Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Yves Bissouma (Brighton)

Read 13162 times
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Re: Yves Bissouma (Brighton)
      Reply #23: May 10, 2021 02:59:58 pm

He ain’t that bad! Other than Keita, I trust Klopp’s recruitment 100%

Our defence and attack signings have been superb, and Edwards has to take credit for that, assuming he does ID the players. It's really a bit cloudy as to who is primarily responsible for the targets. Let's go along with the Edwards theory, because I don't think there's any way in the world that Klopp wanted Kostas and Ben Davies. Edwards just bought them for him (and rightly so, we needed a backup LB, it's just Klopp prefers to use Milner).

It's midfield where it gets patchy. Edwards seems to buy players and then Klopp has to work out what to do with them. I'm guessing most of our midfield signings were what Juergen might call "a nice headache to have" in terms of how to fit them in. But we're not using Thiago properly IMO, he should be a deep lying playmaker like he was at Bayern. Gini got converted from quite a naturally attacking player into what Keita's agent provocatively called "a scavenger". Ox is never a centre mid in a million years and he doesn't seem to have a position in our system that suits him so should just be told to find another club; he'd be fine on the right side of a 4-4-2 for the likes of Southampton. Keita probably made sense at the time but has been unlucky, but now also needs moving on. That only leaves Fabinho that made sense and still kind of makes sense, although I'd prefer Thiago in his position if possible, he runs games from there, he'd be a more positive selection. Oh and if Edwards brought Milner in then that's a massive tick; what a positive presence Millie's been for us, and for £0. Future manager?

We don't need this Bissouma lad and he'd cost a mint when you can buy this type of player for peanuts if you've got decent scouts, all these players do is sit in front of the back 4 and kick people that come near them. If he's as good at it as Mascherano, who was genuine world class at it, then fair enough, £40m, but if he isn't then there'll be someone just as good as Bissouma out there playing for Basel or someone that we could pick up for 1/10th of the price. Sevilla could buy an entire team for £40m and still finish top 4.

If I were Klopp I'd go to Edwards and say listen fella, hats off to you for the defensive and attacking signings, keep up the great work, but I want more say in the midfield signings because you're not quite cutting the mustard.

It might be cos midfielder is more complex role than defending or attacking, where you're just keeping the ball out of the net, or sticking it in. Midfielders have to do both jobs, and run the game. Not sure a stats-based approach to recruitment works quite so well for midfielders. It's almost impossible to produce a stat that reflects a player's ability to be in the right position of the field at the right time and do the right thing. You need a manager's/coach's eye for that.

It's to Klopp's eternal credit that he's taken what is to a certain extent squarish pegs in roundish holes and somehow got 2 near-100 point seasons out of these midfielders. Magician. Helps when you've got the extraordinary captaincy of Jordan Henderson of course, but he's only the man and captain he is because Klopp inspired him to be, I'm sure of that. Not forgetting Millie, who I really hope will go on to be manager for us one day, if he can prove himself on the managerial ladder first.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #24: May 10, 2021 06:18:38 pm
      Our defence and attack signings have been superb, and Edwards has to take credit for that, assuming he does ID the players. It's really a bit cloudy as to who is primarily responsible for the targets. Let's go along with the Edwards theory, because I don't think there's any way in the world that Klopp wanted Kostas and Ben Davies. Edwards just bought them for him (and rightly so, we needed a backup LB, it's just Klopp prefers to use Milner).

It's midfield where it gets patchy. Edwards seems to buy players and then Klopp has to work out what to do with them. I'm guessing most of our midfield signings were what Juergen might call "a nice headache to have" in terms of how to fit them in. But we're not using Thiago properly IMO, he should be a deep lying playmaker like he was at Bayern. Gini got converted from quite a naturally attacking player into what Keita's agent provocatively called "a scavenger". Ox is never a centre mid in a million years and he doesn't seem to have a position in our system that suits him so should just be told to find another club; he'd be fine on the right side of a 4-4-2 for the likes of Southampton. Keita probably made sense at the time but has been unlucky, but now also needs moving on. That only leaves Fabinho that made sense and still kind of makes sense, although I'd prefer Thiago in his position if possible, he runs games from there, he'd be a more positive selection. Oh and if Edwards brought Milner in then that's a massive tick; what a positive presence Millie's been for us, and for £0. Future manager?

