Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Sheff Utd?

Alisson Becker
      2 (2.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      3 (3.8%)
      Joe Gomez
      10 (12.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (5.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      23 (29.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.3%)
      Diogo Jota
      26 (33.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      3 (3.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (6.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.3%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: Oct 28, 2020 08:53:20 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Sheffield United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 15581 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,804 posts | 1399 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Sheffield United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #345: Oct 25, 2020 12:08:31 am
      Nothing to suggest that Klopp shares your opinion mate, I know he changed it up tonight but it will be our usual front three in the biggest games this season, I would count on it.

This.

Klopp has used a 4-2-3-1 formation in the recent past against teams that you know are coming in to park the bus as it allows for an extra attacking player. When the chips are down and big games are being played it will be the front 3 starting every time.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #346: Oct 25, 2020 12:09:49 am
      Pretty easy to see where most of our issues arose, we need Matip back ASAP, as good as Gomez was on the floor he was useless aerially ( and Fab too be fair)  and all those challenges lost were the primary route of attack for the Blades.
      Harrisimo

• 8,219 posts | 1386 
      Reply #347: Oct 25, 2020 12:16:22 am
      I think it turned against us after the BS VAR/Penalty decision, our play then became very inpatient. They were no doubt flustered with that shitty decision, our guys are humans, so heads do go down.

Prior to the PK, we were having a go at them. Leveling it up before half time was the the big turn around for us (captain obvious, I know) second half, we were on the gas pedal, with a couple of blips for Sheffield United.Mo very close to putting the game to rest.

3 points, that’s all that matters. Tough 3 PL fixtures ahead of us too. Nothing tougher  then this Premier league that’s for sure.

Don't think the penalty decision affected  overall quality of our play. They had 13 shots which suggest they got at our back 4 to often. I think it was because we lacked intensity in midfield.They had to much space and time to play. They also did not sit deep even when they were a goal up. They came forward in numbers and we didn't cover Trent or Robbo well enough.

We improved in the second half and could've had one or two more. Better teams will punish tho us if we don't improve. Thiago and Fab with Hendo in mid if Matip gets fit should improve the control and Jota up front with Mo & Sadio. The Boss will be loyal to Bobby but Jota deserves a run in the side.
      « Last Edit: Oct 25, 2020 12:24:52 am by Harrisimo »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #348: Oct 25, 2020 12:16:40 am
      13 from 6 is a decent return given, I'd say, we've had quite a difficult start to the season.

Good to see Alisson back.

On that Sheffield United penalty.  Just two things wrong with it.  1) It wasn't a foul and 2) It wasn't in the area.

For whatever reason, we're being stitched up by VAR this season.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,524 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #349: Oct 25, 2020 12:33:30 am
      Another ridiculous VAR decision for the Fab peno, but maybe Jota could've had a peno against him which wasn't given.
      Overall given where they are, thought would be easier game, but it wasn't.
      Gave Hendo MOTM, thought we were light in the middle with Jota plus front 3, and he did well - miss his leadership too when he's not there.
      Roll on midgetland..
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #350: Oct 25, 2020 01:06:45 am

For whatever reason, we're being stitched up by VAR this season.
      Not one for conspiracies because it’s very ‘blue moon forum-ish’ like but would Liverpool running away with the league again be bad for the league? Do they want a title race because there was none last season...
      The VAR decisions from last week and now this week were so bad those thoughts are popping into my head.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,721 posts | 6707 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #351: Oct 25, 2020 01:07:05 am
      Get the F**k innnnn

Tough, gritty, grinding, come from behind win, that we should never have been behind in the first place!!

Massive 3 points when some of our rivals floundered.

GET fu**ed VAR YOU ABSOLUTE cu*ts!!!

P.S Go Danny Ings, hope u score 8 mate against those Bitter bas**rds!!!!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #352: Oct 25, 2020 06:16:32 am
      Teams 1st, 3rd 4th and 6th....  Played them all .... already .
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #353: Oct 25, 2020 08:43:01 am
      Pretty easy to see where most of our issues arose, we need Matip back ASAP, as good as Gomez was on the floor he was useless aerially ( and Fab too be fair)  and all those challenges lost were the primary route of attack for the Blades.

