Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: FC Midtjylland v Liverpool: CL (Wed 9 Dec 2020 5:55pm)

Read 7420 times
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Re: Pre-Match: FC Midtjylland v Liverpool: CL (Wed 9 Dec 2020 5:55pm)
      Reply #23: Dec 08, 2020 07:28:55 pm
      Would probably give Trent and Keita a start, get some game time into them.
      And give Kelleher another start too.
      Apart from that, would rest all the regulars.
      Great win that last week vs Ajax, free hit for Jürgen tomorrow.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #24: Dec 08, 2020 07:49:23 pm
      There’s talk of Henderson playing, I find this staggering..
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #25: Dec 08, 2020 08:14:01 pm
      Looking at photos of arrival at hotel could see whole raft of first team
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #26: Dec 08, 2020 08:40:00 pm
      Looking at photos of arrival at hotel could see whole raft of first team

That's crazy if true, why risk the regulars on a dead rubber?
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #27: Dec 08, 2020 08:45:11 pm
      That's crazy if true, why risk the regulars on a dead rubber?

Bit odd. Constant talk of the schedule then take them all over there when there’s absolutely no need...
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #28: Dec 08, 2020 08:47:55 pm
      Some of the regulars will have had to go just to make up numbers on the bench right?
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #29: Dec 08, 2020 11:10:25 pm
      Some of the regulars will have had to go just to make up numbers on the bench right?

I should think a couple will play. These games can be valuable stepping stones fir the youngsters but you need a bit of experience alongside them to ensure it is worthwhile. I would expect to see either of Fab or Matip To partner Williams and I’m fairly certain we will play either of Hendo or Gini in midfield because we simply don’t have the bodies available
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #30: Dec 08, 2020 11:14:26 pm
      Are all the youngsters registered to play in the CL 🤷‍♂️

I can’t imagine they are, I’d be surprised if they are all eligible
      Keny
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 179 posts | 26 
      Reply #31: Dec 08, 2020 11:37:00 pm
      Any player from their B list can be added to up to 24 hours before any particular fixture. The B list consists of players who are born on, or after, 1 January 1998 and have been eligible to play for the club concerned for any uninterrupted period of two years since their 15th birthday (players aged 16 may be submitted if they have been registered with the club for the previous two years)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #32: Dec 08, 2020 11:46:59 pm
      I can’t imagine they are, I’d be surprised if they are all eligible

I've read somewhere that any U21 players is eligible, but if that's the case I don't know why they have this list on the UEFA site. This is our registered squad list for 2020.

Goalkeepers: Alisson, Adrian, Kelleher, Jaros

Defenders: Virgil, Gomez, Trent, Robbo, Matip, Tsimikas, Rhys Williams, Neco Williams, Billy Koumetio, Yasser Larouci

Midfield: Fabinho, Gini, Thiago, Milner, Keita, Hendo, Ox, Curtis Jones, Shaqiri, Elijah Dixon-Bonner, Jake Cain, Leighton Clarkson

Forwards: Salah, Jota, Mane, Bobby, Minamino, Origi, Harvey Elliott, Layton Stewart, Liam Millar, Luis Longstaff, Paul Glatzel

The players in bold do not appear to be present in Denmark. Elliott obviously is no longer with the team.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #33: Dec 08, 2020 11:53:21 pm
      I've read somewhere that any U21 players is eligible, but if that's the case I don't know why they have this list on the UEFA site. This is our registered squad list for 2020.

Goalkeepers: Alisson, Adrian, Kelleher, Jaros

Defenders: Virgil, Gomez, Trent, Robbo, Matip, Tsimikas, Rhys Williams, Neco Williams, Billy Koumetio, Yasser Larouci

Midfield: Fabinho, Gini, Thiago, Milner, Keita, Hendo, Ox, Curtis Jones, Shaqiri, Elijah Dixon-Bonner, Jake Cain, Leighton Clarkson

Forwards: Salah, Jota, Mane, Bobby, Minamino, Origi, Harvey Elliott, Layton Stewart, Liam Millar, Luis Longstaff, Paul Glatzel

The players in bold do not appear to be present in Denmark. Elliott obviously is no longer with the team.