We don't need this Bissouma lad and he'd cost a mint when you can buy this type of player for peanuts if you've got decent scouts, all these players do is sit in front of the back 4 and kick people that come near them. If he's as good at it as Mascherano, who was genuine world class at it, then fair enough, £40m, but if he isn't then there'll be someone just as good as Bissouma out there playing for Basel or someone that we could pick up for 1/10th of the price. Sevilla could buy an entire team for £40m and still finish top 4.

If I were Klopp I'd go to Edwards and say listen fella, hats off to you for the defensive and attacking signings, keep up the great work, but I want more say in the midfield signings because you're not quite cutting the mustard.

It might be cos midfielder is more complex role than defending or attacking, where you're just keeping the ball out of the net, or sticking it in. Midfielders have to do both jobs, and run the game. Not sure a stats-based approach to recruitment works quite so well for midfielders. It's almost impossible to produce a stat that reflects a player's ability to be in the right position of the field at the right time and do the right thing. You need a manager's/coach's eye for that.

It's to Klopp's eternal credit that he's taken what is to a certain extent squarish pegs in roundish holes and somehow got 2 near-100 point seasons out of these midfielders. Magician. Helps when you've got the extraordinary captaincy of Jordan Henderson of course, but he's only the man and captain he is because Klopp inspired him to be, I'm sure of that. Not forgetting Millie, who I really hope will go on to be manager for us one day, if he can prove himself on the managerial ladder first.

Klopp has said time and time again, that it is a joint effort.

Edwards is head of a large analytics team that identifies players that Klopp needs for each position.
      Klopp then makes the final decision.

All your post has done is confirm that you don't understand Klopp's system.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #25: May 15, 2021 09:26:40 am

Mate, put your console down, switch off your play station and switch on those tiny myriads of brain matter that are lurking somewhere deep inside your skull, firstly, our current skipper is 10 times better than our former skipper, then you want Thiago to play in Fabinho’s position, Yves Bissouma should never play in a Klopp side because we can get cheaper, Klopp has no f***in idea who or what is coming through the door at any given time, Gini is a scavenger, Milner should be our next manager so long as he gets some experience first, perhaps at Accrington Stanley( Who are they ?) and Oxlade Chamberlain is better suited back at St Mary’s playing right side of midfield when he will tear the EPL up,

Honestly mate, either stop smoking the dog sh*t, engage what brain you have before operating that hole in yer face or both, because quite honestly, and I’m being kind here, my 5 year old Grandson comes out with better than what you do, Godspeed fella, keep taking the happy smarties, you’re special !

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #26: May 15, 2021 11:40:47 pm
      Balls to this lad

Tielemans

Gone up a few quid, but be worth it
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #27: May 15, 2021 11:47:52 pm
      Balls to this lad

Tielemans

Gone up a few quid, but be worth it

Bissouma is a good player will go to a top club not sure Tielemans is what we need
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #28: May 16, 2021 12:05:50 am
      Bissouma is a good player will go to a top club not sure Tielemans is what we need

Not sure Bissouma is either
      rossyred

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #29: May 16, 2021 12:07:26 am

Never said he was.Said he was a good player who would go to a top side
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #30: Aug 21, 2021 06:14:13 pm
      Watching the Brighton v Watford game and he has been superb excellent tackling passing the works ,very good pace as well strong lad aswell.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #31: Aug 21, 2021 08:48:16 pm
      Watching the Brighton v Watford game and he has been superb excellent tackling passing the works ,very good pace as well strong lad aswell.
      Could definitely envisage Bissouma working well in Klopp's team in the No.8 role. Perhaps not in the first XI outright but absolutely someone who'd be in the regular rotation like Keita and Ox have been in the last couple of years.

In terms of timing, I doubt the club are very interested in signing another midfielder this summer, as number-wise the midfield is currently well stocked:

Fabinho
                  Milner

Henderson    Thiago
            Ox            Keita
         Elliott           Jones

... However, Milner will be 36 by next summer and may have started to wane a bit, and Ox and Keita - both of whom are very injury prone, will both only have 12 months on their deals next year. With that in mind it seems almost inevitable that there will be some turnover in those midfield roles, especially if Ox and/or Keita have another disappointing injury riddled season.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #32: Aug 23, 2021 11:48:39 pm
      I really like Bassouma, he is Momo Sissoko with skill! Would fit Klopp's system like a glove imho. We are still short in midfield for me, Harvey did great at the weekend but with him and Keita (2 relatively lightweight players) i though Burnley were able to get at us in the first half. I know Klopp likes to change things up at times but in the big games we know he likes hard working, aggressive middies who do the simple things very well and can dominate physically through the press, and competing for 2nd balls especially.

