Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Goals - Do you celebrate anymore?

Read 7024 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Goals- Do you celebrate anymore?
      Reply #23: Nov 02, 2020 02:41:20 pm

I watch quite a bit of Rugby both Union & League and in both codes they have VAR absolutely spot on, every week in every game incidents happen that require assistance from the TMO, Third Match Official, the referee is in constant communication and together they come to a decision looking at the footage of said incident on a big screen , the fans know immediately what’s happening and 99% of the time they get it right, of course not everyone will agree but the vast majority do and accept that decision ,

While this is happening the clock is stopped and that insures the full 80 minutes is actual playing time, I wouldn’t particularly want that in football but the big screen and the communication between the ref & var would IMO eliminate all the uncertainty and the ‘what the f**k is happening’ fans experience during the game,
      In Cricket it’s similar, and they have ex players as umpires/ TMO’s so know the game inside out, and again incidents are scrutinised using Slo- Mo cameras, another advantage that can be utilised in football, a prime example was Mane’s attempt to win the ball against Fabianski, in Slo-Mo it shows Mane’s leg go under the keeper therefore  so no foul and that goal would have stood,

I can’t for the life of me understand why the Technology is being used in such a way that it’s actually making matters worse, but the same Technology used in other sports has actually advanced their game and made it so much fairer.

Y  N  W  A

I agree the technology is used much better in other sports, but you still have the same situation where for example in cricket you have an LBW which then gets reviewed, at what time do you celebrate? In Rugby a try is scored right up against the side line, it gets checked to see if the player had his foot on the line, again at what time do you celebrate? I see football goals in exactly the same way as the above examples, I celebrate at the goal/try/wicket, then again when its confirmed.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,822 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #24: Nov 02, 2020 03:25:20 pm
      I agree the technology is used much better in other sports, but you still have the same situation where for example in cricket you have an LBW which then gets reviewed, at what time do you celebrate? In Rugby a try is scored right up against the side line, it gets checked to see if the player had his foot on the line, again at what time do you celebrate? I see football goals in exactly the same way as the above examples, I celebrate at the goal/try/wicket, then again when its confirmed.

In those examples you mentioned the fans know that it’s possible a player’s foot may have touched the line so if it goes to the TMO it’s immediate that there is doubt surrounding the score, they still celebrate the try being scored but it’s acceptable that it could be cancelled, the point being they are aware of what is occurring because all the information is at hand immediately using the on screen footage and the comms between the ref & the TMO, the disappointment is therefore less and the decision is acceptable because the fans are involved during the enquiry and can see the reasons why on the big screen.

Y  N  W  A
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #25: Nov 02, 2020 04:00:37 pm

In those examples you mentioned the fans know that it’s possible a player’s foot may have touched the line so if it goes to the TMO it’s immediate that there is doubt surrounding the score, they still celebrate the try being scored but it’s acceptable that it could be cancelled, the point being they are aware of what is occurring because all the information is at hand immediately using the on screen footage and the comms between the ref & the TMO, the disappointment is therefore less and the decision is acceptable because the fans are involved during the enquiry and can see the reasons why on the big screen.

Y  N  W  A

Again you are referring to the process and usage being better in other sports, I 100% agree, but what's being discussed here is when you celebrate. In all 3 sports you have to wait for the Video referee, for example when Jota first scored yesterday I had a feeling it might get chalked off, even in real time, whilst for his second I was pretty damned sure it was good. It really didn't affect my enjoyment of the goal in any way, its like an initial Yes, fist pump then contentment when its confirmed.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,822 posts | 4920 
      Reply #26: Nov 02, 2020 04:36:37 pm
      Again you are referring to the process and usage being better in other sports, I 100% agree, but what's being discussed here is when you celebrate. In all 3 sports you have to wait for the Video referee, for example when Jota first scored yesterday I had a feeling it might get chalked off, even in real time, whilst for his second I was pretty damned sure it was good. It really didn't affect my enjoyment of the goal in any way, its like an initial Yes, fist pump then contentment when its confirmed.

Like I said, in rugby fans still celebrate the try, at the time it happens, but if it were referred to the TMO, they are fully aware what is happening because of the proper use of the Technology at hand, if for any reason said try has to be chalked off the fans can see the reason why on the big screen and if necessary the referee can give hand signals to indicate for example a forward pass prior to going over the try line.

Hope that clears things up for you mate, or shall I refer the matter to the VAR 🤪

Y  N  W  A
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8459 
      Reply #27: Nov 02, 2020 07:08:51 pm
      Has var killed your enjoyment of a goal? Do you celebrate anymore? Or do you find yourself just staring at rhe screen waiting on the var call?

