Trending Topics

Next match: MUFC v LFC [Premier League] Thu 13th May @ 8:15 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Old Trafford

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Nat Phillips Player Thread

Read 4993 times
      tezmac
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,210 posts | 404 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Nat Phillips Player Thread
      Reply #100: Mar 16, 2021 04:11:21 pm
      Nat has done very well considering its Two untried CB's,
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,758 posts | 4717 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #101: Mar 16, 2021 10:26:04 pm
      He's a ripper.

Just go from strength to strength Big Man.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,023 posts | 2688 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #102: Mar 17, 2021 06:52:51 am
      The big factor here will be whete does Nat want to reach?

Is he ok with playing for Liverpool as 4th 5th or 6th choice or does he take a move should it come?

I think if we are totally honest if we intend to be European champions and English champions regularly in the next 10 years then he does not play too often.

I have said all along how well hes doing but he is too inclined to rush in to things, ball follows too much and being honest lacks the recovery speed to make us the best.

Hes a cult hero, like Erik Meijer. We loved him for his heart but nobody wanted big Erik as first choice striker

I disagree, he should be 3rd choice after VVD and Gomez. Both of the others have pace so they will compliment Nat. I would sell Matip and keep Kabak as 4th defender.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #103: Mar 17, 2021 09:23:09 am
      I disagree, he should be 3rd choice after VVD and Gomez. Both of the others have pace so they will compliment Nat. I would sell Matip and keep Kabak as 4th defender.

Nope I see Kabak potentially developing into third choice, or we buy someone even better, we would then have Nat either as 4th or 5th, but with the amount of injuries we always get at CB he'll still get plenty of games. We need 5 CB's at the club.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 27,666 posts | 2835 
      Reply #104: Mar 17, 2021 09:58:16 am
      Nope I see Kabak potentially developing into third choice, or we buy someone even better, we would then have Nat either as 4th or 5th, but with the amount of injuries we always get at CB he'll still get plenty of games. We need 5 CB's at the club.

Yea, he could have a future here and play a decent amount of games filling in but I think we're kidding ourselves if we think he's anything more than that.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,732 posts | 4211 
      Reply #105: Mar 17, 2021 02:58:24 pm

I like what he's done but there's no way he's better than Matip. If Joel can't stay fit, then yes, we need to find a replacement, but when he's fit, Joel is better than Gomez and better than a lot of starting CBs in the world. Phillips is a good 4th choice or maybe 3rd in a pinch, but if we wish to be winning regularly, we can't have him playing regularly.

Take nothing away from him, he's done a good job and done what's been asked in a tough situation, but Jürgen needs ball playing CBs for his system.

I'd rate Nat about the same as a Martin Kelly type. He'd probably do better to go to a smaller club and get regular gametime once we get our starters back.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,572 posts | 739 
      Reply #106: Mar 17, 2021 05:45:44 pm
      I like what he's done but there's no way he's better than Matip. If Joel can't stay fit, then yes, we need to find a replacement, but when he's fit, Joel is better than Gomez and better than a lot of starting CBs in the world. Phillips is a good 4th choice or maybe 3rd in a pinch, but if we wish to be winning regularly, we can't have him playing regularly.

Take nothing away from him, he's done a good job and done what's been asked in a tough situation, but Jürgen needs ball playing CBs for his system.

I'd rate Nat about the same as a Martin Kelly type. He'd probably do better to go to a smaller club and get regular gametime once we get our starters back.

Be interesting what he does with him and Kabak could they be 3rd and 4th choice suppose it depends on Matip
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,758 posts | 4717 
      Reply #107: Mar 18, 2021 12:42:13 am
      Won us that crucial header that started the interplay between the front 3, that led to the winner!!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,997 posts | 474 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #108: Mar 18, 2021 04:26:46 pm
      Big man has taken his chance now. if he keeps this form up rest of the season, he has a chance of staying in the mix long term at LFC.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,023 posts | 2688 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #109: Mar 20, 2021 02:18:23 pm

Matip is not a safe option for us! He's a very good player but made of glass. I would sail his ship elsewhere. We need CBs who are fitness wise very well.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,648 posts | 5335 
      Reply #110: Mar 20, 2021 02:42:42 pm

No one's saying he's better than Matip, but what he is fitter than Matip and usually available to play unlike Matip.
      tezmac

• 8,210 posts | 404 
      Reply #111: Mar 21, 2021 08:09:25 pm
      Think the man should be applauded for his performances this season
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,648 posts | 740 
      Reply #112: Mar 22, 2021 03:49:54 pm
      When we lost Van Dijk, on top of his obvious skill, we also lost a great header of the ball which is a great asset to have not just defensively in clearing danger away in the box but also in recovering possession in midfield when there's a high ball counter attack and he would win the header and we would go back on offense.

