Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Utd [Premier League] Sun 17th Jan @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of January and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W9 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Saints?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      9 (15.3%)
       Fabinho
      7 (11.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.7%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      4 (6.8%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      35 (59.3%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: Jan 08, 2021 09:54:54 pm

Southampton 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 7643 times
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,884 posts | 95 
      Re: Southampton 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #775: Jan 05, 2021 04:45:39 pm
      TAA and Alison were terrible.having Henderson as CB was useless. Nat Philips would have been enough. The front 3, particularly Firmino, need to return to their basics. Wijnaldum was a ghost.

But the main culprit is Klopp. By trying to be optimistic and positive after disastrous performances, he is becoming delusional. This team has been average for weeks now. We need another player at the front and a new CB.
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2021 04:54:34 pm by alex1995 »
      tezmac
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,795 posts | 349 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #776: Jan 05, 2021 04:47:36 pm
      Most players were shocking last night, and nothing changed during the game
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,524 posts | 1260 
      Reply #777: Jan 05, 2021 04:55:38 pm
      Was watching MNF after the full time whistle and Carragher forensically examined our penalty shout and said why it wasn't a pen.

After seeing all that I'm still convinced it was.

Don't mind Carra's analysis of other teams but he's completely lost the plot regarding us in recent times. Tries so hard to come off as not biased that he's all over the place really.

It was such a clear penalty, felt cringey watching him dissect it down and try to claim it wasn't.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,930 posts | 3129 
      Reply #778: Jan 05, 2021 04:56:43 pm
      Is it really drama and histrionics to acknowledge that results haven't been going our way and suggest that a change to the way we've been trying to break down teams should be reviewed and tweaked? Especially when, as we are clearly struggling with personnel in certain positions who were integral to the success we have had, the players who have replaced them aren't capable of doing the same things they were, such was the high level they were performing at?

Surely thinking everything will magically fix itself whilst we are currently clearly under strength is more foolish than trying to look at a different way of breaking teams down?

I read the match thread. Drama and histrionics is exactly it.

Salah needs benching, Firmino is sh*t,, TAA has lost the plot, blah, blah, f**king blah.
      Heard it all before, literally hundreds of times.

Something else I've heard so many times is "things need to change". Yeah, the very same things that saw us have one of the most successful periods in our history.
      So you've gone from "teams have worked us out", which of course is utter nonsense considering we've been playing the same way since Klopp got here, to "we need to change" a successful formula that brought us a first league title in decades.

There's nothing magical about it.
      Players lose a bit of form, other teams are allowed to play well, sometimes we have a bad patch as all teams do.

What you don't do is throw everything out, and start again.

The tactical and positional tweaks are there every game for those who are able to see them, as are the in game formational changes.

We lost our 2 starting defenders, and then our 3rd choice.
      F**k all anyone can do about that, and given our style of play, I doubt a new CB is going to slot in seamlessly and make everything better.

Like I said; it's football, sh*t happens.
      You can either get over it and move on, or not.
      Your choice.
      I've already moved on.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,697 posts | 578 
      Reply #779: Jan 05, 2021 05:04:12 pm
      Love the ignore button cuts out all the sanctimonious  sh*te I read
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | 22 
      Reply #780: Jan 05, 2021 05:23:13 pm
      I read the match thread. Drama and histrionics is exactly it.

Salah needs benching, Firmino is sh*t,, TAA has lost the plot, blah, blah, f**king blah.
      Heard it all before, literally hundreds of times.

Something else I've heard so many times is "things need to change". Yeah, the very same things that saw us have one of the most successful periods in our history.
      So you've gone from "teams have worked us out", which of course is utter nonsense considering we've been playing the same way since Klopp got here, to "we need to change" a successful formula that brought us a first league title in decades.

There's nothing magical about it.
      Players lose a bit of form, other teams are allowed to play well, sometimes we have a bad patch as all teams do.

What you don't do is throw everything out, and start again.

The tactical and positional tweaks are there every game for those who are able to see them, as are the in game formational changes.

We lost our 2 starting defenders, and then our 3rd choice.
      F**k all anyone can do about that, and given our style of play, I doubt a new CB is going to slot in seamlessly and make everything better.

Like I said; it's football, sh*t happens.
      You can either get over it and move on, or not.
      Your choice.
      I've already moved on.

