Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Pre-Match: Atalanta v. Liverpool; UEFA Champions League (Tues. 3 Nov. 8:00 pm)

Read 4459 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Pre-Match: Atalanta v. Liverpool; UEFA Champions League (Tues. 3 Nov. 8:00 pm)
      Nov 02, 2020 08:05:40 pm
      The team has traveled to Italy for the third of 6 UEFA Champions League group stage matches, looking to maintain a perfect record in this season's competition following wins at Ajax and at home vs. Midtjylland. The opponents on Tuesday are Atalanta, based in Bergamo (Atalanta Bergamasco Calcio if we're being technical). The Italian side has defeated Midtjylland 4-0 away and drawn Ajax 2-2 at home thus far in Group D action.

Liverpool face questions over the matchday roster. On Monday, four players returned to full team training at Melwood, including Joel Matip, Naby Keita, Kostas Tsimikas and Billy Koumetio. Koumetio, like teammate Nat Phillips, is not registgered for UEFA matches at this time so will not be featuring tomorrow.

Thiago remains out of training and did not travel with the squad, as he continued to recover from Richarlison's horror challenge. James Milner also did not train with the team but was photographed boarding to team plane to Italy.

So what are we thinking ladies and gents?

« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2020 01:47:17 pm by JD »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Pre-Match: Atalanta v. Liverpool; UEFA Champions League (Tues. 3 Nov. 8: 00 pm)
      Reply #1: Nov 02, 2020 08:08:40 pm
      Just to add I have a hunch Neco Williams will start tomorrow with Trent on the subs bench. Wouldn't shock me if Milner or Tsimikas gets the nod at left back as well, with the Man City match looming and tomorrow being our 6th match in 17-18 days. Robbo and Trent have played in all of these.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,266 posts | 1659 
      Re: Pre-Match: Atalanta v. Liverpool; UEFA Champions League (Tues. 3 Nov. 8: 00 pm)
      Reply #2: Nov 02, 2020 08:24:10 pm
      Just to add I have a hunch Neco Williams will start tomorrow with Trent on the subs bench. Wouldn't shock me if Milner or Tsimikas gets the nod at left back as well, with the Man City match looming and tomorrow being our 6th match in 17-18 days. Robbo and Trent have played in all of these.

Agree and that is why Tzimikas was purchased for games like tomorrow . We have 6 points on the board would settle for a point and make the necessary changes to be as fresh as possible for Sunday
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3: Nov 02, 2020 08:28:53 pm
      This is the least perfect game in the run up to City who have a bloody stroll against Olympiakos at home.

This is a tough game and I wonder where it ranks in our priorities at the moment.

In an ideal world both full backs need a rest and Gomez. Not to mention the front 3. We will know from eelection if we are interested in winning this group early or whether eyes are on the huge game V City.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,179 posts | 2790 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Nov 02, 2020 08:47:10 pm
      Cotton wool for a few before city

Alisson

Ttent Williams Gomez Robbo

Milner Jones Gini

Mo    Bobby  Jota

Keep hendo.Mane back. Play Gini on the basis Thiago is fit for city. Shaq likewise, keep in reserve tomorrow fresh for the weekend.

Atalanta are attack mad so will leave gaps. In saying that we can drop points here and not be a disaster. If we draw or lost tomorrow but win the weekend ill be ok with that
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #5: Nov 02, 2020 08:54:19 pm
      Yeh would definitely consider benching at least one of the full backs and Hendo and Mane.  We can digest dropping points in this game.  The schedule is just too tough we have to take advantage of our 6 points start. 
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,401 posts | 3401 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6: Nov 02, 2020 09:52:58 pm
      Don't play until Sunday, good result tomorrow and will set us up to qualify, worry about Sunday afterwards.
      CT_LFC

• 6,804 posts | 1399 
      Reply #7: Nov 02, 2020 10:57:09 pm
      Is Tsimikas available yet? Or does he have Matip-itis
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #8: Nov 03, 2020 12:46:39 am
      Don't play until Sunday, good result tomorrow and will set us up to qualify, worry about Sunday afterwards.