Nat has been able to provide that and has been solid in every area. We know he's not starting quality for a team like Liverpool, but could definitely be a solid depth guy for us or a starter at a smaller team.
      harrydunn08

• 5,460 posts | 770 
      Reply #113: Apr 02, 2021 03:12:24 am
      Congrats to Big Nat on winning player of the month!!  Keep it up lad!!  A few more wins in the CL and you can cement yourself in LFC history forever  :gt-happyup:
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,572 posts | 739 
      Reply #114: Apr 02, 2021 09:50:59 pm
      Congrats to Big Nat on winning player of the month!!  Keep it up lad!!  A few more wins in the CL and you can cement yourself in LFC history forever  :gt-happyup:

Cue him now having a shocker now tomorrow  🤣
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,934 posts | 1997 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #115: Apr 02, 2021 09:51:24 pm
      Play up Nat

👏👏👏
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,507 posts | 2176 
      Reply #116: Apr 02, 2021 11:23:21 pm

Well deserved
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,758 posts | 4717 
      Reply #117: Apr 05, 2021 12:16:57 am
      He doesn't lose a Header does he?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,648 posts | 5335 
      Reply #118: May 06, 2021 07:42:16 pm
      https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1390262566127996931

Someone being primed for a new contract?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,934 posts | 1997 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #119: May 07, 2021 11:43:04 am
      Like the lad

But I dont see us having a 5th ranked centre half earning 65 grand a week to play the odd cup game should we get Konate and Kabak in
      L4.19Times
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts | 72 
      Reply #120: May 07, 2021 02:44:48 pm
      Like the lad

But I dont see us having a 5th ranked centre half earning 65 grand a week to play the odd cup game should we get Konate and Kabak in

I just had to look that up

How in the f**king world is Nat on 65k a week? That’s mental, especially in our wage structure

He earns 15k a week more than Robbo and 10k a week less than Gomez and Trent

He must have the second best agent in the world to get that (behind Chupa Moting)

In my head he would be in Neco Williams wage bracket, before this season the lad had played once for the first team
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,648 posts | 740 
      Reply #121: May 07, 2021 02:55:57 pm
      I just had to look that up

How in the f**king world is Nat on 65k a week? That’s mental, especially in our wage structure

He earns 15k a week more than Robbo and 10k a week less than Gomez and Trent

He must have the second best agent in the world to get that (behind Chupa Moting)

In my head he would be in Neco Williams wage bracket, before this season the lad had played once for the first team

I think i might question the reliability of the reported wages. For example, is Tsimikas really on 90K/wk? Grujic on 85K? Taki on 75K? Awoniyi on 60K?

https://www.sportekz.com/football/liverpool-players-salaries/

L4.19Times
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts | 72 
      Reply #122: May 07, 2021 02:57:56 pm
      I think i might question the reliability of the reported wages. For example, is Tsimikas really on 90K/wk? Grujic on 85K? Taki on 75K? Awoniyi on 60K?

https://www.sportekz.com/football/liverpool-players-salaries/

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/liverpool-fc/payroll/

Spotrac tends to be more reliable
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 104 posts | 29 
      Reply #123: May 07, 2021 05:11:48 pm

Don't think I'll be buying the 'Nayt Phillips - this means more!' DVD: the incredible story of Nayt Phillips (SPOILER ALERT - he nearly got on a plane but then he changed his mind!!). Nice bit of marketing garbage though, it's got FSG all over it.

Phillips better not be getting a contract or the next DVD will be 'Liverpool - Back to the Hodgson Months'

Phillips has not the first idea about defending unless it's trying to get his head on the ball. He's not even that good at that. Seen him jump to head a ball against Real that bounced way in front of him and went about 4 feet over his head and straight into 10 yards of space behind him for Benzema to run onto. Somehow Real fu**ed up the rest, which shows how sh*t Real are currently (Chelsea took the absolute piss out of them and so would we have done with our first choice line-up).

Juergen must have a blind spot here; got a bit of a man crush on Nayt cos he reminds him of himself when he was a 2nd division centre half (though Phillips looks more Division 4 level than Division 2)

Rhys is better than Phillips. At least Rhys has a tactical brain and is actually very astute at the offside trap for a lad so young; prob better than most centre halves with hundreds of appearances behind them. Gomez struggles with it too but has the recovery pace to help compensate. Phillips certainly doesn't. That's not to say Rhys should be anywhere near playing for a Klopp side that plays such a high line either, but he can defo do a job for a team that sits deeper and has a coach that likes to run an offside trap; someone like Rafa, who was brilliant at coaching it.

Any superfan support for Phillips will soon dry up as soon as fans are back in the stadium. It's different being there in the flesh. When you've got a spec behind the goal you see stuff you don't see on the telly, you see the whole pitch, and you're way more emotionally involved. There is no hiding place for the players. The Anfield crowd are going to spot someone jumping for a header 4 feet underneath the ball to leave a top striker bearing down on goal. See how good Nayt supposedly is then when he's got 45,000 screaming blue murder at him.

Superfan support for players of Phillips' level usually lasts abar half a dozen games and then they give up and then the social media abuse brigade take over. Ask Neco.

If Edwards sticks a 5-year contract for Phillips under Hogan's nose, Hogan should fire him on the spot for gross incompetence. Edwards should be fired anyway if Gini's allowed to walk away on a free. Shambolic.
      tezmac

• 8,210 posts | 404 
      Reply #124: May 07, 2021 09:20:35 pm

Strange salaries there almost feel sorry for Robo.....almost

Quick Reply