Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

John Barnes comments.

Read 8123 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: John Barnes comments.
      Reply #23: Nov 16, 2020 09:36:07 am
      Slightly more context there although obviously a bit of a PR thing for the gambling company!

So he said that after 2 years being 25 points off the top would have seen an English or black manager sacked at Liverpool.

Sadly I do think the media and a section of fans may well have applied more pressure under those circumstances. Who knows how that would have panned out.

I think any white person who believes that black people are judged by the exact same standards is lying to themselves.

Playing staff in the Premier League look completely different to the boardrooms and coaching staff.

John, nor anyone else has anything to back up the claim that Liverpool would sack someone sooner based on skin colout.

No denying this world and football certsinly has issues around discrimination. But that does not allow for sweeping statements. Should a whote coach best man for a job noe be overlooked for a black man because of how society views this issue currently? Likewise should a eoman get a job ahead of a better placed man just to equal out gender balance?

Is there no premier league black managers just maybe because none out there are good enough? Its going to happen a club will hire a black manager for the wrong reasons not because they are the right person for the job.

No person of any background is denying issues exist in society but that cant allow for someone like Barnes to come out with statements like that. Was he sacked at Celtic because of his colour ir how he performed in his job?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #24: Nov 16, 2020 04:53:32 pm
      The likes of Barnes and Cambell being sacked are for one reason. They were sh*te as a manager. PERIOD...
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #25: Nov 16, 2020 05:38:28 pm
      It's a daft statement from an intelligent man. Maybe his aim was to cause controversy and get people talking about why there aren't more black people in football management. A lot of talent must be going to waste.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #26: Nov 17, 2020 10:00:09 am
      The likes of Barnes and Cambell being sacked are for one reason. They were sh*te as a manager. PERIOD...

It's down to this all day. Delivering the result.

Sport is all about winning. If you got an excellent win rate, you're never out of job. Sportspeople and fans love winning. Who loves losing? Nobody likes to lose.

If someone is jobless despite an excellent win rate, then perhaps those reasoning might be valid. But first, get on the winning mode. Otherwise, everything else is secondary.

Most decent jobs (there are extremes of course) hire people for the outcomes they can deliver anyway, not because of the background or identity of the candidate.
      Kopite78
      Reply #27: Nov 17, 2020 10:08:20 am
      It's down to this all day. Delivering the result.

Sport is all about winning. If you got an excellent win rate, you're never out of job. Sportspeople and fans love winning. Who loves losing? Nobody likes to lose.

If someone is jobless despite an excellent win rate, then perhaps those reasoning might be valid. But first, get on the winning mode. Otherwise, everything else is secondary.

Most decent jobs (there are extremes of course) hire people for the outcomes they can deliver anyway, not because of the background or identity of the candidate.

I agree to an extent, of course results are the ultimate and be all and end all

However if people think systemic racism doesnt exist in this country they're either , blind to it or part of the problem
      I saw a thread on instagram this morning on the back of the new sainsburys christmas advert
      It's simply disgusting people still hold these views and act like this in 2020
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #28: Nov 17, 2020 12:48:10 pm
      I agree to an extent, of course results are the ultimate and be all and end all

However if people think systemic racism doesnt exist in this country they're either , blind to it or part of the problem
      I saw a thread on instagram this morning on the back of the new sainsburys christmas advert
      It's simply disgusting people still hold these views and act like this in 2020

Well... employers should hire staff based on their ability to deliver, as best practice. More importantly, they should not disregard the candidate’s ability to deliver results and hire based on origin or identity. Equal opportunity employment and fair employment practice.

And after securing the job, the rest is up to the staff to deliver. And to be fair, no employer likes a staff that consistently underperforms. We know better as fans (like how we want some players or managers out).

Everything here is should and ideally. But I guess the world is indeed not perfect and everyone is exposed to our own unique situation. Hence differing views.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #29: Nov 21, 2020 08:21:16 am
      I think the more pertinent conversation should be, if Jürgen was black would he have been given the opportunity at Mainz to develop into a coach good enough to eventually become Liverpool manager.

