Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

European Super League - Liverpool amongst 12 clubs to join

Read 32906 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Re: Liverpool and Manchester United in talks for FIFA-backed tournament
      Reply #23: Oct 20, 2020 08:33:45 pm
      I mean when this does eventually happen..I mean they won't charge us to see these games will they...nah it'll be freeeeeeeeeeee...yipeeee eeeeeeeeee....free footie..
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #24: Oct 20, 2020 11:41:15 pm
      Ah well. At least I saw a champions league victory and a much awaited premier league title before football officially died.
      I stopped paying football my hard earned cash years and years ago.
      All I do is stream and watch in game commentary from forums like this. I doubt Iā€™ll even do that for much longer.

Football doesnā€™t mean as much without fans. Covid has proven that. Yet the fans get fleeced every opportunity uefa or the premier league get...

Football is going in the wrong direction.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #25: Oct 21, 2020 01:41:20 am
      It's just the "greed" of the biggest European clubs vs. the greed of the also-rans in the Premier League. One is somewhat based on merit and the other, not so much.

There's no purity out there when it comes to any decent level of football, owners, players, agents, sponsors - and judging from the demands about player purchases and other spending - fans. There's a real sense of naivete, and/or of wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

The amounts of money connected to the sport are truly obscene, but the market continues to drive it up.

My thought on this is the big clubs are posturing to get a sweeter deal from UEFA. The Champions League is hugely popular and they would be foolish to leave it. This may be all about TV rights or there may be an interest on some permanent slots.

This Euro League idea isn't about anyone leaving their domestic league.

« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2020 05:41:13 am by Robby The Z »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #26: Oct 21, 2020 07:53:21 am
      It's a replacement for the Champion's League isn't it?

Not sure we need any changes and can only see this leading to even more fixtures.

We would need a bigger squad. I think that UCL needs to change because it only gets interesting after the quarters.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #27: Oct 21, 2020 05:13:01 pm

My thought on this is the big clubs are posturing to get a sweeter deal from UEFA. The Champions League is hugely popular and they would be foolish to leave it. This may be all about TV rights or there may be an interest on some permanent slots.

i feel the same way about it, this isn't a new concept as it seems every few years the idea of "super league" pops up though with FIFA backing it kind of gives it a different look as we all know FIFA has been trying hard to get in club football as it is more popular money wise than international game.

For me I am not big on the idea as I think the Champions League though not perfect is a great product.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #28: Oct 21, 2020 06:44:06 pm
      I heard lately that baseball in the states is played every day. Perhaps we should consider that to get all these games in, and have squads of 150 players.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      daspope
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #29: Oct 28, 2020 04:10:43 pm
      I`ve been a Liverpool fan since the days of Kenny and Alan cleaning up in Europe. I created this account so as to comment

IĀ“ll stop supporting Liverpool should they follow the path of absolute greed and leave the English league behind. This plan is a stepping stone for a full breakaway European elite league. That may be something the owners want, but as a fan I love the PL and it being as fair and competitive as is possible (I donĀ“t agree with salary caps etc, though).

Promotion and relegation are fundamental to me following Liverpool. Should they ever decide to compete in a closed league, IĀ“m done. I donĀ“t want to see the same teams playing each other for eternity. even in a mini Champions league style. Imagine a new Leicester win the PL and they canĀ“t compete in the closed tourney? That SUCKS! Likewise European competition is for ALL TEAMS, every minnow deserves to dream of playing in the big stadiums, should they get to the group stage

Liverpool make a profit. Good on them. But they shouldnĀ“t get greedy. It will end my support for them. I donĀ“t follow the corrupt and greedy.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #30: Oct 29, 2020 01:38:16 am
      I`ve been a Liverpool fan since the days of Kenny and Alan cleaning up in Europe. I created this account so as to comment

IĀ“ll stop supporting Liverpool should they follow the path of absolute greed and leave the English league behind. This plan is a stepping stone for a full breakaway European elite league. That may be something the owners want, but as a fan I love the PL and it being as fair and competitive as is possible (I donĀ“t agree with salary caps etc, though).

Promotion and relegation are fundamental to me following Liverpool. Should they ever decide to compete in a closed league, IĀ“m done. I donĀ“t want to see the same teams playing each other for eternity. even in a mini Champions league style. Imagine a new Leicester win the PL and they canĀ“t compete in the closed tourney? That SUCKS! Likewise European competition is for ALL TEAMS, every minnow deserves to dream of playing in the big stadiums, should they get to the group stage

Liverpool make a profit. Good on them. But they shouldnĀ“t get greedy. It will end my support for them. I donĀ“t follow the corrupt and greedy.

