Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atalanta?

Alisson Becker
      13 (29.5%)
      Rhys Williams
      4 (9.1%)
      Neco Williams
      1 (2.3%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      2 (4.5%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (2.3%)
      James Milner
      5 (11.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      8 (18.2%)
      Curtis Jones
      4 (9.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (2.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (2.3%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      1 (2.3%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: Nov 29, 2020 09:51:07 pm

Liverpool 0-2 Atalata: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 14330 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,629 posts | 6940 
      Re: Liverpool 0-2 Atalata: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #253: Nov 25, 2020 10:36:10 pm
      Still in the driving seat to qualify but could have had it done and dusted tonight and give the first team the next two midweeks off.

But, when do we ever do this group thing easily. 

Agree with the comment earlier that actually we defended quite well, it's just that we had to do so much of it!  Midfield wasn't up to a lot.  Forwards equally so. 

I honestly thought Mane looked the most tired against Leicester so thought he might have been one to have a night off tonight.

About 60 hours until the next game now!  All a bit daft isn't it really.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #254: Nov 25, 2020 10:36:47 pm
      I don't if it was arrogance but I felt there was one team played tonight that knew they couldn't afford to lose and we got caught out by it and like you said credit to Atalanta we seen tonight what other teams seen happen to then last season, play good attacking football.

I have no issues with Klopp rotation, it is a risk he has to take throughout the season and where we were in the group he could afford to do so. Tonight it didn't work out and even when we brought out the big boys Robbo gets beat for header on second goal and no one provided any cutting edge for the final 30 mins.

All and all disappointing evening but have to dust ourselves quick and get back to it vs Brighton Saturday.

Rotation was OK but he should have brought out the big guns from the start of second half and taken Mane and Origi off. Hindsight is wonderful though.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #255: Nov 25, 2020 10:39:06 pm
      Still in the driving seat to qualify but could have had it done and dusted tonight and give the first team the next two midweeks off.

But, when do we ever do this group thing easily. 

Agree with the comment earlier that actually we defended quite well, it's just that we had to do so much of it!  Midfield wasn't up to a lot.  Forwards equally so. 

I honestly thought Mane looked the most tired against Leicester so thought he might have been one to have a night off tonight.

About 60 hours until the next game now!  All a bit daft isn't it really.

I'd rest Mane against Brighton.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #256: Nov 25, 2020 10:40:38 pm
      I think Origi was given a game just for the sake of giving him s game. He brought nothing positive.
      Neco clearly out of his depth at this level. Curtis back to how he was before the Leicester game. Rhys lacking concentration where it mattered most. Everyone else off key and looked like they were just going through the motions.
      Poor from everyone for some strange reason, looked like they couldn’t care less 🤷‍♂️
      Or maybe took the attitude, I’ll take it easy while everyone else grafts, doesn’t really matter cos we’ll go through anyway !
      Whatever the cause, it was a very poor performance.

Not sure Jürgen will have as much faith in some of those at this level again.

And on we go !
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #257: Nov 25, 2020 10:58:51 pm
      Result was awesome in the first leg.  Atalanta are no pushover.  Not expected this score though.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #258: Nov 25, 2020 11:02:49 pm
      Hate to say it, we where outplayed tonight, after a below par performance to say the least. Although at the end of the day, we will still qualify Ajax,  watch out !
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #259: Nov 25, 2020 11:39:08 pm
      Klopps gamble backfired but even in hindsight I don’t blame him for gambling between the fixture scheduling and the injury list. Not to worry though we will be fine, should beat ajax Tuesday with a stronger team!

All that said I think origi’s days are numbered... last year he was poor and this year he’s pathetic, he doesn’t even look in shape or motivated. Can’t see him make it past this January in the squad.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #260: Nov 26, 2020 01:04:51 am
      I guess most of our MOM went to Allison because there was no option for, "I haven't a F***ing clue." I voted for Ally cos he didn't F**k up.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #261: Nov 26, 2020 01:37:44 am
      Well that was a pretty sh*t watch. Just a bad day at the Office, can now see us going on an unbeaten run as the boys don't like losing!

