Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Is it Empathy, Sympathy or What ?

Read 7230 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Is it Empathy, Sympathy or What ?
      Nov 03, 2020 01:18:50 pm
      Liverpool FC and relevance.

I don't want this to be contentious or treated as incorrect politically in any way but haven't we gone way overboard with pre game tributes?

Question : What do Brian Jackson  David Astori and  Jose Antonio Reyes all have in common?

They have in the last couple of years all been subject to a minutes silence held by the Liverpool players before a game.

Lets take Jose.

Did he play for Liverpool ? No . He played for Sevilla and The Arse.  He played also for both Madrid teams where last years CL final between the Spuds and ourselves was held.
      Did that have any relevance to either Liverpool or Spurs ?  No.

In 2015 we as with other clubs held a minutes silence for the Paris attacks . The Marseille was played and yet when a gunmen killed 50 people in a racially motivated killing in New Zealand  ... one of our commonwealth countries.... what happened.
      Nothing.
      The Rugby teams respected the event .
      The Premier League didn't.

Last week there was Nobby Stiles.  Did he play for us? No .
      He played for England many, many moons ago that this country  continues to dine out on ....from over 50 years ago.

When our own Roger Hunt passes.... the player who held our goal scoring record for 23 years from 67 to 90 until Rushie broke it ...
      will the Premier League hold a minutes silence across the board? After all he too was part of the England squad.

Last weekend it was a wonder the games actually started. There was Stiles  The Remembrance Tribute and The Knee.

The Knee.
      We all sympathise for what happened this year to George Floyd.

There have though been other cases such as Walter Wallace a person with a mental health issue who posing no threat was fatally gunned down by Philadelphia Police Officers because they didn't have any Tasers to restrain him.

What about Tony Timpa?
      Who?
      Tony was a guy who was restrained by cops for 14 minutes before dying in 2016. That was Dallas. All the cops got away with it.
      On You Tube they can be heard to say sarcastically " I hope we didn't kill him ".
      Did anyone hold any tributes for him every week?  ( Warning:  Disturbing Video posted in George Floyd Aftermath thread. )

U.S. society is dysfunctional . Maybe the election can redeem that country.
      There is Police malpractice right across the world but we have this continuing outpouring of grief over Floyd as if its a process that we really need to do.

The person who organised Clap For Carers knew when it was time to call time on it . The message had been made.

Shouldn't we now reign all this Sympathy and Empathy stuff in to what is really relevant to this club ... ie Hillsborough .
      « Last Edit: Nov 03, 2020 08:21:31 pm by MIRO »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Is it Empathy, Sympathy or What ?
      Reply #1: Nov 03, 2020 01:44:30 pm

I don't want this to be contentious or treated as incorrect politically in any way but haven't we gone way overboard with pre game tributes?

I honestly don't know how long it's been going on for and what constitutes whether someone gets a minutes silence or not. 

I don't remember it being a regular thing 25 years ago but maybe some people know more than me.  I'm assuming in the 1980's a former player who was born in 1900 didn't get honoured pre-match after their death but maybe it's become more of a thing because players who pass away now are more likely to have archive video footage etc of them playing?

That's the only thing I can guess at.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #2: Nov 03, 2020 05:33:58 pm
      US society isn’t dysfunctional. But I suppose when you get your views of the country from television and media it might look that way.

The UK has just as many backwards, corrupt, jackass ignorant people as the US, probably more actually.....maybe you should focus on them and we will deal with our own issues over here without your help Skip.

And as for the club, yes, Hillsborough should be first and foremost when it comes to focusing attention on injustice. Doesn’t mean other things can’t be addressed, but when you do something for every little whip stitch, it tends to lose any value.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #3: Nov 03, 2020 05:59:02 pm
      US society isn’t dysfunctional. But I suppose when you get your views of the country from television and media it might look that way.

The UK has just as many backwards, corrupt, jackass ignorant people as the US, probably more actually.....maybe you should focus on them and we will deal with our own issues over here without your help Skip.

And as for the club, yes, Hillsborough should be first and foremost when it comes to focusing attention on injustice. Doesn’t mean other things can’t be addressed, but when you do something for every little whip stitch, it tends to lose any value.

