Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Hendo: How does he compare to past captains?

Read 4983 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Hendo: How does he compare to past captains?
      Dec 02, 2020 07:48:51 pm
      In the leadership stakes how does Hebdo compare to.past captains?

Obviously hes one up on a lot by actually lifting the premier league. But its probably fair to say that 3 or 4 past captains would have done it with this squad, or is that statement in fact disrespectful to his leadership? Did his leadership get this squad over the line, not forgetting of course he lifted ol big ears the year before.

With no crowds its audible how he leads, fantastic to hear. Again had past captains played in empty stadia we would have heard them do similar, or would we?

Just how good a leader is Hendo?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Hendo: How does he compare to past captains?
      Reply #1: Dec 02, 2020 10:31:39 pm
      As one who thinks captaincy in football is overrated I can say I can't think of someone who could represent the club on and off the pitch better
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2: Dec 02, 2020 10:36:50 pm
      As one who thinks captaincy in football is overrated I can say I can't think of someone who could represent the club on and off the pitch better

Well put. I would add that I think we certainly appear to be a different team when he’s not on the pitch or not on his game. That would speak volumes to what he means to the team, armband or no armband.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #3: Dec 02, 2020 10:45:16 pm
      Henderson has as good an attitude as any player I can think of past or present. He isn't among the greats - Gerrard, Hansen, Souness because he doesn't have their level of ability, but he is a match in character.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #4: Dec 02, 2020 10:45:35 pm
      As he enters his 30s, wonder who would replace him when he's done.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5: Dec 02, 2020 10:50:35 pm

Robbo or Trent?
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #6: Dec 02, 2020 11:00:17 pm

Both Gerrard and Hendo are very vocal leaders, so for that reason i see Robbo being better suited for the role. However, by the time Hendo hangs them up in a few years, Robbo will be nearing or already be in his 30s so he would not be a long-term solution. Enter Trent, who at only 22 would be able to take over captaincy long term, but his personality is a contrast to Gerrard and Hendo's, so not sure if that change would have a negative impact.

F**k, all this talk about fiery leaders makes me want to go upstairs and put on my Gerrard jersey.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #7: Dec 02, 2020 11:18:11 pm
      Hendo is doing a good job as captain, obviously improved under Jürgen Klopp, although seemingly unfair to compare him with Gerrard, who was one of Liverpool's great players, this is my view.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #8: Dec 03, 2020 12:39:54 am
      For me he is one of the best captains we have had.
      He is a great leader because he leads by example and also because he has had to fight for the right to even be at the club.
      Even our own fans were on his back in his early days. But he never gave in. Never hid away.

He will never be a Hollywood player. He’s better than that.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9: Dec 03, 2020 06:50:04 am
      I think the key to Henderson's captaincy is the respect he has from the rest of the squad. The old saying a happy dressing room shows on the pitch and it has certainly shown over the past couple of seasons.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #10: Dec 03, 2020 09:03:12 am
      Jordan as a captain is better than all the others before him who fail to win the league. His leadership is exceptional. He lifted the big two :)
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #11: Dec 03, 2020 09:57:58 am
      Jordan as a captain is better than all the others before him who fail to win the league. His leadership is exceptional. He lifted the big two :)

Having Jürgen Klopp behind him, as manager and coach has to be a big plus, still his leadership has been inspirational in the Reds success.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #12: Dec 03, 2020 10:20:54 am
      If I'm correct I think he captained England at Under 23 level so he's obviously been rated for his leadership for quite some time.

He's really grown into the role at Liverpool and I'm sure Gerrard cast a huge shadow when he was here.  The transition went far better than I was expecting.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #13: Dec 03, 2020 04:28:50 pm
      Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'd argue hes a better captian than Stevie. Steve was a much better player for sure, and he was a good leader, dont get me wrong, but Carra could be viewed as important from a leadership standpoint as Gerrard IMO. However, with Jordan there is no doubt he's the vocal leader through and through, and controls our locker room like no other. I think Jordan exemplifies Klopps player mentality as much as any player and Klopp loves him to bits for it. Would anyone have ever guessed that he would win a major POY award a few years ago. His commitment to training and getting better is exemplifies who he is as a leader.