Yeah it's going to be an area of real concern and at the very end it nearly caught us out straight from a goal kick.

Fab is doing a commendable job back there at the moment but really I want to see him back in midfield with Matip coming in along side Joe in defence. That at least gives us 3 taller defensive players on the pitch who if at worst dont win the headers can put themselves about and negate some of that danger.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,393 posts | 3397 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #354: Oct 25, 2020 10:31:03 am
      BBC website going for the ' were liverpool fortunate ?'angle.  Oh just give it a rest.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,919 posts | 4984 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #355: Oct 25, 2020 10:44:02 am
      I didn’t see the game apart from the pathetic 6 mins of motd, I didn’t pay £14.95 either to the greedy Kunt’s at Sky and couldn’t get a stream to work either, so had to make do with the excellent Steve Hunter’s commentary on Lfctv, needless to say tho that that var decision has convinced me totally that they actually don’t have a f***in clue what they are doing, var was brought in to help referees come to the right and fair decision, so why, using the technology they have at their disposal not see that Fabinho actually got to the ball first, and that contact was on the line, and decide it was a penalty, and why couldn’t Mike Dean look at the pitchside monitor instead of var interrupting play, didn’t they agree that referees could look at the pitchside monitor more this season, it’s not happening so why not ?

Also; If they deem that ‘on the line’ is a penalty, why isn’t ‘on the line’ a goal, we got robbed of a point by 11mm against Citeh because the ball was short of being in the goal, in the 97 point season, same applies at the corner quadrant, if the ball is touching the line it is deemed IN, so why doesn’t the same apply on the goal line ?
      Can anyone explain that to me, cos it does my fookin nut in !

From what I seen (and heard) of the game I thought first half we got rumbled by blades, they were in truth the better side, second half was much better and but for var, again would have had three, thought Jota was very good despite out of position but you can see he’s settled in really well and he’s classy as F**k, also big mention to Gomez, he seems to have taken on the responsibility & challenge set out without the big fella and doing it well, so fair play to him, Fabinho was again brilliant and again proving the doubters wrong,

Other big shouts to Trent, Hendo, & Bobby, that goal will help his confidence, Mane & Mo normal services from both and of course having Ali back is a huge boost, jeez, didn’t we miss him ?

Think we got the Danish pastries next, I’m expecting them to be flakey, 🤪 so a good chance to rotate slightly, it’s CL so wouldn’t change too much, I like the idea of a Jota, Minamino & Shaq front line, Jones in behind with Naby & Thiago if fit, usual back 5, with Joe & Fab to continue their love in, get this won early and we could bring on Rhys, Neco & Kostas,

Many pundits have written us off regarding retaining our title, laughably, they must still think we’re a one man team, losing the big fella at first was deemed the end of our chances for this season, but I just think it will make us even more determined to prove them all wrong yet again, they forget that we have the best manager in the world in charge of the best oiled machine on the planet, can’t wait til May and watch them lining up their guards of honour, again !

Y  N  W  A

bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,266 posts | 281 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #356: Oct 25, 2020 10:57:37 am
      I didn’t see the game apart from the pathetic 6 mins of motd, I didn’t pay £14.95 either to the greedy Kunt’s at Sky and couldn’t get a stream to work either, so had to make do with the excellent Steve Hunter’s commentary on Lfctv, needless to say tho that that var decision has convinced me totally that they actually don’t have a f***in clue what they are doing, var was brought in to help referees come to the right and fair decision, so why, using the technology they have at their disposal not see that Fabinho actually got to the ball first, and that contact was on the line, and decide it was a penalty, and why couldn’t Mike Dean look at the pitchside monitor instead of var interrupting play, didn’t they agree that referees could look at the pitchside monitor more this season, it’s not happening so why not ?