It's all well and good talking about only the best should be given the top jobs but if the opportunities way, way, way down the system are limited then very few will rise to the top.

Thinking about all our backroom staff, analyst's, academy staff and coaches etc can you think of any from a BAME background?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #30: Nov 21, 2020 11:34:51 am
      I think the more pertinent conversation should be, if Jürgen was black would he have been given the opportunity at Mainz to develop into a coach good enough to eventually become Liverpool manager.

It's all well and good talking about only the best should be given the top jobs but if the opportunities way, way, way down the system are limited then very few will rise to the top.

Thinking about all our backroom staff, analyst's, academy staff and coaches etc can you think of any from a BAME background?

Is there any evidence, in recent times, of BAME candidates being passed over in favour of white candidates, at any level of the game. If so I'd find that very very surprising.

Until people stop using identity politics to categorise people by colour or religion racism will never end.  Everyone MUST have the same equal opportunities irrespective of race, creed or colour.
      Kopite78
      Reply #31: Nov 21, 2020 11:39:31 am
      Is there any evidence, in recent times, of BAME candidates being passed over in favour of white candidates, at any level of the game. If so I'd find that very very surprising.

I think that's the point and difference between conscious or subconscious racism
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #32: Nov 21, 2020 11:43:40 am
      I think that's the point and difference between conscious or subconscious racism

What is the difference between conscious and subconscious racism?
      Kopite78
      Reply #33: Nov 21, 2020 12:00:54 pm
      What is the difference between conscious and subconscious racism?

People who are openly racist and people who do subconsciously racist things
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #34: Nov 21, 2020 12:05:21 pm
      People who are openly racist and people who do subconsciously racist things

How do you tell the difference?
      Kopite78
      Reply #35: Nov 21, 2020 12:12:48 pm

That's the difficulty

Some people won't even know that they are either subconsciously racist or doing subconsciously racist things

And that's untimely the point Barnes is trying to make in context and we cant judge really as we haven't walked in his shoes let alone lived in his skin all his life

For a white man to say subconscious racism doesnt exist or that he hasnt been treated differently in his life because of his skin colour in itself is subconscious racism
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36: Nov 21, 2020 12:23:04 pm
      That's the difficulty

Some people won't even know that they are either subconsciously racist or doing subconsciously racist things

And that's untimely the point Barnes is trying to make in context and we cant judge really as we haven't walked in his shoes let alone lived in his skin all his life

For a white man to say subconscious racism doesnt exist or that he hasnt been treated differently in his life because of his skin colour in itself is subconscious racism

Which brings us back to my original point that we need to stop using identity politics to group people by their skin colour. The only way to stop racism is to stop recognising different races, we are all the same.
      Kopite78
      Reply #37: Nov 21, 2020 12:25:05 pm
      Which brings us back to my original point that we need to stop using identity politics to group people by their skin colour. The only way to stop racism is to stop recognising different races, we are all the same.

Completely agree mate

Unfortunately not everyone does and that's the point the likes of Barnes and others are making

Someone sent me a thread of messages about the sainsburys christmas advert which features a black family this year if you haven't seen it

Some of the comments were disgusting. Within in it were numerous examples of conscious and subconscious racism
      Some outwardly being racist
      Some maybe not knowing

Comments like

Wheres the whites

Only 15% of the country is black yet this advert is 100%

This country doesn't feel like my own anymore

I can't relate to this

Absolutely disgusting, I mean the last one,did that same person say the same about the aldi advert or can he relate more to a family of F***ing carrots 🤷‍♂️
      « Last Edit: Nov 21, 2020 12:32:42 pm by Kopite78 »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #38: Nov 21, 2020 01:09:36 pm

Until people stop using identity politics to categorise people by colour or religion racism will never end.  Everyone MUST have the same equal opportunities irrespective of race, creed or colour.

This is a perfect example of subconscious racism.