Perhaps you will begin to deal with your issues today .... U.S. Election Day ..... which really is a referendum for Sanity or Continued Insanity.
      The world is looking and why shouldn't we be. ?

The viewpoint I get is Stateside from NBC CNN The Washington Post and The New York Times.
      Your very own media.
      Looks like youve bought right into the Fake Media Soundbite ?

We don't have to board up our city centres and build additional  higher solid security walls around Downing St or Buckingham Palace.
      « Last Edit: Nov 03, 2020 08:09:11 pm by MIRO »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #4: Nov 03, 2020 06:41:17 pm
      Perhaps you will begin to deal with your issues today .... U.S. Election Day ..... which really is a referendum for Sanity or Continued Insanity.
      The world is looking and why shouldn't we be. ?

The viewpoint I get is Stateside from NBC CNN The Washington Post and The New York Times.
      Your very own media.
      Looks like youve bought right into the Fake Media Soundbite ?

We don't have to board up our city centres and build additional  higher security walls around Downing St or Buckingham Palace.

🤣🤣

Like I thought. You are clueless and basically admitted as such. You keep getting your view of the country from the news (and I don’t really care which ones you watch, they are all corporate stooges). If you really want to know about America maybe ask some real Americans and don’t rely on television and media like I said.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5: Nov 03, 2020 06:49:14 pm
      🤣🤣

Like I thought. You are clueless and basically admitted as such. You keep getting your view of the country from the news (and I don’t really care which ones you watch, they are all corporate stooges). If you really want to know about America maybe ask some real Americans and don’t rely on television and media like I said.

I actually have some family and business associates in the States. I listen to them first.
      Family in Trenton N.J.  /   Maryland   /  Lauderdale FL and Raleigh Carolina.   Cant get more diverse than that.
      One of them is ready to leave if the election goes the wrong way. She is not the only one across the States.
      It is that bad.

Right Off Topic now .....
      « Last Edit: Nov 03, 2020 06:57:38 pm by MIRO »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #6: Nov 03, 2020 07:11:21 pm
      I actually have some family and business associates in the States. I listen to them first.
      Family in Trenton N.J.  /   Maryland   /  Lauderdale FL and Raleigh Carolina.   Cant get more diverse than that.
      One of them is ready to leave if the election goes the wrong way. She is not the only one across the States.
      It is that bad.

Right Off Topic now .....

Well......THAT escalated quickly!  ;D

We are a divided country - and the two sides have absolutely no time or interest in understanding or reasoning with the other. THAT is the beginning of our dysfunction.

But to your original post (PLEASE) I think you make a good point. The adage that "if everything is special, than nothing is" comes to mind.'

Long before we ever had controversy here about kneeling during the national anthem and all that, I always felt we played the national anthem so much (before EVERYTHING sport and a lot of other stuff too) that we made it basically a formality and guaranteed that almost nobody paid real attention to it (even veterans like myself).

Compulsory thought is a real enemy to freedom, and such gestures are maybe best reserved for the things where there is much wider agreement both on the point and the passion behind the issue being recognized.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #7: Nov 04, 2020 10:34:22 am
      I thoroughly agree with Miro. It’s all going a bit to far. This taking the knee has run it’s course now, time to stop.
       As for FL red, I’m no expert, but with respect, USA is so huge, I’m not sure you call really be aware of what is going on in all states. I know what goes on in my kneck of the woods, but only get an glimpse of what is really going on with peoples reaction to politic adgendas elsewhere through the media. And the whole of the uk is smaller than some us states.
      So whatever you think you know about national topics, you only know what you get through the media like everyone else, unless of course you have access to all political and social decisions and reactions personally from every state.
      Not saying any of it is good or bad, not taking sides, but let’s stay realistic eh !
      Do any of us really know what goes on behind others closed doors.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #8: Nov 04, 2020 11:37:49 am
      Taking the knee has lost all impact needs to stop. Lije motd feel the need to show it before every game on the highlights, why? Les Ferdinand spoke  brilliantly a few weeks ago on it