Would love to see this lad in a red shirt.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #33: Aug 24, 2021 12:37:45 am
      I really like Bassouma, he is Momo Sissoko with skill! Would fit Klopp's system like a glove imho. We are still short in midfield for me, Harvey did great at the weekend but with him and Keita (2 relatively lightweight players) i though Burnley were able to get at us in the first half. I know Klopp likes to change things up at times but in the big games we know he likes hard working, aggressive middies who do the simple things very well and can dominate physically through the press, and competing for 2nd balls especially.

Would love to see this lad in a red shirt.
      I agree. The hunger, energy, and relentlessness of how Bissouma chases down opponents to win tackles would fit perfectly in Klopp's system.

Liverpool were 1st in the league for pressing actions in the attacking 3rd last season, about 20-25% higher than any other team in the league.

Meanwhile, Bissouma finished 2nd in the league in tackles won last season - only Hojberg finished ahead of him but he also played 4 games more than Bissouma.

As you mention a few of our midfielders are a little bit lightweight or more inclined towards attacking than defending (eg. Keita, Ox, Elliott, Thiago), so adding Bissouma to the mix would restore a bit of balance and give Klopp another combative midfield option to play in the No.6 spot or Wijnaldum's "facilitator" role. Presumably it would also allow Henderson to play further forward more often which would be a nice bonus as he's better in a box-to-box role than as a holding midfielder imo.

Fabinho
                  Bissouma
                    Milner

Henderson   Thiago
               Ox             Keita
             Elliott          Jones

That might be a little bit crowded for this season, but there are a few things to keep in mind.

Firsly, Milner is going on 36 with an expiring contract, and at some point his role in the squad is going to diminish to a point where he's not cost-effective to keep on the payroll.

Secondly, I don't envisage that the club will keep both Ox and Keita beyond next summer. One (or both) of them will likely be moved on if they don't have a healthy and productive season this year. Their contracts both expire in 2 years time so this is something of a make-or-break season for them both after a few injury riddled stop-start seasons.

Lastly, having a slightly over-stocked midfield for one season wouldn't be that big of an issue considering that the schedule is a bit more hectic this season and that Bissouma also hasn't had a full preseason with Klopp and would need time to be bedded into the system, team, and city. If signed it probably wouldn't be until at least January that he featured prominently in the squad, at which point you might be looking to move Ox for example if he wants more game time.

« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2021 03:29:37 am by Richard88 »
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #34: Aug 24, 2021 01:32:26 pm
      Him or Ndidi would fit perfectly in our midfield, i would go for Yves as he is surely cheaper than Ndidi.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #35: Aug 25, 2021 05:15:03 pm
      I think he looks a really good DM, but with Hendo and Fab both already very good in that position for us he's not really an essential buy for us.
      I'd like him just to keep him out of the hands of our rivals (Man U and Arsenal should be desperate to get him, but so far don't seem to have realised it), but obviously you can't buy players on that basis.

I guess we could say Hendo won't play DM any more, only right midfield, so it would be just Bissouma and Fab for DM. But even then one of them would end up being back up, and I think they're both too good to be back ups. If we sold Keita and/or Ox, then maybe things would change, cos Bissouma probably could play a Gini type role, so would have 2 chances to get in the first team. Might be worth it then, but as it stands I think we have enough midfielders.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #36: Aug 27, 2021 02:00:46 pm
      The rumour resurfaced today.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #37: Aug 27, 2021 03:46:42 pm
      The rumour resurfaced thanks to the Express who aren't exactly the picture of credibility. It was also promptly shot down by Andy Naylor, The Athletic’s Brighton correspondent:

https://twitter.com/AndyNaylorBHAFC/status/1431185537151508484?s=20
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #38: Aug 27, 2021 04:02:28 pm
      I've not paid attention to any speculation, think it's clear what our stance is. But that said, from what I've seen of Bissouma, if we were to target another midfielder I'd want it to be him. His work rate and pressing is incredible and is just what Klopp wants in his team, strong in the tackle. Sure he doesn't contribute with goals or assists but the other attributes of his game make up for that.

