Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Newcastle?

Alisson Becker
      11 (17.2%)
       Fabinho
      11 (17.2%)
      Nat Phillips
      1 (1.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      13 (20.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (4.7%)
      James Milner
      5 (7.8%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (3.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.6%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      15 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: Jan 03, 2021 09:52:10 pm

Newcastle United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 21756 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Newcastle United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Dec 31, 2020 08:15:56 am
      To be in this position despite all the injuries speaks volumes about Jürgen's work. If somebody had offered this in September, I would have taken this gladly.

But, I didn't expect us drop points to the likes of Fulham, Villa, WBA and other teams that are in the bottom half. In that 08-09 season we dropped points to the likes of Stoke, a newly promoted team, at home. Of course, I am not panicking because other teams are also dropping points left , right and center. The frustrating part is the inability to take off during this period especially when the schedule during the festive period has been kind to us.

If I was a fan I'd be the same too. It's just impossible to complain under the circumstances, least that's my thinking anyway.  You have to remember some of your current 11 are bench players at the very best so the lesser lights can sneak the draws, espically when fat Sam involved  ;D

Sadly you'll hit form when full team back.  :f_whistle:
      liverpoolcore
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 104 posts | 10 
      Reply #622: Dec 31, 2020 08:47:12 am
      Disappointing to say the least, we are still top, of the League, but for how long, the way points are being dropped to sides we should be winning against.
      And United's run of form doesnt help us in the slightest
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #623: Dec 31, 2020 09:09:36 am
      The bigger picture is with all the injuries,VAR decisions against us ALL season,the latest being the Mane incident which should have been a pen we are still top.All the rival fans saying we wouldn't/couldn't do it without VVD are being proved wrong we have conceded just 10 goals in 17 games after the Everton game that VVD was injured,and we couldn't do it without VAR,well we have been screwed all season with VAR BUT we are still top,it's ours to lose,no way United will last they are truly awful and lucky,when we meet in a few weeks time they will be happy with putting 10 men behind the ball and settle for the draw,it's out of us and City
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #624: Dec 31, 2020 09:17:24 am
      Hate football sometimes
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #625: Dec 31, 2020 09:37:20 am
      It's true if Mane had of flung his arms around and Hendo run up to the ref that would have been given I'm sure of it..
      It is frustrating of late but if you'd have offered me top after 16 games (even joint top with a better GD) I'd have taken it, there are 22 games to play.
      There's no one as peed off as me when we don't win games like last night but unlike previous years where our (the fans) obsession was the elusive title I can now brush it off easier when the dust has settled and think right on to the next one we go again.
      It's all in our hands still but we have to improve, I'd give Jones some bench time now take the pressure off a bit. City are still the one's we need to watch, Utd have the strike power in attack but awful everywhere else.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #626: Dec 31, 2020 10:12:14 am
      If I was a fan I'd be the same too. It's just impossible to complain under the circumstances, least that's my thinking anyway.  You have to remember some of your current 11 are bench players at the very best so the lesser lights can sneak the draws, espically when fat Sam involved  ;D

Sadly you'll hit form when full team back.  :f_whistle:

But you are a fan Keith, albeit a closet one, why don’t you come out mate, I know it will be difficult for you to admit that LFC are superior on all levels to your wee mates at the toilet, but it won’t be as difficult as you think, just imagine you have to tell your missus you’ve found someone else more appealing and more beautiful, and that you have enjoyed your time together but it’s time to move on and go onto bigger and better success,  I’m sure she will fully understand 😜🙈🤣......the number for relate is ..0800 303 4536....

Good luck mate 😁

Y  N  W  A
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #627: Dec 31, 2020 10:39:29 am

But you are a fan Keith, albeit a closet one, why don’t you come out mate, I know it will be difficult for you to admit that LFC are superior on all levels to your wee mates at the toilet, but it won’t be as difficult as you think, just imagine you have to tell your missus you’ve found someone else more appealing and more beautiful, and that you have enjoyed your time together but it’s time to move on and go onto bigger and better success,  I’m sure she will fully understand 😜🙈🤣......the number for relate is ..0800 303 4536....

Good luck mate 😁

Y  N  W  A

Well we were superior for a while and now its your turn. Hopefully not for 20 years though.  ;D
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #628: Dec 31, 2020 11:11:31 am
      Not sure we can have too much to complain about.

We didn't deserve to beat Brighton, Fulham, WB or Newcastle.

If we had battered them and been a little unlucky then I would have thought fate was against us, but we have been very average (7-0 aside).

so to be top and have the chance to actually hit some form we should feel lucky.

Having Fab at CB is killing creativity, so having Thiago back for a couple of games will help.
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #629: Dec 31, 2020 11:38:52 am
      oh and if you like a punt, just back Newcastle to get hammered by Leicester on Sunday and West Brom by Arsenal.

2/1 nailed on
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #630: Dec 31, 2020 11:54:15 am

Having Fab at CB is killing creativity, so having Thiago back for a couple of games will help.

I was thinking this yesterday also. Is how good Fabinho has slotted in at CB made us forget how integral he was to our midfield previously.