My thoughts exactly.  Win this and we've got 1 foot in the knockout round with 5 days before we play City.  It would be different if it was like the holiday fixture list with 48 hours between some games, but 5 days is plenty of time for the lads to fully recover. 

Personally, I think we need to be deploying the 4-2-3-1 again with Jota and Shaq both starting in the front 4 along with Mo and Mane.  Play Hendo and Gini as the screen in front of the back 4 and tell Robbo and Trent to stay at home a little more. 

Ali
      TAA - Williams - Gomez - Robbo
      Hendo - Gini
      Shaq - Jota - Mane
      Salah
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #9: Nov 03, 2020 01:04:16 am
      Two games stand in the way of another dreaded international break, but on this occasion it’s more than welcome, Atalanta are punching above their weight and have been easy on the eye in recent times and have taken some notable scalps, alas for them serie A is not a patch on the epl and they will not have come across such a side as ours, albeit somewhat depleted,

There are NO easy sides in the CL irrespective of the league they play in, however, they will be fired up for this especially in their own back yard, so for me we need to play as strong a side as we possibly can, including all our biggest guns, so not too many changes  if any for me....some of you guys will play say Neco, Kostas etc but our back line is already stretched as it is so for me we will need a fullest back line as possible, Alisson, Trent, Rhys, Gomez, Robbo, are my back five,

Henderson, Gini  & Shaq in midfield with Jota, Mane & Mo up top, I can see this being a tight affair but there is something about the CL and this team that resonates perfectly, it’s gutting to be without Virgil & Thiago, those two lift us to another level and if we can stay in this comp for the latter stages , and have them both playing in April/ May I’d make us favourites to win No 7, a win tomorrow night would almost guarantee passage into the knockout rounds,

Let’s just get through the next couple of weeks first though, starting from tomorrow night, if I’m honest I’d take a draw right now, but I’m a greedy kunt and want all three points.....

Alisson
                                                  Trent   Williams   Gomez   Robbo
                                                                  Henderson
                                                     Wijnaldom              Shaqiri
                                                       Jota         Salah       Mane

1 - 2  Mighty Redmen

Y  N  W  A
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #10: Nov 03, 2020 06:29:42 am
      I don't think we will see Tsimikas quite yet as he only trained once after more than a month out. Mario an/or Keita are more possible.

I'm thinking
      ali
      Neco, Gomez, Rhys, Robbo
      Hendo Gini Minamino(surprise)
      Mo, Jota, Sadio

Subs: Adrian, Matip, Trent, Milner, Jones, Shaq, Bobby
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,289 posts | 763 
      Reply #11: Nov 03, 2020 09:26:03 am
      I am not sure of the quality of the opposition tonight. I think Jota should be in the starting line up, giving a chance to rest one of the front three, maybe Bobby. Think a 2  0 win for the Reds, would be perfect, to put us well on the way to the knock out stages, of the competition.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #12: Nov 03, 2020 09:38:03 am
      Atalanta seem quite similar to us in that say score a lot but also concede a good deal, if we turn up and play positive front foot stuff then I think we have more quality than they do and should win. I'd play as strong a team as possible, because if we win tonight then we are more or less qualified and can rest some players going into December which might be crucial.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #13: Nov 03, 2020 10:13:30 am
      Team I’d play if I was Klopp

Alisson

Trent  Williams   Gomez  Tsmikas

Henderson  Gini   Shaqiri

Salah       Mane      Jota

Robertson I imagine will play 180 minutes over the international break so it will be a good opportunity for him to get rest tonight. Shaqiri played that left side of midfield 3 against Midgytlland so I’d slot him in there with others still unavailable. As for Jota there’s no way you can deny him a start tonight the way he’s playing.

Everyone knows Atalanta fly forward with Zapata the main danger but they’re also very good at attacking set pieces so Williams will have to be strong like Phillips was on Saturday.

