Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Goals - Do you celebrate anymore?

Read 7175 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Goals - Do you celebrate anymore?
      Nov 01, 2020 08:39:15 pm
      Has var killed your enjoyment of a goal? Do you celebrate anymore? Or do you find yourself just staring at rhe screen waiting on the var call?

Last night for example late goal to win it but instead if jumping up celebrating im telling my son hang on wait for var, waiting on an offdide or some other reason not to be a goal.

Is it killing the buzz for everyone?
      « Last Edit: Nov 03, 2020 01:44:38 pm by JD »
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Re: Goals- Do you celebrate anymore?
      Reply #1: Nov 01, 2020 08:40:42 pm
      Yup it's absolutely sh*te.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #2: Nov 01, 2020 08:45:41 pm
      Nope, well not celebrate to the level I usually would, you might get a ‘Get in!’ out of me once the goal has been given but nothing more than that.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #3: Nov 01, 2020 08:55:47 pm
      On pause for the VAR man ,its hellish totally kills football for me
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4: Nov 01, 2020 09:08:44 pm
      Has var killed your enjoyment of a goal? Do you celebrate anymore? Or do you find yourself just staring at rhe screen waiting on the var call?

Last night for example late goal to win it but instead if jumping up celebrating im telling my son hang on wait for var, waiting on an offdide or some other reason not to be a goal.

Killing it for me that's for sure.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #5: Nov 01, 2020 09:22:42 pm
      Not totally for me as when we score I do kind of forget about a VAR check for a few seconds.

KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #6: Nov 01, 2020 09:24:05 pm
      I feel every time i celebrate a goal at the moment it gets ruled out by VAR... So now i have a muted celebration after VAR has looked at it..VAR is slowly sucking the life out of the game
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #7: Nov 01, 2020 10:15:58 pm
      I still scream & shout once we score but if VAR rules it out I curse the F**k out the ref & officials...
      Kopite78
      Reply #8: Nov 01, 2020 10:21:09 pm
      Honestly?
      No, VAR has taken that spontaneity out of it
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #9: Nov 01, 2020 10:39:31 pm
      I still scream & shout once we score but if VAR rules it out I curse the f**k out the ref & officials...

Yep same!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #10: Nov 01, 2020 10:44:48 pm
      Quote from Brian78

I celebrate goals if I don't think there's an issue.
      I stifle celebrations if I think there may be an issue with it.
      I delay all celebrations if I believe it will be disallowed, until after the check is passed.

20 of our goals have counted in our 9 VAR games this season. 3 have not counted. So the vast majority of times we put the ball in the net, the goal stands. It's not killing the game at all, football is still as popular as ever. We all decide to watch our games knowing that VAR may have to step in at some point and make a decision. But as we've already seen this season, wrong decisions come with consequences. Correct decisions mean fairer results. If it takes a bit longer to get them, I can live with that.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,409 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #11: Nov 01, 2020 10:45:48 pm
      Yes
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Nov 01, 2020 10:59:43 pm
      I did when Jota scored the second winner!!!

My exact words I screamed out were: "Try taking that off us you cu*ts!"
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #13: Nov 01, 2020 11:22:51 pm
      I mean there is usually a difference between the goals that are pretty obviously going to stand and then those that could be ruled out. It’s not that much difference to looking for the offsides flag before VAR. I would usually celebrate only to then see the flag go up. Now I’m usually pretty confident a goal is going to stand before I completely lose my sh*t.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 339 
      Reply #14: Nov 01, 2020 11:23:54 pm
      I don't celebrate even when a goal's given, just a fist pump and a yes will do.  The moment has passed.
      Sad but true.  VAR is killing football and making it a laughing stock.

I just watched Harry Kane deliberately back into a jumping Adam Lallana to tip him in mid air in such a way that he could have broken his neck.  Lallana is unable to avoid landing on his upper back with his arm across Kane.  Kane gets a penalty.  In rugby its called a spear tackle and considered one of the most dangerous things you can do.  VAR has a look and agree that Kane was the one being fouled.

Utter and complete madness. 