Last night for example late goal to win it but instead if jumping up celebrating im telling my son hang on wait for var, waiting on an offdide or some other reason not to be a goal.

Is it killing the buzz for everyone?

Absofuckinglutley
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #28: Nov 02, 2020 08:45:10 pm
      As the OP, hell yeah, but as far as this VAR is concerned, as far as incompitent refs, they have moved it to incompitant 'no marks', who live arond a screen.
      If they cant see what everyone else sees, well done FA and Refs assoc. you've fu**ed this game up.  TOSSERS
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #29: Nov 02, 2020 09:10:35 pm
      I do still celebrate goals! Punched the air when Jota's first goal went in but I pay a lot more attention in the seconds after!

My view is that if they cant confirm an offside or not before everyones back at the centre circle, then its obviously not offside! Simple solution I think.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #30: Nov 03, 2020 08:20:17 am
      Quote from TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      I don't celebrate even when a goal's given, just a fist pump and a yes will do.  The moment has passed.
      Sad but true.  VAR is killing football and making it a laughing stock.

This week is the anniversary of when we won 5-0 at Everton in 82, when we had 2 other goals disallowed. One was by Dalglish when the game was still a contest, where his goal was ruled out for offside, then given, then ruled out again all in about 30 seconds. It's fair to say emotions were running high after it.

There wasn't the resources then to see if the decision was right or not, and nobody cares about it because we took them to the cleaners after half time. But we now have the resources and it would be stupid not to use them. It could have been 7-0 instead of 5-0, and it would never be beaten again.

Quote from billythered

Y  N  W  A

If rugby fans can accept it, why can't football fans? Fair enough, if they speak the same language as the referees, they can understand why a decision was changed, but nobody likes a decision changed against them. I suppose it's to do with the culture, where the ref's word is law in rugby, but his word in football is questioned in our sport, by players, pundits, coaches, fans. People demanding to know where he's from and what his allegiances are. You have the LFCTV commentator shrieking that we're all "sick of it" at the weekend, and even when it goes our way, he starts every subsequent report of the said game with his "a game dominated by VAR" catchphrase, even when it was just one decision over 45/90 minutes.

We score 100+ valid goals per season across the various competitions. They all count, because they should count. 90-95% of all the goals we score during the year stand, so it's ok to celebrate the vast majority of the time. A handful are disallowed, but they're disallowed because they have to be, not to be a killjoy. Once a goal is valid, there's no problem.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31: Nov 03, 2020 09:02:47 am

Like I said, in rugby fans still celebrate the try, at the time it happens, but if it were referred to the TMO, they are fully aware what is happening because of the proper use of the Technology at hand, if for any reason said try has to be chalked off the fans can see the reason why on the big screen and if necessary the referee can give hand signals to indicate for example a forward pass prior to going over the try line.

Hope that clears things up for you mate, or shall I refer the matter to the VAR 🤪

Y  N  W  A

I think we are more or less on the same page mate.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #32: Nov 03, 2020 09:15:01 am
      This week is the anniversary of when we won 5-0 at Everton in 82, when we had 2 other goals disallowed. One was by Dalglish when the game was still a contest, where his goal was ruled out for offside, then given, then ruled out again all in about 30 seconds. It's fair to say emotions were running high after it.

There wasn't the resources then to see if the decision was right or not, and nobody cares about it because we took them to the cleaners after half time. But we now have the resources and it would be stupid not to use them. It could have been 7-0 instead of 5-0, and it would never be beaten again.

If rugby fans can accept it, why can't football fans? Fair enough, if they speak the same language as the referees, they can understand why a decision was changed, but nobody likes a decision changed against them. I suppose it's to do with the culture, where the ref's word is law in rugby, but his word in football is questioned in our sport, by players, pundits, coaches, fans. People demanding to know where he's from and what his allegiances are. You have the LFCTV commentator shrieking that we're all "sick of it" at the weekend, and even when it goes our way, he starts every subsequent report of the said game with his "a game dominated by VAR" catchphrase, even when it was just one decision over 45/90 minutes.

We score 100+ valid goals per season across the various competitions. They all count, because they should count. 90-95% of all the goals we score during the year stand, so it's ok to celebrate the vast majority of the time. A handful are disallowed, but they're disallowed because they have to be, not to be a killjoy. Once a goal is valid, there's no problem.

All they need to do in football is open up the referee's mike to the stadium and TV, that s what they do in all other sports, I have no idea why they don;t in football, it would be a big step in the right direction, they also need to adjust some rules to make football fit in with VAR, for example offside needs to have a tolerance built into it favouring the attacking team so that level, as Mane was, is not offside, it has to be offside to the naked eye, not by a few mm on a dodgy drawn line.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #33: Nov 03, 2020 09:48:06 am
      Think its more a scenario of that brief second when the bsll hits the net the usual elation but the brain now kicks in automatically to tell you to sit down and wait for var.