Also; If they deem that ‘on the line’ is a penalty, why isn’t ‘on the line’ a goal, we got robbed of a point by 11mm against Citeh because the ball was short of being in the goal, in the 97 point season, same applies at the corner quadrant, if the ball is touching the line it is deemed IN, so why doesn’t the same apply on the goal line ?
      Can anyone explain that to me, cos it does my fookin nut in !

From what I seen (and heard) of the game I thought first half we got rumbled by blades, they were in truth the better side, second half was much better and but for var, again would have had three, thought Jota was very good despite out of position but you can see he’s settled in really well and he’s classy as f**k, also big mention to Gomez, he seems to have taken on the responsibility & challenge set out without the big fella and doing it well, so fair play to him, Fabinho was again brilliant and again proving the doubters wrong,

Other big shouts to Trent, Hendo, & Bobby, that goal will help his confidence, Mane & Mo normal services from both and of course having Ali back is a huge boost, jeez, didn’t we miss him ?

Think we got the Danish pastries next, I’m expecting them to be flakey, 🤪 so a good chance to rotate slightly, it’s CL so wouldn’t change too much, I like the idea of a Jota, Minamino & Shaq front line, Jones in behind with Naby & Thiago if fit, usual back 5, with Joe & Fab to continue their love in, get this won early and we could bring on Rhys, Neco & Kostas,

Many pundits have written us off regarding retaining our title, laughably, they must still think we’re a one man team, losing the big fella at first was deemed the end of our chances for this season, but I just think it will make us even more determined to prove them all wrong yet again, they forget that we have the best manager in the world in charge of the best oiled machine on the planet, can’t wait til May and watch them lining up their guards of honour, again !

Y  N  W  A

Sky replayed the whole game free at 12-30 mate. Something to keep in mind next time if you can wait 😉
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,303 posts | 276 
      Reply #357: Oct 25, 2020 11:03:47 am
      People were loving it in the media, the Villa hammering and VVD injury they loved writing us off, well like I said last week bring it on... I also said we didn't necessarily need to be as good as last two years depending on what run City go on.. Yesterday proved my point perfectly COYR and come on Southampton...
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #358: Oct 25, 2020 11:13:17 am
      Tough game that.. and difficult to watch at times..
      They bullied us first half and should've been 3-0 up before we scored.
      We weren't physical enough first half and our front three were being stamped on and marked out of the game.. Henderson and Wijnaldum were very quiet.. I was glad to hear the half time whistle.

Second half was much better, quicker movement and quicker distribution of the ball.
      Brilliant header from Jota and if only Mo's goal would've stood, it would have been goal of the season contender for sure.

Decent side Sheffield Utd with some decent players along with a decent manager.
      Glad that fixtures over for another few months..

I'm not even gonna get into a debate about VAR... its just ruining my enjoyment of the game in general and there's F**k all any of us can do about it..

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,919 posts | 4984 
      Reply #359: Oct 25, 2020 11:14:17 am
      Sky replayed the whole game free at 12-30 mate. Something to keep in mind next time if you can wait 😉

Thanks mate, bas**rds kept that quiet the snidey fuckers, I can wait, better than 6 shitty bbc minutes, thanks for the info 👍

Y  N  W  A
      Harrisimo

• 8,219 posts | 1386 
      Reply #360: Oct 25, 2020 12:57:40 pm
      Having the right mentality in the team, the squad is a big plus. In one sense the odd VAR injustice doesn't do any harm to the mentality, obviously better if the decision was in our favour but it can strengthen determination to do even better next game.

And you can't get a result nicked off you any more than a last kick in the Derby. Getting a spiteful decision against us winds up the Boss. We do better when he's narked. What do we want...a contented Boss...or one that thinks..."We'll show the ba****ds.."
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,286 posts | 763 
      Reply #361: Oct 25, 2020 01:30:43 pm
      Good to see Jordan Henderson back, already showing to be a big plus to the side.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #362: Oct 25, 2020 09:14:20 pm
      Don't think the penalty decision affected  overall quality of our play. They had 13 shots which suggest they got at our back 4 to often. I think it was because we lacked intensity in midfield.They had to much space and time to play. They also did not sit deep even when they were a goal up. They came forward in numbers and we didn't cover Trent or Robbo well enough.