Maybe I'm off topic but its not just VAR that's wrong, its the game's moral sense of right and wrong.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #15: Nov 02, 2020 12:15:07 am
      i am a hollow shell. fixed football games have sapped me of humanity. the 3-2 victory against everton chalked off and declared 2-2 was the moment that broke the space-time continue. nothing will ever be the same.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #16: Nov 02, 2020 12:43:50 am
      Iv always celebrated goals like Rafa did. Keep my poker face. Might glance at my watch.
      But inside I’m dancing.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #17: Nov 02, 2020 03:43:21 am
      I still scream & shout once we score but if VAR rules it out I curse the f**k out the ref & officials...

Yep, me too, then feel angered and completely deflated, VAR is killing the excitement and sheer elation you get, it’s the reason we love the game, now, what are we going to do about it, F**k All, that’s what, everyone who Loves the game are saying the same thing, from us fans, the players, managers, pundits even the owners, well some of them,

Has it reached the point where fans just say F**k it, I’m not going anymore, if it hasn’t yet, it should,
       because I don’t think it will change until something like that happens, what are we talking about here ?

We’re talking about ppl who have never played the game, that don’t understand the intricacies of the game, don’t have the same emotional attachment that we fans have, making decisions that are killing the enjoyment, the elation, the excitement and the sheer joy of scoring a goal, the very point of playing the game, just so they can be seen as following the rules, this cannot be allowed to continue,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with VAR in itself, it’s a fantastic tool, the problem is that it’s been used for the wrong reasons by ppl who do not understand football and all that comes with it, and until they rectify that, we the fans, the players et al will hate it and want it fu**ed Off !!!

Y  N  W  A

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #18: Nov 02, 2020 06:48:12 am
      Not totally for me as when we score I do kind of forget about a VAR check for a few seconds.

That's me. I still emote, but then the rug gets pulled out from under me
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #19: Nov 02, 2020 08:10:48 am
      It's like 2 stages or levels of celebration, one for the goal, then one when confirmed or some swearing if its harshly chalked offside. For example the Mane/Jota goal I felt was a bit iffy in real time so  I didn't celebrate that as much as I did the winner althoguh I was half expecting the cu*ts to find some way of disallowing it!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #20: Nov 02, 2020 09:15:11 am
      Can I ask if any of you guys watch Rugby or Cricket or many other sports with Video refereeing. How is VAR in football any different to those sports. Whenever you have a decision that goes to video referee you have that tension, will it or won't it stand. Once you get used to it, it sort of enhances the celebration in my opinion.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #21: Nov 02, 2020 12:51:59 pm
      I haven’t since the winner in the derby got ruled out.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #22: Nov 02, 2020 02:36:02 pm
      Can I ask if any of you guys watch Rugby or Cricket or many other sports with Video refereeing. How is VAR in football any different to those sports. Whenever you have a decision that goes to video referee you have that tension, will it or won't it stand. Once you get used to it, it sort of enhances the celebration in my opinion.

I watch quite a bit of Rugby both Union & League and in both codes they have VAR absolutely spot on, every week in every game incidents happen that require assistance from the TMO, Third Match Official, the referee is in constant communication and together they come to a decision looking at the footage of said incident on a big screen , the fans know immediately what’s happening and 99% of the time they get it right, of course not everyone will agree but the vast majority do and accept that decision ,

While this is happening the clock is stopped and that insures the full 80 minutes is actual playing time, I wouldn’t particularly want that in football but the big screen and the communication between the ref & var would IMO eliminate all the uncertainty and the ‘what the F**k is happening’ fans experience during the game,
      In Cricket it’s similar, and they have ex players as umpires/ TMO’s so know the game inside out, and again incidents are scrutinised using Slo- Mo cameras, another advantage that can be utilised in football, a prime example was Mane’s attempt to win the ball against Fabianski, in Slo-Mo it shows Mane’s leg go under the keeper therefore  so no foul and that goal would have stood,

I can’t for the life of me understand why the Technology is being used in such a way that it’s actually making matters worse, but the same Technology used in other sports has actually advanced their game and made it so much fairer.

