Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Pre-Match: Newcastle v Liverpool EPL (Wed 30th Dec 2020 8:00pm)

Read 8356 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,254 posts | 2800 
      Re: Pre-Match: Newcastle v Liverpool EPL (Wed 30th Dec 2020 8:00pm)
      Reply #23: Dec 29, 2020 11:33:33 am
      Thiago coming back would be handy so we can rotate that midfield three a bit more, felt the minutes caught up with the three that played on Sunday. Ox will help in this regard too and I can see him starting tomorrow.

Can see Minamino coming in for one of the front three (should have come on against West Brom IMO) and it's a toss up for whoever partners Fab.

The next two will be very tricky games, just hope we can find some of the grit from last season and dig out six points.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #24: Dec 29, 2020 12:31:49 pm
      Just win the F***ing thing. Read last week before the WBA game that up until that point of the season Newcastle were the side with lowest possession and deepest setup in the league. Could be a carbon copy of the 6-4-0 formation we saw the other day.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #25: Dec 29, 2020 01:01:59 pm
      I want to see a positive response, and I fully expect one. Intensity for the full 90 mins please. 3-0 liverpool.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #26: Dec 29, 2020 01:21:26 pm
      Thiago coming back would be handy so we can rotate that midfield three a bit more, felt the minutes caught up with the three that played on Sunday. Ox will help in this regard too and I can see him starting tomorrow.

Can see Minamino coming in for one of the front three (should have come on against West Brom IMO) and it's a toss up for whoever partners Fab.

The next two will be very tricky games, just hope we can find some of the grit from last season and dig out six points.

Bloody hell if Newcastle is a tricky game then we really have issues. I fancy us to beat the barcodes without too much trouble
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,254 posts | 2800 
      Reply #27: Dec 29, 2020 01:49:08 pm
      Bloody hell if Newcastle is a tricky game then we really have issues. I fancy us to beat the barcodes without too much trouble

Pretty sure a lot of people were saying that before Fulham, Brighton and WBA and we didn't win a single one of them!

They're all tricky for us right now. No shame in that either, points being dropped by everyone at the moment. Just have to become the side that clicks and puts a run together.
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #28: Dec 29, 2020 01:53:30 pm
      Pretty sure a lot of people were saying that before Fulham, Brighton and WBA and we didn't win a single one of them!

They're all tricky for us right now. No shame in that either, points being dropped by everyone at the moment. Just have to become the side that clicks and puts a run together.

Win against Newcastle and we will have gotten 10 out of the last 12 possible points. No one would be against that over any 4 game period.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #29: Dec 29, 2020 01:56:31 pm
      I think we should beat Newcastle. But they probably have a better first team than wba, Fulham and Brighton. So we need to take our chances and maybe change things around earlier if things are not going to plan.

Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #30: Dec 29, 2020 02:14:18 pm
      Theory !! Our players "getting up" for teams like Newcastle.Then Newcastle etc "getting up" for Liverpool.

Last year there was never a doubt we got up for all comers.This season seems like a "bit" of a problem

Even personally as a keen amateur back in the day.I'm sure we used to get "stuffed" occasionally by teams sitting at the bottom of our league.

Them low tabled teams often (and do) turn it on against the top tabled teams.

Answer ?? Drop the "shoe ins" as the kick up the arse that's needed.
      ruthcity

• 6,917 posts | 1476 
      Reply #31: Dec 29, 2020 03:22:33 pm
      Win against Newcastle and we will have gotten 10 out of the last 12 possible points. No one would be against that over any 4 game period.

I humbly disagree... while Iā€™m not against this outcome, the perfectionists on our boards would be. Itā€™s just that they have yet to surface... ;D
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #32: Dec 29, 2020 03:27:44 pm
      On Hendo/Williams/Nat at CB, I'd consider Nat.

Williams could be a prospect, and is young, but imho doesn't really have much pace and doesn't dominate in the air.
      WBA had a chance in the 2nd half before they scored where they just played a long ball over the top and their forward from being yards behind, passed Williams and got a shot away that Ali saved well.
      He's comfortable on the ball, but most of the time he's under no pressure with opposition dropping off.
      Against Spuds he was exposed a few times, they didn't capitalise [they had the better chances in the game] - and think for Son's goal he played him onside when Fab was playing him off.

In sayin that JĆ¼rgen obviously doesn't rate Nat, with Williams chosen ahead of him. Have only really seen Nat in the game he started, where he did well, and dominated in the air. Against Newcastle, might need his height/strength. In saying that, JĆ¼rgen must see a weakness we haven't really seen much of yet.

Wouldn't play Hendo at CB right now, miss him too much in the middle. Maybe with Thiago/Keita back, though even then I still wouldn't.
      But would Hendo be a better option at CB than Nat/Williams - quite possibly, which doesn't say a lot for the 2 lads unfortunately.

Hopefully we sign a CB in Jan. I like Matip a lot, think he's a really good CB for us, but he's so injury prone.
      Even if we don't sign a 'top' CB, if we got someone in to be a 3rd/4th choice ahead of Nat/Williams, particularly someone who's good in the air, that could be enough.
      Otherwise, reckon we'll continue to leak points from corners/free kicks.
      ruthcity

• 6,917 posts | 1476 
      Reply #33: Dec 29, 2020 03:35:12 pm

And like road cycling, stay at the front of the peloton. Itā€™s always nice to breakaway early. But no problem since weā€™re out in front.

We just need to beware of our competitors who MAY be on ā€œboostersā€, although thatā€™s out of our control.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #34: Dec 29, 2020 03:52:57 pm
      Has he yet participated in any full (contact) training?