Regarding deaths of former players I always just found it as a mark of respect for a fellow plsyer or pro nothing more nothing less
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #9: Nov 04, 2020 01:46:26 pm
      I thoroughly agree with Miro. It’s all going a bit to far. This taking the knee has run it’s course now, time to stop.
       As for FL red, I’m no expert, but with respect, USA is so huge, I’m not sure you call really be aware of what is going on in all states. I know what goes on in my kneck of the woods, but only get an glimpse of what is really going on with peoples reaction to politic adgendas elsewhere through the media. And the whole of the uk is smaller than some us states.
      So whatever you think you know about national topics, you only know what you get through the media like everyone else, unless of course you have access to all political and social decisions and reactions personally from every state.
      Not saying any of it is good or bad, not taking sides, but let’s stay realistic eh !
      Do any of us really know what goes on behind others closed doors.
      My work takes me to about 85% of the states in this country...for the last 11 years....so I've got a pretty good finger on the pulse of this country. I've worked with military, white collar, blue collar, poor, rich, and everyone in between. This country is mostly made up of people that just want to be left alone, provide a good life for their families, to enjoy themselves from time to time and to be as "free" from government overreach as possible. But the manifestation of large populations in the largest urban areas of this country have changed the perception of our country to most outsiders. Look at where most of the so called issues are in this country....they are in the largest cities. Most gun crime is in large cities known for their strict gun laws (Chicago, DC, LA, NYC), most police brutality is in larger urban areas often run by politicians that ascribe to the equality movement du jour. Hell, the worst places in the country for Covid cases are the areas that have been heavy handed in lockdowns and mask orders.

It's not as dangerous as people think in the US and we aren't quite as divided as you may think, although I will concede that most of the division we do have is really bad, and it's mostly down to one thing...social media and group think.

If you have done so, you should watch the Netflix documentary called the Social Dilemna. Frightening how social media has literally taken people that once weren't that far apart even if they had different beliefs and have turned them into completely spectrum opposites that can't even interact with each other civilly anymore.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #10: Nov 04, 2020 02:43:08 pm
      This country is mostly made up of people that just want to be left alone, provide a good life for their families, to enjoy themselves from time to time and to be as "free" from government overreach as possible. But the manifestation of large populations in the largest urban areas of this country have changed the perception of our country to most outsiders. Look at where most of the so called issues are in this country....they are in the largest cities. Most gun crime is in large cities known for their strict gun laws (Chicago, DC, LA, NYC), most police brutality is in larger urban areas often run by politicians that ascribe to the equality movement du jour. Hell, the worst places in the country for Covid cases are the areas that have been heavy handed in lockdowns and mask orders.

My Trumpometer started ticking after the first sentence, and then just went off the scale.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #11: Nov 04, 2020 02:47:34 pm
      My Trumpometer started ticking after the first sentence, and then just went off the scale.

Good for you. I guess it’s easier making assumptions about people than trying to get to know them though right?

glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #12: Nov 04, 2020 03:33:26 pm

Question : What do Brian Jackson  David Astori and  Jose Antonio Reyes all have in common?

They have in the last couple of years all been subject to a minutes silence held by the Liverpool players before a game.

Lets take Jose.

Did he play for Liverpool ? No . He played for Sevilla and The Arse.  He played also for both Madrid teams where last years CL final between the Spuds and ourselves was held.

In 2015 we as with other clubs held a minutes silence for the Paris attacks . The Marseille was played and yet when a gunmen killed 50 people in a racially motivated killing in New Zealand  ... one of our commonwealth countries.... what happened.
      Nothing.

He played for England many, many moons ago that this country  continues to dine out on ....from over 50 years ago.

When our own Roger Hunt passes.... the player who held our goal scoring record for 23 years from 67 to 90 until Rushie broke it ...
      will the Premier League hold a minutes silence across the board? After all he too was part of the England squad.

Last weekend it was a wonder the games actually started. There was Stiles  The Remembrance Tribute and The Knee.

The Knee.

There have though been other cases such as Walter Wallace a person with a mental health issue who posing no threat was fatally gunned down by Philadelphia Police Officers because they didn't have any Tasers to restrain him.

What about Tony Timpa?
      Who?
      Tony was a guy who was restrained by cops for 14 minutes before dying in 2016. That was Dallas. All the cops got away with it.
      On You Tube they can be heard to say sarcastically " I hope we didn't kill him ".
      Did anyone hold any tributes for him every week?  ( Warning:  Disturbing Video posted in George Floyd Aftermath thread. )

There is Police malpractice right across the world but we have this continuing outpouring of grief over Floyd as if its a process that we really need to do.