The tournament in question (which I don't think will actually happen) is meant to replace the Champions League, not the English Premier League. Even if someone  was motivated solely by finance, they would recognize that leaving domestic competition would be a total blunder - that is never happening.

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #31: Oct 29, 2020 10:14:43 am
      It's a replacement for the Champion's League isn't it?

Not sure we need any changes and can only see this leading to even more fixtures.

So instead of the Champion's League we do this "Super League" instead. FIFA backed...sounds like a way for FIFA to get one over on UEFA.

At the end of the day, we'll still have the Premier League to focus on but if we don't thin some games from some of these other competitions we play in, it sounds like an awful lot of congestion to me.

So FIFA saw UEFA pocketing all these European football money and now wants a share of it. Remember how the top 20 clubs first broke away to form the Premier League and became the competition's shareholders, and left the FA in limbo? We could well see Europe's top clubs doing likewise on a European level. It's nothing new except on a higher level.

Football is live entertainment businesses, in the same vein as WWE, Broadway and West End, and US sports leagues, if you understand what I mean. Fans are customers, players are the entertainers whether scripted or not, and the business has to keep customers coming back while trying to take more. The plot is full of drama - hand biting, calling out refs, managers hitting out verbally against each other, controversial calls, etc.

It is what it is. Entertainment. What happens when you like a product when you shop but can't afford it? Like a luxury property and transport? Yes you'd walk even though you love that supercar or yacht so much. If football becomes entertainment for the rich, them so be it. It's the end of fans and football dies.

It probably won't my view. The rich entertain themselves by buying and selling the clubs.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #32: Oct 29, 2020 10:27:13 am
      FIFA are c**ts...fair play rules, they dont the meaning of it...

In relation to us, we still play in the premier league if this goes through, this would be in conjunction with the domestic leagues. Think 99% of people believe we walk away from the bread and butter and thats why the outcry against it.......

Id be against it because its about money nit football and how the f**k are we meant to play Boca juniors on a wednesday sandwiched in between games in the league...lets cop the f**k on here Gianni, t*at
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #33: Apr 18, 2021 01:45:50 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #34: Apr 18, 2021 01:59:00 pm
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #35: Apr 18, 2021 02:56:44 pm
      Money money money ffs
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #36: Apr 18, 2021 02:59:52 pm

Yep, greedy cu*ts  :f_steam:
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #37: Apr 18, 2021 03:33:05 pm
      Greed...American franchise owners...

Commentators just now saying this one feels much more real than all the previous discussion.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #38: Apr 18, 2021 03:44:28 pm
      Are people really surprised that billionaires place an emphasis on making more money?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #39: Apr 18, 2021 03:47:20 pm
      Are people really surprised that billionaires place an emphasis on making more money?

Not unless they wear rose tinted glasses.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #40: Apr 18, 2021 04:34:29 pm
      Wow looks like this may be announced today/tomorrow. UEFA just released this:

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0268-12121411400e-7897186e699a-1000--statement-by-uefa-the-english-football-association-the-premier-/

If this results us being banned playing in the PL, I may (reluctantly) be done with football. We still have time to pull out of this ridiculous concept.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #41: Apr 18, 2021 04:35:09 pm
      Seems like the football I grew up with is long gone, and not satisfied with that, the individuals that earn millions from it, each and every year, are gonna grab more snd more, until the game is destroyed snd becomes a part of history.
      Perhaps an international fan union type of thing, can be formed so we can have our say, and boycott matches throughout Europe if we need to, to get our messsge across.
      And Iā€™ve never joined a union in my life. But needs must, so we can have some control on our wonderful game.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #42: Apr 18, 2021 04:40:14 pm
      Announcement 9:30 tonight according to the Echo.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #43: Apr 18, 2021 04:42:45 pm
      In the midst of a pandemic people are seeking to gain financial benefits with underhand moves.

F**k the Super League.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #44: Apr 18, 2021 04:53:30 pm
      This could get nasty
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #45: Apr 18, 2021 05:02:17 pm
      Obviously this will have a devastating effect on the Premier league if/when it happens. Killing the game we love domestically. Super league or Premier league, it's not even close for me as it's just a glorified CL whereas I'd take winning the domestic league every time.

Quick Reply