0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: Dec 02, 2020 02:26:35 pm

Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 20715 times
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,276 posts | 799 
      Re: Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Nov 28, 2020 07:30:39 pm
      Another good performance from Phillips
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #461: Nov 28, 2020 07:35:17 pm
      Quote from Brian78
      Im not sure i can keep the desire to watch football anymore. I love the club and nothing will change that but the game is gone..

That emotion of the goal being scored is gone. You have to wait for every goal to be confirmed or chalked off. No passion in it. Years ago you score you celebrate wildly, you then find out linesman flag was up , ok no goal well debate it but I felt something in that moment the ball hit the net. Thats what seperates football from other sports.

Now you sit and wait, look at some lines being drawn, wonder why they start the line where they start it or wonder why tbey draw several lines as if its to suit themselves. Blox to it...Winning and losing is all part, a huge part of it, but this carry on is beyond farcial. Killing the game. Certainly killing my desire to watch it

Don't think so. You watched this game. And you'll watch the next game. And the next, and the next.

We play the game based on laws, not emotions. There's 150mn quid on the line, so the decision must be correct. The laws of the game state that the decisions made in this game were correct, so we take them on the chin, look at the table and move on. They'll go our way soon enough.

Poor game, dreadful performance, and it's difficult to argue with the result. Jürgen needs to stop arguing about the schedule. He's long enough in this league to know the score. If you want to be where we want to be, then you expect to play twice a week. I accept it's not an ideal world, but it is what it is. It's only going to get more challenging from here, not less. He's not wrong in what he says, but it isn't going to change. It was like this 40 years ago, it will be like this in 40 years time. Every squad is going to be tested in the next 2-3 months, not just us.  Blaming the broadcasters and other managers won't help his case either. He just has to get on with it.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,986 posts | 222 
      Reply #462: Nov 28, 2020 08:22:23 pm
      we over passed our passes or we underpass specially in the 1st half was doing my head in
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #463: Nov 28, 2020 08:43:37 pm
      Don't think so. You watched this game. And you'll watch the next game. And the next, and the next.

We play the game based on laws, not emotions. There's 150mn quid on the line, so the decision must be correct. The laws of the game state that the decisions made in this game were correct, so we take them on the chin, look at the table and move on. They'll go our way soon enough.

Poor game, dreadful performance, and it's difficult to argue with the result. Jürgen needs to stop arguing about the schedule. He's long enough in this league to know the score. If you want to be where we want to be, then you expect to play twice a week. I accept it's not an ideal world, but it is what it is. It's only going to get more challenging from here, not less. He's not wrong in what he says, but it isn't going to change. It was like this 40 years ago, it will be like this in 40 years time. Every squad is going to be tested in the next 2-3 months, not just us.  Blaming the broadcasters and other managers won't help his case either. He just has to get on with it.

While I agree with you about it being about laws and not emotions, VAR just isn’t consistent. The law states that Pickford should have been sent off for his foul on VVD. He wasn’t.
      Some handballs are given as penalties, the next week they are not.
      ‘Clear and obvious’ is usually ignored. I’m genuinely baffled by some of the decisions this season.

Eventually I think VAR will iron out its problems and be beneficial, but right now it’s just a muddled mess that only seems to encourage players to collapse in a heap when minimal contact has been made.

Personally I would use VAR for throw ins, corners and off sides (as linesmen still can get those key things wrong and it’s never over ruled) and also off the ball incidents and decisions that can quickly be looked at in a break of play (like a penalty given).

But hey ho.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #464: Nov 28, 2020 09:01:21 pm
      It wasn’t great today but considering the injury curse, I didn’t think it was that bad today. On another day the toenails and bit of luck go our way and we win 3-1. Time to dig in and enjoy big players coming back to give us that edge again.

On the VAR front, I don’t care what anyone says, it is sucking the enjoyment and life out of the game no matter what goes for you or against you. Match day goers know and will tell you the same. They need to get their head out of their arses and take note or even copy how it is done in rugby.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #465: Nov 28, 2020 10:40:29 pm
      Got bummed at the end but let’s face it we didn’t deserve the win so no point wingeing like sore losers.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,381 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #466: Nov 28, 2020 11:03:01 pm
      Time to move, concentrate on the things we can control,  such as our own performance
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 562 posts | 128 
      Reply #467: Nov 29, 2020 12:31:32 am

What about all the times Jota was getting his shirt pulled today, where was your wonderful VAR then? where were the clear and obvious errors?
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 1074 
      Reply #468: Nov 29, 2020 01:59:03 am
      Time to move, concentrate on the things we can control,  such as our own performance

I wish I could give this post 2 likes
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 387 
      Reply #469: Nov 29, 2020 02:13:34 am
      We did feel a bit bare bones at times today... can get away just about with one of Williams and Phillips but the two of them is a real stretch...

