Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Atalanta; UEFA Champions League (Wed.. 25 Nov. 8:00 pm)

Read 2743 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Pre-Match: Liverpool v Atalanta; UEFA Champions League (Wed.. 25 Nov. 8:00 pm)
      Nov 24, 2020 10:01:49 pm
      Group-leading Liverpool host Atalanta knowing a win secure advancement to the Champions League knockout rounds after what would be only four matches of the group stage.

Sounds like Mohammaed Salah is in with a shout to return to action after missing the Leicester match with CoVid. Thiago, not so much.

Interested to see what JĂźrgen decides re recently-returned players such as Fabinho and Joel Matip and a 2nd match in 72 hours. Rhys Williams could be used in central defence where he played well for us when these teams met in Italy. Nat Phillips is ineligible due to not being registered.

Same thing goes for 34-year old James Milner, who was excellent vs. Leicester at right back and later, midfielder. With Trent Alexander-Arnold out injured, does Milner get the nod again at fullback, or will Neco Williams be selected for the starting XI?

We put a hurting on these last time. Do we expect more of the same for Wednesday night?

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Atalanta; UEFA Champions League (Wed.. 25 Nov. 8:00 pm)
      Reply #1: Nov 24, 2020 10:17:45 pm
      Group-leading Liverpool host Atalanta knowing a win secure advancement to the Champions League knockout rounds after what would be only four matches of the group stage.

Sounds like Mohammaed Salah is in with a shout to return to action after missing the Leicester match with CoVid. Thiago, not so much.

Interested to see what JĂźrgen decides re recently-returned players such as Fabinho and Joel Matip and a 2nd match in 72 hours. Rhys Williams could be used in central defence where he played well for us when these teams met in Italy. Nat Phillips is ineligible due to not being registered.

Same thing goes for 34-year old James Milner, who was excellent vs. Leicester at right back and later, midfielder. With Trent Alexander-Arnold out injured, does Milner get the nod again at fullback, or will Neco Williams be selected for the starting XI?

We put a hurting on these last time. Do we expect more of the same for Wednesday night?

One foot already in the door has to look to make some changes . Would rest Robbo and play Tzimimkas , Gini needs a rest and either Mane or Jota make way for Salah . Milner needs to start Saturday so need to tread carefully would take a point if it meant giving key players a rest
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Atalanta; UEFA Champions League (Wed.. 25 Nov. 8:00 pm)
      Reply #2: Nov 24, 2020 10:18:31 pm
      After the "silencing of the foxes" display on Sunday, team morale must be at an all time high! what better time for a midweek CL tie @ Anfield....  ;D ;D ;D

I think we could have a fantastic game tomorrow, although we were expecting a stronger performance from them in the first leg, I still think they played well considering the scoreline!

Team news ahead of this one, looks like Mo is back and Klopp is being cautious:

Quote from: LFC.tv
      Mohamed Salah is set to be available for Liverpool’s meeting with Atalanta BC, but Jürgen Klopp would not be drawn on the fitness of other members of his squad.

Having missed the 3-0 victory over Leicester City at the weekend, Salah returned to team training on Monday and, as such, Klopp expects him to be in contention for Wednesday’s Champions League tie at Anfield.

“Mo trained with the team yesterday and looked really good,” the boss said, during his pre-match press conference.

“The test was negative - all the tests were negative - so, if nothing changed since yesterday, he is available. Now we have to see what we do with that because he was quarantined until three days ago.”

However, when asked to provide an update on Thiago Alcantara, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Jordan Henderson, Naby Keita and Xherdan Shaqiri, Klopp stated: “All the rest, no news. One looks closer, the other one looks not that close, so that’s how the situation is and we’ll see who is available.

“I don’t want to speak too much about it because I have no idea who Atalanta can bring into this game, so why should we give any kind of information to them?”

Atalanta, meanwhile, have named a 23-man travelling squad for their trip to Merseyside.

Mattia Caldara, Fabio Depaoli and Ruslan Malinovskyi are ruled out.

