Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Fulham [Premier League] Sat 6th Mar @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of March and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W12 D4 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Villa?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      1 (1.6%)
      Rhys Williams
      0 (0%)
      Neco Williams
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      2 (3.1%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.6%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      6 (9.4%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      5 (7.8%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      48 (75%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: Jan 12, 2021 09:37:16 pm

Aston Villa 1-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 6535 times
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 911 posts | 282 
      Re: Aston Villa 1-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #475: Jan 10, 2021 11:16:41 am
      I think Klopp went strong to maintain match sharpness, otherwise the FIrst XI would have have had a long break between games.  I think he was right in this case, although not so in the case of the Midtjylland game, where (hindsight excepted) it always looked foolish to play key first teamers, especially those in sh*t-hot form like Jota!

Villa's kids were outstanding in my opinion, and to rubbish our lads for a poor performance doesn't tell the whole story.  We played conservatively to protect a lead initially, and protect a back four that were untried as a unit.  We were set up to attack and win quickly but it didn't happen and we found ourselves having to contain them.  We were dealt with very effectively for an hour by a well-drilled, hungry and fit bunch of lads with nothing to lose and everything to gain.  When they tired, we got the better of them but seemed almost embarrassed to win by 4 -1.  Our lads knew they'd been in a game.

I don't think we should read anything much into the game, beyond the usual "we move on - next game is the important one!"

Yeah, I was disappointed in the performance and some of the best players we've got had poor games.  It happens, its sport.  We also had no luck for 60 minutes.  Again, it happens.  They're not machines.

Drop Hendo?  Not on your life.  And neither will Jürgen.  Some folks on here want re-directing to the knee-jerk thread.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,388 posts | 1216 
      Reply #476: Jan 10, 2021 11:38:31 am
      I think Klopp went strong to maintain match sharpness, otherwise the FIrst XI would have have had a long break between games.  I think he was right in this case, although not so in the case of the Midtjylland game, where (hindsight excepted) it always looked foolish to play key first teamers, especially those in sh*t-hot form like Jota!

Villa's kids were outstanding in my opinion, and to rubbish our lads for a poor performance doesn't tell the whole story.  We played conservatively to protect a lead initially, and protect a back four that were untried as a unit.  We were set up to attack and win quickly but it didn't happen and we found ourselves having to contain them.  We were dealt with very effectively for an hour by a well-drilled, hungry and fit bunch of lads with nothing to lose and everything to gain.  When they tired, we got the better of them but seemed almost embarrassed to win by 4 -1.  Our lads knew they'd been in a game.

I don't think we should read anything much into the game, beyond the usual "we move on - next game is the important one!"

Yeah, I was disappointed in the performance and some of the best players we've got had poor games.  It happens, its sport.  We also had no luck for 60 minutes.  Again, it happens.  They're not machines.

Drop Hendo?  Not on your life.  And neither will Jürgen.  Some folks on here want re-directing to the knee-jerk thread.

The concern about the performance for me stems from the fact it wasn’t a once off, we’ve seen this quite a few times now where teams have employed the same tactic and it looks like we really struggle, even if a bunch of kids do it to us. Wouldn’t surprise me to see the mancs go down the same route although they’ll obviously offer more on the counter.

Agree on Hendo, no chance he gets dropped.
      ruthcity

• 5,055 posts | 866 
      Reply #477: Jan 10, 2021 11:39:40 am
      We won the match and moved into the next round. That’s the key point. Whoever was mugged or scored an own goal is all history now. Past performance is not indicative of future performance.

Get on with life, get a life and stop living in the past.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 911 posts | 282 
      Reply #478: Jan 10, 2021 12:06:01 pm
      The concern about the performance for me stems from the fact it wasn’t a once off, we’ve seen this quite a few times now where teams have employed the same tactic and it looks like we really struggle, even if a bunch of kids do it to us. Wouldn’t surprise me to see the mancs go down the same route although they’ll obviously offer more on the counter.

Agree on Hendo, no chance he gets dropped.

