Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Trent- Best position

Read 3062 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Trent- Best position
      Oct 26, 2020 10:32:36 am
      For me, Trent Alexander Arnold is one of the most naturally gifted players we have had at the club. Ever.

His ability on the ball, his passing ability, his running ability. He has it all.

Ive posted in a few match topics that I dont think his positiining is what it should be as a right full, and in my opinion has at times led to Gomez being caught out and Gomez getting blamed.

Id love to see trent in a midfield role. Again what I said above about his ability and fitness levels I think would make him a top class midfielder.

Does anyone think its something we might see occur over time or am I miles off in my view? For me hes just too good a baller to be full back
      « Last Edit: Oct 26, 2020 10:51:08 am by Brian78 »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Trent- Best position
      Reply #1: Oct 26, 2020 10:51:21 am
      Been talked about for ages, perhaps when we have more cover for RB, and a less MF players it might happen, as overlapping full backs him and robbo are almost MF players anyway.

They have more assists than most MF players. ;D
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2: Oct 26, 2020 11:00:40 am
      For me, Trent Alexander Arnold is one of the most naturally gifted players we have had at the club. Ever.

His ability on the ball, his passing ability, his running ability. He has it all.

Ive posted in a few match topics that I dont think his positiining is what it should be as a right full, and in my opinion has at times led to Gomez being caught out and Gomez getting blamed.

Id love to see trent in a midfield role. Again what I said above about his ability and fitness levels I think would make him a top class midfielder.

Does anyone think its something we might see occur over time or am I miles off in my view? For me hes just too good a baller to be full back

So what in your opinion would make him successful as a midfielder? I agree on his positioning and awareness as a work in progress however those are the two key assets every good midfielder possesses.

I find Trent gets a bit lazy at times in tracking his man - look at that McGoldrick chance on weekend  for recent example where he is almost casually jogging back. Offcourse we can’t discount the absolute physical demands of playing fullback in a Klopp team so it could mean he gets gassed a bit too quickly.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3: Oct 26, 2020 11:10:07 am
      Don't get the obsession with him being a midfielder. Hes a class full back which suits his game perfectly. Put him in midfield at who's expense and for what good reason?

Whoever went to full back wouldn't cause nearly as much damage as Trent does with his delivery and Trent wouldn't be able to get those balls into the box from a central position either.

Hes class at what he does, leave him to it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #4: Oct 26, 2020 12:10:45 pm
      Nah, look at how many assists he gets as a fullback in Klopp’s system. If we put him in midfield is he going to be that productive? Personally don’t think so. Not to mention we are already pretty crowded in midfield.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #5: Oct 26, 2020 12:39:57 pm
      Nah, look at how many assists he gets as a fullback in Klopp’s system. If we put him in midfield is he going to be that productive? Personally don’t think so. Not to mention we are already pretty crowded in midfield.

There would be plenty of open spots in midfield for Trent to move there in the future as players like Milner, Gini, Thiago and Hendo get into their 30s and start to take lesser roles.

Something is going to happen between now and when Klopp has communicated he will leave in 2024 as i think he will refresh the team and not leave us with players Van Dijk, Fab, Matip, Hendo, GIni, Thiago, Bobby, Mo and Mane all well into their 30s.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #6: Oct 26, 2020 01:30:27 pm
      Quite happy with his present position to my mind. A class player, wonderful free kick taker and certainly had Barcelona fooled, with the corner kick he took at Anfield !
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #7: Oct 26, 2020 01:36:42 pm
      Quite happy with his present position to my mind. A class player, wonderful free kick taker and certainly had Barcelona fooled, with the corner kick he took at Anfield !

He is definitely a class player, but his defensive game can sometimes costs us goals. Like against Everton where they got behind him and we got scored on. It is not unreasonable to discuss a potential change in position in the future.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #8: Oct 26, 2020 01:50:02 pm

Yes but the system wont work forever and Klopp wont be his manager forever
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #9: Oct 26, 2020 04:00:37 pm
      He is definitely a class player, but his defensive game can sometimes costs us goals. Like against Everton where they got behind him and we got scored on. It is not unreasonable to discuss a potential change in position in the future.

I totally agree with what you are saying, it is only ,my opinion. I think I may have got a bit carried away, after watching his corner kick which completely derailed the Barcelona defence ! What a brilliant night for all Liverpool fans.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #10: Oct 26, 2020 04:14:45 pm

Trents not going to stop crossing like that just because Klopp leaves. The next manager will no doubt be interested in his outragous crossing ability as well.

Hes not amazing defensively but make no mistake about it he is an exceptional player with lots of time ahead of him to get even better.

We should enjoy Trent.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #11: Oct 26, 2020 04:32:40 pm
      Wing-back with the holding midfielder dropping back as a third-CB to cover for Trent and Robbo moving forward.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #12: Oct 26, 2020 05:06:25 pm
      On the pitch
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #13: Oct 26, 2020 05:22:26 pm
      Don't get the obsession with him being a midfielder. Hes a class full back which suits his game perfectly. Put him in midfield at who's expense and for what good reason?

Whoever went to full back wouldn't cause nearly as much damage as Trent does with his delivery and Trent wouldn't be able to get those balls into the box from a central position either.

Hes class at what he does, leave him to it.

This all day long twice On a  Saturday, Sunday , Monday night whenever we play, his assists far outweigh the F**k ups at the back, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it !

Y  N  W  A
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #14: Oct 26, 2020 05:23:12 pm
      Leave him where he is, for as many times he leaves Gomez exposed, he triples that with his balls into the box or cross field, its a decent trade off I think.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #15: Oct 26, 2020 06:58:23 pm
      There are times when Trent tackles and covers more like a midfielder than a defender. You could hardly say about his defending that.."he takes no prisoners.."

At the minute he's a little bit between, bit of a wing back really. I don't think the Boss has any plans to change Trent's position. A lot will depend how we cope without VVD. Pressure is on, right across the back line. Against SU it was noticeable that we didn't get as high as with VVD in the side. Trent will be tested this season more than ever.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #16: Oct 26, 2020 07:33:47 pm

This. So much can happen in even a year's time.

If he's faulted for not getting back defensively, is the solution really to switch him to a position where the primary role in this system is to...cover defensively?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #17: Oct 26, 2020 08:23:59 pm
      Trents defending has never been great. His strength is going forward but i dont think he has been as effective this season for some reason
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #18: Oct 26, 2020 09:05:49 pm
      Been talked about for ages, perhaps when we have more cover for RB, and a less MF players it might happen, as overlapping full backs him and robbo are almost MF players anyway.

They have more assists than most MF players. ;D

Agree word for word. 
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #19: Oct 26, 2020 09:24:30 pm

This all day long twice On a  Saturday, Sunday , Monday night whenever we play, his assists far outweigh the F**k ups at the back, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it !

Y  N  W  A

Totally agree too mate.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #20: Oct 26, 2020 09:40:50 pm
      Wing-back with the holding midfielder dropping back as a third-CB to cover for Trent and Robbo moving forward.

This.
      It’s when the covering player pushes up too far when Trent attacks down the line that we get exposed on the counter. If everyone does their job, no probs.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #21: Oct 26, 2020 09:45:19 pm
      It won't happen under Klopp but who knows what ideas a new manager will bring in a few years time.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #22: Oct 27, 2020 08:26:01 am
      Also I prefer Trent as a full on right back rather than Wing Back.

When he comes from deeper hes even more dangerous than when hes already up the pitch and receiving the ball. Doesn't do much for England when they play him with 3 CBS.

Quick Reply