Y  N  W  A
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #23: Nov 02, 2020 02:41:20 pm

I watch quite a bit of Rugby both Union & League and in both codes they have VAR absolutely spot on, every week in every game incidents happen that require assistance from the TMO, Third Match Official, the referee is in constant communication and together they come to a decision looking at the footage of said incident on a big screen , the fans know immediately what’s happening and 99% of the time they get it right, of course not everyone will agree but the vast majority do and accept that decision ,

While this is happening the clock is stopped and that insures the full 80 minutes is actual playing time, I wouldn’t particularly want that in football but the big screen and the communication between the ref & var would IMO eliminate all the uncertainty and the ‘what the f**k is happening’ fans experience during the game,
      In Cricket it’s similar, and they have ex players as umpires/ TMO’s so know the game inside out, and again incidents are scrutinised using Slo- Mo cameras, another advantage that can be utilised in football, a prime example was Mane’s attempt to win the ball against Fabianski, in Slo-Mo it shows Mane’s leg go under the keeper therefore  so no foul and that goal would have stood,

I can’t for the life of me understand why the Technology is being used in such a way that it’s actually making matters worse, but the same Technology used in other sports has actually advanced their game and made it so much fairer.

Y  N  W  A

I agree the technology is used much better in other sports, but you still have the same situation where for example in cricket you have an LBW which then gets reviewed, at what time do you celebrate? In Rugby a try is scored right up against the side line, it gets checked to see if the player had his foot on the line, again at what time do you celebrate? I see football goals in exactly the same way as the above examples, I celebrate at the goal/try/wicket, then again when its confirmed.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #24: Nov 02, 2020 03:25:20 pm
      I agree the technology is used much better in other sports, but you still have the same situation where for example in cricket you have an LBW which then gets reviewed, at what time do you celebrate? In Rugby a try is scored right up against the side line, it gets checked to see if the player had his foot on the line, again at what time do you celebrate? I see football goals in exactly the same way as the above examples, I celebrate at the goal/try/wicket, then again when its confirmed.

In those examples you mentioned the fans know that it’s possible a player’s foot may have touched the line so if it goes to the TMO it’s immediate that there is doubt surrounding the score, they still celebrate the try being scored but it’s acceptable that it could be cancelled, the point being they are aware of what is occurring because all the information is at hand immediately using the on screen footage and the comms between the ref & the TMO, the disappointment is therefore less and the decision is acceptable because the fans are involved during the enquiry and can see the reasons why on the big screen.

Y  N  W  A
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #25: Nov 02, 2020 04:00:37 pm

In those examples you mentioned the fans know that it’s possible a player’s foot may have touched the line so if it goes to the TMO it’s immediate that there is doubt surrounding the score, they still celebrate the try being scored but it’s acceptable that it could be cancelled, the point being they are aware of what is occurring because all the information is at hand immediately using the on screen footage and the comms between the ref & the TMO, the disappointment is therefore less and the decision is acceptable because the fans are involved during the enquiry and can see the reasons why on the big screen.

Y  N  W  A

Again you are referring to the process and usage being better in other sports, I 100% agree, but what's being discussed here is when you celebrate. In all 3 sports you have to wait for the Video referee, for example when Jota first scored yesterday I had a feeling it might get chalked off, even in real time, whilst for his second I was pretty damned sure it was good. It really didn't affect my enjoyment of the goal in any way, its like an initial Yes, fist pump then contentment when its confirmed.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #26: Nov 02, 2020 04:36:37 pm
      Again you are referring to the process and usage being better in other sports, I 100% agree, but what's being discussed here is when you celebrate. In all 3 sports you have to wait for the Video referee, for example when Jota first scored yesterday I had a feeling it might get chalked off, even in real time, whilst for his second I was pretty damned sure it was good. It really didn't affect my enjoyment of the goal in any way, its like an initial Yes, fist pump then contentment when its confirmed.

Like I said, in rugby fans still celebrate the try, at the time it happens, but if it were referred to the TMO, they are fully aware what is happening because of the proper use of the Technology at hand, if for any reason said try has to be chalked off the fans can see the reason why on the big screen and if necessary the referee can give hand signals to indicate for example a forward pass prior to going over the try line.

Hope that clears things up for you mate, or shall I refer the matter to the VAR 🤪

Y  N  W  A
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #27: Nov 02, 2020 07:08:51 pm

Absofuckinglutley
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,127 posts | 127 
      Reply #28: Nov 02, 2020 08:45:10 pm
      As the OP, hell yeah, but as far as this VAR is concerned, as far as incompitent refs, they have moved it to incompitant 'no marks', who live arond a screen.
      If they cant see what everyone else sees, well done FA and Refs assoc. you've fu**ed this game up.  TOSSERS
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #29: Nov 02, 2020 09:10:35 pm
      I do still celebrate goals! Punched the air when Jota's first goal went in but I pay a lot more attention in the seconds after!