I expect:
      Kelleher
      Neco, Rhys, Billy K, Tsimikas
      Hendo, Clarkson, Keita
      Origi, Minamino, Jota
      Subs: Adrian, Trent, Robbo, Matip, Fabinho, Curtis, Mo, Sadio, Bobby (Jake Cain if he's there).
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #34: Dec 09, 2020 04:13:21 am
      Are all the youngsters registered to play in the CL 🤷‍♂️

Here is the current squad for the CL.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/clubs/7889--liverpool/squad/
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #35: Dec 09, 2020 06:34:03 am

That's the list posted two posts above yours.  :)
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #36: Dec 09, 2020 08:09:07 am
      That's the list posted two posts above yours.  :)

Yeah, saw that after I posted it
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #37: Dec 09, 2020 08:52:48 am
      I should think a couple will play. These games can be valuable stepping stones fir the youngsters but you need a bit of experience alongside them to ensure it is worthwhile. I would expect to see either of Fab or Matip To partner Williams and I’m fairly certain we will play either of Hendo or Gini in midfield because we simply don’t have the bodies available

After yesterdays presser, i can see klopp doing exactly this, probably 50/50 experience and youth.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #38: Dec 09, 2020 09:24:32 am
      After yesterdays presser, i can see klopp doing exactly this, probably 50/50 experience and youth.

Why though, wasn't Klopp winging about too many games then he goes and plays half of his over worked players in a meaningless game, it makes him look like a bit of an idiot in my opinion and weakens his arguments about 5 subs etc. If there was a chance of Midtjylland affecting the final group standings then I'd kind of understand it but there isn't.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #39: Dec 09, 2020 09:33:06 am
      Why though, wasn't Klopp winging about too many games then he goes and plays half of his over worked players in a meaningless game, it makes him look like a bit of an idiot in my opinion and weakens his arguments about 5 subs etc. If there was a chance of Midtjylland affecting the final group standings then I'd kind of understand it but there isn't.

Hence the reason I asked if we were allowed to just put out a team of kids in the Champions League.  I wasn't sure it was allowed.

So I'm not sure how much of an extent this is down to 'idiot Klopp' or 'contractual obligations'.

I note Chelsea were already group winners but practically all their first team were in last night's matchday squad.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #40: Dec 09, 2020 10:02:15 am
      Not sure any obligations team list wise can be interfered with if one team has already won the group and the other team are already finishing bottom? Ajax v Atalanta is in their own hands

If no obligations have to be met or are not being broken due to the circumstance then its silly to have first teamers involved. You cant on one hand say players are not protected enough and then on the other hand the first chance you get to rest them, you dont
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41: Dec 09, 2020 10:02:36 am
      Hence the reason I asked if we were allowed to just put out a team of kids in the Champions League.  I wasn't sure it was allowed.

So I'm not sure how much of an extent this is down to 'idiot Klopp' or 'contractual obligations'.

I note Chelsea were already group winners but practically all their first team were in last night's matchday squad.

ah ok, that's a fair point, but how would that contract work, surely a manger is free to chose whoever he wants from his squad, I'm just trying to figure out how that stipulation would be phrased, you need to play the players who have played the most, who are worth the most, who have highest stats. Its an interesting one.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #42: Dec 09, 2020 11:42:10 am

I remember back in the 90s some English teans, including Spurs I think, got in trouble for fielding.a U21 team in the old Intertoto Cup.

Klopp on the official site is quoted as saying Liverpool still wants to win every game it plays, even though we don't need to win this one.

On the other hand, the pics of the pregame walk keep showing everyone from behind so I'm wondering if a few more kids are with the group than they've shown. Cloak and dagger like.  ;D
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #43: Dec 09, 2020 11:54:53 am
      People should remember klopp doesn't have a massive amount of options at the moment
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #44: Dec 09, 2020 01:16:55 pm
      Not really fussed about this one, although at the same time I want us to win it.

Expecting a mixture of kids and regular first teamers, with a run out for TAA and Keita to get them back up to match sharpness.

Other than that, F**k knows.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #45: Dec 09, 2020 01:25:11 pm
      Apparently Bobby being looked at by the trainers, may have picked up an injury in pre-game training.

Quick Reply