Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson Becker
      20 (25.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.3%)
      Andy Robertson
      24 (30.8%)
      Joel Matip
      5 (6.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      4 (5.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      9 (11.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      5 (6.4%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      10 (12.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: Nov 12, 2020 06:24:55 pm

Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 17070 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #575: Nov 08, 2020 08:57:05 pm
      Right, because pointing out the obvious (Firmino should be on the bench) is embarrassing..

Says the bloke who has absolutely no f***in idea what Bobby brings to this team, he hasn’t been at his best granted but he brings more than you see, get off the blokes back ffs , why is it do you think that when the best manager on the planet keeps picking him, that he knows what he’s talking about, he knows what qualities he brings even if and when he’s off his game.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #576: Nov 08, 2020 08:57:30 pm
      Gave MMOT to Alisson because I felt it's just one of those games where legs are shaky and everybody is tense but he just calmed everybody and late in the 2nd half made a couple of interventions that seemed easy but we're not and genuinely took the pressure off of everybody.

Hendo, Gini and Robbo all could've got it too as far as I'm concerned.

Matip was class but after a certain point in the game made it a bad habit to release flunky passes that were quickly intercepted or put the receiver in a bad position and translated into City getting the ball back. Maybe it was just City's press that was too good and I'm being to hard on him tho.

Wijnaldum was superb, absolutely fantastic.

And people wanted to sell him?!
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #577: Nov 08, 2020 09:37:27 pm
      not the result I was expecting! ;D we've become quite accustomed to beating the top teams these days... but a draw away to City this early in the season is a fair result.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,235 posts | 2813 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #578: Nov 08, 2020 09:39:41 pm

my motm
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #579: Nov 08, 2020 10:08:44 pm
      not the result I was expecting! ;D we've become quite accustomed to beating the top teams these days... but a draw away to City this early in the season is a fair result.

Considering we’ve lost the last 3 prem games at the Etihad, it shows progress
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #580: Nov 08, 2020 10:14:23 pm

I gave him My MOM too!  Though it was a good team performance could have given it half a dozen players at least!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #581: Nov 08, 2020 10:14:47 pm
      A fit Thiago and we win that game, second half was crying out for a midfielder to hold onto and dictate the play from deep.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #582: Nov 08, 2020 10:21:23 pm
      We should've been 3-0 up after 20 minutes..
      That first minute one on one chance Bobby had should've been buried.
      Trent should've squared it across goal to unmarked Jota and Mane instead of hitting it straight at the goalkeeper.

Man City we're sh*te... a team full of money boys with no history and no fans.

Love to have been a fly on the wall listening in to what was said in our dressing room at half time because for some unkown reason, we may as well have come out second half with out a forward line.

I'll take the point but I should be on here congratulating the lads for scooping up the three points tonight..

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #583: Nov 08, 2020 10:28:28 pm
      Still not sure who to go for ref motm.
      Might have a better idea after motd.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,047 posts | 2099 
      Reply #584: Nov 08, 2020 10:41:18 pm
      A fit Thiago and we win that game, second half was crying out for a midfielder to hold onto and dictate the play from deep.

Totally agree with this.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #585: Nov 08, 2020 11:00:20 pm
      The interplay between the front 4 was crap, wrong pass at wrong time etc, we should have won that game in the first 30 mins.
      Having said that, a draw away to City is a very good result.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #586: Nov 08, 2020 11:07:55 pm

Yep, game was screaming for him.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #587: Nov 08, 2020 11:42:59 pm
      Hmm kind of agree. I don’t know where the 4-2-4 came from but we were certainly playing 4-4-2 for the majority of the game, maybe changed up a bit when Shaq came on. Could clearly see that Bobby and Salah were the most advanced and Mane was a bit more penned back than usual. In fact their goal game from Mane pushing forward and dragging Gini out, leaving De Bruyne free.

Disagree. Our shape changes depending on where the ball is and who is in possession.

Against city especially, mane is going to naturally drop in deeper whenever they have the ball. Salah did too in the first half. But mane was still on the left and salah was still on the right with Bobby in the middle.

So we were 4-3–3 in possession and if anything, we changed to a 4-5-1 whenever city had possession. We didn’t press their back four like usual and we let them have the ball which surprised me. Klopp showed them too much respect in my opinion because I think we could have forced them into making mistakes. Their back four is awful.

