, I’d like to see james milner sit in front of the back four for the time being. I think he would give us a bit more protection there. You ask milner to do a job and he does it.

Don’t know if Thiago is fit or not but either way I’d leave him out for this one. Firmino gets dropped for me too and Jota comes in. 

So onto the game. I expect a tough, high tempo match but it could work in our favour. I think Ajax are always set up perfectly to hit on the counter. I put in the score prediction that we’ll lose this but it was right after the derby when I was feeling sorry for myself. The more I think about this match, the more I think we will go there and get a result.

Adrian

Trent Gomez fabinho Robbo

Milner

Hendo      Gini

Salah        Jota          Mane

Good shout regards to rotating J & J makes sense,  also having Fabinho there as the lynch pin, Milner in front I'm not so sure but if needs must so be it, I still prefer Henderson tho, especially if Thiago plays, but like you said it's unlikely.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #24: Oct 20, 2020 12:31:25 pm
      Didn’t realise Matip picked up a knock at the weekend but then he does give Lallana and Studge a run for their money on the injury front. It makes our failure to replace Lovren look a bit foolish.

Figure Fab will start with Gomez. Think we will see Hendo, Gini and Keita in midfield. Our toughest game to start, so long as we get something from the game I’ll be happy. I think it will be 1-1. 
      « Last Edit: Oct 20, 2020 01:19:24 pm by Scottbot »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #25: Oct 20, 2020 01:09:07 pm
      A good 4-0 win would bring a lot of positivity back. Let's do this Reds.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #26: Oct 20, 2020 01:55:24 pm
      No Matip or Thiago in training today.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #27: Oct 20, 2020 02:25:07 pm
      Matip is a character
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #28: Oct 20, 2020 02:37:23 pm
      No Matip or Thiago in training today.

Uuuhhhhh !
      Was hoping Thiago was gonna make it so we could play Fab with Joe or Joel.
      Looks like it will be Hendo, Gini and Millie, with the usual front 3 ( don’t think Jürgen will drop Bob) snd the usual full backs.
      Still going with 1:2 us .

Be a bit more defensive I rekon, with the fast counter getting us a couple. May concede late due to tired legs.
      High intensity finish !
      rossyred

• 9,244 posts | 1652 
      Reply #29: Oct 20, 2020 02:50:47 pm
                                  Adrian
      TAA                   Joe   Fab                Robbo

Gini                       Hendo                  Keita

Mo                        Mane                    Jota
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #30: Oct 20, 2020 03:32:56 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

I would rotate a little the front three.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #31: Oct 20, 2020 03:36:24 pm
      Is Keita ready?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #32: Oct 20, 2020 03:45:59 pm
      Looks like Fabinho alongside Gomez for this one.

I'd go:

Adrian

Trent      Gomez     Fabinho      Tsimikas

Henderson      Milner

Salah     Minamino     Jota

Mane
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #33: Oct 20, 2020 04:33:56 pm
      I genuinely believe bringing Milner into the midfield would add a bit of stability and leadership alongside Henderson.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,094 posts | 8521 
      Reply #34: Oct 20, 2020 04:59:04 pm
      Just want to add.

This would have been a superb away game to go to! Amsterdam's the only place I managed to get to in 2020!

Already having withdrawal symptoms. Definitely the away game everyone would be up for and it's got F**k all to do with the actual game  :lmao:  :cool-smiley-027:
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #35: Oct 20, 2020 05:01:54 pm
      Just want to add.

This would have been a superb away game to go to! Amsterdam's the only place I managed to get to in 2020!

Ha ha me too mate
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #36: Oct 20, 2020 05:43:07 pm
      I genuinely believe bringing Milner into the midfield would add a bit of stability and leadership alongside Henderson.

Sorry but a Milly/Hendo midfield is something I'm glad we haven't seen that much of in recent times.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #37: Oct 20, 2020 06:06:24 pm
      Sorry but a Milly/Hendo midfield is something I'm glad we haven't seen that much of in recent times.

yes far too negative
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #38: Oct 21, 2020 07:56:49 am

I totally agree. Both industrial but both lack that spark. It's one or the other.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,914 posts | 4981 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #39: Oct 21, 2020 09:39:55 am
      Already having withdrawal symptoms. Definitely the away game everyone would be up for and it's got f**k all to do with the actual game  :lmao:  :cool-smiley-027:

So you wouldn't be learning  some Dutch culture had you gone then HR ? 😁
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #40: Oct 21, 2020 10:10:51 am
      In my opinion, we are arguably without the worlds best Keeper, Center back and Midfielder, playing a side who are on form, and are historically quality ball players, not hoofers.
      I’m praying we can get a result with what we currently have as replacements, considering the few returning from recent injury.

Can we really do this ?

I’d be happy with an away point under the circumstances !
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #41: Oct 21, 2020 10:29:25 am
      This will be a really tough one. A point would be great.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #42: Oct 21, 2020 11:05:28 am
      Competitive debut for Koumetio anyone?

Flapdrian
      Trent    Gomez     Koumetio   Robbo
        Henderson   Fabinho    Wijnaldum
      Salah          Bobby         Mane
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #43: Oct 21, 2020 11:23:07 am
      Competitive debut for Koumetio anyone?

Flapdrian
      Trent    Gomez     Koumetio   Robbo
        Henderson   Fabinho    Wijnaldum
      Salah          Bobby         Mane

Just read he is not eligible to be added to the squad for UEFA. I'm guessing he is not considered home grown so there is no room for him? Not sure since he is young enough. Same article said Nat Phillips not eligible, but Harvey Elliott is stuck on the A list. That makes me think some things didn't transpire on the transfer window that the club expected. At any rate, no Nat or Billy.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #44: Oct 21, 2020 11:33:54 am
      In my opinion, we are arguably without the worlds best Keeper, Center back and Midfielder, playing a side who are on form, and are historically quality ball players, not hoofers.
      I’m praying we can get a result with what we currently have as replacements, considering the few returning from recent injury.

Can we really do this ?

I’d be happy with an away point under the circumstances !

??? How did we get on against Everton, are you seriously trying to suggest Ajax are better than Everton at the moment?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #45: Oct 21, 2020 11:36:57 am
      Just read he is not eligible to be added to the squad for UEFA. I'm guessing he is not considered home grown so there is no room for him? Not sure since he is young enough. Same article said Nat Phillips not eligible, but Harvey Elliott is stuck on the A list. That makes me think some things didn't transpire on the transfer window that the club expected. At any rate, no Nat or Billy.

So if Joe and Joel both get injured, which lets face it is not beyond the realms of possibility, we are fu**ed then, we'd have to play with 1 CB or chuck Henderson in there alongside Fabinho. God knows how Klopp would play that, all out attack is probably the best tactic or play all 4 FB's or at least 3 of them

Quick Reply