Let's go smash them!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Nov 25, 2020 08:34:16 am
      I always worry if a player just back from injury plays a full game then plays again 2 or 3 days later. Id really consider leaving Fab out for this.

With Keita out I see only 2 options, move Milner or start Clarkson.

Interesting comments from the boss about Minamino in training to.

Based on all that I think

Allisson
      Neco Rhys Matip Tsmiskas

Milner Gini Jones

Minamino Firmino Jota

I think Mane and Robbo will be held in reserve.
      Not sure we see a similar result to the first game but there will be goals
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4: Nov 25, 2020 08:58:52 am
      Would love to see an awesome Flying Four up front again as in the City game.

Would put a few shockwaves around Europe for the last 16.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #5: Nov 25, 2020 10:34:13 am
      Straight forward win  for the Reds, against Atalanta later today. Whoever is picked victory should come by a decent margin, although I think Jota should start, he really looks on fire, to say the least. Hopeful a depleted defence will keep another clean sheet, putting us one foot into the knock out stages of the competition.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #6: Nov 25, 2020 10:52:18 am
      Might be a good game to give Robbo a break if we can.

I always worry if a player just back from injury plays a full game then plays again 2 or 3 days later. Id really consider leaving Fab out for this.

Wonder if JĂźrgen will do what he did in the League Cup again with the centre backs - one half for each alongside Rhys? Might make sense as we have five subs.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #7: Nov 25, 2020 01:02:39 pm

With Keita out I see only 2 options, move Milner or start Clarkson.

Interesting comments from the boss about Minamino in training to.

Based on all that I think

Allisson
      Neco Rhys Matip Tsmiskas

Milner Gini Jones

Minamino Firmino Jota

I think Mane and Robbo will be held in reserve.
      Not sure we see a similar result to the first game but there will be goals

Yeah I agree, a good game for a little bit of rotation, but have them on the bench just in case, we can make 5 subs in this game can't we?
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #8: Nov 25, 2020 01:34:05 pm
      I hope to see some rotation and give players like Robbo a break.

Maybe a front 3 of Salah-Minamino-Origi?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #9: Nov 25, 2020 01:42:47 pm
                                                                   Allison
                                                   Neco   Matip  Fabinho  Kostas
                                                             Gini        Jones
                                                                     Jota
                                                             Salah       Mane
                                                                     Bobby

No 1 best keeper on the planet, Neco & Kostas flanking Matip & Fabinho, those two to form a new CB partnership until Virgil & Joe come back, backed up by Nat & Rhys, Kostas needs minutes pitchside and gives Robbo a night off, Gini as skipper with Jones in midfield with Jota in the hole supplying the three amigos up top, get this one tied up ASAP and we can rotate using  the 5 sub ruling, don’t see Atalanta posing too many issues but we do still need to respect them regardless.

Bench; Adrian, Milner, Minamino, Clarkson, Robbo, Origi, Rhys.

4-0 Champions

Y  N  W  A
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #10: Nov 25, 2020 04:08:37 pm
      Looking at the size of this thread wouldn't think we were playing tonight.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #11: Nov 25, 2020 04:10:38 pm
      Would go
                 Allison
      Milner rhys  matip  robbo
                 Fab
      Jones       gini
      Salah   jota      mane
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #12: Nov 25, 2020 04:29:00 pm
      Looking at the size of this thread wouldn't think we were playing tonight.

Similar to the team, many of us are sidelined. With so many injuries, we probably do not know which team to put out.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #13: Nov 25, 2020 04:33:32 pm
      Save the rotation for the last couple of group games. Go strong tonight and get the group wrapped up.

rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #14: Nov 25, 2020 05:30:45 pm
      Game on Sat dinner what is the point in buying Tzimikas if not going to play Gini also needs rest
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #15: Nov 25, 2020 05:55:19 pm
      Definitely a game for rotation:

Alisson

Neco    Rhys  Matip  Tsimikas

Mo     Gini  Jones  Minamino

Origi     Jota

Quick Reply