I focused a lot on Jotas positioning and he was playing Hendersons usual position when Fabinho is in the team. He was playing on the right of the midfield three, covering the space that salah leaves, and I felt he was wasted there. I think it was a mistake putting our man in form after just scoring a hat trick in the midfield.

If anything, we moved to 4-4-2 when Shaq came on. He seemed to be firmly on the right side of midfield with salah up top. Even then it was more of a 4-5-1 though, shaq was just more disciplined than salah was in the first half, probably under Klopps orders.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #588: Nov 08, 2020 11:54:06 pm
      Disagree. Our shape changes depending on where the ball is and who is in possession.

Against city especially, mane is going to naturally drop in deeper whenever they have the ball. Salah did too in the first half. But mane was still on the left and salah was still on the right with Bobby in the middle.

So we were 4-3–3 in possession and if anything, we changed to a 4-5-1 whenever city had possession. We didn’t press their back four like usual and we let them have the ball which surprised me. Klopp showed them too much respect in my opinion because I think we could have forced them into making mistakes. Their back four is awful.

I focused a lot on Jotas positioning and he was playing Hendersons usual position when Fabinho is in the team. He was playing on the right of the midfield three, covering the space that salah leaves, and I felt he was wasted there. I think it was a mistake putting our man in form after just scoring a hat trick in the midfield.

If anything, we moved to 4-4-2 when Shaq came on. He seemed to be firmly on the right side of midfield with salah up top. Even then it was more of a 4-5-1 though, shaq was just more disciplined than salah was in the first half, probably under Klopps orders.

Agree completely on Jota. Thought he played pretty well considering he had to play out of position at the right of midfield to accommodate Bobby. Despite this he was still the more threatening player and managed a few shots on target from distance. He was also unlucky not to pounce on the spill after Trents shot.

But I would rather Jota not start and come on as an impact sub on the left or up top rather than wasting him out right of midfield just so Jürgen can accommodate an underperforming Bobby.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #589: Nov 08, 2020 11:56:30 pm
      Finally went for Robbo motm. Where does he get his energy from. If we could bottle that, and feed the rest of the squad on it....

Do you think he sleeps at night ?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #590: Nov 09, 2020 12:12:52 am
      I'm gutted but I don't feel like I would normally, if we drew against any other Team.

Still can't believe that pen they got was given, was laughing my arse off when he shot wide. Sucked in!!!

I'm ok with a point, better then ever losing to them! 

Wanted to slap Bernado Silva when he came on just for the sake of it  ;D

and another Bonus, Raheem didn't get a sniff!!  :D

Get back safe Boys and Trent, hope it's nothing serious.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #591: Nov 09, 2020 12:13:15 am
      Agree completely on Jota. Thought he played pretty well considering he had to play out of position at the right of midfield to accommodate Bobby. Despite this he was still the more threatening player and managed a few shots on target from distance. He was also unlucky not to pounce on the spill after Trents shot.

But I would rather Jota not start and come on as an impact sub on the left or up top rather than wasting him out right of midfield just so Jürgen can accommodate an underperforming Bobby.

Agreed. I think Jota scored 7 in 10 before this game and for somebody who has mostly been an impact player coming on for the last 20 mins of games that’s very impressive.

Bobby is in dire form and has been for a while. I don’t know what’s happened to him. His goal scoring was never a big concern for me because of how good he is off the ball and how he brings the best out of both salah and mane but he is offering us zilch right now and it’s like playing with ten men.

I thought it was a strange choice by klopp after Jotas performance midweek to take him out of the forward role and persist with bobby. He’s just scored a hat trick, keep him in that position where he’s flying and confidence is sky high.

I’m not a fan of bobby in the midfield but out the two of them I’d have had bobby the more deeper role, but surely we would have been more balanced if Keita or Milner started and Jota was upfront.

Strange one.
      DanMann

• 5,749 posts | 882 
      Reply #592: Nov 09, 2020 12:47:23 am

Says the bloke who has absolutely no f***in idea what Bobby brings to this team, he hasn’t been at his best granted but he brings more than you see, get off the blokes back ffs , why is it do you think that when the best manager on the planet keeps picking him, that he knows what he’s talking about, he knows what qualities he brings even if and when he’s off his game.

We all admire Klopp, but whilst the best, he is not perfect. He has weaknesses, and one of those is his stubbornness even when he is wrong. Don't you remember this is precisely how he was with Emre Can?

