Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Midtjylland?

Trent Alexander-Arnold
      38 (56.7%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      9 (13.4%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      11 (16.4%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)
      Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.5%)
      Rhys Williams
      3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: Oct 31, 2020 09:51:39 pm

Liverpool 2-0 FC Midtjylland: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 12748 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,970 posts | 1355 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 FC Midtjylland: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Oct 27, 2020 11:13:08 pm
      Minamino is a bit lightweight. He really isn't a front man. Bit more effective running from deeper position but he just isn't quite good enough. Add him to Origi who needs serious game time to get anywhere near his best add a slow build up and you get next to nothing.

Mina still did have a few half chances but didn't make anything from them. No point in loaning him as he is 25. Jota is a decent player, can we say more than that. With MO & Sadio he will be more effective but I can't see him setting the place alight.

Just got to stay in contention till the next window. What we have might prove we don't need to go to the market but the jury is out and won't deliver a true verdict till at least Xmas.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #415: Oct 28, 2020 12:04:24 am
      and the point of Firmino is?....

Nearly cost us the game with a pathetic 'kick and run' which placed the ball at the foot of the opposing player, who then took it back towards our goal and gave them that huge chance!!  :mad:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #416: Oct 28, 2020 12:14:38 am
      Did nothing wrong.
      With Fab probably out, and Matip injured, could be starting against West Ham - which will be a different kettle of fish

Yep, let's hope Antonio is injured. He came off last week so with any luck.

Terrible performance from most our lads with very special mentions to Divock, Taki Sadio and Bobby,  the latter 2 didn't even look bothered being on.

We aren't playing well at all but we just keep doing enough to win so let's keep going and hope the performances pick thereselves up which I am sure they will and soon!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #417: Oct 28, 2020 12:43:18 am

But that could be a feature. It means he can press better (more!) than Jota or Bobby who have about 10kg over him. What he needs is more confidence and swagger, what he needs is that attitude of Robbo when he chased down City's players - remember this one "legendary moment"? If somebody can give him that hint (Jürgen, good morning, listening?) or he gets it on his own then he can be a core player, else he'll be Shaq 2.0 and will leave in 2-3 years to a second tier club like Borussia Dortmund or back to Salzburg.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #418: Oct 28, 2020 01:20:16 am
      We aren't playing well at all but we just keep doing enough to win so let's keep going and hope the performances pick thereselves up which I am sure they will and soon!

The first half of last season feels like a lifetime ago -- weren't we "not playing well, but still finding ways to win" for most of August to December?  I can't help but feel like our team has evolved from playing the full throttle, exciting gegenpress footie of a few years ago, into a more well rounded side that is both hard to beat and capable of finding a way to win.  It's an old cliche, but the best teams are usually the ones who can win even when they aren't at their best. 
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #419: Oct 28, 2020 04:18:46 am
      Just to add that, for me, noting various poor performances doesn't equate to me wanting them transferred out.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #420: Oct 28, 2020 04:58:12 am
      Is Minamino going to be the new Lallana, on paper looks good but can’t deliver

Cult hero or not Origi is not good enough.

Milner should only come on to to protect a lead late on.

Bobby’s form is now concerning.

Lallana was at a point our best player but got injured. Bad luck. As for Minamino, he has not produced nothing yet. I think Klopp is sometimes unfair, Shaqiri has been here longer and has had more impact when played but he gets less opportunities than Minamino who has been average at best.

Other than that, I agree with you.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #421: Oct 28, 2020 06:50:17 am
      No one had there best game last night. 3 points is the bottom line.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #422: Oct 28, 2020 07:43:43 am
      Lallana was at a point our best player but got injured. Bad luck. As for Minamino, he has not produced nothing yet. I think Klopp is sometimes unfair, Shaqiri has been here longer and has had more impact when played but he gets less opportunities than Minamino who has been average at best.

Other than that, I agree with you.

When was Lallana our best player?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #423: Oct 28, 2020 09:17:00 am
      Word I would use to describe last night would be laboured.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #424: Oct 28, 2020 09:26:33 am
      Minamino is a bit lightweight. He really isn't a front man. Bit more effective running from deeper position but he just isn't quite good enough. Add him to Origi who needs serious game time to get anywhere near his best add a slow build up and you get next to nothing.

Mina still did have a few half chances but didn't make anything from them. No point in loaning him as he is 25. Jota is a decent player, can we say more than that. With MO & Sadio he will be more effective but I can't see him setting the place alight.

Just got to stay in contention till the next window. What we have might prove we don't need to go to the market but the jury is out and won't deliver a true verdict till at least Xmas.

That's the thing with Origi he needs games and lots of them then he will get his sharpness back.

Of course he isnt going to get that here. In truth his playing style has always been at odds with what Klopp is after. On the other hand Minamino is more Klopps preferred style but in my view not close to being good enough for what we need. He looks so small and fragile up there and his confidence is low as well right now. Not sure how much longer we can think of him and Origi as a solution to replacing the front 3 with rotation and injury.

To be worthwhile to us they need to win games without Klopp having to call on the front 3 off the bench, clearly the plan yesterday was for those 3 to sit the night out, and yet all 3 of them were on the pitch by the end.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #425: Oct 28, 2020 09:30:44 am
      A win in Italy next week could as good as seal the group...

That's going to be a hard ask to be fair Atalanta have everything that Mitjyland dont have in terms of goalscoring ability.

But somehow we need to wrap the group up as early as possible. I'd say we should just worry about going through second rather than first. As soon as we are through play reserves because our injury list and fixtures for this season are when combined together a joke.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #426: Oct 28, 2020 09:36:25 am
      That's going to be a hard ask to be fair Atalanta have everything that Mitjyland dont have in terms of goalscoring ability.

But somehow we need to wrap the group up as early as possible. I'd say we should just worry about going through second rather than first. As soon as we are through play reserves because our injury list and fixtures for this season are when combined together a joke.

Presumably Ajax and Atalanta have the same punishing schedule as us don't they? Atalanta might score some goals but don't read to much into the fact that they scored 4 against Midtjylland whilst we laboured to get 2. A better analysis is how they did against Ajax, shipping in 2 goals and scoring twice. I expect something similar against us, there will be goals for both sides but if we can find our rhythm again, and stop dicking around with this 4-2-3-1, then I fancy us to outscore them.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #427: Oct 28, 2020 10:56:37 am

I personally think we’ll go over there and do them
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #428: Oct 28, 2020 11:48:33 am
      Yep, let's hope Antonio is injured. He came off last week so with any luck.

Terrible performance from most our lads with very special mentions to Divock, Taki Sadio and Bobby,  the latter 2 didn't even look bothered being on.

Williams looked comfortable last night, but if playing against WH [teams in the PL] would say they'd target him, heard Antonio might be out alright, hope he is.
      And yea, thought when the 3 lads came on up front would change the game, but it barely did.
      Hope Jürgen is looking at a CB in the winter window, cause we are running short of people to play there, never mind actual CBs!!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #429: Oct 29, 2020 03:58:00 pm
      Once I saw the line up, I knew we were in for a long night. People can blame the performance on the lack of fans, but that doesn't really matter when the front three are replaced by a League Cup team upfront. Throw in the injury to Fab, and the only thing that went for us was the result. Mitdylland are not going to frighten us too much, but Manchester City away just around the corner, in the middle of a defender injury crisis, is a rather different obstacle to get through.

At least the table looks good. And beating Atalanta home and away will secure top spot in the group. But it may be much easier said than done.

Quick Reply