Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

International football - Review needed

Read 3376 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      International football - Review needed
      Nov 16, 2020 02:10:46 pm
      Aside from the fact we are losing players arse over elbow to injury does international football need a review now?

Players being treated shockingly this season. With such a condensed domestic calendar they are then expected to fit in 3 international games in a week. Its madness and will lead to careers being cut short. Apart from.the strain on the body from playing some lads have some crazy airmiles to clock up on top of the playing.

For me it needs a review. An example of what Id look for would be 5 calendar weeks set aside in a 2 year period, aside from major summer tournaments. 2 games permitted in that week. Each federation must organise the qualifers are in groups of 5, so its 8 qualifer games. That leaves room for 2 friendlies to allow internstional managers look st different thngs

An example would be March gets 1 week international, June 1 week when domestic season ends, October 1 week for internationals
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Re: International football - Review needed
      Reply #1: Nov 17, 2020 08:50:08 am
      The international calendar applies worldwide. Everyone went mad at missing one league game to play the World Club Cup last year, they go crazy when the AFCON is held in mid season. What are they going to do if each federation set their own dates, that means more disruption to clubs.

Travelling and playing 3 games per week is normal now at club level, we've done it for several weeks already this season. There's no alternative when our players must play 4 club competitions and fit internationals in as well. When I raised these concerns 6 months ago, I was told that they have just had 3 months off,  so they don't need more. There are still 6 months of the season to go, 7 if you include the Euros and Copa America, 9 if you include the Olympics. I think we now see that the current demands are too much for some players to manage.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2: Nov 17, 2020 09:15:45 am
      The international calendar applies worldwide. Everyone went mad at missing one league game to play the World Club Cup last year, they go crazy when the AFCON is held in mid season. What are they going to do if each federation set their own dates, that means more disruption to clubs.

Travelling and playing 3 games per week is normal now at club level, we've done it for several weeks already this season. There's no alternative when our players must play 4 club competitions and fit internationals in as well. When I raised these concerns 6 months ago, I was told that they have just had 3 months off,  so they don't need more. There are still 6 months of the season to go, 7 if you include the Euros and Copa America, 9 if you include the Olympics. I think we now see that the current demands are too much for some players to manage.

The way to approach this is top down - setting up a commission representing clubs, feds, players, supporters, business. It would need to take a less is more model, probably capping domestic leagues at 18 teams, and  setting up something on international football to tier off the competitions. This would reduce the # of matches needed by removing the fallacy that Andorra and Moldova should be competing with England and Germany. Only one domestic cup competition per nation and tier off the continental club comps as well. It can be done if everybody is willing to give a little. It would improve the wheat to chaff ratio on worthwhile matches for us to watch as well.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #3: Nov 17, 2020 11:25:28 am
      Everybody likes and needs that TV revenue.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4: Nov 17, 2020 11:41:24 am
      As a scotland supporter Im loving the nations league. much better than the pointless friendlies.

but I 100% agree its been madness sending players around the world during the worst pandemic in modern times.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #5: Nov 18, 2020 07:40:26 pm
      As a scotland supporter Im loving the nations league. much better than the pointless friendlies.

but I 100% agree its been madness sending players around the world during the worst pandemic in modern times.

So I'm glad, as I said in the other thread, that Scotland have qualified.

But this Nations League format, looks a lot to me like the third or fourth-placed team in the Premier League having to  play the League One champion in a playoff to see who goes the following season's Champions League. Not sure about that one.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6: Nov 18, 2020 07:52:43 pm
      Quick review: it's F***ing sh*te
      Kopite78
      Reply #7: Nov 18, 2020 07:54:54 pm

Dont think I've watched an international game since about 2004

F***ing awful waste of time
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #8: Nov 18, 2020 07:56:21 pm
      Cant believe Robbo plays tonight. Clarke should know better. Reckless stuff if he did pull a hammy last week.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #9: Nov 18, 2020 11:04:22 pm
      The clubs pay the players wages, so surely they should have more of a say, in whether a player plays, especially in meaningless friendly internationals. The risk of injury to a player penalises the clubs more so, than the country they represent.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #10: Nov 19, 2020 11:43:43 am
      Dont think I've watched an international game since about 2004