Feels weird losing. Not used too it!!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1977 
      Reply #262: Nov 26, 2020 02:34:16 am
      I tend not to come on the forum after these type of results and performances because it’s just full of sh*t comments like ‘We weren’t full strength’ ‘we’re still the champions’ or ‘we’re still top of the group’. Some people are literally like children when it comes to football and are incapable of discussing or debating like adults. Just discuss the F***ing game and grow up.

Anyway. Today I will post. The reason being it was arguably our worst performance under Jurgens management. Certainly top three. We’ve been extremely fortunate that these type of performances are incredibly rare under Jürgen so when they do happen it’s a bit of a shock and there’s more things to talk about rather than say beating fulham 5-0 at home which is just the normality now.

So I’ll start with the team. Wasn’t particularly pleased with the line up if I’m honest. I know we’re down to the bare bones and we’ve got a hectic schedule coming up so we need to rotate the best we can, but I just feel tonight was a wasted opportunity. We’re at home so just go full strength with what’s available, try and get the result, and bring players off after 60-70 mins once the game is done and dusted. Then qualification is wrapped up and we can just throw the remaining two games if we wanted.  Now we can’t do that and we will need at-least one more result in this group. Possibly two.

Anyway from the first minute we were sh*t. Very unlike us. The tempo was slow. We looked unorganised. Didn’t have a clue going forward and looked shaky at the back. It was like that throughout the game and to only manage four shots and none on target in 90minutes at anfield is quite embarrassing to be honest. Every team has an off day but F**k me that was bad.

This isn’t a knee jerk at all but what tonight showed me was some players just aren’t good enough at this level. The drop off between these players and our usual starters is huge. 

I’ll start with neco williams. Not good enough. I don’t care how young he is, he just isn’t good enough. He’s had a good handful of appearances now and I’ve thought he’s been a liability in each one. I can say with huge confidence he will never reach the sort of levels trent has.

Then I’ll move on to Tsimikas. Reminded me of Moreno. Typical European headless chicken. Rapid, energetic but reckless. I’m not writing him off after tonight but very poor. 

Now Curtis Jones. Who on earth voted him for motm? He was dreadful. There’s something about Jones I just don’t like. To me it feels like he has a bad attitude. A bit like pogba in a way. I see talent in him but too many times I find him strolling around the pitch like he can’t be arsed. There’s not enough determination from him. Not enough drive.

Then origi. F**k me. He’s scored some massive goals for us so I have a big soft spot for him but he’s just F***ing sh*te isn’t he? I’ve never liked him playing down the middle. He hasn’t got the skill or game knowledge to play in the centre. And for such a big F***ing unit hes a massive fanny too. Gets pushed off the ball constantly and wins nothing in the air. He’s very easy to play against. He’s not as frustrating when he comes on as a sub down the left for us but surely his days starting for Liverpool are well and truly up now. Why wasn’t minamino starting ahead of him? Made no sense to me.

Piss poor performance and there’s no excuse for it so it winds me up when I see people searching for one. No it’s not the end of the world and yes we’re still F***ing boss and yes we will bounce back from it of course we will, but that was one sh*t show that. Not one player played well tonight and a couple of players missed a huge opportunity for themselves in my opinion.

Very poor. But we move on.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #263: Nov 26, 2020 02:51:35 am
      We could have easily been down 0-3 in the first 15 minutes, if it wasn't for their poor finishing. No matter what Team we put out on the park, I don't expect us to ever be outplayed by a visiting team. Boys looked tired especially Sadio.

We probably end up buying their number 10 Gomez next season.  :P
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #264: Nov 26, 2020 03:19:12 am
      I guess most of our MOM went to Allison because there was no option for, "I haven't a f**king clue." I voted for Ally cos he didn't f**k up.

:lmao: :lmao: Exactly my thinking when voting.  We should have another option on the voting!

Bad day at the office.   
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #265: Nov 26, 2020 05:01:27 am
      I tend not to come on the forum after these type of results and performances because it’s just full of sh*t comments like ‘We weren’t full strength’ ‘we’re still the champions’ or ‘we’re still top of the group’. Some people are literally like children when it comes to football and are incapable of discussing or debating like adults. Just discuss the f**king game and grow up.