Same again on Tuesday and Sunday by the sounds of it... no sign of anyone else being fit... gini Henderson Jones are just gonna have to be rolled out again and again...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #470: Nov 29, 2020 05:54:50 am
      We did feel a bit bare bones at times today... can get away just about with one of Williams and Phillips but the two of them is a real stretch...

Same again on Tuesday and Sunday by the sounds of it... no sign of anyone else being fit... gini Henderson Jones are just gonna have to be rolled out again and again...

Gini will be the next to break down I would imagine.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #471: Nov 29, 2020 07:18:31 am

You cheer for Javert at the theatre, don't you?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,896 posts | 4967 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #472: Nov 29, 2020 09:24:51 am
      Im not sure i can keep the desire to watch football anymore. I love the club and nothing will change that but the game is gone..

That emotion of the goal being scored is gone. You have to wait for every goal to be confirmed or chalked off. No passion in it. Years ago you score you celebrate wildly, you then find out linesman flag was up , ok no goal well debate it but I felt something in that moment the ball hit the net. Thats what seperates football from other sports.

Now you sit and wait, look at some lines being drawn, wonder why they start the line where they start it or wonder why tbey draw several lines as if its to suit themselves. Blox to it...Winning and losing is all part, a huge part of it, but this carry on is beyond farcial. Killing the game. Certainly killing my desire to watch it

Exactly how I feel Brian, and exactly how football is dying/dead, killed by those F**k wit politically correct F**k pigs where everything has to be by the book, that’s all fine on paper and in rule books, but we are not robots, we’re human beings  we’re supposed to make mistakes it’s how we learn, it’s fine have technology that can bring a element of fairness to any sporting contest however, it’s how they manipulate said technology to save face that’s pissing me off, and killing the game we all love,

That was no foul yesterday by Robbo, but the F**k pigs made it so because they want to invoke their version of fairness, in real time the action was allowed to continue because the referee seen no issue, it was NOT clear & obvious, no Brighton player accosted the referee complaining of foul play,

Again the incident was slowed down so as to determine that contact was made, by both players incidentally, football is a CONTACT sport protagonist’s will be in contact with each other, both were going for the ball , their boots collided and both just got on with the game,

I was livid yesterday, still am, those off side decisions you can’t  argue with, because they manipulate the lines to suit their own agenda, the benefit of doubt should belong to the attacker, after all that’s the whole point of the game, especially in tight scenarios like that, where var have to draw a line to determine offside, we’re talkin millimetres here, it’s. f***in pathetic,

We’re not the only club that has been fu**ed over by Var, so  surely it has to be looked at again to find a common ground, VAR is here to stay unfortunately, and there is nothing wrong with the technology itself, it’s those tw*ts who are using it, that’s the problem, look at how well it’s used in Rugby, in particular rugby union, they have it spot on , everything is clear, from the immediate footage shown on giant screens & the communications between the on field ref and the Var/Tmo, there is no confusion, everything is explained and the decisions made are the right ones and accepted by the players , coaches & the fans, now can you or anyone else explain to me why it can’t work the same way in our sport ?

Y  N  W  A
      RedKop114
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      Reply #473: Nov 29, 2020 09:25:48 am
      This was a very unfortunate match and nothing else.
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 242 
      Reply #474: Nov 29, 2020 10:10:04 am

Exactly how I feel Brian, and exactly how football is dying/dead, killed by those f**k wit politically correct f**k pigs where everything has to be by the book, that’s all fine on paper and in rule books, but we are not robots, we’re human beings  we’re supposed to make mistakes it’s how we learn, it’s fine have technology that can bring a element of fairness to any sporting contest however, it’s how they manipulate said technology to save face that’s pissing me off, and killing the game we all love,

That was no foul yesterday by Robbo, but the f**k pigs made it so because they want to invoke their version of fairness, in real time the action was allowed to continue because the referee seen no issue, it was NOT clear & obvious, no Brighton player accosted the referee complaining of foul play,

Again the incident was slowed down so as to determine that contact was made, by both players incidentally, football is a CONTACT sport protagonist’s will be in contact with each other, both were going for the ball , their boots collided and both just got on with the game,

I was livid yesterday, still am, those off side decisions you can’t  argue with, because they manipulate the lines to suit their own agenda, the benefit of doubt should belong to the attacker, after all that’s the whole point of the game, especially in tight scenarios like that, where var have to draw a line to determine offside, we’re talkin millimetres here, it’s. f***in pathetic,

We’re not the only club that has been fu**ed over by Var, so  surely it has to be looked at again to find a common ground, VAR is here to stay unfortunately, and there is nothing wrong with the technology itself, it’s those tw*ts who are using it, that’s the problem, look at how well it’s used in Rugby, in particular rugby union, they have it spot on , everything is clear, from the immediate footage shown on giant screens & the communications between the on field ref and the Var/Tmo, there is no confusion, everything is explained and the decisions made are the right ones and accepted by the players , coaches & the fans, now can you or anyone else explain to me why it can’t work the same way in our sport ?

