Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Newcastle?

Alisson Becker
      11 (17.2%)
       Fabinho
      11 (17.2%)
      Nat Phillips
      1 (1.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      13 (20.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (4.7%)
      James Milner
      5 (7.8%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (3.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.6%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      15 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: Jan 03, 2021 09:52:10 pm

Newcastle United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 21762 times
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Re: Newcastle United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #598: Dec 30, 2020 10:57:46 pm
      Son would struggle against low block teams like Mane is now. Spurs sit back, soak up pressure then send it on to him to run in behind. No team leaves that space for us.

This is true, but Son can shoot from distance and that forces defenders to stay on him. When you get too close and give him an edge he zips past you and either forces a save, scores, or affectively crosses more often than not. Mane hasn't been as affective in that regard this season. Less chances and poor quality in front of goal. Gotta improve for more than one or two games at a time.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #599: Dec 30, 2020 10:58:20 pm
      Also leaves Utd, City and Everton with the same possibility, unless we start picking up more points against the bottom feeder clubs and away from home we will not win the league.

I know we are top but that is two awful results on the bounce now, far to many players off form.

Nothing wrong with your argument at all pal.

But dont underestimate the effect of so many changes to injury being forced on us, the drain becoming champions has, yes even for the best,. Dont underestimate how teams " up it " v the champs. Something new to most of our players, and from what I can gather, our support.

Few teams win leagues as easy as we did, fewer win it handy the next year, if they manage it at all. Kennys team in 86 were way off, for example, won 11 of the last 12. We need to be calm trust our players and manager. Yes we can raise doubts and question things but we need to do  it in a xalm fashion...some lose there marbles at every little thing
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #600: Dec 30, 2020 11:07:55 pm
      With all of Klopps attention earlier or protecting players, you would think he would make a sub before the 90th minute. Played Jota in a throw away game, basically used no subs in the Tottenham game, and has been stingy the last 2 games on subs when we are crying out for creativity. We have played a sh*t ton of games the past 3 years with basically the same squad and had a load of injuries this year. Maybe he should practice what he preaches on player safety / rotation
      « Last Edit: Dec 30, 2020 11:52:15 pm by Breeding-Reds-In-The-434 »
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #601: Dec 30, 2020 11:10:13 pm
      Very frustrating again dropping points against a side we should be wiping the floor with even without any centre halves. Newcastle came out tonight and gave us a game and we should have taken them to the cleaners but just couldn't take our chances.

Nat Phillips is an honest player and will give his all as will Rhys Williams but we need an upgrade in this window without a shadow...

This league is there to be won this season and I really hope Jürgen can see what's needed and get it done. Our main rivals will be Utd I can feel it and we can easily stay ahead of them with some good decisions made in this transfer window.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #602: Dec 30, 2020 11:10:23 pm
      Surprised Sadio didn't make more of Darlow grabbing his leg would of made VAR have a look
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #603: Dec 30, 2020 11:12:43 pm
      Surprised Sadio didn't make more of Darlow grabbing his leg would of made VAR have a look

Does it need ths player to highlight it? If yes another failing of var...said it after tge match before motd, thats a peno he grabbed the kicking leg prdvents Sadio getting a swing at the rebound, peno all day
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #604: Dec 30, 2020 11:14:06 pm
      What the f**k was the last few minutes, passing it side to side, f**king embarrassing!

I guarantee Southampton and Manure beat us.

I guarantee when they don't you will carry on here like nothing happened.
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #605: Dec 30, 2020 11:15:14 pm
      Were Top Of The League And Your No ,YNWA
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #606: Dec 30, 2020 11:20:54 pm
      Does it need ths player to highlight it? If yes another failing of var...said it after tge match before motd, thats a peno he grabbed the kicking leg prdvents Sadio getting a swing at the rebound, peno all day
      To be honest don't think it does but they were never going to refer it as will think no big deal made so go with original decision cant blame ref as I didn't see it in real time
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #607: Dec 30, 2020 11:22:17 pm
      Disappointing to say the least, we are still top, of the League, but for how long, the way points are being dropped to sides we should be winning against.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #608: Dec 30, 2020 11:26:28 pm
      To be honest don't think it does but they were never going to refer it as will think no big deal made so go with original decision cant blame ref as I didn't see it in real time

I dont think anyone did to be fair. Was the replay I copped it
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #609: Dec 30, 2020 11:28:17 pm
      Jürgen may need to drop a couple of players,he has been to loyal to certain players,time for Minamino to have a run of games for Bobby and now Thiago will come back in,give Gini a bit more bench time and TAA needs a kick up the backside,maybe play Milner at right back for a couple of games,time for them to earn their places and find their hunger.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #610: Dec 30, 2020 11:33:57 pm
      Thiago back will make a massive difference. He took another F***ing strong challenge to the leg though, almost as if they’re targeting him
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #611: Dec 30, 2020 11:44:46 pm
      We need Fabinho back in the midfield. He’s done an excellent job filling in at centre half but his passing of the ball from the DM position into the front threes feet (and sometimes in behind) is missing. Henderson is a decent number 8 but as a number 6 he passes the ball sideways far too often choosing the safe option. It’s easier to defend against which is what we’ve seen in the last two games especially.