Right now, no-one can say what Bobby brings to the team.  ;D
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #593: Nov 09, 2020 12:55:52 am
      In 2019 we went to the etihad played brilliant, lost and ultimately it was the difference in the title race. Today we went to the etihad played average enough and got a point. Any team that isn’t at it at the races at the etihad usually gets beat. Not losing today could be huge come the end of the season!

Shame about Trents injury but it sums up the fixture congestion perfectly at the moment. I dread what might happen to our players at internationals! 
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #594: Nov 09, 2020 01:05:20 am
      We all admire Klopp, but whilst the best, he is not perfect. He has weaknesses, and one of those is his stubbornness even when he is wrong. Don't you remember this is precisely how he was with Emre Can?

Right now, no-one can say what Bobby brings to the team;D

Goes to show you little you pay attention to the game. The last 30 mins were actually a textbook example of what we lose when Bobby is taken out. We lost possession and were unable to get the ball back as easily because Shaqiri was asked to play deeper and dropping back to recover the ball and carry it up the field is not to his strengths. Shaqiri is a last-third type of player while Firmino does a lot of work to help recover possession in our own half then start knitting the attack, massively important against teams with world class offense like City.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #595: Nov 09, 2020 01:31:30 am

Bobby is in awful form and has been for a while. He isn’t bringing much to the team at all (if anything) currently. Even his off the ball work has been poor. I can’t remember when he last regained possession for us and he used to do it a dozen times per game.

As for Klopp, he’s very much about team morale. Firstly, if he benches Firmino for half a dozen games then it creates headlines. The media will be all over it and rumours will creep in about bobby being unhappy and there will be all kinds of transfer stories.

Secondly, it’s rare klopp signs somebody and throws them straight into the team. He persisted with plenty of Brendan Rodgers signings for a long, long time when we could all see they weren’t good enough.

We all love Bobby and you don’t turn into a sh*t player overnight, he’s still world class, but it’s come to the point now where Jürgen has to seriously consider taking him out for a few games. It’ll probably do him a world of good knowing he has serious competition in Jota.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #596: Nov 09, 2020 04:48:44 am
      Agreed. I think Jota scored 7 in 10 before this game and for somebody who has mostly been an impact player coming on for the last 20 mins of games that’s very impressive.

Bobby is in dire form and has been for a while. I don’t know what’s happened to him. His goal scoring was never a big concern for me because of how good he is off the ball and how he brings the best out of both salah and mane but he is offering us zilch right now and it’s like playing with ten men.

I thought it was a strange choice by klopp after Jotas performance midweek to take him out of the forward role and persist with bobby. He’s just scored a hat trick, keep him in that position where he’s flying and confidence is sky high.

I’m not a fan of bobby in the midfield but out the two of them I’d have had bobby the more deeper role, but surely we would have been more balanced if Keita or Milner started and Jota was upfront.

Strange one.

I thought that when I seen the starting X1 with Bobby & Jota in, that Bobby would be the one dropping back, with Salah & Mane in their usual positions and Jota thru the middle, I think Jürgen missed a trick there but I’m here sat at home and not in the gaffers chair at Anfield, to field such a attack and then not attack as you won’t expect was a bit strange if I’m honest, I think it would have worked better had Thiago played tho,

How often do you see Bobby drop back to find the ball when we are in full flow, quite a lot if you watch him closely, it’s why Klopp has him in there, that and his link up play, he’s the glue that binds us together but at the moment isn’t quite as sticky,

That first half hour I was drooling and thought once we got that first a second would follow soon after but it obviously didn’t, and the longer that went on the more accustomed Citeh got to our system and eventually matched us, that first half was a great watch, if only we had scored a second before they equalised I think we would have won it.

Y  N  W  A
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #597: Nov 09, 2020 04:59:24 am

Right now, no-one can say what Bobby brings to the team.  ;D

You have no f***in clue what you are on about, your Sphincter must be red raw with all that sh*te pouring thru it,

Oh and Emre Can fu**ed off because he thought he was bigger than the club tried to hold us to ransom but in truth he was just a average midfield player who couldn’t be arsed to work his tits off for his peers.

In Layman’s terms.....A Lazy c**t, but unlike you......A Stupid c**t !

Y  N  W  A

Quick Reply