My view is that if they cant confirm an offside or not before everyones back at the centre circle, then its obviously not offside! Simple solution I think.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #30: Nov 03, 2020 08:20:17 am
      Quote from TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      I don't celebrate even when a goal's given, just a fist pump and a yes will do.  The moment has passed.
      Sad but true.  VAR is killing football and making it a laughing stock.

This week is the anniversary of when we won 5-0 at Everton in 82, when we had 2 other goals disallowed. One was by Dalglish when the game was still a contest, where his goal was ruled out for offside, then given, then ruled out again all in about 30 seconds. It's fair to say emotions were running high after it.

There wasn't the resources then to see if the decision was right or not, and nobody cares about it because we took them to the cleaners after half time. But we now have the resources and it would be stupid not to use them. It could have been 7-0 instead of 5-0, and it would never be beaten again.

Quote from billythered

Y  N  W  A

If rugby fans can accept it, why can't football fans? Fair enough, if they speak the same language as the referees, they can understand why a decision was changed, but nobody likes a decision changed against them. I suppose it's to do with the culture, where the ref's word is law in rugby, but his word in football is questioned in our sport, by players, pundits, coaches, fans. People demanding to know where he's from and what his allegiances are. You have the LFCTV commentator shrieking that we're all "sick of it" at the weekend, and even when it goes our way, he starts every subsequent report of the said game with his "a game dominated by VAR" catchphrase, even when it was just one decision over 45/90 minutes.

We score 100+ valid goals per season across the various competitions. They all count, because they should count. 90-95% of all the goals we score during the year stand, so it's ok to celebrate the vast majority of the time. A handful are disallowed, but they're disallowed because they have to be, not to be a killjoy. Once a goal is valid, there's no problem.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31: Nov 03, 2020 09:02:47 am

Like I said, in rugby fans still celebrate the try, at the time it happens, but if it were referred to the TMO, they are fully aware what is happening because of the proper use of the Technology at hand, if for any reason said try has to be chalked off the fans can see the reason why on the big screen and if necessary the referee can give hand signals to indicate for example a forward pass prior to going over the try line.

Hope that clears things up for you mate, or shall I refer the matter to the VAR 🤪

Y  N  W  A

I think we are more or less on the same page mate.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #32: Nov 03, 2020 09:15:01 am
      This week is the anniversary of when we won 5-0 at Everton in 82, when we had 2 other goals disallowed. One was by Dalglish when the game was still a contest, where his goal was ruled out for offside, then given, then ruled out again all in about 30 seconds. It's fair to say emotions were running high after it.

There wasn't the resources then to see if the decision was right or not, and nobody cares about it because we took them to the cleaners after half time. But we now have the resources and it would be stupid not to use them. It could have been 7-0 instead of 5-0, and it would never be beaten again.

If rugby fans can accept it, why can't football fans? Fair enough, if they speak the same language as the referees, they can understand why a decision was changed, but nobody likes a decision changed against them. I suppose it's to do with the culture, where the ref's word is law in rugby, but his word in football is questioned in our sport, by players, pundits, coaches, fans. People demanding to know where he's from and what his allegiances are. You have the LFCTV commentator shrieking that we're all "sick of it" at the weekend, and even when it goes our way, he starts every subsequent report of the said game with his "a game dominated by VAR" catchphrase, even when it was just one decision over 45/90 minutes.

We score 100+ valid goals per season across the various competitions. They all count, because they should count. 90-95% of all the goals we score during the year stand, so it's ok to celebrate the vast majority of the time. A handful are disallowed, but they're disallowed because they have to be, not to be a killjoy. Once a goal is valid, there's no problem.

All they need to do in football is open up the referee's mike to the stadium and TV, that s what they do in all other sports, I have no idea why they don;t in football, it would be a big step in the right direction, they also need to adjust some rules to make football fit in with VAR, for example offside needs to have a tolerance built into it favouring the attacking team so that level, as Mane was, is not offside, it has to be offside to the naked eye, not by a few mm on a dodgy drawn line.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      Reply #33: Nov 03, 2020 09:48:06 am
      Think its more a scenario of that brief second when the bsll hits the net the usual elation but the brain now kicks in automatically to tell you to sit down and wait for var.

