Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Goals - Do you celebrate anymore?

Read 7013 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Goals - Do you celebrate anymore?
      Nov 01, 2020 08:39:15 pm
      Has var killed your enjoyment of a goal? Do you celebrate anymore? Or do you find yourself just staring at rhe screen waiting on the var call?

Last night for example late goal to win it but instead if jumping up celebrating im telling my son hang on wait for var, waiting on an offdide or some other reason not to be a goal.

Is it killing the buzz for everyone?
      « Last Edit: Nov 03, 2020 01:44:38 pm by JD »
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Re: Goals- Do you celebrate anymore?
      Reply #1: Nov 01, 2020 08:40:42 pm
      Yup it's absolutely sh*te.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #2: Nov 01, 2020 08:45:41 pm
      Nope, well not celebrate to the level I usually would, you might get a ‘Get in!’ out of me once the goal has been given but nothing more than that.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #3: Nov 01, 2020 08:55:47 pm
      On pause for the VAR man ,its hellish totally kills football for me
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4: Nov 01, 2020 09:08:44 pm
      Has var killed your enjoyment of a goal? Do you celebrate anymore? Or do you find yourself just staring at rhe screen waiting on the var call?

Last night for example late goal to win it but instead if jumping up celebrating im telling my son hang on wait for var, waiting on an offdide or some other reason not to be a goal.

Is it killing the buzz for everyone?

Killing it for me that's for sure.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5: Nov 01, 2020 09:22:42 pm
      Not totally for me as when we score I do kind of forget about a VAR check for a few seconds.

KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #6: Nov 01, 2020 09:24:05 pm
      I feel every time i celebrate a goal at the moment it gets ruled out by VAR... So now i have a muted celebration after VAR has looked at it..VAR is slowly sucking the life out of the game
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #7: Nov 01, 2020 10:15:58 pm
      I still scream & shout once we score but if VAR rules it out I curse the F**k out the ref & officials...
      Kopite78
      Reply #8: Nov 01, 2020 10:21:09 pm
      Honestly?
      No, VAR has taken that spontaneity out of it
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #9: Nov 01, 2020 10:39:31 pm
      I still scream & shout once we score but if VAR rules it out I curse the f**k out the ref & officials...

Yep same!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #10: Nov 01, 2020 10:44:48 pm
      Quote from Brian78

I celebrate goals if I don't think there's an issue.
      I stifle celebrations if I think there may be an issue with it.
      I delay all celebrations if I believe it will be disallowed, until after the check is passed.

20 of our goals have counted in our 9 VAR games this season. 3 have not counted. So the vast majority of times we put the ball in the net, the goal stands. It's not killing the game at all, football is still as popular as ever. We all decide to watch our games knowing that VAR may have to step in at some point and make a decision. But as we've already seen this season, wrong decisions come with consequences. Correct decisions mean fairer results. If it takes a bit longer to get them, I can live with that.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #11: Nov 01, 2020 10:45:48 pm
      Yes
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Nov 01, 2020 10:59:43 pm
      I did when Jota scored the second winner!!!

My exact words I screamed out were: "Try taking that off us you cu*ts!"
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #13: Nov 01, 2020 11:22:51 pm
      I mean there is usually a difference between the goals that are pretty obviously going to stand and then those that could be ruled out. It’s not that much difference to looking for the offsides flag before VAR. I would usually celebrate only to then see the flag go up. Now I’m usually pretty confident a goal is going to stand before I completely lose my sh*t.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #14: Nov 01, 2020 11:23:54 pm
      I don't celebrate even when a goal's given, just a fist pump and a yes will do.  The moment has passed.
      Sad but true.  VAR is killing football and making it a laughing stock.

I just watched Harry Kane deliberately back into a jumping Adam Lallana to tip him in mid air in such a way that he could have broken his neck.  Lallana is unable to avoid landing on his upper back with his arm across Kane.  Kane gets a penalty.  In rugby its called a spear tackle and considered one of the most dangerous things you can do.  VAR has a look and agree that Kane was the one being fouled.

Utter and complete madness. 