Its ruining it either way. Especially when some calls are wrong
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #34: Nov 03, 2020 09:57:14 am
      Think its more a scenario of that brief second when the bsll hits the net the usual elation but the brain now kicks in automatically to tell you to sit down and wait for var.

Its ruining it either way. Especially when some calls are wrong

OK but is it the same in Cricket and Rugby etc, forget how VAR is implemented, do you also feel video refereeing is spoling your celebration in those sports as well, if not why? Perhaps remember before those sports had VAR, did you enjoy a try or wicket more or less?
      You see I think its just an adjustment, for example everyone is now used to VAR in Rugby and Cricket and the same will happen in football, just give it a few more years, but absolutely it needs to be applied better, that is not in question.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #35: Nov 03, 2020 10:21:17 am
      OK but is it the same in Cricket and Rugby etc, forget how VAR is implemented, do you also feel video refereeing is spoling your celebration in those sports as well, if not why? Perhaps remember before those sports had VAR, did you enjoy a try or wicket more or less?
      You see I think its just an adjustment, for example everyone is now used to VAR in Rugby and Cricket and the same will happen in football, just give it a few more years, but absolutely it needs to be applied better, that is not in question.

Not being smart here, but I dont really care about the calls in rugby and defo not arsed with cricket. Im talking about watching my team, or football in general, and the enjoyment of a goal being effectively taken out of the game...Waiting 2 minutes for var to decide to tell the ref to check himself and for him to decide a pubic hair was offside or on so the goal stands or doesnt deteacts from the impact of the goal if given....its a mockery at this point..

But to be fair to you, rugby has ut down to a tee becayse the ref and tmo are miced up so I know what and why they are checking
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36: Nov 03, 2020 11:10:17 am
      Not being smart here, but I dont really care about the calls in rugby and defo not arsed with cricket. Im talking about watching my team, or football in general, and the enjoyment of a goal being effectively taken out of the game...Waiting 2 minutes for var to decide to tell the ref to check himself and for him to decide a pubic hair was offside or on so the goal stands or doesnt deteacts from the impact of the goal if given....its a mockery at this point..

But to be fair to you, rugby has ut down to a tee becayse the ref and tmo are miced up so I know what and why they are checking

OK but for Rugby in the example I gave previously of a try scored right up against the sideline, does it affect your enjoyment that the try is checked via TMO? I think that is a direct parallel with a goal being checked in VAR
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #37: Nov 03, 2020 11:24:25 am
      OK but for Rugby in the example I gave previously of a try scored right up against the sideline, does it affect your enjoyment that the try is checked via TMO? I think that is a direct parallel with a goal being checked in VAR

no because im not an avid rugby supporter, i enjoy watching it but not with true passion.

Also in Rugby you find the commentary team, here in Ireland anyway, are excellent and nearly always call the reason as the play is unfolding as to why a try might not be awarded so you nearly expect the tmo call.

So fir me personally its not the same ball park as seeing Henderson score against Everton the commentary to carry on as if its a goal only for 30 seconds later to see var on the screen drawing lines that make no sense. Oh ill start a line.....here....oh hes past that line with his thumbnail...offside....i ts bollox.....in rugby most calls are clear and rarely arguable football cant say that
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #38: Nov 03, 2020 11:59:53 am
      I'm sure you would have wanted VAR in operation that night in Paris.

Quote from Brian78

Waiting 2 minutes for var to decide to tell the ref to check himself and for him to decide a pubic hair was offside or on so the goal stands or doesnt deteacts from the impact of the goal if given....its a mockery at this point.

If you can't see the game live, then waiting 2 minutes for a decision is a breeze. You might be waiting 10 minutes later online, or even a few hours later if you've missed the game altogether.

If I'm watching live, I won't sit down for a goal. If I think there may be something up with it, I will get up, celebrate, say "that needs to be checked", then wait for the replay. Once it gets the all clear, I will continue celebrating. But if I can't see the game live, then I can't celebrate when we score, VAR or not. I'm just happy we have. I was working during all the big European nights in 04/05. When you're working, you can't celebrate. You simply find out what's happened, and continue working.

Regardless of the celebrations, the most important thing is we've scored, which will hopefully get us the 3 points on the day, and ultimately the league title.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #39: Nov 03, 2020 12:10:47 pm
      I'm sure you would have wanted VAR in operation that night in Paris.