Its ruining it either way. Especially when some calls are wrong
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #34: Nov 03, 2020 09:57:14 am
      Think its more a scenario of that brief second when the bsll hits the net the usual elation but the brain now kicks in automatically to tell you to sit down and wait for var.

Its ruining it either way. Especially when some calls are wrong

OK but is it the same in Cricket and Rugby etc, forget how VAR is implemented, do you also feel video refereeing is spoling your celebration in those sports as well, if not why? Perhaps remember before those sports had VAR, did you enjoy a try or wicket more or less?
      You see I think its just an adjustment, for example everyone is now used to VAR in Rugby and Cricket and the same will happen in football, just give it a few more years, but absolutely it needs to be applied better, that is not in question.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      Reply #35: Nov 03, 2020 10:21:17 am
      OK but is it the same in Cricket and Rugby etc, forget how VAR is implemented, do you also feel video refereeing is spoling your celebration in those sports as well, if not why? Perhaps remember before those sports had VAR, did you enjoy a try or wicket more or less?
      You see I think its just an adjustment, for example everyone is now used to VAR in Rugby and Cricket and the same will happen in football, just give it a few more years, but absolutely it needs to be applied better, that is not in question.

Not being smart here, but I dont really care about the calls in rugby and defo not arsed with cricket. Im talking about watching my team, or football in general, and the enjoyment of a goal being effectively taken out of the game...Waiting 2 minutes for var to decide to tell the ref to check himself and for him to decide a pubic hair was offside or on so the goal stands or doesnt deteacts from the impact of the goal if given....its a mockery at this point..

But to be fair to you, rugby has ut down to a tee becayse the ref and tmo are miced up so I know what and why they are checking
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36: Nov 03, 2020 11:10:17 am
      Not being smart here, but I dont really care about the calls in rugby and defo not arsed with cricket. Im talking about watching my team, or football in general, and the enjoyment of a goal being effectively taken out of the game...Waiting 2 minutes for var to decide to tell the ref to check himself and for him to decide a pubic hair was offside or on so the goal stands or doesnt deteacts from the impact of the goal if given....its a mockery at this point..

But to be fair to you, rugby has ut down to a tee becayse the ref and tmo are miced up so I know what and why they are checking

OK but for Rugby in the example I gave previously of a try scored right up against the sideline, does it affect your enjoyment that the try is checked via TMO? I think that is a direct parallel with a goal being checked in VAR
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      Reply #37: Nov 03, 2020 11:24:25 am
      OK but for Rugby in the example I gave previously of a try scored right up against the sideline, does it affect your enjoyment that the try is checked via TMO? I think that is a direct parallel with a goal being checked in VAR

no because im not an avid rugby supporter, i enjoy watching it but not with true passion.

Also in Rugby you find the commentary team, here in Ireland anyway, are excellent and nearly always call the reason as the play is unfolding as to why a try might not be awarded so you nearly expect the tmo call.

So fir me personally its not the same ball park as seeing Henderson score against Everton the commentary to carry on as if its a goal only for 30 seconds later to see var on the screen drawing lines that make no sense. Oh ill start a line.....here....oh hes past that line with his thumbnail...offside....i ts bollox.....in rugby most calls are clear and rarely arguable football cant say that
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #38: Nov 03, 2020 11:59:53 am
      I'm sure you would have wanted VAR in operation that night in Paris.

Quote from Brian78

Waiting 2 minutes for var to decide to tell the ref to check himself and for him to decide a pubic hair was offside or on so the goal stands or doesnt deteacts from the impact of the goal if given....its a mockery at this point.

If you can't see the game live, then waiting 2 minutes for a decision is a breeze. You might be waiting 10 minutes later online, or even a few hours later if you've missed the game altogether.

If I'm watching live, I won't sit down for a goal. If I think there may be something up with it, I will get up, celebrate, say "that needs to be checked", then wait for the replay. Once it gets the all clear, I will continue celebrating. But if I can't see the game live, then I can't celebrate when we score, VAR or not. I'm just happy we have. I was working during all the big European nights in 04/05. When you're working, you can't celebrate. You simply find out what's happened, and continue working.