F***ing awful waste of time

Always watch big finals but first time in ages haven't watched any. Rather watch Mrs Brown's boys
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #11: Nov 19, 2020 01:20:24 pm
      The way to approach this is top down - setting up a commission representing clubs, feds, players, supporters, business. It would need to take a less is more model, probably capping domestic leagues at 18 teams, and  setting up something on international football to tier off the competitions. This would reduce the # of matches needed by removing the fallacy that Andorra and Moldova should be competing with England and Germany. Only one domestic cup competition per nation and tier off the continental club comps as well. It can be done if everybody is willing to give a little. It would improve the wheat to chaff ratio on worthwhile matches for us to watch as well.

This would be the solution, I know the subject of this thead is international football is asking to much (which they are this year) but the domestic and contential competitions are gulty of trying to squeeze as much out of the players. Problem is they will never work with each other on situation because someone might have to sacrifice more than the other.

I like internationals but my issues is with the amount of tournaments more so than friendly/qualification matches. In a four year cycle each region should have only one tournament (Euro's, Copa America, ACON, Gold Cup etc). Feel like the Brazilians are playing summer tourney every off-season

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2020 01:26:12 pm by adammac »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #12: Nov 19, 2020 01:54:48 pm
      I think what needs reviewing is the availability of players from an injured squad.
       If you have 4 Center backs, and two are injured, you have the right to with hold the other two from international games whoever they play for.
      Similar with other positions as well.
      We have 6 or 7 midfielders, but if we are down to just 3 fit. They can be with held by the club.
      The clubs must be able to field a side of fit senior players, before any can be taken to international duty.
      It’s the club who pay the wages, not international sides !
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #13: Nov 20, 2020 04:39:04 pm
      must be different for some fans and I get why most english fans hate england national team (FA and all that).

But as a scot, my country comes first, even if we are sh1te most of the time ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #14: Nov 20, 2020 04:42:12 pm
      So I'm glad, as I said in the other thread, that Scotland have qualified.

But this Nations League format, looks a lot to me like the third or fourth-placed team in the Premier League having to  play the League One champion in a playoff to see who goes the following season's Champions League. Not sure about that one.

with covid id say the nations league could have been scrapped this year, scotland travlled to 3 countries ffs during a world wide pandemic.

But as some have said in the press the actual FAs from the various countries needed the money to stay afloat. Same as club football.

Its just difficult times for all. Id imagine for majority of fans from other countries these games brought some much needed distraction and cheer also.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #15: Nov 20, 2020 05:17:48 pm
      with covid id say the nations league could have been scrapped this year, scotland travlled to 3 countries ffs during a world wide pandemic.

But as some have said in the press the actual FAs from the various countries needed the money to stay afloat. Same as club football.

Its just difficult times for all. Id imagine for majority of fans from other countries these games brought some much needed distraction and cheer also.

I watched a couple of the intl. games - Spain vs. Germany and Holland vs. Poland.

On the topic of club vs. country in these days of very crowded fixture lists, Look what Jose is saying: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/20/mourinho-demands-southgate-answer-over-sterling-england-pull-out
      Kopite78
      Reply #16: Nov 20, 2020 10:17:08 pm
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #17: Nov 20, 2020 10:32:04 pm
      I love my country beyond words. But from.a football point of view, Livetpool FC is everything
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #18: Dec 07, 2020 07:05:28 pm
      England World Cup qualifying draw means Jordan, Trent and others will be called away for 10 matches total between March and November (2021) with Poland, Hungary, Albania, Andorra and San Marino. They really should have play-in rounds for some of these teams to reduce the number of pointless games. Any Premier League club's U23 side could beat at least those last two.

Quick Reply