Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Leighton Clarkson -> Aberdeen

Read 8373 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Leighton Clarkson -> Aberdeen
      Dec 09, 2020 06:33:55 pm
      Leighton Clarkson joined Liverpool's Academy at a very young age and signed a new long-term contract in July 2020.

A creative midfielder who hails from Clitheroe in Lancashire, he has a good range of passing and has excellent delivery from set-pieces.

Leighton made his U18s debut as an U16 player in 2017-18 and is now a regular for the U18s and U19s.

In 2018-19, Leighton was also part of the victorious FA Youth Cup squad after the dramatic penalty shootout victory over Manchester City in the final. He would then sign his first professional contract with the club on July 22, 2019, before being handed a long-term deal a year later.

Leighton made his senior debut for the club when he came off the bench at Aston Villa in the League Cup in December 2019, and then made his first start in the FA Cup fourth-round replay win over Shrewsbury Town at Anfield.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/academy/player/leighton-clarkson

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2023 03:34:41 pm by racerx34 »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Leighton Clarkson
      Reply #1: Dec 09, 2020 08:21:41 pm
      Huge step up tonight for him and for me he done ok.. Has an eye for a pass.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2: Dec 09, 2020 09:43:50 pm
      Good first half from the young man with some crisp passing and got stuck in physically too. Faded a bit in the second half but a pretty good performance overall.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3: Dec 10, 2020 05:11:53 am
      Agreed, really good first half, faded a little, but that was expected in the 2nd half. Just some of his passes had just too much ooooomph on them, that will come with more game time.
      liverpoolcore
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 104 posts | 10 
      Reply #4: Dec 10, 2020 06:00:56 am
      Agreed, really good first half, faded a little, but that was expected in the 2nd half. Just some of his passes had just too much ooooomph on them, that will come with more game time.
      yep I noticed that as well. First-half display from him was quite good though
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #5: Dec 10, 2020 01:33:14 pm
      He could be proud of himself yesterday
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #6: Dec 10, 2020 04:27:21 pm
      Good first half from the young man with some crisp passing and got stuck in physically too. Faded a bit in the second half but a pretty good performance overall.

Agree. I know last night wasn't a great overall team performance, but how much better is it for a player at this experience level to be playing with most veterans around him, compared to some of those domestic cup lineups we ran out last season where it was basically a U20 team run out all together?

We'll see if Clarkson has another opportunity to feature for the first team this season, but at least he gets his little video in his head of what it's actually like as he continues pursuing his development.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #7: Dec 10, 2020 04:38:05 pm
      A good lad and a good player
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #8: Dec 10, 2020 07:11:21 pm
      From what I saw last night he's bang average.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #9: Dec 10, 2020 07:37:32 pm
      From what I saw last night he's bang average.

Should have gone to specsavers. ;)
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #10: Dec 11, 2020 10:05:37 am

I've set that bar so high that he needs to destroy our opponent singlehandedly at every match to impress me. No, I'm not impressed. We'll talk when he plays like Maradona in 1986 or like Ronaldo or Messi.

These kids need a high bar to succeed. We need to push them hard until they reach the edge. That's how they'll make us fans happy by winning games for us.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #11: Dec 11, 2020 10:28:48 am
      He did well but average, we won't see him near our starting XI. He needs that magic like Curtis have in him.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #12: Dec 11, 2020 10:49:34 am
      I've set that bar so high that he needs to destroy our opponent singlehandedly at every match to impress me. No, I'm not impressed. We'll talk when he plays like Maradona in 1986 or like Ronaldo or Messi.

These kids need a high bar to succeed. We need to push them hard until they reach the edge. That's how they'll make us fans happy by winning games for us.

I'm not sure Maradona '86 prime is enough Ruth.

If this Clarkson kid doesn't score the CL final winner this season he's out. Divock did it so why can't he? It's just not good enough.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #13: Dec 11, 2020 01:01:13 pm
      He did well but average, we won't see him near our starting XI. He needs that magic like Curtis have in him.