The person who organised Clap For Carers knew when it was time to call time on it . The message had been made.

Shouldn't we now reign all this Sympathy and Empathy stuff in to what is really relevant to this club ... ie Hillsborough .

Walter Wallace, posing no threat?? Are you F***ing kidding me??
      A knife is a deadly weapon, police called to his house two times prior to the shooting. He was chasing 2 police offices with a knife. Totally justified shooting, you may live in the UK, but under the Supreme Court law, here in the US, Graham v Occonnor, a police officer , a able to use deadly force when the threat posed is immediate.

And yes, I am a police officer here in NJ, for 20 years now.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #13: Nov 04, 2020 04:40:23 pm
      Walter Wallace, posing no threat?? Are you f**king kidding me??
      A knife is a deadly weapon, police called to his house two times prior to the shooting. He was chasing 2 police offices with a knife. Totally justified shooting, you may live in the UK, but under the Supreme Court law, here in the US, Graham v Occonnor, a police officer , a able to use deadly force when the threat posed is immediate.

Why do you shoot to kill..? Why not shoot in the leg to immobilise ..?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #14: Nov 04, 2020 05:40:35 pm
      Walter Wallace, posing no threat?? Are you f**king kidding me??

Where was a Taser ?

Pepper spray ?

Baton ?

We are way off the topic of this thread .
      « Last Edit: Nov 04, 2020 08:47:11 pm by MIRO »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #15: Nov 04, 2020 05:49:36 pm

So what threat did George Floyd pose while a cop was kneeling on his neck for almost 10 minutes?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #16: Nov 04, 2020 05:54:34 pm

Why do all police F***ing lie when they F**k up, every single F***ing time cover their own arses and their colleagues and will openly lie in court? And yeah Hillsborough does factor in when talking about the lying F***ing cu*ts.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #17: Nov 04, 2020 05:57:25 pm

Lets take Jose.

Nothing.

The Knee.

What about Tony Timpa?
      Who?

To be fair Reyes had F**k all to with us and was a decision taken by UEFA to have the minutes silence before start of final in Madrid.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #18: Nov 04, 2020 07:52:50 pm
      Good for you. I guess it’s easier making assumptions about people than trying to get to know them though right?

Don't know about you, but I find a good way of getting to know somebody on an internet forum is by reading their posts  ;D

(And if you think that post of yours wasn't screaming "I JUST VOTED TRUMP!", never take up poker.)

Anyway, back on topic, I'm inclined to agree with Les Ferdinand on the taking the knee now. It's a gesture that's lost its impact, but everybody is kind of afraid to stop making.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #19: Nov 05, 2020 01:29:11 am
      Why do you shoot to kill..? Why not shoot in the leg to immobilise ..?

Shoot to stop the threat, yeah so shoot him in the leg, either it misses the leg and hits an innocent bystander or it hits the femoral artery in the leg any he bleeds out in seconds. We are trainedto shoot center mass, which is the upper body.

glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #20: Nov 05, 2020 01:30:31 am
      Where was a Taser ?

Pepper spray ?

Baton ?

We are way off the topic of this thread .

They weren’t equipped with a taser, pepper spray is not stopping a man coming after you in that mental state with a knife, sorry, but I’m going home at the end of my shift.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #21: Nov 05, 2020 10:57:58 pm
      Does anyone seriously think that when confronting a professional criminal on the run with about 15 previous convictions, that the cops are going to ask "D'you know what, if I discharge my firearm on this suspect, soccer players and personnel in England are all going to go down on one knee before every game for the next 9 months, and the 9 months after that?", or will they ask "I've got to get him before he commits his next offence, by whatever means necessary". Tough one that. Biden has been in American politics for 50 years, a time when there's been lots of protests and property damage, but little action. That will not change in the event he is elected. It's just a question of changing one white OAP for another.

Games are now starting way behind schedule for all the tributes and gestures to be gone through. I've always believed that a sports stadium is for sport only, and if it was a UEFA game, a ko delay means a high fine. The knee has achieved nothing since it started, nor would you expect it to. Now it's lost it's visual impact as well. It's a ko ritual, but in England it still has to be done.