Jones is going to be great for us I am sure, but Fab has that assurance about him and can also play an intricate pass fairly quickly much like Tiago, I think that's what we have been missing as of late, as our front three are always making the runs.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #631: Dec 31, 2020 12:13:04 pm
      Just watched the 15-minute highlight package. It shows us with chance after chance after chance. Nothing sh*t about that performance, but the finishing is what was lacking. We literally did everything EXCEPT score. The result is the only comparison to the West Brom match. League won't be a runaway this season. It usually isn't. Last year was the exceptional case, not this year.

Monday should be a good game of football. Can't wait to enjoy it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #632: Dec 31, 2020 12:34:36 pm
      Just watched the 15-minute highlight package. It shows us with chance after chance after chance. Nothing sh*t about that performance, but the finishing is what was lacking. We literally did everything EXCEPT score. The result is the only comparison to the West Brom match. League won't be a runaway this season. It usually isn't. Last year was the exceptional case, not this year.

Any chance of Jota playing Monday..? 😃
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #633: Dec 31, 2020 01:05:27 pm
      I wonder if this failure to break teams down lately is because of a tweak to the system.
      Before, when we had VVD, matip and Gomez we knew we could attack more freely because of our defence.
      But now, with youngsters and a midfielder as our only options in defence, it seems to be that our midfield is more rigid and make less runs forward supporting the front three. This means less space for the front three.

Personally, I think it’s incredible where we are in the table with the injuries we have had, but to keep it up we need a defender in January.

In the mean time, I would like to see our two holding midfielders to be Henderson and Thiago (his passing could be crucial) with ox or gini in an advanced role. Thiago is the key for me in this system.

But we will see.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #634: Dec 31, 2020 01:44:44 pm
      Any chance of Jota playing Monday..? 😃

I'm an optimist, not a miracle-seeker!  :)

I'd like to think Bobby, Sadio and Mohammed might have built up a little good will over the past few years. I think they can score goals still.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #635: Dec 31, 2020 01:47:05 pm
      I wonder if this failure to break teams down lately is because of a tweak to the system.
      Before, when we had VVD, matip and Gomez we knew we could attack more freely because of our defence.
      But now, with youngsters and a midfielder as our only options in defence, it seems to be that our midfield is more rigid and make less runs forward supporting the front three. This means less space for the front three.

Personally, I think it’s incredible where we are in the table with the injuries we have had, but to keep it up we need a defender in January.

In the mean time, I would like to see our two holding midfielders to be Henderson and Thiago (his passing could be crucial) with ox or gini in an advanced role. Thiago is the key for me in this system.

But we will see.

Broke Newcastle down plenty. Chance after chance after chance. Played some lovely passing football at times. Just not good enough finishing on the day.

Saying all that, it did look like Curtis Jones, who I'm a big fan of, did seem to be in the way or an extra wheel at times. Not sure what should change re that.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #636: Dec 31, 2020 01:48:11 pm
      Broke Newcastle down plenty. Chance after chance after chance. Played some lovely passing football at times. Just not good enough finishing on the day.

Saying all that, it did look like Curtis Jones, who I'm a big fan of, did seem to be in the way or an extra wheel at times. Not sure what should change re that.

Drop him and play Thiago!
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #637: Dec 31, 2020 02:36:13 pm

If Thiago starts he won't finish so might be better off the bench as not ready for 90 yet
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #638: Dec 31, 2020 03:05:15 pm
      Jones and Milner was a bad idea. It was clear to see.

Shaqiri and Thiago should have been substituted much earlier. Klopp is in his own world sometimes. He seems to be stubborn and not recognize that he messed up.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #639: Dec 31, 2020 03:16:20 pm

So the finishing was sh*t then? 😉

In all seriousness it was a frustrating game yesterday but if you'd have told me we'd be top of the table at the end of the year after Virg and Joe got injured I'd have snapped your hand off.

We have players coming back but we must get one if not two CB's this January, if we do we win the league, if not then it will be very tricky and weeneed other teams to be worse than us.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #640: Dec 31, 2020 03:18:22 pm

Shaqiri and Thiago should have been substituted much earlier. Klopp is in his own world sometimes. He seems to be stubborn and not recognize that he messed up.

Hendo and Milner is always a bad combo, zero creativity. Curtis has lost a bit of confidence it seems, thank F**k Thiago is back.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #641: Dec 31, 2020 03:47:56 pm
      We were wasteful. I'm very disappointed with the last two games. We could have opened some lead but now we're even :(
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #642: Dec 31, 2020 05:22:51 pm

We made a ton of chances.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #643: Dec 31, 2020 07:12:59 pm
      Started off a bit sluggish again, but played alright once we got going. Wasn't like the West Brom game where they created quite a few chances. (Plus their best chance only came about because they were allowed to take the free kick 20 yards infield from where the foul happened.)

Thiago was instant class when he came on. He should solve the problem of us lacking a bit of creativity to open up bus-parkers. That wasn't so much of a problem last night anyway (to be fair to Newcastle they came out and played more than W Brom), it was mainly just sh*t finishing. One of those rare games where all of our front 3 have a poor night at once. Bobby's lack of real poachers ability does hurt us sometimes against the more defensive teams, but Mo and Sadio usually make up for it. When Jota comes back he will give us the obvious solution to any of our front 3 struggling for goals.

Thiago coming back was the highlight of the game, but I still gave MOTM to Robertson - he was easily our most creative player over the 90 mins.

Quick Reply