You're asking for evidence of racism or inequality, then say we shouldn't put labels on certain groups without which we cant provide evidence yet it clearly happens otherwise every walk of life would be representative.

People disbelieving not all things are equal are part of the problem.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39: Nov 21, 2020 03:57:27 pm
      This is a perfect example of subconscious racism.

You're asking for evidence of racism or inequality, then say we shouldn't put labels on certain groups without which we cant provide evidence yet it clearly happens otherwise every walk of life would be representative.

People disbelieving not all things are equal are part of the problem.

"yet it clearly happens otherwise every walk of life would be representative." sorry but if you insist on sticking to your identity politics then you will have to back that up with some facts, what exactly do you mean by representative, for example how many subgroups are you calculating here, ie is it just white versus the rest, in that case are Jews classed as white, are Eastern Europeans grouped with English etc etc. You see it gets very very complicated very fast if you try to force equality of outcome which is why its stupid and futile to even try. Equality of opportunity should be the goal.

Can you give me specific examples of any industry or sector of society that has barriers of entry based purely on skin colour, if so then that is a serious issue, but I kind of doubt you can. I am yet to have anyone give me a clear example of systemic racism in this country, and Barnes getting fired because he was a sh*t manager simply does not count!
      Kopite78
      Reply #40: Nov 21, 2020 04:32:49 pm
      "yet it clearly happens otherwise every walk of life would be representative." sorry but if you insist on sticking to your identity politics then you will have to back that up with some facts, what exactly do you mean by representative, for example how many subgroups are you calculating here, ie is it just white versus the rest, in that case are Jews classed as white, are Eastern Europeans grouped with English etc etc. You see it gets very very complicated very fast if you try to force equality of outcome which is why its stupid and futile to even try. Equality of opportunity should be the goal.

Can you give me specific examples of any industry or sector of society that has barriers of entry based purely on skin colour, if so then that is a serious issue, but I kind of doubt you can. I am yet to have anyone give me a clear example of systemic racism in this country, and Barnes getting fired because he was a sh*t manager simply does not count!

First part of this is arguing for the sake of arguing

Second part is a major part of the issue

All of it shows that you have zero understanding, and probably for the sake of humanity that type should just leave it
      « Last Edit: Nov 21, 2020 04:41:29 pm by Kopite78 »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41: Nov 21, 2020 05:17:35 pm
      First part of this is arguing for the sake of arguing

Second part is a major part of the issue

All of it shows that you have zero understanding, and probably for the sake of humanity that type should just leave it

So asking for proof is arguing, is that because you have no actual proof and it's all in your subconscious?

A big part of the problem around racism is that it's impossible to have a discussion without having insults hurled.

Btw your kind of dismissive cancel culture attitude is the problem. You will never fix racism that way.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #42: Nov 21, 2020 05:24:12 pm

Unfortunately human nature is to subconsciously tend to like people who are like ourselves.
      Kopite78
      Reply #43: Nov 21, 2020 05:48:46 pm
      So asking for proof is arguing, is that because you have no actual proof and it's all in your subconscious?

A big part of the problem around racism is that it's impossible to have a discussion without having insults hurled.

Btw your kind of dismissive cancel culture attitude is the problem. You will never fix racism that way.

You're asking for proof of something thats impossible to prove, certainly by simple words anyway

I haven't thrown any insults whatsoever

Explain your last comment please
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #44: Nov 21, 2020 08:03:29 pm
      That's the difficulty

Yep, 100% correct there. I can't remember the specifics, but there was a music orchestra somewhere in the USA who were appointing more white people than black people when compared to the balance of those who audtioned ... anyway, they did an experiment and got the musicians to audition behind a screen so the judges couldn't see them and the proportion of black people they appointed increased a lot. It was entirely sub-conscious, but it was definitely there beforehand.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #45: Nov 21, 2020 08:10:11 pm
      Raheem Sterling highlighted very well recently when he showed how newspapers reported Phil Foden and Tosin Adarabioyo buying homes. Both very similar stories but were reported in very different ways.

Quick Reply