On the night we won the World Cup, another England player in 66 picked his moment to go. So when this wonderful side were collecting the trophy and were on our lap of honour, LFCTV were holding personal tributes in the studio to the said England 66 player, amongst discussing other non club related issues.

Unfortunately there's little we can do about tributes to be held for those with no club connections. Playing La Marseillaise before games won't deter an Islamic militant with a grudge carrying out another indiscriminate outrage, but if the FA say we have to do it, then we have to do it. There is not an opt-out option.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #22: Nov 06, 2020 05:51:32 am
      My work takes me to about 85% of the states in this country...for the last 11 years....so I've got a pretty good finger on the pulse of this country. I've worked with military, white collar, blue collar, poor, rich, and everyone in between. This country is mostly made up of people that just want to be left alone, provide a good life for their families, to enjoy themselves from time to time and to be as "free" from government overreach as possible. But the manifestation of large populations in the largest urban areas of this country have changed the perception of our country to most outsiders. Look at where most of the so called issues are in this country....they are in the largest cities. Most gun crime is in large cities known for their strict gun laws (Chicago, DC, LA, NYC), most police brutality is in larger urban areas often run by politicians that ascribe to the equality movement du jour. Hell, the worst places in the country for Covid cases are the areas that have been heavy handed in lockdowns and mask orders.

It's not as dangerous as people think in the US and we aren't quite as divided as you may think, although I will concede that most of the division we do have is really bad, and it's mostly down to one thing...social media and group think.

If you have done so, you should watch the Netflix documentary called the Social Dilemna. Frightening how social media has literally taken people that once weren't that far apart even if they had different beliefs and have turned them into completely spectrum opposites that can't even interact with each other civilly anymore.

Your country should be renamed as the Dis-united States of America, every state has its own laws or different from others, so how the hell is it United,
      The trouble is like here in the UK, your Government along with the media & social networking, brainwash the generation public into believing their way is the best way, and ppl just follow like Sheep,

You can have a opinion of course but it doesn’t really matter because you live in a dictatorship and what they say goes, of course they want you to believe you have freedom of speech and all of that but you don’t, not really, the police your police are the Gov’s bullies, they make sure you Don’t get to say or do what you want, they are the most corrupt racist fascist bas**rds , some akin to the SS,

I believe  most normal American ppl to be hard working ordinary folk, but unfortunately your Gov like the one here constantly let them down and are truly only interested in what’s in it for them, Capitalism is the other guilty party, where it’s all about greed and more greed and yet more greed, it’s all about the fat cats getting fatter and F**k everyone else, if you haven’t got a dime, they won’t give you the time, simple as that, another Capatilist mantra is Wealth before health, where if you want to live long it’s gonna F***ing cost you 100’s of thousands of dollars, there is no NHS, but you have Medicare etc, a medical insurance that barely stretches to pay for the ambulance and a couple of sticking plasters if you have cancer,

My Sister lives there and she f***in hates it, she married a Yank so is stuck in this land of dis- believe, where most chase a American dream that doesn’t exist, it’s not the American folks fault it’s down to those in Government as with our own Gov, they only want your taxes, and your wee X every 4 or five years,

Please don’t get me started on Trump, he’s part of the reason the states are fu**ed, he’s the biggest racist greediest fat useless b***ard ever to have the presidency, in other words a Total Kunt who somebody should wipe of the face of this Earth, he is everything the normal working American ppl are not, yet in the time of elections it’s still a close run thing, says a lot about the brainwashing that ppl believe in doesn’t it ?

Over here we have a equally greedy fat useless b***ard in Boris, and his peers, the Tories who again don’t give a F**k about its ppl until a election comes around but are quite happy to rape  you of your hard earned money through taxes, income tax, corporate tax, value added tax, national insurance another tax, then everything you buy is taxed at 20%, , no wonder we’re all f***in depressed, but this what they call freedom, it is , so long as you pay for it ....

F**k IT, IM DONE, IM OUTTA HERE, f***in sh*t STATE OF AFFAIRS  ! !

Y  N  W  A

Quick Reply