Anyway. Today I will post. The reason being it was arguably our worst performance under Jurgens management. Certainly top three. We’ve been extremely fortunate that these type of performances are incredibly rare under Jürgen so when they do happen it’s a bit of a shock and there’s more things to talk about rather than say beating fulham 5-0 at home which is just the normality now.

So I’ll start with the team. Wasn’t particularly pleased with the line up if I’m honest. I know we’re down to the bare bones and we’ve got a hectic schedule coming up so we need to rotate the best we can, but I just feel tonight was a wasted opportunity. We’re at home so just go full strength with what’s available, try and get the result, and bring players off after 60-70 mins once the game is done and dusted. Then qualification is wrapped up and we can just throw the remaining two games if we wanted.  Now we can’t do that and we will need at-least one more result in this group. Possibly two.

Anyway from the first minute we were sh*t. Very unlike us. The tempo was slow. We looked unorganised. Didn’t have a clue going forward and looked shaky at the back. It was like that throughout the game and to only manage four shots and none on target in 90minutes at anfield is quite embarrassing to be honest. Every team has an off day but f**k me that was bad.

This isn’t a knee jerk at all but what tonight showed me was some players just aren’t good enough at this level. The drop off between these players and our usual starters is huge. 

I’ll start with neco williams. Not good enough. I don’t care how young he is, he just isn’t good enough. He’s had a good handful of appearances now and I’ve thought he’s been a liability in each one. I can say with huge confidence he will never reach the sort of levels trent has.

Then I’ll move on to Tsimikas. Reminded me of Moreno. Typical European headless chicken. Rapid, energetic but reckless. I’m not writing him off after tonight but very poor. 

Now Curtis Jones. Who on earth voted him for motm? He was dreadful. There’s something about Jones I just don’t like. To me it feels like he has a bad attitude. A bit like pogba in a way. I see talent in him but too many times I find him strolling around the pitch like he can’t be arsed. There’s not enough determination from him. Not enough drive.

Then origi. F**k me. He’s scored some massive goals for us so I have a big soft spot for him but he’s just f**king sh*te isn’t he? I’ve never liked him playing down the middle. He hasn’t got the skill or game knowledge to play in the centre. And for such a big f**king unit hes a massive fanny too. Gets pushed off the ball constantly and wins nothing in the air. He’s very easy to play against. He’s not as frustrating when he comes on as a sub down the left for us but surely his days starting for Liverpool are well and truly up now. Why wasn’t minamino starting ahead of him? Made no sense to me.

Piss poor performance and there’s no excuse for it so it winds me up when I see people searching for one. No it’s not the end of the world and yes we’re still f**king boss and yes we will bounce back from it of course we will, but that was one sh*t show that. Not one player played well tonight and a couple of players missed a huge opportunity for themselves in my opinion.

I don't agree about Neco Williams and Tsimikas. They cannot do miracles when the midfield and attach are themselves so poor. Neco Williams has potential for me, but he played in a team with no legs and bad attitude.

Origi should not play again unless there's no other choice.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #266: Nov 26, 2020 06:49:29 am
      I tend not to come on the forum after these type of results and performances because it’s just full of sh*t comments like ‘We weren’t full strength’ ‘we’re still the champions’ or ‘we’re still top of the group’. Some people are literally like children when it comes to football and are incapable of discussing or debating like adults. Just discuss the f**king game and grow up.

Anyway from the first minute we were sh*t. Very unlike us. The tempo was slow. We looked unorganised. Didn’t have a clue going forward and looked shaky at the back. It was like that throughout the game and to only manage four shots and none on target in 90minutes at anfield is quite embarrassing to be honest. Every team has an off day but f**k me that was bad.

Then origi. F**k me. He’s scored some massive goals for us so I have a big soft spot for him but he’s just f**king sh*te isn’t he? I’ve never liked him playing down the middle. He hasn’t got the skill or game knowledge to play in the centre. And for such a big f**king unit hes a massive fanny too. Gets pushed off the ball constantly and wins nothing in the air. He’s very easy to play against. He’s not as frustrating when he comes on as a sub down the left for us but surely his days starting for Liverpool are well and truly up now. Why wasn’t minamino starting ahead of him? Made no sense to me.

Piss poor performance and there’s no excuse for it so it winds me up when I see people searching for one. No it’s not the end of the world and yes we’re still f**king boss and yes we will bounce back from it of course we will, but that was one sh*t show that. Not one player played well tonight and a couple of players missed a huge opportunity for themselves in my opinion.

