Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

European Super League - Liverpool amongst 12 clubs to join

Read 32925 times
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Re: European Super League - Liverpool amongst 12 clubs to join
      Reply #897: Sep 20, 2021 08:27:40 pm
      Here is the update straight from Eufa.

I hate it. Simple.

For one, it's just too complicated.

But most importantly, this system is giving an unfair advantage to the bigger clubs. More games means it's less likely a "small club" might cause an upset. Over 6 games, they have a small chance. But over 10? Never going to happen.
      The likes of Lyon, Monaco or Ajax reaching the semi-finals, or even Porto winning? Gone. They are basically making sure no "small club" will ever win again.
      And protecting "historic" clubs? Bullshit. If you don't qualify, you don't deserve to play Champion's League football. Period.

Yes, Liverpool might benefit from it, but it goes against everything football should stand for. Football is and should always be a meritocracy.

Basically, it's just the Super League slightly modified and rebranded.  >:(

Oh and also, they are once again adding games to an already overcharged calendar. I'm sure players will love the injuries that come with it.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #898: Sep 20, 2021 08:54:22 pm
      I hate it. Simple.

For one, it's just too complicated.

But most importantly, this system is giving an unfair advantage to the bigger clubs. More games means it's less likely a "small club" might cause an upset. Over 6 games, they have a small chance. But over 10? Never going to happen.
      The likes of Lyon, Monaco or Ajax reaching the semi-finals, or even Porto winning? Gone. They are basically making sure no "small club" will ever win again.
      And protecting "historic" clubs? Bullshit. If you don't qualify, you don't deserve to play Champion's League football. Period.

Yes, Liverpool might benefit from it, but it goes against everything football should stand for. Football is and should always be a meritocracy.

Basically, it's just the Super League slightly modified and rebranded.  >:(

Oh and also, they are once again adding games to an already overcharged calendar. I'm sure players will love the injuries that come with it.

I did say it's basically eufa version of the super League. 👍
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #899: Sep 20, 2021 11:27:41 pm
      Yep

If the rules were in at the moment and last season we finished out of the top 4 we would have got one of those legacy spots

But even those spots are based on performance, just over a longer window of time. The other thing teams were in perpetually, with no requirement for  earning merit going forward.

I don't understand how they landed on 36 teams, and how that translates to a 10-match group stage. Also, where are the additional dates going to come from in the calendar?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #900: Sep 21, 2021 08:11:31 am
      But even those spots are based on performance, just over a longer window of time. The other thing teams were in perpetually, with no requirement for  earning merit going forward.

I don't understand how they landed on 36 teams, and how that translates to a 10-match group stage. Also, where are the additional dates going to come from in the calendar?

To answer the last question I think there is less qualifiers, so squeezed in more group games.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #901: Sep 21, 2021 08:34:35 am
      I think it is simply another way of trying to make more and more money, rather than improve the competition !
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #902: Sep 21, 2021 10:17:06 am
      The obvious conclusion can only be the whole fiasco was a money making exercise devised by our entrepreneurial owners who know F**k all about "soccer".

The football league as we know it is acknowledged as being the best in the world so why change anything?
      The vast majority are against the ill-thought out concept of a "super league" but the few who favour it are supporters of FSG - very much food for thought.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #903: Sep 21, 2021 02:17:35 pm
      The obvious conclusion can only be the whole fiasco was a money making exercise devised by our entrepreneurial owners who know f**k all about "soccer".

The football league as we know it is acknowledged as being the best in the world so why change anything?
      The vast majority are against the ill-thought out concept of a "super league" but the few who favour it are supporters of FSG - very much food for thought.

This is UEFA making the changes 🤷‍♂️ And it’s about the CL

And I don’t recall anyone in “favour” of a Super League
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #904: Oct 19, 2021 11:53:00 pm
      Very very strong rumours a new Super league is being proposed with major changes to the first idea:

https://mobile.twitter.com/theMadridZone/status/1450488455692234755

Thoughts?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #905: Oct 21, 2021 10:27:56 am
      Very very strong rumours a new Super league is being proposed with major changes to the first idea:

Thoughts?

So, just changing some of the numbers from Champions and Europa?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #906: Oct 21, 2021 10:35:55 am
      Sounds very similar to the Eufa version that comes in to play soon.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #907: Oct 21, 2021 10:36:04 am

Thoughts?

No thanks. If barca, Madrid and juve etc are bankrupt or skint let them rot. Oooohh let's start a new competition where we can start afresh spend even more obscene amounts of money and fleece fans even more.

I've felt it since the start that if liverpool join a super league im done with the game. I 80% despise today's game already and the greed, hypocrisy and the corrupted billionaires playground it's become.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #908: Oct 21, 2021 12:07:47 pm
      No thanks. If barca, Madrid and juve etc are bankrupt or skint let them rot. Oooohh let's start a new competition where we can start afresh spend even more obscene amounts of money and fleece fans even more.

I've felt it since the start that if liverpool join a super league im done with the game. I 80% despise today's game already and the greed, hypocrisy and the corrupted billionaires playground it's become.

I'm 56. By the end of my life the game will be unrecognizable.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #909: Oct 21, 2021 12:22:29 pm
      I hope we (owners) shut up and let this play out without us at the fore.

UEFA are as corrupt as anything so I wont get on my high horse and say this is all about greed etc because UEFA are no different.

The biggest factor should be if we enter how it effects our domestic competitions and how it impacts on the real supporters. Cant see how clubs fit everything in on top of internationals, it cant work. And players will be in bits if they try to make it work
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #910: Oct 21, 2021 12:33:19 pm

Thoughts?
      My thoughts are Fck Madrid and Barca they only want this to bail themselves out no thanks they can shove it up their hoop
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #911: Oct 21, 2021 07:43:30 pm
      For all the moral high ground money talks and our owners will be one of the first at the table, greedy cu*ts

Quick Reply