I felt that the goal did to the Sheffield players leg after we looked much better side from the start, the good thing for us it was that kind of situation where team scores too early give us lots of time to get back into it. Thought it was a meh performance but grinding which is needed throughout the season, not pretty but 3 points is 3 point. Just wish we would knock off the silly defending errors which result in goal and give our opposition momentum, just makes things so much hard on ourselves.

I like the formation with double pivot and I always felt Gini does really well in deeper role because he can hold the ball in tight space, is good in the air and got good engine to cover a lot of grass. The attacking 4 wasn't really in sync, each player had their moments throughout the but never seen great linking play between them.

Happy for Firmino to get a goal, might take a bit of pressure off him after a poor start to the season and Diogo who is showing early to be a good option to rotate.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #363: Oct 26, 2020 01:56:57 pm
      Quote from AlwaysTheKop
      I’d hate to be a defender in these days with VAR, if it stays I think...

If??? Do you know what the word "permanent" means?

The ref saw the contact so gave a foul. The penalty was given by VAR, as it looked on the line. It was similar to the incident when Mane's penalty in the World Cup was ruled out, and maybe Dean should have gone to look at it. ESPN pundits said the decision was correct. Thommo was spitting blood about it after the game, about why refs are apparantly not using monitors anymore. Monitors were used to make decisions earlier that day, they were used last week. They haven't been  abandoned just because he can't remember the last time they were used, and he should do some basic research before he launches into a rant about monitors.

Fabinho is not a defender, he's a defensive midfielder who plays centre back in an emergency. It was a hard fought win with a new formation, a different centre back partnership, and the new Fab Four upfront. It was the first home win of any kind in the league for 7 days, there have been 3 in the last 18 league games played. At a time when some teams suffer from serious bouts of homesickness, Anfield is still a fortress. So we stretch our lead over City to 5 points. It means we will go there ahead of them, whatever happens.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,919 posts | 4984 
      Reply #364: Oct 26, 2020 05:53:06 pm
      If??? Do you know what the word "permanent" means?

The ref saw the contact so gave a foul. The penalty was given by VAR, as it looked on the line. It was similar to the incident when Mane's penalty in the World Cup was ruled out, and maybe Dean should have gone to look at it. ESPN pundits said the decision was correct. Thommo was spitting blood about it after the game, about why refs are apparantly not using monitors anymore. Monitors were used to make decisions earlier that day, they were used last week. They haven't been  abandoned just because he can't remember the last time they were used, and he should do some basic research before he launches into a rant about monitors.

Fabinho is not a defender, he's a defensive midfielder who plays centre back in an emergency. It was a hard fought win with a new formation, a different centre back partnership, and the new Fab Four upfront. It was the first home win of any kind in the league for 7 days, there have been 3 in the last 18 league games played. At a time when some teams suffer from serious bouts of homesickness, Anfield is still a fortress. So we stretch our lead over City to 5 points. It means we will go there ahead of them, whatever happens.

If the pitchside monitors are there they should be used by the ref full stop, Dean should have looked first and made a decision, if he couldn’t decide Var takes over, that’s how it should work, every game every week every season, Simples !

Y  N  W A
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #365: Oct 26, 2020 07:55:16 pm

The ref saw the contact so gave a foul. The penalty was given by VAR, as it looked on the line.

It's a contact sport of course there is going to be contact if you make a challenge and win the ball which Fabinho did!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #366: Oct 26, 2020 07:57:25 pm

If the pitchside monitors are there they should be used by the ref full stop, Dean should have looked first and made a decision

Y  N  W A

Basically what UEFA do quite successfully unlike the Premier League, who have got it tits up!!
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 28 
      Reply #367: Oct 27, 2020 01:27:17 pm
      I wonder if this is the first time a team has been joint top of the table while boasting the best attack and the joint worst defence?

Quick Reply