To me he looks a different player to Curtis. I can't tell yet if he'll have as good a chance as Curtis does of making it into our first team squad, but he definitely seems to be more of a ball playing number 6 than Curtis, who is more of an attacking midfielder or '8'. Our Brazilian fans might call Clarkson a 'volante', or a 'water carrier'. I don't think he's got as much going forward as Curtis does, but he seems a tidy player to play deep in a midfield three. Clearly his physical attributes aren't going to make him a Fabinho type there, but he could become quite a good deep playmaker. Look forward to watching his development, but the starting XI is a long long way off.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #14: Dec 11, 2020 03:27:08 pm
      I'm not sure Maradona '86 prime is enough Ruth.

If this Clarkson kid doesn't score the CL final winner this season he's out. Divock did it so why can't he? It's just not good enough.

Yeah, I’m now gonna give him a break. Just a kid. I’m sure his family would be proud of him. Let’s hope he works hard and makes it in the game. I wish him all the best. A Liverpool player after all. If we don’t back him who will? I’d be guilty of making premature judgements and that’s terrible.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15: Dec 11, 2020 06:06:21 pm
      Yeah, I’m now gonna give him a break. Just a kid. I’m sure his family would be proud of him. Let’s hope he works hard and makes it in the game. I wish him all the best. A Liverpool player after all. If we don’t back him who will? I’d be guilty of making premature judgements and that’s terrible.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #16: Dec 12, 2020 12:58:25 am
      He over hit a lot of passes, he misplaced a couple of passes in very dangerous areas, but Klopp said in the presser that he didn't show in that particular game half of what he can do. Granted, he said that about Naby a few months after he signed, but Jesus this guy is barely out of nappies.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #17: Dec 12, 2020 10:07:49 am
      To me he looks a different player to Curtis. I can't tell yet if he'll have as good a chance as Curtis does of making it into our first team squad, but he definitely seems to be more of a ball playing number 6 than Curtis, who is more of an attacking midfielder or '8'. Our Brazilian fans might call Clarkson a 'volante', or a 'water carrier'. I don't think he's got as much going forward as Curtis does, but he seems a tidy player to play deep in a midfield three. Clearly his physical attributes aren't going to make him a Fabinho type there, but he could become quite a good deep playmaker. Look forward to watching his development, but the starting XI is a long long way off.

Yes, I agree that he is a different type of player but he does not have that flair and spark. Kante and Scholes were never that big but have the determination. I hope that he develops into a hell of a player.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #18: Aug 17, 2021 12:13:57 am
      Season-long loan to Blackburn Rovers. Hopefully it works out as well for him as it seems to have for Harvey Elliott.

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #19: Aug 17, 2021 05:16:43 am
      Season-long loan to Blackburn Rovers. Hopefully it works out as well for him as it seems to have for Harvey Elliott.
      I'm excited to see how he does.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #20: Aug 17, 2021 10:41:31 am

He's at a stage where he needs regular playing time, so it should be a good move for him. He's also from the area which will help him.
      We can only hope they'll take good care of him, just as they did with Harvey.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Re: Leighton Clarkson (on loan at Blackburn)
      Reply #21: Dec 18, 2021 05:30:32 pm
      He doesn't seem to be getting a lot of opportunities at Blackburn, which is a shame because I really rate the lad, and was hoping for a repeat of what they did with Harvey...
      rossyred

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Re: Leighton Clarkson (on loan at Blackburn)
      Reply #22: Dec 18, 2021 05:49:06 pm
      He doesn't seem to be getting a lot of opportunities at Blackburn, which is a shame because I really rate the lad, and was hoping for a repeat of what they did with Harvey...

Lot of my mates Rovers fans and lot of them say very lightweight not suited at all whereas they said Harvey was just a different animal all together

Quick Reply