I agree, we have struggled (not only recently) against bus-parking teams, and had three frustrating results against teams we'd expect to beat.
      It's always happened.  Its the only way less talented teams know to stop us.  Last season we won these games by the odd late goal, but this season we're not quite getting over the line.  I sense some doubt and lack of cohesion among the attackers.  I think Salah and Mane need to try and find each other more, to get their heads up and use the option each of them offers the other, because although selfishness gets goals, it probably costs us even more goals! 
      ManUre will be a different game, I think.  There'll be more space, more end-to-end, pacey attacking, but if they get a lead they'll sit back and try to hit us on the counter,  that's the danger.  We need to strike first or Tiago becomes our only hope of breaching them.

Hendo is first on the team sheet.  I hope!

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,877 posts | 441 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #479: Jan 10, 2021 12:10:15 pm
      Fantastic by the villa u18s. well done lads.

Job done from us, always knew they would tire last 20mins.

Brilliant to see thaigo and shaq get more minutes. both looking class.
      RedWilly

• 8,388 posts | 1216 
      Reply #480: Jan 10, 2021 12:34:40 pm
      We won the match and moved into the next round. That’s the key point. Whoever was mugged or scored an own goal is all history now. Past performance is not indicative of future performance.

A post that isn’t sarcastic, shame it’s absolute rubbish. This nonsense that has come up recently where people can’t discuss the match is a farce, if you want to live in an echo chamber more power to you, but this ain’t the place.
      RedWilly

• 8,388 posts | 1216 
      Reply #481: Jan 10, 2021 12:49:53 pm
      I agree, we have struggled (not only recently) against bus-parking teams, and had three frustrating results against teams we'd expect to beat.
      It's always happened.  Its the only way less talented teams know to stop us.  Last season we won these games by the odd late goal, but this season we're not quite getting over the line.  I sense some doubt and lack of cohesion among the attackers.  I think Salah and Mane need to try and find each other more, to get their heads up and use the option each of them offers the other, because although selfishness gets goals, it probably costs us even more goals! 
      ManUre will be a different game, I think.  There'll be more space, more end-to-end, pacey attacking, but if they get a lead they'll sit back and try to hit us on the counter,  that's the danger.  We need to strike first or Tiago becomes our only hope of breaching them.

Hendo is first on the team sheet.  I hope!

I agree, it’s obviously a tough tactic to play against because of the lack of space to operate and maybe we were spoiled last season (well we definitely were) where we literally won every game till about Xmas, including against teams employing this tactic.

Think Jürgen knew we would face this even more this season and that was the thinking behind Thiago coming in, just hope he isn’t on the end of anymore bad challenges that put him out, mad how he’s become such an important player with so few minutes under his belt.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,939 posts | 1015 
      • YNWA
      Reply #482: Jan 10, 2021 03:03:01 pm

So I can't go round to Marty and Doc Browns anymore?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,559 posts | 1588 
      Reply #483: Jan 10, 2021 04:23:18 pm
      Nothing factual in this post either. You seem to have an issue being genuine bud. Maybe try working on that and don’t worry so much about what I’m posting.

I’m on a Liverpool forum in a post match thread giving MY opinion on the game you weapon.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,100 posts | 3912 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #484: Jan 10, 2021 04:28:35 pm
      To be honest mate, this forum has several divvys on it, loads of people who talk sh*te, but you’re right up there in the top three and it’s people like you why other people can’t be arsed and swerve it.

Am I the only one wanting the whole top 3 being revealed?

Unless I'm in it, that is...
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,196 posts | 1729 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #485: Jan 10, 2021 05:29:18 pm
      Am I the only one wanting the whole top 3 being revealed?

Unless I'm in it, that is...

You just reminded me we use to have a vote down option on here a few years back. One lad had a serious minus number at one point, he turned it around though to some degree. Richobaz was it?? -800 at ine point I think
      « Last Edit: Jan 10, 2021 05:36:00 pm by Brian78 »
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 27,438 posts | 2712 
      Reply #486: Jan 10, 2021 05:48:10 pm
      You just reminded me we use to have a vote down option on here a few years back. One lad had a serious minus number at one point, he turned it around though to some degree. Richobaz was it?? -800 at ine point I think

Good old Richobaz.

You lads will remember samcharles as well. What a guy he was. ;D
      RedWilly

• 8,388 posts | 1216 
      Reply #487: Jan 10, 2021 06:03:56 pm
      Good old Richobaz.