Y  N  W  A

[/quote]

Rugby have TMO spot on, would love to see a similar approach for football. Can just imagine the refs being miked up, probably make them a bit more human on the pitch. Would be interesting to hear the conversation between var & the ref
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts | 108 
      Reply #475: Nov 29, 2020 10:24:44 am

Exactly how I feel Brian, and exactly how football is dying/dead, killed by those f**k wit politically correct f**k pigs where everything has to be by the book, that’s all fine on paper and in rule books, but we are not robots, we’re human beings  we’re supposed to make mistakes it’s how we learn, it’s fine have technology that can bring a element of fairness to any sporting contest however, it’s how they manipulate said technology to save face that’s pissing me off, and killing the game we all love,

That was no foul yesterday by Robbo, but the f**k pigs made it so because they want to invoke their version of fairness, in real time the action was allowed to continue because the referee seen no issue, it was NOT clear & obvious, no Brighton player accosted the referee complaining of foul play,

Y  N  W  A

Good post, in fact an excellent post.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #476: Nov 29, 2020 10:59:10 am
      Quote from UncleBob
      While I agree with you about it being about laws and not emotions, VAR just isn’t consistent. The law states that Pickford should have been sent off for his foul on VVD. He wasn’t.
      Some handballs are given as penalties, the next week they are not.
      ‘Clear and obvious’ is usually ignored. I’m genuinely baffled by some of the decisions this season.

Eventually I think VAR will iron out its problems and be beneficial, but right now it’s just a muddled mess that only seems to encourage players to collapse in a heap when minimal contact has been made.

Personally I would use VAR for throw ins, corners and off sides (as linesmen still can get those key things wrong and it’s never over ruled) and also off the ball incidents and decisions that can quickly be looked at in a break of play (like a penalty given).

But hey ho.

We had a similiar penalty given our way against West Ham. By the same ref. Now if we argue that the Salah one was a penalty, (which it was imo) then if we're consistent, we can't argue against the one given in this game. We've seen those penalties in the "seen them given" category before, and no doubt we'll see them again.

With my red hat on, I hate the 3 decisions go against us here. Without the hat on, then I can't dispute them. Whether you're classified as a "matchgoer" fan or not, then as with everything else in life, we must have justice done on a football pitch.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #477: Nov 29, 2020 11:00:52 am
      This is not the football I used to know. The whole game looks sorry. Never mind the officials.

VAR
      The Knee
      Minute's applause for an Argentinian footballing cheat.
      Football and match times run by TV.

Lost it . Get a grip.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #478: Nov 29, 2020 12:19:55 pm
      We had a similiar penalty given our way against West Ham. By the same ref. Now if we argue that the Salah one was a penalty, (which it was imo) then if we're consistent, we can't argue against the one given in this game. We've seen those penalties in the "seen them given" category before, and no doubt we'll see them again.

With my red hat on, I hate the 3 decisions go against us here. Without the hat on, then I can't dispute them. Whether you're classified as a "matchgoer" fan or not, then as with everything else in life, we must have justice done on a football pitch.

They were both soft penalties but in Salah’s case he had control of the ball, Wellbeck didn't, that has to be a factor in these decisions.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #479: Nov 29, 2020 12:48:51 pm
      They were both soft penalties but in Salah’s case he had control of the ball, Wellbeck didn't, that has to be a factor in these decisions.

Some of you don’t understand football at all. I’ve seen some bad shouts in this thread like ‘welbeck had his back to goal’ or ‘welbeck didn’t have control of the ball properly’. It’s completely irrelevant  :lmao:

Robertson made contact without touching the ball and therefore it’s a penalty. Soft, but it’s how the game has been for 20+ years now. Where have some of you been?

The debate wasn’t about the penalty. I think everybody agrees it was a penalty apart from a few clueless reds in here. The debate was whether VAR should have been introduced or not. Im not being biased because it went against us, but in my opinion the game should have carried on and VAR shouldn’t have been brought in for that specific incident.

The game needs to flow and it’s got to the point now where every decision is slowed down and analysed and you can pick fault with almost anything. It’s a joke.