Summarised perfectly H, keep saying it, get the game won then rotate, we battered them at their gaff 4-0, had we went 2/3 up by HT, there is no way they would come back from that, I’m no Jürgen Klopp, but I’m no Roy Hodgeson either, I think even he would start full strength, fact is they had to win, we didn’t and that is why we were so lacklustre,
      We lacked pace & endeavour, and your bang on regarding Neco, I agree he just hasn’t as yet pulled up any trees for us and I seriously doubt he ever will, Kostas has something in him maybe a run of games will bring it out but unfortunately for him that is extremely unlikely, unless of course Robbo gets crocked, Origi is done for me too, he has his cult status amongst our fans and that and his medals will all he’ll take from his career with us, Curtis to me needs to have someone alongside him doing the donkey work, normally Gini he was Boss V Leicester but dross tonight, I’m not too harsh on him cos everyone has a off day, it just so happens everyone else did too,

This goes down for me as our worst ever performance under Klopp, and he has to take the blame, I think he thought it would be easy because we battered them 4-0 hence the amount of changes he made, rotation is absolutely the right choice but ffs get the game won first, we had the 5 sub rule to use and we used it the wrong way round, JD was spot on, win the game we could have had two midweek games to play with, and completely rest key players, we can’t do that now and have to win one if not the two remaining games.

I hope this is the last time this happens and that Jürgen changes tact next season.

Y  N  W  A
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,750 posts | 858 
      Reply #267: Nov 26, 2020 07:00:45 am
      Completely understandable. Lots of games over a short period of time, you're gonna, possibly, drop a couple of points here or there.

I know some people are frustrated that we rotated firsr instead of killing the game and then rotating but it was never going to be easy even with everybody on the pitch. They got battered at home, they have a very good squad and a good coach. We still got two games to go to ensure qualification and we're still very much on course to do that.

It's that type of season. Everybody is gonna fall. You just have to manage how and when you fall. I'll take a CL group stage 2-0 defeat with already 9 points in the bank over losing that game against Leicester at home in the shaping moments of the season.

I'll also take a relatively fresh and rested Fabinho, Salah, Robbo, Bobby and Jota for the next league game

Hate losing but yeah, let's move on!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #268: Nov 26, 2020 07:26:43 am

Good post. Not much to argue about really.

My only difference with your take is that the changes made were needed for the sake of the players rested, in context of the overall schedule. Yes a win tonight clinches the group, but the sports science people must have identified some increased risks for injuries for the players left out (Robbo, Jota, Bobby, Fab), all of whom were either involved in internationals and thus didn't get a break when others did, and/or are coming off injuries of their own. Our staff seem to have a pretty sophisticated system re managing minutes and Jürgen is very deferential to that. He decided that the potential damage of losing one of these players to a longer-term injury would be a greater setback to our fortunes this season than losing this gam (also with the Brighton game coming so ridiculously soon as he mentioned again). So he decided it was necessary to rest them and I am sympathetic to that decision.

Of course it would be a moot point except that, as you rightly say, the players who came in to the team did not deliver, and as Jürgen says, the team rhythm was totally disrupted.

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,280 posts | 1663 
      Reply #269: Nov 26, 2020 07:40:47 am
      Good post. Not much to argue about really.

My only difference with your take is that the changes made were needed for the sake of the players rested, in context of the overall schedule. Yes a win tonight clinches the group, but the sports science people must have identified some increased risks for injuries for the players left out (Robbo, Jota, Bobby, Fab), all of whom were either involved in internationals and thus didn't get a break when others did, and/or are coming off injuries of their own. Our staff seem to have a pretty sophisticated system re managing minutes and Jürgen is very deferential to that. He decided that the potential damage of losing one of these players to a longer-term injury would be a greater setback to our fortunes this season than losing this gam (also with the Brighton game coming so ridiculously soon as he mentioned again). So he decided it was necessary to rest them and I am sympathetic to that decision.

Of course it would be a moot point except that, as you rightly say, the players who came in to the team did not deliver, and as Jürgen says, the team rhythm was totally disrupted.

