Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson Becker
      20 (25.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.3%)
      Andy Robertson
      24 (30.8%)
      Joel Matip
      5 (6.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      4 (5.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      9 (11.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      5 (6.4%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      10 (12.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: Nov 12, 2020 06:24:55 pm

Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 16695 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #552: Nov 08, 2020 06:47:56 pm

F**k off you tw*t !
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #553: Nov 08, 2020 06:49:33 pm
      Went Allison for my MOTM, decisive and great distribution made you feel safe . I don't think a front 4 worked , too congested , Thiago coming in will hopefully sort out distribution and attack .We really should have put a couple of our chances away early on .I'll take a draw though !
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #554: Nov 08, 2020 06:51:57 pm
      What?

Bobby did absolutely nothing in an attacking sense all game.

Our energy levels dropped the last 20 mins no Bobby on had nothing to do with it.

Funny thing is, if Bobby had subbed in and the energy levels had dropped off you’d be putting it all on him. Also imagine if it was Bobby who missed that golden opportunity where Diogo sh*t straight at Ederson, you’d go on full troll mode.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #555: Nov 08, 2020 06:53:21 pm
      Robbo MOTM for sure with Alisson behind him. No one else really stuck out and none of the front 4 were really good.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #556: Nov 08, 2020 06:57:24 pm
      Bobby looks just like a guy who covers up an hidden flu or something. But you could still see his value in comparison with Shaq.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #557: Nov 08, 2020 06:57:39 pm
      Was wRching in a delay so only just finished the game. Fook me that second half was horrible! Very good point. We’ve played Chelsea, City and the bitters away and Arsenal home bour first 8 games. All things considered were in a good place.

Fingers crossed Trent is good to go after the break.

I weNot Ali for motm, loved the way he cleaned up crosses and a big save first half. But Robbo was also superb.

The two best sides in the division by far.
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2020 07:04:39 pm by Scottbot »
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #558: Nov 08, 2020 07:00:06 pm

Without a crowd any game is basically on neutral ground. Looking in terms of Home/Away makes no sense without fans involved, it kills most advantage you have at home.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #559: Nov 08, 2020 07:07:04 pm
      Without a crowd any game is basically on neutral ground. Looking in terms of Home/Away makes no sense without fans involved, it kills most advantage you have at home.

Yes of course but perhaps we will have a few reds in the ground for the return. Either way, we’ve had four of our toughest games in the first 8. City play spuds next so every chance we’re back in too or sitting in 2nd. I’m pretty happy with our we’re doing given the huge loss of VVD and the injury to Thiago.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #560: Nov 08, 2020 07:09:44 pm
      Yes of course but perhaps we will have a few reds in the ground for the return. Either way, we’ve had four of our toughest games in the first 8. City play spuds next so every chance we’re back in too or sitting in 2nd. I’m pretty happy with our we’re doing given the huge loss of VVD and the injury to Thiago.
      Spurs have Chelsea too after that so they defo drop points too I think in at least one.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #561: Nov 08, 2020 07:10:19 pm
      Thought we were brilliant in the 1st half and should have been a couple up. Don’t like it when we go more safe minded as always let’s teams like city get back into it. Oh well a point is a good result and another perfect in the prediction league 😉
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #562: Nov 08, 2020 07:11:06 pm
      Good result looked tired latter on
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #563: Nov 08, 2020 07:17:40 pm
      Good result for us but can’t help but feel they were there for the taking. They’re sh*te at the back then and sh*t themselves every time we go forward.

I’ll start with the team. Wasn’t pleased with the line up if I’m honest. Jota scores an unbelievable hat trick in midweek but he gets taken out of the forward position and dropped into midfield. Bobby is in terrible form. I’d have benched Bobby and started Keita in the midfield with Jota upfront.

I thought we would be far too open and unbalanced but the game gets under way and I thought our first half performance was very good. We looked like the team who wanted the three points and I don’t think city even registered a shot until their goal.

That penalty decision nearly ruined the game and the FA, FIFA and whoever else need to get a grip of sh*t like that.

HT 1-1 and I think we all felt A bit disappointed that we weren’t ahead. We were the better team by far.

The commentators don’t half talk some sh*te. They kept saying we were lined up as a 4-2-4 or 4-4-2 when we weren’t. It can look like that depending on where the ball is sometimes, but in general we were playing 433 as always and Jota was on the right of the three covering salah. I just thought he was wasted. A man in form we should have made more use of him and put him in dangerous areas to try and hurt city because again, I thought it was a poor display from bobby.

Second half begins and there’s nothing much more to say apart from both teams were happy to take a point and the game just fizzled out. Quite clearly there was a lot of respect there both ways for how capable the opposition are at counter attacking. Therefore we didn’t go for it and neither did they.

To summarise, a point at there place is better for us than them but I do think we could have come away with all three. I’m convinced we’re better than them.

Cba doing player ratings. Nobody was outstanding but nobody was poor either other than Bobby to be honest. I gave Matip motm. Thought he did extremely well coming back into the side in a tough game. One or two minor mistakes but in general he was solid.

Well played reds.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #564: Nov 08, 2020 07:23:37 pm
      Pawson or however you spell his name, he’s one of the worst refs in the league.

Yep, he's sh*te.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #565: Nov 08, 2020 07:30:33 pm
      What?

Bobby did absolutely nothing in an attacking sense all game.

