Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Pre-Match: Man City v Liverpool; English Premier League (Sun. Nov. 8, 4:30 pm)

Read 7524 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Pre-Match: Man City v Liverpool; English Premier League (Sun. Nov. 8, 4:30 pm)
      Nov 05, 2020 02:13:21 am
      Clash of the Titans 2020-2021 version as the mentality monsters of JĆ¼rgen Klopp make the short trip to The Etihad to face Pep Guardiola's former champions.

City are 10th in the table, with 11 points from six matches, but I think most of us would agree this is the team providing the greatest obstacle toward our repeating as Premier League champions. Additionally, there is the matter of City's half-baked "guard of honour" after our title win last season, followed by a 5-0 demolition of our hungover team the last time the two sides met.

We of course are coming off a 5-0 win of our own at Atalanta on Tuesday. City won 3-0 vs. Olympiakos on the same night.

We are still carrying an array of injuries, but not quite as many as we had a few days ago. Thiago is a major question, with Fabinho, Ox and of course Virgil Van Dijk all out long-term. City face questions over the availability of Sergio Aguero, Benjamin Mendy and Fernandinho.

I think 9 of our 11 lineup slots choose themselves. Alisson in goal, Robbo and Trent at fullbacks and Joe Gomez at center back. Henderson and Gini will be in midfield and Mo Salah, Sadio Mane and Diogo JOta start up front. The questions are at the other center back slot, where Klopp will choose between newly fit Joel Matip, last week's surprise standout Nat Phillps and Champions League starlet Rhys Williams. (I'm going with Matip if he's truly fit). The other position is attacking midfield or just midfield depending on how you define our formation and the subsequent roles players are asked to perform.

The choices for this slot are Thiago, James Milner, Naby Keita, Curtis Jones and Roberto Firmino. I think it's really a choice between Thiago and Firmino. Bobby has been out of form in terms of goal-scoring, but clearly is a favorite of JĆ¼rgen's (for very good reasons). He also has played some GREAT matches against City over the past few years. With Thiago having missed a run of matches now since his scything down by Richarlison, I think he will be limited to duty off the bench (if he's even passed fit for that). So:

NB: Team no longer available

Let's knock them down a few pegs.
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2020 11:56:12 am by JD »
      Keny
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 179 posts | 26 
      Re: Pre-Match: Man City v Liverpool; English Premier League (Tues. Nov. 8, 4:30 pm)
      Reply #1: Nov 05, 2020 02:38:48 am
      Tues Sun. Nov. 8, 4:30 pm
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Re: Pre-Match: Man City v Liverpool; English Premier League (Sun. Nov. 8, 4:30 pm)
      Reply #2: Nov 05, 2020 06:58:30 am
      A win would be huge but i'd happily take the draw I have to admit. Both sides showed some form in Europe this week so it should be a good game and i'm expecting to see some goals. Have got a feeling it will finish 2-2. Will be interesting to see if Matip is fit enough to start given the magnitude of the game i expect Klopp would prefer to use him. If not, i think young Phillips has to get the nod after an excellent performance last weekend. The Jota/Firmino decision is clearly a big call. For me though, it needs to be one or the other, i don't think we have looked good with both in the side and a switch to 4-2-3-1. We have struggled in midfield whenever Klopp has gone to this system thus far so i'd like to see a proper midfield three for this one. It's a shame Jesus is back for them.
      rossyred

• 9,280 posts | 1663 
      Re: Pre-Match: Man City v Liverpool; English Premier League (Sun. Nov. 8, 4:30 pm)
      Reply #3: Nov 05, 2020 08:14:45 am
      A win would be huge but i'd happily take the draw I have to admit. Both sides showed some form in Europe this week so it should be a good game and i'm expecting to see some goals. Have got a feeling it will finish 2-2. Will be interesting to see if Matip is fit enough to start given the magnitude of the game i expect Klopp would prefer to use him. If not, i think young Phillips has to get the nod after an excellent performance last weekend. The Jota/Firmino decision is clearly a big call. For me though, it needs to be one or the other, i don't think we have looked good with both in the side and a switch to 4-2-3-1. We have struggled in midfield whenever Klopp has gone to this system thus far so i'd like to see a proper midfield three for this one. It's a shame Jesus is back for them.