Regardless of the celebrations, the most important thing is we've scored, which will hopefully get us the 3 points on the day, and ultimately the league title.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      Reply #39: Nov 03, 2020 12:10:47 pm
      I'm sure you would have wanted VAR in operation that night in Paris.

If you can't see the game live, then waiting 2 minutes for a decision is a breeze. You might be waiting 10 minutes later online, or even a few hours later if you've missed the game altogether.

If I'm watching live, I won't sit down for a goal. If I think there may be something up with it, I will get up, celebrate, say "that needs to be checked", then wait for the replay. Once it gets the all clear, I will continue celebrating. But if I can't see the game live, then I can't celebrate when we score, VAR or not. I'm just happy we have. I was working during all the big European nights in 04/05. When you're working, you can't celebrate. You simply find out what's happened, and continue working.

Regardless of the celebrations, the most important thing is we've scored, which will hopefully get us the 3 points on the day, and ultimately the league title.

Funny thing is that game highlights how well it works in rugby. Ireland in for a try French player taps ball over line purposely. Commentator says well get a penalty try, his co commentator says we might not as France had a covering player. Goes to Tmo, yellow card for the player for knocking the ball out, no try as no certainty Irish player grounds the ball as covering French player might get across...No disputes grest call done in a minute to 90 seconds

Var on the other hand is so open that we play on lusten to commentators describe the goal only for var to pop up show us lines for 3 mins that more often then not are started in questionable areas, then after 3 mins they bottle it and tell the ref to check himself. Now we are seeing refs overturn their own calls.

A refs call should be final unlesd he calls for var if hes in doubt. Every jsysus call going to var, even the clearest of goals its a load of me arse
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #40: Nov 03, 2020 12:23:48 pm
      Them brazilian commentators used to celebrate goals passionately.  Goaal  goal goal...... goal Gooaal. 
      What is it now Goal goal VAR VAAR....... VAAR!
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #41: Nov 03, 2020 12:46:37 pm
      My celebrations now consist of a small fist pump to myself 3 minutes or so after the goal has been scored..... if it is actually given.

It is killing the game.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #42: Nov 03, 2020 01:19:40 pm
      Quote from Brian78
      Funny thing is that game highlights how well it works in rugby. Ireland in for a try French player taps ball over line purposely. Commentator says well get a penalty try, his co commentator says we might not as France had a covering player. Goes to Tmo, yellow card for the player for knocking the ball out, no try as no certainty Irish player grounds the ball as covering French player might get across...No disputes grest call done in a minute to 90 seconds

Var on the other hand is so open that we play on lusten to commentators describe the goal only for var to pop up show us lines for 3 mins that more often then not are started in questionable areas, then after 3 mins they bottle it and tell the ref to check himself. Now we are seeing refs overturn their own calls.

A refs call should be final unlesd he calls for var if hes in doubt. Every jsysus call going to var, even the clearest of goals its a load of me arse

Most VAR checks last 60-90 seconds max. It's the few that take a bit longer that make the headlines.

I think the signal "VAR CHECK COMPLETE" should appear in the stadium after every incident has been routinely checked, rather than have players standing around not knowing what's going on. But I think the ref conversation with VAR only really works on television, not in a stadium. Some countries already broadcast it on air after the call has been made.
      redclocker
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42 posts |
      Re: Goals - Do you celebrate anymore?
      Reply #43: Nov 03, 2020 03:16:39 pm
      Glad its not just me who no longer celebrates, for me its since Henderson's goal was disallowed. Not even that bothered about watching the match live now. I've had a season ticket for years but if can't enjoy it what the point?

Watched two Northern Ireland games live on telly, Linfield, last week and standard wasn't brilliant but it was old fashioned and enjoyable, I've even bought their new away shirt!! May be trips to Belfast when allowed, already been to Windsor twice and seen them three times on the mainland so not completely new.   
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #44: Nov 03, 2020 03:30:13 pm
      I'm also with you on this. I only celebrate if it is really obviously goal like a free-kick or something from outside the box.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #45: Nov 03, 2020 03:39:54 pm
      All they need to do in football is open up the referee's mike to the stadium and TV, that s what they do in all other sports, I have no idea why they don;t in football, it would be a big step in the right direction, they also need to adjust some rules to make football fit in with VAR, for example offside needs to have a tolerance built into it favouring the attacking team so that level, as Mane was, is not offside, it has to be offside to the naked eye, not by a few mm on a dodgy drawn line.

