Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

European Super League - Liverpool amongst 12 clubs to join

Read 32902 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      European Super League - Liverpool amongst 12 clubs to join
      Oct 20, 2020 02:41:15 pm

European Premier League: Liverpool and Manchester United in talks for FIFA-backed tournament

Liverpool and Manchester United are in talks about a bombshell plot involving Europe's biggest football clubs to join a new FIFA-backed tournament that would reshape the sport's global landscape.

Sky News has learned that financiers are assembling a $6 billion (£4.6 billion) funding package to assist the creation of what could become known as the European Premier League.

More than a dozen teams from England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain are in negotiations about becoming founder members of the competition.

As many as five English clubs could sign up to join it, with a provisional start date said to have been discussed as early as 2022.

Sources said that FIFA, football's world governing body, had been involved in developing the new format, which is expected to comprise up to 18 teams, and involve fixtures played during the regular European season.

The top-placed teams in the league would then play in a knockout format to conclude the tournament, with prize money for the winners expected to be worth hundreds of millions of pounds each year.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12109174/european-premier-league-liverpool-and-manchester-united-in-talks-for-fifa-backed-tournament

« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2021 08:07:11 am by JD »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Liverpool and Manchester United in talks for FIFA-backed tournament
      Reply #1: Oct 20, 2020 02:47:39 pm
      Where are AFC Liverpool playing home games? Id say thats where ordinary fans will end up seeing football games.

Love the idea of an elite European league but the prize money will be recouped frkm somewhere, starting in fans pockets
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #2: Oct 20, 2020 03:04:30 pm
      Covid or not the capitalist beast still f**king roars.

Its like a European soccer version of the NFL..franchises and all that...
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3: Oct 20, 2020 03:04:39 pm
      Covid or not the capitalist beast still f**king roars.

Our owners seem to be front & centre for money grab..
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4: Oct 20, 2020 03:07:26 pm
      Sounds good to me, hopefully it would have decent referees.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #5: Oct 20, 2020 03:13:56 pm
      As if Project Big Picture wasn’t bad enough for the club.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: Oct 20, 2020 03:29:56 pm
      Had to happen sooner or later. For Spain, France,Germany read Real,Barca,PSG,Bayern Munich. Not that much competitiveness. At least the Premier league throws up teams like Leicester city.

Is anybody surprised. Money rules the game and has done for years but now it demands subservience.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #7: Oct 20, 2020 03:31:23 pm
      I feel we will lost our identity and only going for the money :( Money talks.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #8: Oct 20, 2020 03:40:50 pm
      I feel we will lost our identity and only going for the money :( Money talks.

I totally agree, much prefer our domestic league. It's all money money money these days.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #9: Oct 20, 2020 03:47:24 pm
      It's a replacement for the Champion's League isn't it?

Not sure we need any changes and can only see this leading to even more fixtures.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #10: Oct 20, 2020 04:00:46 pm
      Its like a European soccer version of the NFL..franchises and all that...

Yes but without the fairness i will bet
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #11: Oct 20, 2020 04:20:31 pm
      Hang on

so instead of playing Everton with their pickfordsand other various shithouses we play Bayern and Real etc...hmmm im warming to it
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #12: Oct 20, 2020 04:43:02 pm
      Hang on

so instead of playing Everton with their pickfordsand other various shithouses we play Bayern and Real etc...hmmm im warming to it

Don't think that'll be the case mate,  it's a newer version of CL, we'll still have a domestic league title to win as well,  it could work but my concern is would it be ppv,  if so they can F**k right off ! !
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #13: Oct 20, 2020 04:56:16 pm

European Premier League: Liverpool and Manchester United in talks for FIFA-backed tournament

Liverpool and Manchester United are in talks about a bombshell plot involving Europe's biggest football clubs to join a new FIFA-backed tournament that would reshape the sport's global landscape.

Sky News has learned that financiers are assembling a $6 billion (£4.6 billion) funding package to assist the creation of what could become known as the European Premier League.

More than a dozen teams from England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain are in negotiations about becoming founder members of the competition.

As many as five English clubs could sign up to join it, with a provisional start date said to have been discussed as early as 2022.

Sources said that FIFA, football's world governing body, had been involved in developing the new format, which is expected to comprise up to 18 teams, and involve fixtures played during the regular European season.

The top-placed teams in the league would then play in a knockout format to conclude the tournament, with prize money for the winners expected to be worth hundreds of millions of pounds each year.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12109174/european-premier-league-liverpool-and-manchester-united-in-talks-for-fifa-backed-tournament

Ah the old European Super League!! Is this because us and the mancs didn't get our own way over Big Project, just the clubs way of stamping their feet.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #14: Oct 20, 2020 05:35:29 pm
      Ah the old European Super League!! Is this because us and the mancs didn't get our own way over Big Project, just the clubs way of stamping their feet.

Id guess this was always in the pipeline and the projecrt was a propisal to see would the premier league bite
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #15: Oct 20, 2020 05:46:28 pm
      So instead of the Champion's League we do this "Super League" instead. FIFA backed...sounds like a way for FIFA to get one over on UEFA.

At the end of the day, we'll still have the Premier League to focus on but if we don't thin some games from some of these other competitions we play in, it sounds like an awful lot of congestion to me.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #16: Oct 20, 2020 06:43:41 pm
      Project bigger picture was clearly a way of reducing games domestically (no League Cup and 4 less league fixtures) to pave the way for this type of thing.

Its pretty ugly really and I hope it doesnt happen. That being said the Champions League needs reforming IMO. A League format with all the teams in it playing once is a decent idea. If they want to have their showpiece final then a playoff with the top 4 may work.

Either way, I want to see an end to seedings in the draw, an end to 3rd place teams in the group stage going into the Europa League and an end to the tired away goals rule too.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #17: Oct 20, 2020 06:58:35 pm
      No thank you, football feels likes its heading towards American ownership, or at least the Americans are trying.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #18: Oct 20, 2020 07:06:15 pm
      one minute so they are going scrap the Champions League?  or run both these tournaments.  UEFA aren't going to give up their chicken that lays the golden eggs.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #19: Oct 20, 2020 07:13:16 pm
      Anytime the big clubs want to get together like this it's good only for them but not the game in total, so disappointed to read this.

League continuing is good, but even if this were to replace CL it'd be 12 teams only instead of 32, so it won't be long before "playing the same teams" fatigue comes in. If it does not replace CL and it's in addition to, that is a huge cluster of games to add in a year.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #20: Oct 20, 2020 07:17:59 pm
      Anytime the big clubs want to get together like this it's good only for them but not the game in total, so disappointed to read this.

League continuing is good, but even if this were to replace CL it'd be 12 teams only instead of 32, so it won't be long before "playing the same teams" fatigue comes in. If it does not replace CL and it's in addition to, that is a huge cluster of games to add in a year.

Yeah I was thinking that too, how long until playing Barcelona twice a year gets real old... I’ll stick to Champions League thanks.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #21: Oct 20, 2020 07:23:57 pm

Is an absolute cluster F**k born out of greed, isn't it?

Timing is even worse than the crime in my opinion. Sly, selfish, greedy.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #22: Oct 20, 2020 07:44:13 pm
      Where are we going to go if this gets binned, another galaxy ?

Quick Reply