You lads will remember samcharles as well. What a guy he was. ;D

I’ve just given corballyred a follow on Twitter, looking forward to some of his pearlers 😂
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,165 posts | 673 
      Reply #488: Jan 10, 2021 06:09:58 pm
      I’ve just given corballyred a follow on Twitter, looking forward to some of his pearlers 😂

He has 10.8k followers is he hard work?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,196 posts | 1729 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #489: Jan 10, 2021 06:12:37 pm

Might have been corbally actually that had the mega minus
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 27,438 posts | 2712 
      Reply #490: Jan 10, 2021 06:16:16 pm

You're a better man than me if you last.

Hasn't changed a bit. Still a nutcase.
      RedWilly

• 8,388 posts | 1216 
      Reply #491: Jan 10, 2021 06:27:25 pm
      He has 10.8k followers is he hard work?

Used to be on here, the sky is falling type
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,165 posts | 673 
      Reply #492: Jan 10, 2021 07:01:32 pm
      Used to be on here, the sky is falling type

Ha ha yes just read through some his latest tweets very much so
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,100 posts | 3912 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #493: Jan 10, 2021 09:28:30 pm

Great entertainment just like that @MrPrice1979 guy 😉
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | 158 
      Reply #494: Jan 10, 2021 10:33:42 pm

Wow - that's quite something! 800!!I first came on to this back in spring 2010, must have predated me.

I recall the down vote option though. I remember one user got pissed at me for revealing the ending to Toy Story 3. No malice intended.
      GERNS

• 9,064 posts | 807 
      Reply #495: Jan 11, 2021 07:17:40 am
      Wouldn’t surprise me to see the mancs go down the same route although they’ll obviously offer more on the counter

After seeing our recent performances, it’s nailed on utd will sit back and counter. It won’t be an open end to end game that’s for sure. Only way that will happen, is if we score first, and early.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,313 posts | 2665 
      Reply #496: Jan 11, 2021 08:20:04 am
      After seeing our recent performances, it’s nailed on utd will sit back and counter. It won’t be an open end to end game that’s for sure. Only way that will happen, is if we score first, and early.

I think we will score first and early, I have a feeling that the introduction of Thiago may have clicked us back into gear. Yes I know it was against a team of tired kids, but they were sitting back defending for their lives yet we carved them open for about 30 minutes that second half, playing much quicker inventive football.
      GERNS

• 9,064 posts | 807 
      Reply #497: Jan 12, 2021 09:53:41 am
      I think we will score first and early, I have a feeling that the introduction of Thiago may have clicked us back into gear. Yes I know it was against a team of tired kids, but they were sitting back defending for their lives yet we carved them open for about 30 minutes that second half, playing much quicker inventive football.

Being our next game, and one of the biggest in the season, i'm hoping that 30 minutes of brilliance will now continue for the remainder of the season. Back to the form we've become used to. Blowing everyone away.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,029 posts | 3188 
      Reply #498: Jan 12, 2021 12:10:51 pm
      The thing with Hendo is that he isnt there to create, he is their to control the midfield and to let our fullbacks attack.
      He gets a assist here and there, but his job is to cover for our most creative players ala Taa and robbo.

Everytime they are high up on the pitch, hendo is ready to make a definsive run to cover the space they left behind. I like Hendo, but im not his biggest supporter either. I think he is a good player who is very good at what he is there to do.

I personally feel that he has evolved into a player who is almost vital to our team. He brings stability into our lineup and control into our midfield. Now there are sime games im which he should be rested but our strongest lineup includes Hendo.

Thats just how i see it, Hendo has had a huge role in why our fullbacks are thought as world class.

And Gini.

When the FB's are forwards, you can clearly see them slot in behind, and slightly inside.
      They do it in rotation, depending where they are on the pitch.
      You can also see one of the three, drop back beside the CB's (or between them) at various times.
      When the opponents are very deep, the covering midfielder pushes up in support, and is also there to win the ball back high up

An article last week brought up TAA's 38 misplaced passes, and made the point that Henderson wasn't where he usually was, because he was at CB.
      It just shows how finely tuned the system is that a difference of a couple of yards in position, can mean a lot of misplaced passes.

The fact that after pretty much 5 years watching this, some people still can't see it is mind boggling.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,029 posts | 3188 
      Reply #499: Jan 12, 2021 12:12:15 pm

I think you're right, and with our lack of pace at the back, that could be a problem.

Quick Reply