Can't ever see the day Ref's Mike's open for all to hear all the swearing that goes on onfield, atm, without fans, the comms are forever offering apologies for any bad language heard, can you imagine what it would be like....can't see the tv broadcasting allowing.....F**k off Ref,  Ref you tw*t, piss off ya pr**k, don't be a c**t Ref to filter into living rooms up and down the land can you ?

Be funny though 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

YNWA
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #46: Nov 03, 2020 04:39:30 pm
      I don't celebrate anymore. I watch the replay looking out for any violation. Even if it's a clean goal, I'd make up possible violations where they might rule just to suit their agenda. Our last Jota goal, I'd make up any reason to justify why Mane was offside. Just to keep me emotions in check. And grounded.

Don't you feel sad for the game and for the fans?
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #47: Nov 03, 2020 04:42:18 pm
      I don't celebrate anymore. I watch the replay looking out for any violation. Even if it's a clean goal, I'd make up possible violations where they might rule just to suit their agenda. Our last Jota goal, I'd make up any reason to justify why Mane was offside. Just to keep me emotions in check. And grounded.

Don't you feel sad for the game and for the fans?

Yeah you called it right in the match thread.  You said we need 2 goals as one of them was going to be ruled out by VAR! It is a joke!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #48: Nov 08, 2020 04:49:26 pm

That’s what we just did  for the pen decision and the goal 🤣🤣 it’s a bit daft nowadays
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #49: Nov 08, 2020 05:38:43 pm
      That’s a deliberate smack in gif face ghat
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #50: Nov 08, 2020 05:40:10 pm
      F**k we getting closer
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Reply #51: Nov 08, 2020 08:58:58 pm
      Only a fist pump when Mo scored, wasn't sure if they were gonna make him retake it because Ederson went over the line!  ;D

Not saying that Ederson even did but don't trust VAR at all! They pull decisions out of their arses week in week out!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #52: Nov 08, 2020 09:42:38 pm

My view is that if they cant confirm an offside or not before everyones back at the centre circle, then its obviously not offside! Simple solution I think.

Good one John! hope you're well chap?
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #53: Nov 09, 2020 08:59:07 pm
      Quote from AussieRed
      Only a fist pump when Mo scored, wasn't sure if they were gonna make him retake it because Ederson went over the line!  ;D

Not saying that Ederson even did but don't trust VAR at all! They pull decisions out of their arses week in week out!

Once it was scored, the keeper's actions are irrelevant. It could only be retaken if one of our players encroached. Every player was reminded of what not to do, before it was taken.

That being the case, I'll put the restrained celebration down to a goal scored at 3.45am on a Monday morning!!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      Reply #54: Dec 17, 2020 02:19:18 pm
      Did last night thats for sure
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,409 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #55: Dec 17, 2020 02:37:47 pm
      Was expecting var to disallow Bobby's goal
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      Reply #56: Dec 17, 2020 02:42:28 pm

Always expect it, but I lost myself in the moment fir the first time in a while when we got the winner. Thought it was Rhys who got it as well!
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #57: Dec 17, 2020 02:50:22 pm
      Yep didn’t celebrate when it went in, waiting for the dreaded check.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #58: Dec 17, 2020 03:11:39 pm
      For me it depends on if the goal looks a bit iffy, for example the one Jota scored off Mane, where Mane fell down, bundled the ball towards him, looked iffy so I kind of suspected it might be overturned, whereas both Salah and Bobby's goals yesterday I was fairly confident would be good, in fact what the hell were they checking Bobby's goal for?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #59: Dec 17, 2020 04:10:01 pm

I was too but couldn't think of a reason why.  :lmao:
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #60: Dec 17, 2020 04:47:12 pm
      Foolishly I do.

Went absolutely mental last night over that Firmino goal, but boy did that feel like a big goal!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #61: Dec 17, 2020 04:55:46 pm

Me too.

A few wows as well with some of our play
      RomaN
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts | 38 
      Reply #62: Dec 17, 2020 08:01:06 pm
      Anyone else think the referees should be mic'd up?