When Hendo is off the pitch the squad seems to lack the attention to detail and discipline that seems to end up costing us. He plays selflessly too. He allows guys to get forward and then falls into a defensive or holding role and let's other get the spotlight. Its not a coincidence that we ended the drought under under Hendos watch. Hes been crucial in ending a few droughts

Top captain for me
      « Last Edit: Dec 03, 2020 08:36:39 pm by Breeding-Reds-In-The-434 »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #14: Dec 03, 2020 10:49:43 pm
      Jordan Henderson will go down as one of our best ever captains by the time he hangs them up, I have to   be honest here, I among others said that he simply wasn’t good enough to be in the side never mind captain, and I have to say that humble pie tastes f***in fantastic,

He has not only surpassed most of our expectations he has been absolutely outstanding as a player and to those who he leads, he isn’t or will never be a Liverpool great in the mold  of a Gerrard, Dalglish a Souness or a Hansen, all those greats had their own traits and all had their own way of captaining those they led, and to be honest comparing them with each other isn’t at all very sporting and is slightly disrespectful,

Jordan Henderson is Jordan Henderson, he has his own way of being skipper, and so far he has been totally brilliant, for a player a certain bacon faced MUtant said would never be good enough, he has proved all his doubters completely  wrong, including some of us,

As a player he has improved tremendously under Jürgen and can play in several positions  with aplomb, he is vocal and can dish out the verbals in equal measure, we have seen how much respect he holds in the professional game receiving plaudits from his peers not only from the EPL but across Europe too, and he is equally brilliant off pitch with his charity work, simply put he is a outstanding human being and a really sound fella, it certainly couldn’t have been easy to evolve as a genuine Red from being a Makem, I’ve ran out of superlatives for Jordan, he’s simply a fantastic Skipper and long may that continue.

In the coming months/seasons I think it’s safe to say we will be seeing more of the Hendo shuffle !

Y  N  W  A

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: Dec 04, 2020 10:55:53 am
      Needs a proper song
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #16: Dec 04, 2020 11:51:26 am
      My partner's son, a 19 YO Utd fan, told me he'd never really rated Hendo (as a player or a skipper), but recently saw a documentary or something where he was miked up for a match.  Said he never stopped talking, encouraging team-mates, telling players when to press, when to stay, etc.

Totally changed his opinion of him and he now thinks he's one of the very key elements to our success.

He's a manc fan though, so he can f### right off with his opinions!!!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #17: Dec 04, 2020 02:05:19 pm
      very underrated. Been a brilliant captain, will go down in history no matter what anyone thinks.

The captain to bring the premiership title home. and in same year be european and world champions.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #18: Dec 04, 2020 03:22:16 pm
      Backed Henderson more times than I care to think, because I could always see what he had in him.

I've said all this stuff before, no need to belabour the point.

Well in Skipper.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #19: Dec 05, 2020 03:26:29 am
      He's the name on the Teamsheet, that if it's missing, you start to get a bit worried. Well I do anyway!
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #20: Dec 05, 2020 01:30:13 pm
      Up there with any skipper we have had.

On and off the pitch he is everything I want in a captain for our great club.

Lifting the European Cup makes him legendary and lifting the league title makes him immortal in my eyes. And more to come hopefully.

Quietly goes about his business. Conducts himself the right way. Like Jürgen, we are in safe hands with Henderson. What is clear is how respected he is within the whole club.

Captain fantastic.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #21: Dec 05, 2020 02:37:07 pm
      Impossible to say for me. Different game, different needs, totally different attitude needed in the various decades.
      If he had played at the same time as Tommy Smith, Emlyn Hughs, Graham Souness, or Alan Hansen, I don’t think he would have replaced any of them, but likewise, what he offers today is invaluable to the side.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #22: Dec 06, 2020 08:41:36 am

Virgil .

Hendo has taken his game up a gear in the last 18 months but I would put forward four captains who edge him .

Don Mc Kinlay.

Rowdy Yeats.

Crazy Horse Emlyn  and of course

Stevie.
      « Last Edit: Dec 06, 2020 08:50:42 am by MIRO »

Quick Reply