Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atalanta?

Alisson Becker
      13 (29.5%)
      Rhys Williams
      4 (9.1%)
      Neco Williams
      1 (2.3%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      2 (4.5%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (2.3%)
      James Milner
      5 (11.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      8 (18.2%)
      Curtis Jones
      4 (9.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (2.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (2.3%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      1 (2.3%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: Nov 29, 2020 09:51:07 pm

Liverpool 0-2 Atalata: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 14031 times
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Re: Liverpool 0-2 Atalata: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #276: Nov 26, 2020 01:56:20 pm
      I was in a bad mood last night after that performance so maybe I was a bit harsh in my post. It was unfair of me to write a young 19 year old kid off.

I do stand by what I said though, I haven’t been impressed whenever he has played and I haven’t seen any of the potential you refer to yet.

Not wholly convinced by Neco Williams either, but way too early to write him off. Tsmikas has time to develop, but he looked out of place last night. Having said that, it can't have been easy for any of the younger, less experienced, players because of just how badly we were playing. To be fair to Atlanta part of that was their performance. Their man marking is very aggressive and we couldn't play out from the back. It was either a long ball to the front three, or sideways to RB/LB and then backwards again. I think we actually defended okay most of the time, except for the two moments when unfortunately they were very clinical.

Not sure that's our worst ever performance under Klopp but it's definitely up there.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #277: Nov 26, 2020 02:49:35 pm
      Not wholly convinced by Neco Williams either, but way too early to write him off. Tsmikas has time to develop, but he looked out of place last night. Having said that, it can't have been easy for any of the younger, less experienced, players because of just how badly we were playing. To be fair to Atlanta part of that was their performance. Their man marking is very aggressive and we couldn't play out from the back. It was either a long ball to the front three, or sideways to RB/LB and then backwards again. I think we actually defended okay most of the time, except for the two moments when unfortunately they were very clinical.

Not sure that's our worst ever performance under Klopp but it's definitely up there.

Let's just move on to to Brighton and the team can get back to a proper level of performance.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #278: Nov 26, 2020 02:50:02 pm
      Just didn't work last night.
      The starting FBs offered almost nothing going forward, and generally didn't play that well.
      Origi up front had a mare. Salah didn't play well either. Even Mane was quiet.

At the same time Atalanta were fired up and did play well.
      They looked stronger and sharper.

Didn't see any point swinging balls into their box cause they won everything in the air.

2nd half there was more urgency, but even with the 4 subs on, didn't really make much different - Atalanta wanted it more.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #279: Nov 26, 2020 04:37:32 pm
      Though last night was an opportunity missed, should have played a stronger team got the result and played a weakened team latter, instead we now have to field a strong team against Ajax and have to win, Origi has not earned a first team start,  far to weak, thought Sala was poor last night and why pissing about before putting thr subs on, let's hope the rest some got is enough for Saturday
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #280: Nov 26, 2020 05:52:32 pm
      I have tried to pretend I didn’t see last nights game! It was an abject performance, we were really passive, no real press, not much movement or tempo when we had the ball and several players well off the game.

Only positives I could see were another 90 minutes under Rhys Williams belt and no further injuries.

I see Neco Williams has come on fir a bit if criticism/debate. Have to admit I also do not believe he will be good enough at this level. I think his level will end up being championship or perhaps lower end of prem. he’s got a decent cross on him but doesn’t possess the physical traits you need to an outstanding full back in my opinion ie. he’s not blessed with out an out pace, doesn’t seem to be the most mobile of players Given the position.

Hopefully last night is just a blip and we can get back to business against Brigaton at the weekend
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #281: Nov 26, 2020 06:49:18 pm
      Utter sh*te from start to finish is probably how I'd sum up last night.

Salah looked like he'd been rushed back far too early. Jota in current form should of started.

Just felt like Klopp was trying to prove a point with the scheduling, hence the desperate 4 sub switch as we went 2-0 down.

Should of put the group to bed last night then F**k around with team selection in the last two games.

And the 0 shots on target at home was a bit F***ing grim as well.
      rossyred

• 9,099 posts | 1638 
      Reply #282: Nov 26, 2020 07:41:25 pm
      1 point needed against Ajax enough to qualify bit of perspective
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #283: Nov 26, 2020 10:01:34 pm
      The only positive from last night was that there was no more injuries and if we can get 3 points and no injuries against Brighton the changes would have been worth it. 
      ruthcity

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #284: Nov 26, 2020 11:40:53 pm
      1 point needed against Ajax enough to qualify bit of perspective

Don't tell me we cannot win a point out of our remaining matches. If we play like how we did against Villa and yesterday, then it's possible. But, what are the chances of that happening? We're champions for a reason.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #285: Nov 26, 2020 11:58:20 pm
      After Game 3 of the European Cup group stage in the past 4 years, we've battered the opposition, won all the games, and racked up 20 goals. It's great to some extent, but it breeds lethargy and complacency and we've only scored 5 goals against the same opponents in Game 4 over the years. In the return games against Genk and Maribor we did enough to get the job done. Against Red Star and Atalanta, not quite.

I don't get the comments about Williams. He's not a full international at his age for no reason. He wasn't great, but nobody else was either, most of them seasoned professionals who have won multiple titles, and they should be held responsible for the outcome, a lot more than Williams.

The pre match talk was about qualifying, then resting players later on. So it should be pointed out that this group isn't "done" until we have won the group. That was never going to happen in this game, it won't happen until if we win both of the next 2 games. There's not much to say about this one, bar that Jürgen took a gamble with the line up, and it didn't work. Aside from that, we beat Atalanta 5-2 on aggregate should the teams finish level on points, and we are guaranteed European football after Christmas. But there's still a lot of work to be done before this group is won.
      rossyred

• 9,099 posts | 1638 
      Reply #286: Nov 27, 2020 09:55:45 am
      Don't tell me we cannot win a point out of our remaining matches. If we play like how we did against Villa and yesterday, then it's possible. But, what are the chances of that happening? We're champions for a reason.

Never said we couldn't
      ruthcity

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #287: Nov 27, 2020 03:40:53 pm

Not making you out to be what you aren’t. I’m making a point inspired by your post!
      rossyred

• 9,099 posts | 1638 
      Reply #288: Nov 27, 2020 05:32:57 pm
      Not making you out to be what you aren’t. I’m making a point inspired by your post!

My bad misinterpreted your response
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #289: Nov 27, 2020 08:30:22 pm
      The only game I have missed in as long as I can remember. Thank feck it was this one!

Roll on tomorrow to put things back on track
      CurraghRed
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Reply #290: Nov 28, 2020 11:15:53 am
      Though last night was an opportunity missed, should have played a stronger team got the result and played a weakened team latter, instead we now have to field a strong team against Ajax and have to win, Origi has not earned a first team start,  far to weak, thought Sala was poor last night and why pissing about before putting thr subs on, let's hope the rest some got is enough for Saturday

Hoping for a win on Tuesday night but I think even a draw and we will be through.

Quick Reply