Maybe I'm off topic but its not just VAR that's wrong, its the game's moral sense of right and wrong.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #15: Nov 02, 2020 12:15:07 am
      i am a hollow shell. fixed football games have sapped me of humanity. the 3-2 victory against everton chalked off and declared 2-2 was the moment that broke the space-time continue. nothing will ever be the same.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #16: Nov 02, 2020 12:43:50 am
      Iv always celebrated goals like Rafa did. Keep my poker face. Might glance at my watch.
      But inside I’m dancing.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #17: Nov 02, 2020 03:43:21 am
      I still scream & shout once we score but if VAR rules it out I curse the f**k out the ref & officials...

Yep, me too, then feel angered and completely deflated, VAR is killing the excitement and sheer elation you get, it’s the reason we love the game, now, what are we going to do about it, F**k All, that’s what, everyone who Loves the game are saying the same thing, from us fans, the players, managers, pundits even the owners, well some of them,

Has it reached the point where fans just say F**k it, I’m not going anymore, if it hasn’t yet, it should,
       because I don’t think it will change until something like that happens, what are we talking about here ?

We’re talking about ppl who have never played the game, that don’t understand the intricacies of the game, don’t have the same emotional attachment that we fans have, making decisions that are killing the enjoyment, the elation, the excitement and the sheer joy of scoring a goal, the very point of playing the game, just so they can be seen as following the rules, this cannot be allowed to continue,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with VAR in itself, it’s a fantastic tool, the problem is that it’s been used for the wrong reasons by ppl who do not understand football and all that comes with it, and until they rectify that, we the fans, the players et al will hate it and want it fu**ed Off !!!

Y  N  W  A

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #18: Nov 02, 2020 06:48:12 am
      Not totally for me as when we score I do kind of forget about a VAR check for a few seconds.

That's me. I still emote, but then the rug gets pulled out from under me
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #19: Nov 02, 2020 08:10:48 am
      It's like 2 stages or levels of celebration, one for the goal, then one when confirmed or some swearing if its harshly chalked offside. For example the Mane/Jota goal I felt was a bit iffy in real time so  I didn't celebrate that as much as I did the winner althoguh I was half expecting the cu*ts to find some way of disallowing it!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #20: Nov 02, 2020 09:15:11 am
      Can I ask if any of you guys watch Rugby or Cricket or many other sports with Video refereeing. How is VAR in football any different to those sports. Whenever you have a decision that goes to video referee you have that tension, will it or won't it stand. Once you get used to it, it sort of enhances the celebration in my opinion.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #21: Nov 02, 2020 12:51:59 pm
      I haven’t since the winner in the derby got ruled out.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #22: Nov 02, 2020 02:36:02 pm
      Can I ask if any of you guys watch Rugby or Cricket or many other sports with Video refereeing. How is VAR in football any different to those sports. Whenever you have a decision that goes to video referee you have that tension, will it or won't it stand. Once you get used to it, it sort of enhances the celebration in my opinion.

I watch quite a bit of Rugby both Union & League and in both codes they have VAR absolutely spot on, every week in every game incidents happen that require assistance from the TMO, Third Match Official, the referee is in constant communication and together they come to a decision looking at the footage of said incident on a big screen , the fans know immediately what’s happening and 99% of the time they get it right, of course not everyone will agree but the vast majority do and accept that decision ,

While this is happening the clock is stopped and that insures the full 80 minutes is actual playing time, I wouldn’t particularly want that in football but the big screen and the communication between the ref & var would IMO eliminate all the uncertainty and the ‘what the F**k is happening’ fans experience during the game,
      In Cricket it’s similar, and they have ex players as umpires/ TMO’s so know the game inside out, and again incidents are scrutinised using Slo- Mo cameras, another advantage that can be utilised in football, a prime example was Mane’s attempt to win the ball against Fabianski, in Slo-Mo it shows Mane’s leg go under the keeper therefore  so no foul and that goal would have stood,

I can’t for the life of me understand why the Technology is being used in such a way that it’s actually making matters worse, but the same Technology used in other sports has actually advanced their game and made it so much fairer.

Y  N  W  A

Quick Reply