Henderson needs to play further forward to press the opposition and to chase second balls and we need somebody better on the ball to play in front of the back four.
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #612: Dec 31, 2020 12:41:40 am
      We need Fabinho back in the midfield. He’s done an excellent job filling in at centre half but his passing of the ball from the DM position into the front threes feet (and sometimes in behind) is missing. Henderson is a decent number 8 but as a number 6 he passes the ball sideways far too often choosing the safe option. It’s easier to defend against which is what we’ve seen in the last two games especially.

Henderson needs to play further forward to press the opposition and to chase second balls and we need somebody better on the ball to play in front of the back four.

Can't see Fab moving anywhere anytime soon Thiago will pick that role up
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #613: Dec 31, 2020 01:12:09 am

Can't see Fab moving anywhere anytime soon Thiago will pick that role up

Was just thinking about this and our ideal midfield setup. Fabinho will still be needed in the back even if we bring someone in, so I guess it's Thiago as #6 like you say, and Henderson and Wijnaldum farther forward as HTM mentions. The latter two of course still have to cover for the fullbacks when they bomb forward.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #614: Dec 31, 2020 03:12:06 am
      I would agree with Klopp it was a okay performance, though we didn't create a bunch of chances and had periods (especially at the start) where we had to defend and needed Alisson to step up but poor finishing (and a couple great saves from thier keeper) let us down tonight big time. Even on a couple those plays where ball was rattling around inside their box just never fell our way.

As someone mention before we miss having the option of Jota to offer something different as Klopp previous two games really seem reluctant to call upon Origi/Taki (with good reason) to change things up.

Also really annoyed about TAA who I found lazy, you look at Robbo busting a nut going up and down the left side all game where TAA doesn't show the urgency. He just doesn't offer near enough threat on the right side. Though will say that cross field ball for Robbo was very pretty.

I had a feeling before the start of this season we would see a regression from the results of the past two season and given the injury we went through we done good enough job to be in the race. It is frustrating to see us drop points vs bottom 5 clubs, yes might happen once but this see it again and again it upsetting. Going to be tough run with the amount of chopping amd changing in CB position and if we don't buy one with the idea of relying on Williams and Phillips just don't see how it is going work even if Matip can play a few games.
      « Last Edit: Dec 31, 2020 03:20:00 am by adammac »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #615: Dec 31, 2020 04:01:57 am
      I don’t think we need to panic, we are so used to playing so well and machine like, but I can remember times where consistency was a problem, and form was on a wing and a prayer at times, like Brian alluded too above there were seasons where we had bad office days aplenty,

We are not that well oiled machine of last season, we’re missing 50% of our usual back line for a start, Virgil & Gomez, we’re missing a 50% of our usual midfield because our DM is playing as a cb and Henderson is filling in as a the DM, that’s four positions arguably a third of our spine either missing or effected by forced changes, the three amigos have been mis-firing especially Bobby who’s been well off the boil until recently, Mo hasn’t been as prolific and even Mane has had bad days, and of course Ali has been out injured too,

Now add other injuries suffered, Trent, Milner, Keita, Matip, Chambo, and this season in particular, Thiago & Jota, and you can add fatigue into the equation as well, too many games in such a short period of time will wear players down, even the most fittest of athletes, the same for any EPL club, it’s no coincidence that others are suffering bad office days too,

So there’s no question our whole squad has been effected at some point, is it any wonder then that form has been somewhat erratic at best, from disaster at Villa to the elation V Palace and everything in between, so hold onto your Cocks & Clit’s ppl there’s lots to happen yet in this craziest of seasons,

We have Thiago back now, and once he’s match fit we will see a huge difference in form, by then, Chambo will have had more game time, Milner too, Jota won’t be far away from returning either, we can surround Matip & Naby in bubble wrap and hope they don’t get crocked again(miracles do happen yanno’s), and in time we might even see Virgil & Joe back in training at least,

We just need to get through this Xmas madness and things will start to settle down, if COVID allows it, that’s all we can hope for really, we’re still top of the league and we’re still the team to beat.

WE GO AGAIN, Believe   !

Y  N  W  A

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #616: Dec 31, 2020 05:02:40 am
      Teams are really starting to believe they can get results against us now. Our invincibility is over. We also look devoid of ideas at times with most of our chances coming from crosses.

With half a team I think it's understandable now. Certainly the best time to play you and can't come quick enough.  ;D
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #617: Dec 31, 2020 05:30:00 am
      Eerily similar to the 08-09 season where we dropped points in all the 'winnable' games.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #618: Dec 31, 2020 06:18:38 am
      If we won the league this year you would have to question the standard. Feels rare that we win.

No matter who wins the league it won't be of the standard of last two years but genuine reasons as to why. If I say 2020 that should really tell you everthing.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #619: Dec 31, 2020 06:21:20 am
      Eerily similar to the 08-09 season where we dropped points in all the 'winnable' games.

That isn't true when you look at the circumstance. You wasn't playing with half a team  back then.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #620: Dec 31, 2020 07:52:25 am
      That isn't true when you look at the circumstance. You wasn't playing with half a team  back then.

To be in this position despite all the injuries speaks volumes about Jürgen's work. If somebody had offered this in September, I would have taken this gladly.

But, I didn't expect us drop points to the likes of Fulham, Villa, WBA and other teams that are in the bottom half. In that 08-09 season we dropped points to the likes of Stoke, a newly promoted team, at home. Of course, I am not panicking because other teams are also dropping points left , right and center. The frustrating part is the inability to take off during this period especially when the schedule during the festive period has been kind to us.

Quick Reply