As I keep saying, the results show we have been worked out by other teams, which would suggest a change could result in better performances and picking up more points  than we have recently. The fact that we're doing what we've always done, as you admit, suggests teams have figured out a way to counter it.
      We have been poor for a while now, this isn't just the last 3 or 4 games, the ease that poor teams are shutting us down suggests that something is wrong and needs to be addressed to turn this slump around.
      FYI You won't have seen a single post from me saying anyone should be benched or calling anyone sh*t.
      I do however think there has been a significant drop off in performances across almost the entire team.
      How many points since restart have we picked up compared to other teams at the top, I bet it is no where near as many as when we were destroying teams.

But we can hark back to then and remember how good we were, so all is good because that's football.

Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,856 posts | 336 
      Reply #781: Jan 05, 2021 05:34:43 pm
      Sums up where we’re at right now.... 2 of the last 3 games when we need a goal... corner in the last minute and we’ve fu**ed it up and taken it short....

complacency written all over us at the moment
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,930 posts | 3129 
      Reply #782: Jan 05, 2021 05:35:09 pm
      As I keep saying, the results show we have been worked out by other teams, which would suggest a change could result in better performances and picking up more points  than we have recently. The fact that we're doing what we've always done, as you admit, suggests teams have figured out a way to counter it.
      We have been poor for a while now, this isn't just the last 3 or 4 games, the ease that poor teams are shutting us down suggests that something is wrong and needs to be addressed to turn this slump around.
      FYI You won't have seen a single post from me saying anyone should be benched or calling anyone sh*t.
      I do however think there has been a significant drop off in performances across almost the entire team.
      How many points since restart have we picked up compared to other teams at the top, I bet it is no where near as many as when we were destroying teams.

But we can hark back to then and remember how good we were, so all is good because that's football.

It's simply not true.
      Klopp has been in charge for 272 matches, winning 164, and you're saying that teams have just now managed to work us out?

Bollocks.

They had Klopp sussed before he even came here.
      They knew his style, they knew his tactics.
      Fucks sake, it's like when he gave his Sky interview about tactics, and all the idiots were shouting that he'd given his secrets away.

Other clubs aren't run by f**king muppets who have been scratching their balls for nearly 300 matches going "durr, no idea how this lot play".
      It's an incredibly fatuous statement.
      Clubs put a huge amount of resources into dissecting and analyzing other clubs way of playing.
      We're not in the Jewson's Sunday league ffs.

It's down to a bit of bad form.
      Nothing else.
      And that gets solved on the training ground.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,979 posts | 1010 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #783: Jan 05, 2021 05:36:52 pm
      I like this reverse psychology sh*t

Far from it, it's a opinion. Your playing to much poker.  ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,979 posts | 1010 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #784: Jan 05, 2021 05:41:15 pm
      I'd say losing 6 or 7 key players also has something to do with this dry spell.

This is what I've been saying all along but it appears plenty think otherwise.  :f_doh:
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | 22 
      Reply #785: Jan 05, 2021 05:46:15 pm
      It's simply not true.
      Klopp has been in charge for 272 matches, winning 164, and you're saying that teams have just now managed to work us out?

Bollocks.

They had Klopp sussed before he even came here.
      They knew his style, they knew his tactics.
      Fucks sake, it's like when he gave his Sky interview about tactics, and all the idiots were shouting that he'd given his secrets away.

Other clubs aren't run by f**king muppets who have been scratching their balls for nearly 300 matches going "durr, no idea how this lot play".
      It's an incredibly fatuous statement.
      Clubs put a huge amount of resources into dissecting and analyzing other clubs way of playing.
      We're not in the Jewson's Sunday league ffs.

It's down to a bit of bad form.
      Nothing else.
      And that gets solved on the training ground.

Ok. A good team is a good team forever. No winning team ever has to evolve or change, because teams are simply incapable of countering a team once it is successful.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,930 posts | 3129 
      Reply #786: Jan 05, 2021 05:51:07 pm
      Ok. A good team is a good team forever. No winning team ever has to evolve or change, because teams are simply incapable of countering a team once it is successful.

No, good teams have bad spells.

Klopp's had his teams playing the same way for 20 years.
      He has been recognised by his peers as the best manager in the world.
      He makes tweaks and changes for every game, and plans differently for every opponent.

The idea that some of the top managers in the world have only just sussed him out is frankly, ridiculous.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | 22 
      Reply #787: Jan 05, 2021 05:54:36 pm
      No, good teams have bad spells.

