Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Would success this season make this the clubs greatest side ever?

Read 3404 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Re: Would success this season make this the clubs greatest side ever?
      Reply #23: Nov 14, 2020 12:02:27 pm
      I know that this is being as ahole, but his predecessors didn't get the same funds to buy players (though you can say that they just didn't have his charisma to force it, so that it's basically his achievement). I remember Benitez always losing out on big targets because of no funds.

Or a tit of a chief executive who thought he knew better.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,670 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #24: Nov 14, 2020 12:05:36 pm
      The best is yet to come Keith  ........mu ha ha .   ;D

No no no  :couch:  :lmao:
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #25: Nov 14, 2020 04:51:49 pm
      I regret the modern use of stats to back up opinion. There was that Sky assessment a few months ago discussing the best ever ( or since the 70's?) English side. They had a point system to cover three years, 3 for the European, three for League, 2 for Europa, 2 for the FA, 1 for the League Cup. Paisley 82 came out on top with Fergie's Ronaldo and Rooney side in second. But achievement is only half of greatness, you can't measure the poetry of a side, the beauty of the play. My favourite Liverpool side, my favourite ever domestic side is Kenny's 88. It was from another planet, light years ahead of everyone else and would have won at least two European Cups. I still remember the feeling I had when seeing that 4-0 against Forest.
      Kopite78
      Reply #26: Nov 14, 2020 05:24:57 pm
      . I still remember the feeling I had when seeing that 4-0 against Forest.

The 5-0 against Forest?

Did you switch off early?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #27: Nov 14, 2020 06:05:46 pm
      The 5-0 against Forest?

Did you switch off early?

Hahaha I still think we beat Crystal Palace 8-0 cos my uncle decided we should get off a few minutes before the end of the game to "beat the traffic" as he was taking me with my Dad on nightshift in Fords ;)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #28: Nov 14, 2020 10:26:18 pm
      I wonder if Yurgen can achieve a similar trophy haul as Bob did, in a similar number of seasons ?
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #29: Nov 14, 2020 10:50:08 pm
      I wonder if Yurgen can achieve a similar trophy haul as Bob did, in a similar number of seasons ?

Don't think so, not over three seasons. Maybe if Kompany had not scored that freak goal when they beat us by a point, or the ball not crossing the line by a millimetre - fine lines. And we don't go for the domestic cups at all, the game is so athletic and intense now in comparison that it makes it almost impossible now for any one team to be dominant across all competitions. Not even City have managed that with all their state wealth and financial chicanery.
      « Last Edit: Nov 14, 2020 10:58:08 pm by Isaac! »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,237 posts | 752 
      Reply #30: Nov 14, 2020 11:13:53 pm
      Think Jürgen Klopp will guide us to more silverware before he leaves the club !
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,824 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #31: Nov 15, 2020 08:03:16 am

Dunno about that Jerns, Six prem titles, Three CL’s, another Super cup, Jürgen not to enamoured about the league cup, similarly with the community trophy pish, all in the next 4 seasons, all with the congested fixture lists that will still exist, we’d need to have squad numbers in their 30’s to stand a chance not to mention the quality, can’t see it myself Jerns mate, nah, leave old Bob with his Greatest Ever manager title, he deserves that all to himself bless him.

RIP ‘Sir’Bob

Y  N  W  A
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #32: Nov 15, 2020 02:20:33 pm
      Simply No, the current team still have a hell of a long way to go to emulate the dominance of the teams in the 70's and 80's but they are a damned good team and I still think we'll win the league this season, maybe even CL.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #33: Nov 15, 2020 04:20:57 pm
      Instead of trying to compare just appreciate the team, the play and success when it comes same way we always have.

It's been a while since we've had an aura like we do or been spoken about in the way this team/squad is talked about. Just enjoy it. 
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #34: Nov 15, 2020 05:00:24 pm
      The argument for me comes down to whether you think it was more difficult to win trophies in the 70s and 80s or nowadays.

Back then it was 2 points for a win. A draw was almost as valuable as a win. Plenty of teams were happy to play for a point making it very difficult. Europe was knockout too. If you had an off night then you were out. Nowadays you can lose plenty of games and still win it.

But now, money talks in football. If you don’t have it then you won’t compete. In the past 30 years you can count on one hand the different teams that have finished in the top four (other than the usual culprits). There aren’t many. The days of a team winning the league by grit, hard work and good management are long gone...Leicester being a very rare example. That probably won’t happen again in our life time. Proving just how hard it is to have success.

Chelsea, City, United in particular can go out and buy any player they like and buy as many as they like too. FFP turn a blind eye. If those clubs wanted, they could buy three international players for each position. So how are we supposed to compete with that? In the modern game you need a big squad. Injuries are more common because of the pace of the game now. The fixture lists are longer because of the amount of money in the game now.

The fact Liverpool haven’t only competed, but gone and won both the title and CL in recent years is honestly truly remarkable. Even now I don’t think Jürgen and the boys have been given enough credit. The job Klopp has done has been F***ing outstanding.

For me, what we achieved in the 70s and 80s under tougher layouts and structures was special. Truly special. But in my opinion it is much more difficult to have success in the modern game and therefore if we do go on and win more titles and european cups then this will go down not only as our best ever side, but the best side the country has ever seen.

UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #35: Nov 15, 2020 05:05:24 pm
      The argument for me comes down to whether you think it was more difficult to win trophies in the 70s and 80s or nowadays.

Back then it was 2 points for a win. A draw was almost as valuable as a win. Plenty of teams were happy to play for a point making it very difficult. Europe was knockout too. If you had an off night then you were out. Nowadays you can lose plenty of games and still win it.

But now, money talks in football. If you don’t have it then you won’t compete. In the past 30 years you can count on one hand the different teams that have finished in the top four (other than the usual culprits). There aren’t many. The days of a team winning the league by grit, hard work and good management are long gone...Leicester being a very rare example. That probably won’t happen again in our life time. Proving just how hard it is to have success.

Chelsea, City, United in particular can go out and buy any player they like and buy as many as they like too. FFP turn a blind eye. If those clubs wanted, they could buy three international players for each position. So how are we supposed to compete with that? In the modern game you need a big squad. Injuries are more common because of the pace of the game now. The fixture lists are longer because of the amount of money in the game now.

The fact Liverpool haven’t only competed, but gone and won both the title and CL in recent years is honestly truly remarkable. Even now I don’t think Jürgen and the boys have been given enough credit. The job Klopp has done has been f**king outstanding.

For me, what we achieved in the 70s and 80s under tougher layouts and structures was special. Truly special. But in my opinion it is much more difficult to have success in the modern game and therefore if we do go on and win more titles and european cups then this will go down not only as our best ever side, but the best side the country has ever seen.

Yeah, agree with that.
      It’s a different sport now. I think wining the European cup was a lot harder to qualify for then.

Quick Reply