The ability to have him come in for Fab would be a massive bonus, as would having the option of him playing alongside Fab and giving the likes of Thiago, Hendo or whoever more freedom to really push forward more.

Cracking player but I would be amazed if we sign him or anyone else for that matter.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #39: Aug 28, 2021 05:23:29 am
      FSG have everyone convinced we dont need any new players. Dont expand then we dont improve
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #40: Aug 28, 2021 05:31:40 am
      FSG have everyone convinced we dont need any new players. Dont expand then we dont improve
      We don't "need" new players. It would be nice, but it's not a need.

This team had back to back 97 and 99 point seasons, and were on pace for that again before an unprecedented series of CB injuries last year. This is the same team sans only Wijnaldum, but plus 3 really, really good players down the spine in Konate, Thiago, and Jota; Tsimikas at LB; along with Jones, Elliott, and Neco being a year more experienced as well.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #41: Aug 28, 2021 08:12:38 am
      We don't "need" new players. It would be nice, but it's not a need.

This team had back to back 97 and 99 point seasons, and were on pace for that again before an unprecedented series of CB injuries last year. This is the same team sans only Wijnaldum, but plus 3 really, really good players down the spine in Konate, Thiago, and Jota; Tsimikas at LB; along with Jones, Elliott, and Neco being a year more experienced as well.

Shh, whisper it quietly to the doubters, but we won the league by 25 points with this side minus the 4 you mentioned, 25 points mind, that’s equivalent to 8 wins and a draw, add the fact that we will have Virgil, Joel, & Joe back, Fabinho & Hendo too in their favoured positions, oh and then we can add Thiago, Jota & Kostas, who will be more settled/established, Jones, Neco & Minamino more experienced, oh and not forgetting Ibra Konate & the sensation that is wee Harvey Elliot bolstering our ranks,

I’m no mathematician by any means but the first 5 mentioned above will be like have new signings alone, ok we’re only two match days in but just look at the confidence we have already, we have our swagger back, others may spend their Millions on individuals who may or may not enhance their chances, but fitting all the pieces of their jigsaws together will be a difficult challenge, not to mention all of the massaging of ego’s, for example…who is the biggest fish at OT now, Pogba, Bruno, or old Ronnie Ronaldo, are Ole’s balls bigger than any of their’s ?

Similar to their noisy neighbours, can Pep really fit Jack the lad, Phil the Fod, Kev de B, & Jesus on the same song sheet, & I’m not so sure that wee Cnut Sterling will be too enamoured having to fight for a seat in their choir either, will his toys be slung all over the emptihad ?

Then we have the Chavs, who in my opinion pose the biggest threat, but can Tomas really keep all those ego’s from exploding, sitting on a bench numbs your arse if you are there along enough and there were plenty of numb arses at the bridge even before this summer window, I might be wrong but Tuchel doesn’t come across as a soft arse himself, when you have managed Bayern Munchen & PSG there were plenty of ego’s there to contend with, so he won’t be bothered who arse is getting numb on the Stamford bridge benches, player’s of that quality want to play, want to showcase their talents, it’s all well and good having a plethora of talent that the Chavs have but can Tuchel keep them all happy?

We simply cannot compete financially with them but what we most certainly can do is compete with them on the pitch and at the end of the day that’s what it’s all about, 11 V 11 really really good players wanting to win the beautiful game, but it’s how you get those 11 players playing that decides who comes out on top, and I think we are in a better position than most to do just that.

Y  N  W  A

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #42: Sep 26, 2021 05:24:45 pm
      Apparently we have an agreement in place with Brighton to sign Bissouma in January.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #43: Sep 26, 2021 10:22:56 pm
      Apparently we have an agreement in place with Brighton to sign Bissouma in January.

I'd take this with a grain of salt. The rumour comes from a dodgy Spanish publication, and the timing doesn't make much sense.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #44: Sep 26, 2021 10:46:46 pm
      I'd take this with a grain of salt. The rumour comes from a dodgy Spanish publication, and the timing doesn't make much sense.

My heart had a momentary flutter before I googled the source  :lmao:
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #45: Oct 07, 2021 03:51:08 pm
      I think we can scratch this off our transfer list:

https://twitter.com/thejohnsimpson/status/1445834951442718722

Rumours are its Bissouma

Quick Reply