Jesus could be the difference an absolute miracle worker
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1475 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #4: Nov 05, 2020 08:16:07 am
      Iā€™ll take a draw now. This is a tough one, I want to go with a midfield three, but I donā€™t think I can pick one I feel comfortable with against City, Milner is too slow I feel and Jones Iā€™d count more as a CAM than a CM... my brain keeps telling me to go 4-2-3-1 with Bobby in the CAM role... but like someone said above, we have struggled with shape when weā€™ve played it...

Alisson
      Trent Gomez Matip Robbo
                   Hendo
               Gini    Jones
          Salah  Jota   Mane

Or

Alisson
      Trent Gomez Matip Robbo
               Hendo Gini
         Salah  Firmino  Mane
                    Jota
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,227 posts | 4920 
      Reply #5: Nov 05, 2020 09:19:33 am
      For me it has to be a midfield three so we try and control that area. I know some of you have posted a two to get Bobby in the side but for me if he has to play you keep one of the front three out.

« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2020 09:36:10 am by srslfc »
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #6: Nov 05, 2020 09:28:14 am
      I think this is a bit of a free hit for me given where we are in the season and the points gap to date. In saying that I would absolutely go for it and deploy an all out attack itā€™s inevitable we concede, just ensure we put more in at the other end.

I would love Gomez to send that lil snake c**t into the stands though with a meaty challenge almost as much as 3 points.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,211 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Nov 05, 2020 10:07:13 am
      They work off width. Full backs hugging the touchline. Squeeze that width forve them inside and you choke them.

Also, and we have been best at this the past 5 years, go at them, show no respect and you get rewarded.

Funny us lot giving tactical advice and formations when we have the best in the business at the helm, but for the craic..Id consider 3-5-2

Trent pushed on slightly and Mane on the leftto kill the width but give us our own wide attacking options and then have the numbers in the middle to roll them over

Alisson
          Gomez  Matip  Robbo
      Trent Hendo Thiago Gini Mane
                       Mo    Jota

No Thiago Id look at Shaq in there or Bobby in thst deeper mid role

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #8: Nov 05, 2020 01:46:03 pm
      3 points here would be massive.

If I'm honest, I'd take a point, but then again I said that about Atalanta so hoping the same applies to this game  ;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #9: Nov 05, 2020 01:56:10 pm
      I'll be honest, doesn't feel as big of a game as it has in the past. They are still dangerous obviously, if we had Virg I'd be feeling extremely confident. If our defense holds up decently I think we'll take care of business. This game just doesn't have the do or die feeling it has in the past.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1475 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #10: Nov 05, 2020 02:27:42 pm
      I just hope Gomez can keep his head when he sees that little T-Rex mincing down the wing... and doesnā€™t make it a personal thing during the 90, focus on the game and then rub the three points in his face.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #11: Nov 05, 2020 02:44:31 pm
      I just hope Gomez can keep his head when he sees that little T-Rex mincing down the wing... and doesnā€™t make it a personal thing during the 90, focus on the game and then rub the three points in his face.

And if the little sh*t asks, ā€œ I suppose you think your the big manā€ again. Just simply say YES with a big smile !

19titles
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #12: Nov 05, 2020 04:43:13 pm
      I'll be honest, doesn't feel as big of a game as it has in the past. They are still dangerous obviously, if we had Virg I'd be feeling extremely confident. If our defense holds up decently I think we'll take care of business. This game just doesn't have the do or die feeling it has in the past.

Agreed. Their big misses are David Silva and Kompany. Now they rely on width and the brilliance of one man, De Bruyne. With Silva they had De Bruyne and used brilliant movement and the passing angles Silva worked. And Kompany was the leader they now lack. Problems at the back remain. If the Reds stay cool and donā€™t make any silly mistakes, they can win this. The rest of the League will be in awe after the events of Tuesday night.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #13: Nov 05, 2020 05:45:51 pm
      Too early in the season to be gung ho at the emptihad, we already hold a 5 point lead over them so the real pressure is on them to close it, we could potentially have opened the gap to eight and that my pedigree chums will be unassailable even this early, so for me Iā€™d be going into this game with as rock solid a midfield as possible, they will obviously target our back four and see it as our weak point,

This is where I think Matip will come back in even if heā€™ll be a bit rusty, his experience is invaluable and no disrespect to Nat or Rhys they just donā€™t have enough game time behind them for this type of opponent,

Up top will be interesting, will JĆ¼rgen play Jota instead of Bobby? I donā€™t think he will, heā€™ll stick with his tried and trusted trio, that is no slight on Diogo, heā€™s been awesome but if we can get our passing game going we can run them ragged then bring Jota on when they are tired, up the tempo and run at them,