I am all for technology for in sport but currently VAR seems to be ruining the enjoyment. Perhaps if they provided fans with audio between the ref and VAR it would add a layer of transparency. All this staring at lines on the screen for what feels like an eternity sometimes just feels wrong.
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,534 posts | 242 
      Reply #63: Dec 17, 2020 08:09:08 pm
      Anyone else think the referees should be mic'd up?

I am all for technology for in sport but currently VAR seems to be ruining the enjoyment. Perhaps if they provided fans with audio between the ref and VAR it would add a layer of transparency. All this staring at lines on the screen for what feels like an eternity sometimes just feels wrong.

Yes defo, been mentioned many times as well as after match interviews
      Jimsouse67

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #64: Dec 17, 2020 08:40:36 pm
      Was expecting a knock off the neighbours either side of me after I lost me sh*t when bobby scored ....thankfully they must have had an early night 👍.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #65: Dec 18, 2020 12:41:02 am
      It has changed in recent years. I watched the Gary Mac Liverpool Everton game highlights the other day and I still cheer when babbel and Gary score.

Nowadays I’m hesitant waiting for something to disallow it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #66: Dec 18, 2020 12:42:55 am
      That Firmino goal I didn't even realise they had a VAR check so yes, I very much celebrate last minute winners as usual!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Reply #67: Dec 18, 2020 03:39:49 am
      That Firmino goal I didn't even realise they had a VAR check so yes, I very much celebrate last minute winners as usual!

I went off my nut, thought no way VAR, try taking that off us you cu*ts... but was so convinced Rhys scored it, only realized it was Bobby when he started running towards The Kop.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #68: Dec 18, 2020 08:51:27 am
      Yes defo, been mentioned many times as well as after match interviews

It’s ok to make a controversial call. At least we can see their viewpoint and their line of thought. Never mind if there’s a group who disagree. At least they are transparent about it. Well unless they want to hide their incompetence.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #69: Dec 18, 2020 09:06:01 am
      I’ve got more vocal... I shout loudly encouraging any of our players bearing down on goal to shoot or score...
      It’s like being at the races cheering on your favourite horse...

As for VAR.... F**k it.. won’t stop screaming or shouting from the top of my lungs..

skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,148 posts | 258 
      Reply #70: Dec 18, 2020 05:14:50 pm
      I hate VAR !
      Especially against us. I means incidents happen around our penalty box. I always fear of the worst toward us.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #71: Dec 18, 2020 07:52:33 pm
      I went mental with the Firmino winner on Wednesday because it was a corner so surely no VAR check, then I see a long F***ing VAR check!! Brought me right back down. cu*ts
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #72: Dec 18, 2020 08:28:08 pm
      Every one. Roar shout and holler. Then worry about var after.
      Bobs goal gave me a sore throat 😊
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #73: Dec 19, 2020 01:43:55 am
      Quote from ConzS
      Yep didn’t celebrate when it went in, waiting for the dreaded check.

I didn't see any issue with the goal at the time, so celebrated as normal, but the replays behind the goals show an off the ball incident involving Dier and Hendo just before the corner was taken. Either it wasn't spotted between then and the kick off, or it was spotted and the VAR decided to let it go because it happened before the corner was taken.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #74: Dec 19, 2020 06:12:32 am
      Was expecting a knock off the neighbours either side of me after I lost me sh*t when bobby scored ....thankfully they must have had an early night 👍.

That missile header from Bobby was amazing.

I lost it too when it went in.  Brilliant.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Reply #75: Dec 19, 2020 11:31:23 pm
      Celebrated all of them last night ...F**k you VAR cu*ts, try taking any of them of us!!!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #76: Dec 21, 2020 08:33:54 am
      Nope. By the time goal given it's more relief than joy.

Shame.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #77: Dec 21, 2020 09:20:28 am
      Nope. By the time goal given it's more relief than joy.

Shame.

Nope, that’s what you call the beautiful game.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #78: Dec 21, 2020 12:15:57 pm
      Only certain goals, example last Salah's goal from outside the box. If it is a through pass, then no! :(
      liverpoolcore
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 104 posts | 10 
      Reply #79: Dec 21, 2020 01:41:20 pm
      Only certain goals, example last Salah's goal from outside the box. If it is a through pass, then no! :(
      Hendo's too I guess, he scores less so that is always appreciated
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,266 posts | 281 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #80: Dec 24, 2020 07:40:40 pm
      Every single one!

Quick Reply