Our energy levels dropped the last 20 mins no Bobby on had nothing to do with it.
      Disagree everything that came good in the first half he was in the thick of it. Creates space for himself and others with his pressing, Jota suffered the most as we stopped doing that when he came of. Btw not saying he was brilliant just that we dropped of without him.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #566: Nov 08, 2020 07:39:13 pm
      Good result for us but can’t help but feel they were there for the taking. They’re sh*te at the back then and sh*t themselves every time we go forward.

I’ll start with the team. Wasn’t pleased with the line up if I’m honest. Jota scores an unbelievable hat trick in midweek but he gets taken out of the forward position and dropped into midfield. Bobby is in terrible form. I’d have benched Bobby and started Keita in the midfield with Jota upfront.

I thought we would be far too open and unbalanced but the game gets under way and I thought our first half performance was very good. We looked like the team who wanted the three points and I don’t think city even registered a shot until their goal.

That penalty decision nearly ruined the game and the FA, FIFA and whoever else need to get a grip of sh*t like that.

HT 1-1 and I think we all felt A bit disappointed that we weren’t ahead. We were the better team by far.

The commentators don’t half talk some sh*te. They kept saying we were lined up as a 4-2-4 or 4-4-2 when we weren’t. It can look like that depending on where the ball is sometimes, but in general we were playing 433 as always and Jota was on the right of the three covering salah. I just thought he was wasted. A man in form we should have made more use of him and put him in dangerous areas to try and hurt city because again, I thought it was a poor display from bobby.

Second half begins and there’s nothing much more to say apart from both teams were happy to take a point and the game just fizzled out. Quite clearly there was a lot of respect there both ways for how capable the opposition are at counter attacking. Therefore we didn’t go for it and neither did they.

To summarise, a point at there place is better for us than them but I do think we could have come away with all three. I’m convinced we’re better than them.

Cba doing player ratings. Nobody was outstanding but nobody was poor either other than Bobby to be honest. I gave Matip motm. Thought he did extremely well coming back into the side in a tough game. One or two minor mistakes but in general he was solid.

Well played reds.

Good post Hamann's, you've said everything I wanted to say.  I too though Matip was sound enough defensively, but he lost possession a lot with his long punts upfield, which had me raging more than once! 
      Jota was wasted in the four man attack.  I'd have been happier if he'd been on as an earlyish sub to replace Firmino up top IMHO.     
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #567: Nov 08, 2020 07:53:21 pm
      Disagree everything that came good in the first half he was in the thick of it. Creates space for himself and others with his pressing, Jota suffered the most as we stopped doing that when he came of. Btw not saying he was brilliant just that we dropped of without him.

What we missed was a creative outlet in midfield. Thiago would have provided that it fit today. We had started to drop off very early in the second half about 10 mins before Bobby was hooked so that pattern of play had already developed.

Bobby was poor as he has been for months and leaving him on would have made no difference to our attacking threat he doesn't have the legs to go 90 mins anyway.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #568: Nov 08, 2020 07:55:04 pm

Right, because pointing out the obvious (Firmino should be on the bench) is embarrassing..

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #569: Nov 08, 2020 07:57:11 pm
      Funny thing is, if Bobby had subbed in and the energy levels had dropped off you’d be putting it all on him. Also imagine if it was Bobby who missed that golden opportunity where Diogo sh*t straight at Ederson, you’d go on full troll mode.

Absolute nonsense, as if I don't want Bobby to be playing well. Pathetic statement. He isn't playing well for months but don't let the Bobby Firmino fan club hear that.

And at least Jota hit his shot on target and didn't nearly clear the stadium like Bobby's only shot on goal.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #570: Nov 08, 2020 08:04:05 pm

Well played reds.
      Hmm kind of agree. I don’t know where the 4-2-4 came from but we were certainly playing 4-4-2 for the majority of the game, maybe changed up a bit when Shaq came on. Could clearly see that Bobby and Salah were the most advanced and Mane was a bit more penned back than usual. In fact their goal game from Mane pushing forward and dragging Gini out, leaving De Bruyne free.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #571: Nov 08, 2020 08:15:11 pm
      It was a good performance and a good result.  A draw at their places keeps the pressure on them a win would have been better and we had good moments especially in the first half an hour.  But Pep bottled it and started playing very safe we didn't go all attack with our injury problems at the back fabinho out, vvd out and the CB pairing playing their first game together.  A very good professional performance.   
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #572: Nov 08, 2020 08:30:35 pm
      Anyone think conditions had an impact? Slowed down the movement of the ball and speed of pass, in relation to our 2nd half display compared to 1sr?
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #573: Nov 08, 2020 08:33:17 pm
      Gave MMOT to Alisson because I felt it's just one of those games where legs are shaky and everybody is tense but he just calmed everybody and late in the 2nd half made a couple of interventions that seemed easy but we're not and genuinely took the pressure off of everybody.

Hendo, Gini and Robbo all could've got it too as far as I'm concerned.

Matip was class but after a certain point in the game made it a bad habit to release flunky passes that were quickly intercepted or put the receiver in a bad position and translated into City getting the ball back. Maybe it was just City's press that was too good and I'm being to hard on him tho.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #574: Nov 08, 2020 08:42:21 pm
      Thought his distribution was poor second half

Yeah, his kicking went off the rails, maybe due to conditions. He's top class of course, but wouldn't see him as a MOTM candidate today.

Quick Reply