If Iā€™m not mistaken yes he has. I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see him get a few minutes this game.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #35: Dec 29, 2020 04:12:08 pm
      I expect a few changes with Curtis going out for either Ox or Shaq (Shaq being my preference) and Philips coming in for Matip at CB, also might see JĆ¼rgen benching either Bobby or Mane for Minamino with a change on 65 minutes if not going to plan.I believe there will be a response from the weekend as JĆ¼rgen like all of us wasn't happy with the second half against WBA,Newcastle will play a lot like WBA with counter attacks and set pieces there only chance of scoring with ten men defending their goal,if we score in first 15 minutes then i can see a 4-0 with a Salah hat-trick and a goal from Bobby if not then 2-0.No more points dropped against the dross/negative teams near the bottom please. COYR lets smash em.
      rossyred

• 9,229 posts | 1650 
      Reply #36: Dec 29, 2020 04:13:13 pm
      If Iā€™m not mistaken yes he has. I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see him get a few minutes this game.

Might come a bit too soon think Southampton more likely and then play against Villa in Cup
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #37: Dec 29, 2020 04:13:27 pm

Klopp provided an update recently on him:

"Thiago has trained in part with the team so far, but on Friday, he trained the full session," he told reporters. "But it was a reduced session so we couldn't do that [full session].

"He just has to be part of team training [regularly]. It's not about being part of team training one day and then you can play football in the Premier League.

"So it looks quite promising at the moment but I cannot say more about it, to be honest. I don't know. I think the plan was that if he trains [on Monday] completely normally then we will see.ā€

Kloppā€™s comments mean Thiago is unlikely to feature in Wednesdayā€™s Premier League trip to Newcastle, but could return for the game at Southampton on Monday or the FA Cup tie with Aston Villa on January 8.

https://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en-us/news/klopp-thiago-update-midfielder-liverpool-return/stnvp7riw8oe14qwyfhpw2yfe

At least there's hope.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #38: Dec 29, 2020 04:18:46 pm
      I think JĆ¼rgen is likely to play Thiago against Villa in the cup as i don't think he risk him for the league until he gets up to speed match fitness wise unless we are 3-4 goals up against Newcastle or Southampton and brings him off the subs bench.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,898 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #39: Dec 29, 2020 04:26:47 pm
      Almost wondering if Phillips is about to leave. I know it seems counterintuitive given our injuries but he was apparently about to be sold to a Championship side and it fell through. Seems like he's behind Williams now and we've even seen Henderson play there ahead of him. I say this only if we are bringing a front line player in

JĆ¼rgen really needs to have a change of heart, there really is no choice now, as like you say Phillips is as good as gone we need to spend some money this window, surely letting Phillips leave is tantamount to madness unless there is something or someone imminent we or the media donā€™t know about,

Weā€™re already down to the bare bones we simply cannot afford to further weaken that position, even if another comes in weā€™re still under strength, I would imagine though that our recruiting department will have been hard at work since Joe got crocked searching for a suitable candidate that fits perfectly,

We all know JĆ¼rgen prefers recruiting in the summer months but the latest Matip setback could force his hand and set in motion the possibility of seeing a new face in January, IMO  itā€™s pivotal we get someone in, if we want to hold onto our title we cannot burden the young lads with the inevitable pressure trying to defend our crown and expect them to be error free, also, I believe JĆ¼rgen would look to replace Matip this summer and find someone more reliable, so for me it would make sense to find that player now if at all possible, names like  Varane, Koulibally, immediately spring to mind, but I think JĆ¼rgen would prefer someone younger for longevity and perhaps versatility, Upamenacho (think thatā€™s his name) maybe ?

The situation up until Sunday has been manageable albeit somewhat risky, but now itā€™s absolutely crucial we bring someone in, and I think we will, and as soon as fookin possible too ?

Y  N  W  A
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,898 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #40: Dec 29, 2020 04:37:30 pm
      Theory !! Our players "getting up" for teams like Newcastle.Then Newcastle etc "getting up" for Liverpool.

Last year there was never a doubt we got up for all comers.This season seems like a "bit" of a problem

Even personally as a keen amateur back in the day.I'm sure we used to get "stuffed" occasionally by teams sitting at the bottom of our league.

Them low tabled teams often (and do) turn it on against the top tabled teams.

Answer ?? Drop the "shoe ins" as the kick up the arse that's needed.

Go on then, post a team without the ā€˜shoe insā€™ and see if they can get up and beat the low tabled Newcastle,  donā€™t forget no shoe inā€™s means, no Alisson, Trent, Fabinho, Robbo, Hendo, Gini, Mane, Salah, or Bobby !

Thisā€™ll be interesting?
      liverpoolcore
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 104 posts | 10 
      Reply #41: Dec 29, 2020 04:54:46 pm
      I think JĆ¼rgen is likely to play Thiago against Villa in the cup as i don't think he risk him for the league until he gets up to speed match fitness wise unless we are 3-4 goals up against Newcastle or Southampton and brings him off the subs bench.
      Yeah, he could bring him on if we are leading comfortably similar to Chambo's return
      liverpoolcore
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 104 posts | 10 
      Reply #42: Dec 29, 2020 04:55:15 pm
      I want to see a positive response, and I fully expect one. Intensity for the full 90 mins please. 3-0 liverpool.
      I have the same prediction, all 3 up front to score imo
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 1077 
      Reply #43: Dec 29, 2020 04:56:31 pm
      This may be a game.for that 4-2-3-1 attack and play Shaq.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #44: Dec 29, 2020 04:57:48 pm
      Just batter them into submission Redmen.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,184 posts | 912 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #45: Dec 29, 2020 05:29:39 pm
      Need a high tempo start and keep the pressure on

Quick Reply