Think it could be a close one so I went 2-2 in my prediction.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #14: Nov 03, 2020 10:14:15 am
      Im expecting a game with plenty of chance for both teams. We are a better team, but Atalanta will be tough to beat at home. Hopefully we can nick the points, but i fancy a draw to be honest
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,686 posts | 3707 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #15: Nov 03, 2020 10:27:39 am

Alisson

Trent Williams Gomez Robbo

Wijnaldum       Milner
                     Shaqiri
       Minamino Bobby  Jota

I would keep Matip for Sunday, rest Henderson, Salah and Mane for Sunday too.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,179 posts | 2790 
      Reply #16: Nov 03, 2020 10:39:52 am
      One thing I hope to see tonight is more shots. Lets fu**ing work the keeper.

For me recently we have become to predictable. Happy to pass around continiously, almost trying to walk the ball into the goal. Long time since I can recall someone hitting a 25 yarder or an edge of the box shot. Test the keeper give em something to think about. Might get a deflection or keeper might spill it to an oncoming forward
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #17: Nov 03, 2020 10:46:40 am
      One thing I hope to see tonight is more shots. Lets fu**ing work the keeper.

For me recently we have become to predictable. Happy to pass around continiously, almost trying to walk the ball into the goal. Long time since I can recall someone hitting a 25 yarder or an edge of the box shot. Test the keeper give em something to think about. Might get a deflection or keeper might spill it to an oncoming forward
      This really annoyed me in both first half’s against West Ham and Sheffield. It’s like unless the players are certain they will score they don’t bother having a pop.
      « Last Edit: Nov 03, 2020 11:32:31 am by WeAreMenOfShanklysBest »
      Scottbot

• 9,608 posts | 2159 
      Reply #18: Nov 03, 2020 12:45:44 pm
      Agree and that is why Tzimikas was purchased for games like tomorrow . We have 6 points on the board would settle for a point and make the necessary changes to be as fresh as possible for Sunday

I'm surprised he hasn't seen more playing time up till now, doesn make me wonder if he has looked the part in training

EDIT: didn't realise he has been injured!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,617 posts | 6930 
      Reply #19: Nov 03, 2020 01:46:01 pm
      Starting to think that the critics of Thiago's injury record might have been right you know.

Agree with the earlier comments that of the two games this week I'd rather have the three points from the Premier League.  I don't think 18 points are going to be required in this group.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20: Nov 03, 2020 02:19:50 pm
      Starting to think that the critics of Thiago's injury record might have been right you know.

Agree with the earlier comments that of the two games this week I'd rather have the three points from the Premier League.  I don't think 18 points are going to be required in this group.

I was one, but tbf that was a proper knock he took against everton.

Happy enough with a draw tonight, then one more win pretty much see's us through.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,617 posts | 6930 
      Re: Pre-Match: Atalanta v. Liverpool; UEFA Champions League (Tues. 3 Nov. 8:00 pm)
      Reply #21: Nov 03, 2020 02:22:36 pm
      I was one, but tbf that was a proper knock he took against everton.

Maybe I thought he had been back in training longer than he has.

Happy to give him the benefit of the doubt then - didn't think it was a big hit but maybe he still had loads of unpacking to do in his house. 😉
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,317 posts | 1523 
      Re: Pre-Match: Atalanta v. Liverpool; UEFA Champions League (Tues. 3 Nov. 8:00 pm)
      Reply #22: Nov 03, 2020 02:27:55 pm
      My thoughts exactly.  Win this and we've got 1 foot in the knockout round with 5 days before we play City.  It would be different if it was like the holiday fixture list with 48 hours between some games, but 5 days is plenty of time for the lads to fully recover. 

Personally, I think we need to be deploying the 4-2-3-1 again with Jota and Shaq both starting in the front 4 along with Mo and Mane.  Play Hendo and Gini as the screen in front of the back 4 and tell Robbo and Trent to stay at home a little more. 

