Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Interest in the reds during Covid

Read 2265 times
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Interest in the reds during Covid
      Oct 21, 2020 06:08:05 pm
      I know we've got a thread for the effects of Covid on football, but I thought I'd start a seperate thread as I'm interested in people's opinions on this one

Is anybody finding it difficult to stay interested in Liverpool, and football in general at the minute?

Not to put a downer on what should (& maybe still could?) be a great European fixture, but I'm struggling to stay interested in football at the minute. The derby was sort of an anomaly, which was probably down to bragging rights still being on the line, but apart from that I'm finding it really difficult to get up for the games

I get to about 15 or so homes a season, so I'm certainly missing going the game and the social aspect of it. Very rarely go to the aways so I wouldn't have gone tonight, but I'd have still been right up for watching it at home with a couple of cans. I'll still be doing exactly that but the excitement just isn't there. I've actually forgotten a few times throughout the day / week that we're playing Ajax in the European Cup. Under normal circumstances I'm prety sure this wouldn't have been the case

In terms of wider football I'm not bothered at all, I don't think I've watched a game so far this season that hasn't involved Liverpool. I only found out how Utd got on this afternoon after a quick google on my lunch break.

The no fans is probably the main reason for it all. Whenever I watch games recently I can't help but think that the players are also probably struggling to get up for it in the same way they would, and I feel almost embarrassed watching with the fake crowd noise & trying to delude myself that the spectacle is something it isn't. Add VAR into the mix and awkwardly timed plans of "super leagues", it feels like a completely different sport to the one we had 18 or so months ago.

The end of last season was obviously different because it just felt like a means to an end, the end being our first title in 30 years. I'd have happily watched us play out the remainder of the season as 7-a-side on Walton Hall park as long as it meant we got our elusive title at the end of it all. This new season is a lot more difficult though
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Re: Interest in the reds during Covid
      Reply #1: Oct 21, 2020 06:11:17 pm
      Got to be honest without Football and LFC in particular  it is helping enormously as it allows me to get away from the mundane working from home and routine so massive help for me personally
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #2: Oct 21, 2020 06:19:24 pm
      I think i would miss it big style seeing how anoyed i was over the weekend looking forward to tonights game
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3: Oct 21, 2020 06:22:14 pm
      Got to be honest without Football and LFC in particular  it is helping enormously as it allows me to get away from the mundane working from home and routine so massive help for me personally

The games are tonic and even following between games is a big help for me from all the negativity and just the fatigue that seems to be setting in due to all the restrictions (not saying there shouldn't be any, but it wears me out).

I will say that the Premier League games played one slot at a time I'm not a fan of (I understand the reason). Yesterday I was able to watch a wraparound show with 6 of the Champions League matches on at once and that was quite good. Today I'm watching us of course (free stream on a trial basis  in the U.S. - sign up today on CBS All Access and you get the Ajax match and the Midjtyllan on Tuesday on a free trial), but I'm even recording the live wraparound program.

No doubt it is better with stadia full of fans, but having Liverpool to support is still like water for me in a dry and weary land.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #4: Oct 21, 2020 06:22:29 pm
      Still enjoying watching the reds like I’ve always done & I’m still up for every game we play but I won’t lie no fans being allowed into the grounds & everything that brings, is having an effect.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #5: Oct 21, 2020 06:24:53 pm
      I understand the opening post but it can only be better than no football which we saw not long ago.   There are lots of parties trying test our patience as fans be it VAR, FA or American businessmen but still want to see us play, not got to the stage of walking away yet.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #6: Oct 21, 2020 06:34:25 pm
      I’m actually finding more interest in it at the moment, but I’m still furloughed... so it’s good to actually be able to watch all the games, instead of bits... but it’s also stressing me out more because of the fact I’m watching more, I’m more invested, and with the shambles that is VAR among other things I find my self getting wound up...
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 751 
      Reply #7: Oct 21, 2020 06:41:40 pm
      I think following the Reds keeps spirits up, in these seemingly dark days. Lockdown etc, without football would simply be unpalatable, it is important to have things to take our minds off the current situation, that we are facing, As they say c'mon you Reds.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #8: Oct 21, 2020 06:54:40 pm
      Don't know if it's no crowds, the quick turn around from winning the league last year or the Everton game at the weekend but yeah I agree with you. Just not getting hyped up for the matches. Don't get me wrong when one of our games get underway I'm back to my old self but outside of that I'm not really getting excited for our games as much as usual. Strange feeling.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #9: Oct 21, 2020 07:00:16 pm
      For me the football being on is a great distraction from all that is going on in the world right now.

I'm not a huge pub goer so movies and sports and a few drinks in the house are my main pastimes.

Without the reds life would be a much bigger grind.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #10: Oct 22, 2020 05:34:14 am
      I'd still want to watch, read about, listen & talk about us if I had, Covid, diphtheria, malaria, dysentery, black death, chlamydia, drippy dick, & ring rot, all at the same time 😁🤑🤕🤢💀🙏,

I might have to self isolate for a year or two tho 😀

YNWA
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11: Oct 22, 2020 06:09:13 am
      Now that I've gotten used to matches being played without fans (it was so wierd last season), I'm enjoing and actively looking forward to games.
      Crowd noise being available helps a great deal.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #12: Oct 22, 2020 10:53:25 am
      It seems the enjoyment of life has been sucked out of everything..I don’t get pumped up as much as I used to pre game but watching the Reds gives me some sort of normality..

Take the footy off our screens in these times you would have riots..
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #13: Oct 22, 2020 11:26:32 am
      One of the few things that keep me going
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #14: Oct 22, 2020 12:20:58 pm
      I miss the fans and atmosphere (away games too) immensely. Hopefully this pandemic is over soon.

Watching the NHL playoffs here in the states was brutal without the fans.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #15: Oct 22, 2020 12:39:35 pm
      I'm still unsure if there should be any football that requires international travel.

But F**k me would I be lost without the PL fans or no fans!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #16: Oct 22, 2020 03:52:53 pm
      I feel you, but I'd much rather there be football than none. I'd also say that Virgil's injury has put a bigger damper on things than Covid has, but I take a different approach to the current epidemic...I just try not to read about it or think about it. That helps me a good bit, only problem is, when I watch a game, I see no fans so there's no escaping that aspect of it.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #17: Oct 22, 2020 07:23:44 pm
      It’s not the same. I don’t feel bothered if we win lose or draw atm.
      Maybe I’m distracted by other things. Maybe the title win last season meant I could just ease off.

Who knows.

But I didn’t even watch the Ajax game last night. I checked the score with about 15 minutes to go but still haven’t even watched the highlights. Last season I would have been glued to the tv and internet feeling nerves and all sorts.

Quick Reply