If you can't see the game live, then waiting 2 minutes for a decision is a breeze. You might be waiting 10 minutes later online, or even a few hours later if you've missed the game altogether.

If I'm watching live, I won't sit down for a goal. If I think there may be something up with it, I will get up, celebrate, say "that needs to be checked", then wait for the replay. Once it gets the all clear, I will continue celebrating. But if I can't see the game live, then I can't celebrate when we score, VAR or not. I'm just happy we have. I was working during all the big European nights in 04/05. When you're working, you can't celebrate. You simply find out what's happened, and continue working.

Regardless of the celebrations, the most important thing is we've scored, which will hopefully get us the 3 points on the day, and ultimately the league title.

Funny thing is that game highlights how well it works in rugby. Ireland in for a try French player taps ball over line purposely. Commentator says well get a penalty try, his co commentator says we might not as France had a covering player. Goes to Tmo, yellow card for the player for knocking the ball out, no try as no certainty Irish player grounds the ball as covering French player might get across...No disputes grest call done in a minute to 90 seconds

Var on the other hand is so open that we play on lusten to commentators describe the goal only for var to pop up show us lines for 3 mins that more often then not are started in questionable areas, then after 3 mins they bottle it and tell the ref to check himself. Now we are seeing refs overturn their own calls.

A refs call should be final unlesd he calls for var if hes in doubt. Every jsysus call going to var, even the clearest of goals its a load of me arse
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #40: Nov 03, 2020 12:23:48 pm
      Them brazilian commentators used to celebrate goals passionately.  Goaal  goal goal...... goal Gooaal. 
      What is it now Goal goal VAR VAAR....... VAAR!
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #41: Nov 03, 2020 12:46:37 pm
      My celebrations now consist of a small fist pump to myself 3 minutes or so after the goal has been scored..... if it is actually given.

It is killing the game.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #42: Nov 03, 2020 01:19:40 pm
      Quote from Brian78
      Funny thing is that game highlights how well it works in rugby. Ireland in for a try French player taps ball over line purposely. Commentator says well get a penalty try, his co commentator says we might not as France had a covering player. Goes to Tmo, yellow card for the player for knocking the ball out, no try as no certainty Irish player grounds the ball as covering French player might get across...No disputes grest call done in a minute to 90 seconds

Var on the other hand is so open that we play on lusten to commentators describe the goal only for var to pop up show us lines for 3 mins that more often then not are started in questionable areas, then after 3 mins they bottle it and tell the ref to check himself. Now we are seeing refs overturn their own calls.

A refs call should be final unlesd he calls for var if hes in doubt. Every jsysus call going to var, even the clearest of goals its a load of me arse

Most VAR checks last 60-90 seconds max. It's the few that take a bit longer that make the headlines.

I think the signal "VAR CHECK COMPLETE" should appear in the stadium after every incident has been routinely checked, rather than have players standing around not knowing what's going on. But I think the ref conversation with VAR only really works on television, not in a stadium. Some countries already broadcast it on air after the call has been made.
      redclocker
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42 posts |
      Re: Goals - Do you celebrate anymore?
      Reply #43: Nov 03, 2020 03:16:39 pm
      Glad its not just me who no longer celebrates, for me its since Henderson's goal was disallowed. Not even that bothered about watching the match live now. I've had a season ticket for years but if can't enjoy it what the point?

Watched two Northern Ireland games live on telly, Linfield, last week and standard wasn't brilliant but it was old fashioned and enjoyable, I've even bought their new away shirt!! May be trips to Belfast when allowed, already been to Windsor twice and seen them three times on the mainland so not completely new.   
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #44: Nov 03, 2020 03:30:13 pm
      I'm also with you on this. I only celebrate if it is really obviously goal like a free-kick or something from outside the box.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,822 posts | 4920 
      Reply #45: Nov 03, 2020 03:39:54 pm
      All they need to do in football is open up the referee's mike to the stadium and TV, that s what they do in all other sports, I have no idea why they don;t in football, it would be a big step in the right direction, they also need to adjust some rules to make football fit in with VAR, for example offside needs to have a tolerance built into it favouring the attacking team so that level, as Mane was, is not offside, it has to be offside to the naked eye, not by a few mm on a dodgy drawn line.

Can't ever see the day Ref's Mike's open for all to hear all the swearing that goes on onfield, atm, without fans, the comms are forever offering apologies for any bad language heard, can you imagine what it would be like....can't see the tv broadcasting allowing.....F**k off Ref,  Ref you tw*t, piss off ya pr**k, don't be a c**t Ref to filter into living rooms up and down the land can you ?

Be funny though 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

YNWA

Quick Reply