Ali
      TAA - Williams - Gomez - Robbo
      Hendo - Gini
      Shaq - Jota - Mane
      Salah

We do this and the mid field will be over run again. It clearly doesn’t suit our style of play !
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,520 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #23: Nov 03, 2020 02:36:15 pm
      Go full throttle tonight, no resting players unless its for a knock or some such. If we win, were on 9 points and top of group, can use rotation a lot more in final 3 games, cos job is done. ;-)
      CT_LFC

• 6,804 posts | 1399 
      Reply #24: Nov 03, 2020 02:48:06 pm
      I imagine the back 4 start, or at most Milner in for Robbo.

Midfield i think Hendo and Gini are definitely in and who plays with them depends on health.

Up front i think we see what we have seen the past few games: the front 3 get 30min of rest.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #25: Nov 03, 2020 03:07:42 pm
                                  Alisson
             Trent   Williams   Gomez   Robbo
                      Gini    Hendo   Shaqiri
                    Mane       Salah       Jota

As  Full  a side as possible,  Atalanta away is far from easy, win tonight we're practically thru to the KO stages and we can rest rotate and totally relax, and concentrate on defending our league title,

Be interesting to see how this lot cope with our intensity, I want us in their faces from the start and don't let them breath, I fancy us to grab all 3 points and take a unassailable lead at the top of the group,  but please please play with pace, a high line & a high tempo, do this and they are fu**ed ! !

0-2 Mighty Redmen

YNWA
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #26: Nov 03, 2020 03:58:03 pm
      Ali
      Neco Williams Gomez  Robbo

Jones Milner Gini

Jota Salah Mane

I would really want to bench Robbo but don't think the Greek will be ready for this game maybe off the bench.   We have 6 points and it is another game after 3 days.  We have the opportunity of 5 subs so we can readjust if we get desperate. 
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #27: Nov 03, 2020 04:34:55 pm
      Tough game, this; these are decent free-scoring outfit.

Rotation probably required, but I'd be inclined to go as strong as possible with us not playing till Sunday.

Would take a draw now, ahead of the City game, so I'll go 2-2.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #28: Nov 03, 2020 04:44:58 pm
      We do this and the mid field will be over run again. It clearly doesn’t suit our style of play !

Your very quick to slate the choice of other poster’s X1’s but you do not offer your own selection, so please if you don’t mind enlighten us with your X1 that will suit our style of play ! !

Y  N  W  A
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,179 posts | 2790 
      Reply #29: Nov 03, 2020 04:54:19 pm
      No way there is a nil in this game. Will go 2-2 or 4-3 depending on line ups
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,534 posts | 1663 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30: Nov 03, 2020 05:05:15 pm
                  Alisson
      Neco Matip Gomez Tsimikas
         Gini Hendo Jones
      Shaq Minamino Jota

Be resiliant and maybe grab one upon the break.
      So many games, am sure Jürgen will rotate again similar to Midgetland
      Would ideally rest TAA and Robbo if possible as some have said.
      Hard to rest Hendo given injuries.
      Don't think the regular front 3 did any better than the backups when they came on, so would start with them on bench again.
      COYRs!!!!!!!!!!!
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,476 posts | 1471 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #31: Nov 03, 2020 05:37:15 pm
                         Alisson
      Neco - Williams - Gomez - Tsimikas
                    Hendo  - Gini
          Minamino - Shaqiri - Jota
                          Salah

Not sure if Tsimikas is back yet, if not Robbo.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,332 posts | 2813 
      Reply #32: Nov 03, 2020 05:39:59 pm
      Very, very tough night ahead of us. Point would be fantastic.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,179 posts | 2790 
      Reply #33: Nov 03, 2020 05:54:14 pm
                         Alisson
      Neco - Williams - Gomez - Tsimikas
                    Hendo  - Gini
          Minamino - Shaqiri - Jota
                          Salah

Not sure if Tsimikas is back yet, if not Robbo.

In squad supposedly

Quick Reply