So midfield, canā€™t see Thiago making it but if he does heā€™s a shoe in as is Hendo, and probably Gini, if not Iā€™d go with Jones, Iā€™d even consider Milner albeit that would thwart creativity,

Being without Virgil for me addresses the balance between us, Jesus for me has never really been a threat, Iā€™m more concerned about KDB and that horrible little diving kunt Sterling, they are without Kun Aguero which leaves them a bit toothless up top and I think we will be fine defensively,

Which leaves our last player who I believe is the best in the world and that of course is Herr JĆ¼rgen Klopp, he for me is in a different league tactically wise to Pep, Pep more than once has been caught out using tactics inept and believe it or not naive against lower opposition,

Itā€™s why he will never conquer Europe with Shitty, and I honestly believe he will NOT Win another domestic title either, anyhoo, who gives a F**k about that ?

Most Likely........

Allison
                                                         Trent    Matip   Gomez   Robbo
                                                                Jones   Hendo  Gini
                                                                Salah   Bobby  Mane

But Hopefully.......
                                                                             Alisson

Matip     Gomez
                                                           Trent                              Robbo
                                                                              Hendo
                                                                   Thiago              Gini

Salah          Bobby          Mane

Bench; Adrian, Phillips, Milner, Jones, Jota, Naby, Shaqiri

A real tight cagey affair with lots of controversy, refs will brick it as usual, Var will make unsavoury decisions, might even be a red card or / and a pen, I still make us slight favourites even without Virgil, cos JĆ¼rgen is a genius, Pep isnā€™t,

1-2 Champions

Y  N  W  A
      rossyred

• 9,280 posts | 1663 
      Reply #14: Nov 05, 2020 07:57:44 pm
      Would play Keita if Thiago unfit to start
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #15: Nov 05, 2020 08:07:11 pm
                                  Alisson

Matip          Gomez
      Trent                                                     Robbo

Hendo         Gini

Keita

Salah          Jota          Mane

Subs: Kelleher, Phillips, N. Williams, Tsimikas, Thiago, Shaqiri, Firmino
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #16: Nov 05, 2020 08:12:59 pm
      I think itā€™s fair to say Gomez (barring the mistake against the irons) has been excellent.

If heā€™s on form as well as Alisson, we have a chance!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #17: Nov 05, 2020 08:25:26 pm
      I think itā€™s fair to say Gomez (barring the mistake against the irons) has been excellent.

If heā€™s on form as well as Alisson, we have a chance!

I'll take a draw but if we're up for it we definitely have the quality to win this.

Jota could be the key to the win again as City have never faced our front trio with Diogo in the mix.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #18: Nov 05, 2020 08:42:03 pm
      I'll take a draw but if we're up for it we definitely have the quality to win this.

Jota could be the key to the win again as City have never faced our front trio with Diogo in the mix.

I agree, but I think Firmino will start as he seems to play well against city, could be a good chance to prove himself too - if itā€™s not quite working Jota will come in at 60/65.

Absolutely amazing that we have such strong options on the bench now, love this squad
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #19: Nov 05, 2020 09:11:29 pm
      Hardest league game of the season we haven't done well at the emptihad.   We have wrestled through so many obstacles be it injuries or agendas of VAR to the top of the pile.   Long way to go we aren't under pressure they are.  They need a result we aren't desperate for one.  A good result in Europe the 5-0 will make Pep nervous of trying to go gung ho attack on our back line and to be honest isn't something I am comfortable with this moment of time with the constant changes.  I'll take a draw hope we get more and really piss on their chips!

My biggest hope is that Thiago is available in some capacity he will be massive for this game. 

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #20: Nov 05, 2020 09:20:38 pm
      Jota could be the difference maker here and in midfield I'd play Keita if Thiago doesn't make it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #21: Nov 05, 2020 09:48:23 pm
      Would play Keita if Thiago unfit to start

Watching the training video today, starting to get the idea that Keita may be in the starting XI.

To me there is no question about Jota starting this one.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #22: Nov 05, 2020 09:53:38 pm
      https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/414998-inside-training-finishing-practice-and-more-at-thursday-s-session

Team in good spirits during training this morning. 2 highlights from tthis:

1) why is someone putting on a one-man fireworks show outside of training this morning?

2) Jota slams one into the family jewels of Gomez from close range. The reaction from teammates Hendo, Trent, Sadio and Milner is priceless.  ;D

Quick Reply