There is bound to be  a drop off some of these players do not play half as much as others and difficult to just turn it on like the first team would was a collective poor effort throughout  and not just the scapegoat players but Salah,Mane ,Matip all poor from the off
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #270: Nov 26, 2020 08:04:06 am

100% agree, as bad as we were as a team last night the main culprit was Origi, he's a lazy, talentless waste of space, how demoralising for Minamino to be behind him in the pecking order. Mind you Salah and Mane weren't a lot better, but I honestly think Origi threw them off their game then in the last 30 minutes Atalanta defended well when we brought on the the reinforcements. Its why I'm not a fan of doing it that way round, its much better to start strong then bring players off than the reverse as its hard to get into a game off the bench, not many players can do that, especially ones who normally start.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #271: Nov 26, 2020 08:08:15 am
      Completely understandable. Lots of games over a short period of time, you're gonna, possibly, drop a couple of points here or there.

I know some people are frustrated that we rotated firsr instead of killing the game and then rotating but it was never going to be easy even with everybody on the pitch. They got battered at home, they have a very good squad and a good coach. We still got two games to go to ensure qualification and we're still very much on course to do that.

It's that type of season. Everybody is gonna fall. You just have to manage how and when you fall. I'll take a CL group stage 2-0 defeat with already 9 points in the bank over losing that game against Leicester at home in the shaping moments of the season.

I'll also take a relatively fresh and rested Fabinho, Salah, Robbo, Bobby and Jota for the next league game

Hate losing but yeah, let's move on!

Sorry but if you beat a team, 5-0 away then you really should be expecting to beat them quite easily at home, but you can't do that with your B team and 2 isolated strikers up front, sorry I don't count Origi as a player, we may as well have had 10 players on the pitch. What Klopp sees in Origi is quite beyond me, is he perhaps amazing in training or is Minamino that sh*t???
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #272: Nov 26, 2020 09:37:08 am
      With Origi doing jack off the ball and old man Milner in midfield, Atalanta had all the time in midfield just a shame Keita is made of glass.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1977 
      Reply #273: Nov 26, 2020 10:00:45 am
      I don't agree about Neco Williams and Tsimikas. They cannot do miracles when the midfield and attach are themselves so poor. Neco Williams has potential for me, but he played in a team with no legs and bad attitude.

Origi should not play again unless there's no other choice.

I was in a bad mood last night after that performance so maybe I was a bit harsh in my post. It was unfair of me to write a young 19 year old kid off.

I do stand by what I said though, I haven’t been impressed whenever he has played and I haven’t seen any of the potential you refer to yet.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #274: Nov 26, 2020 10:42:55 am
      Not read too much on here do not sure if this has been mentioned.
      The style of two goals conceded.
      Just an observation, how many times did our forwards bust a gut to get into the box, when the first time ball was on from the right wing. Then the ball is held up, another touch, attempt to beat the defender, jink, jockey, feint, then turn around and play it back down the line !
      It’s no wider the front line looked like they couldn’t be bothered. Run their nuts off time and again snd the ball didn’t come in 🤷‍♂️
      You can get a bit pissed off with that when you’re out there, and we conceded two by that very tactic.

Not the end of the world, so let’s get on snd win the next one !
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #275: Nov 26, 2020 01:49:42 pm
      I was in a bad mood last night after that performance so maybe I was a bit harsh in my post. It was unfair of me to write a young 19 year old kid off.

I do stand by what I said though, I haven’t been impressed whenever he has played and I haven’t seen any of the potential you refer to yet.

If I were a coach I’d be called a hard task master, Neco although a young lad has been given a few chances of late but still to me hasn’t shown enough to make me say he’s a ideal back up to Trent, I’m not sorry about that it’s just how I see it, and I think Jürgen knows that too, if not, he would have trusted Neco against Leicester,
      To be fair to the lad though CL level is different from epl, and he does have time on his side but, not too much, like Kostas on the other side he won’t have a run of games long enough for him to really make a impact, so last night you could argue was a needs must decision rather than one of trust,

Unless in the next few months he starts to show his real potential I really can’t see him having a future with us, I hope though he proves me wrong and tells me to shove my opinion up my hole, but I’m not gonna hold my breath .

Y  N  W  A

Quick Reply