Also, regarding offsides, in my opinion if you need to draw lines up and study them for a good minute or two then they’re F***ing on side. Another thing that’s become a joke.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #480: Nov 29, 2020 02:45:13 pm
      Some of you don’t understand football at all. I’ve seen some bad shouts in this thread like ‘welbeck had his back to goal’ or ‘welbeck didn’t have control of the ball properly’. It’s completely irrelevant  :lmao:

Robertson made contact without touching the ball and therefore it’s a penalty. Soft, but it’s how the game has been for 20+ years now. Where have some of you been?

The debate wasn’t about the penalty. I think everybody agrees it was a penalty apart from a few clueless reds in here. The debate was whether VAR should have been introduced or not. Im not being biased because it went against us, but in my opinion the game should have carried on and VAR shouldn’t have been brought in for that specific incident.

The game needs to flow and it’s got to the point now where every decision is slowed down and analysed and you can pick fault with almost anything. It’s a joke.

Also, regarding offsides, in my opinion if you need to draw lines up and study them for a good minute or two then they’re f**king on side. Another thing that’s become a joke.

So what should Robbo have done then, wait for the ball to reach Wellbeck and then wave him through, as any contact these days is a penalty? Robbo was clearly trying to clear the ball which he would have done if Wellbeck didn't stick his foot in front of Robbo's.
      It's got to the point now that an attacking player should just stick his foot in front of a defender trying to clear the ball and win a penalty and that is daft.
      The rules need to urgently be reviewed with respect to var and all replays should be done at full speed, slow Mo always distorts and exaggerates the event. Also there has to be an advantage to the attacking team in offsides, it needs to be a clear to the naked eye offside and an obvious error from the Linesman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,090 posts | 83 
      Reply #481: Nov 29, 2020 04:06:58 pm
      So what should Robbo have done then, wait for the ball to reach Wellbeck and then wave him through, as any contact these days is a penalty?

Yes, because that's the concept. They invented football to see goals, not to see preventing goals. Wellbeck can move as he pleases (simplified), it's Robbo that has to make sure he doesn't stop these movements except if he touches the ball or if both wrestle with their upper body.

Robbo was clearly trying to clear the ball which he would have done if Wellbeck didn't stick his foot in front of Robbo's.

Wellbeck was enabled to "stick his foot in front of Robbo's". Robbo can't hit him without touching the ball.

I also don't like VAR because it kills natural joy after a goal. I'd prefer VAR only used if the coach throws a yellow flag (like in the NFL) and if it's a gross mistake like offside with visible space between the striker and the last defender. Every coach would just have one such flag, not matter what.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #482: Nov 29, 2020 04:15:43 pm
      So what should Robbo have done then, wait for the ball to reach Wellbeck and then wave him through, as any contact these days is a penalty? Robbo was clearly trying to clear the ball which he would have done if Wellbeck didn't stick his foot in front of Robbo's.
      It's got to the point now that an attacking player should just stick his foot in front of a defender trying to clear the ball and win a penalty and that is daft.
      The rules need to urgently be reviewed with respect to var and all replays should be done at full speed, slow Mo always distorts and exaggerates the event. Also there has to be an advantage to the attacking team in offsides, it needs to be a clear to the naked eye offside and an obvious error from the Linesman

I don’t disagree with you mate.

Robbo had to clear the ball, but it’s still irrelevant. He didn’t clear it and kicked welbeck instead. It’s a penalty.

You could say the same about a defender attempting to make a tackle but mis timing it and making contact with the attacker instead. It’s still a foul despite the defender trying his best to win the ball.

There is no common sense in the game any more. I 100% agree with anybody who says the penalty was soft but that’s the modern game for you and that’s the current rules. Robertson made contact with welbeck so it’s a penalty. It can’t be argued.

Attacking players do that too. In fact, Suarez was (and still is) a genius at it. Purposely placing his body inbetween the man and the ball and just waiting for the slightest bit of contact to go down and then a penalty is given. It’s stupid, but it’s how it’s been for a long time now.

Fifa and whoever else need to start penalising these players who throw themselves on the floor looking for fouls and throw it out the game. It should only be a foul if the contact has genuinely affected the attacker in some way. But of course that will open debate and people will argue that the speed that they move nowadays they only need the slightest touch to knock them off balance etc

Completely agree with the offside too. For me, salahs goal should stand. That annoyed me more than the penalty. He’s quite clearly level but all this drawing lines VAR sh*t is another thing that’s ruined the game. They should change the rules and have it that if any part of the attackers body is level with the defenders body then they are on side. Not the other way round where any part of the attackers body is further ahead than the defenders then they’re off. It would solve the mess we have instantly in my opinion.

Quick Reply