Klopp's had his teams playing the same way for 20 years.
      He has been recognised by his peers as the best manager in the world.
      He makes tweaks and changes for every game, and plans differently for every opponent.

The idea that some of the top managers in the world have only just sussed him out is frankly, ridiculous.
      Let's hope he stays until he's 70 then because by that reckoning we'll never lose a league title or champions league until he retires.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,930 posts | 3129 
      Reply #788: Jan 05, 2021 05:58:33 pm
      Let's hope he stays until he's 70 then because by that reckoning we'll never lose a league title or champions league until he retires.

Trying to be a snidey smart arse because your crappy argument fell apart isn't a good look.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | 22 
      Reply #789: Jan 05, 2021 06:02:25 pm
      Trying to be a snidey smart arse because your crappy argument fell apart isn't a good look.
      Throwing insults because you don't agree with someone else's opinion isnt a good look either. Someone your age should know better.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,472 posts | 1968 
      Reply #790: Jan 05, 2021 06:31:30 pm
      Throwing insults because you don't agree with someone else's opinion isnt a good look either. Someone your age should know better.

To be fair mate you are talking a lot of sh*t
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 126 posts | 15 
      Reply #791: Jan 05, 2021 06:49:12 pm
      Don't mind Carra's analysis of other teams but he's completely lost the plot regarding us in recent times. Tries so hard to come off as not biased that he's all over the place really.

It was such a clear penalty, felt cringey watching him dissect it down and try to claim it wasn't.

Loved Carra as a player for us but the reality is he's a blue at heart,there his first love and we are his second love(team) when we are winning.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | 22 
      Reply #792: Jan 05, 2021 06:49:14 pm
      To be fair mate you are talking a lot of sh*t

If you say so.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,224 posts | 262 
      Reply #793: Jan 05, 2021 06:50:12 pm
      It certainly has an impact, probably more so yesterday than during the West Brom for example. Henderson looked a bit lost at times in the first half yesterday and found himself well out of position (only to be expected) and against Newcastle we saw Phillips get skinned for pace a few times as well as being uncertain in possession. All of this impacts on the others slightly, it might be the full-backs dropping a little deeper or not playing a pass back to t a centre-half in a pressured situation because they have less confidence in them.

Also, the VVD impact is still very noticeable, not just his dominance in the air and the fact that very few forwards even try to dribble past him. We've also missed his passing range both in transition and when the oppo have dropped and there is time on the ball.

Regards who is the best, i really don't know that Phillips is the best call. Against the bus parkers you could argue you would be better off with Williams, he's very comfortable and composed in possession, probably a little bit quicker, and if the oppo press i think he is perhaps less likely to make a mistake. If we were up against someone like Burnley who throw the ball into the box to Wood and Barnes i'd take Phillips all day though.

It's hard to say what the best option is between Phillips and Williams (and Hendo for that matter) based on so few performances. I expected Williams to be a bit quicker than Phillips too, but my impression from the 2 recent games was it was the other way round. Wilson went past Phillips fro Newcastle more because Phillips tried to ease him off the ball rather than just hold him up, rather than being beaten for pace. Whereas Williams looked surprisingly slow against W Brom. But, like I say, hard to be sure. I think the key thing is to get in a new CB who is both top class, and genuinely quick. In the meantime, I'd go Phillips of the 3, but none of the 3 are ideal.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 126 posts | 15 
      Reply #794: Jan 05, 2021 07:00:14 pm
      TAA and Alison were terrible.having Henderson as CB was useless. Nat Philips would have been enough. The front 3, particularly Firmino, need to return to their basics. Wijnaldum was a ghost.

But the main culprit is Klopp. By trying to be optimistic and positive after disastrous performances, he is becoming delusional. This team has been average for weeks now. We need another player at the front and a new CB.

What do you expect Jürgen to say in public?He's never going to throw the players under the bus (did you see his face/reaction when told TAA gave the ball away 38 times?) but i bet he fries them after in the dressing room and training,everyone can make excuses but the reality is with virtually every player out this season being injured or covid and our best player injured long term we are still competing for the top spot and that's credit to Jürgen,he still has plenty of time to turn our away form around and we still have United twice and city at home to play with 63 points to play for.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,930 posts | 3129 
      Reply #795: Jan 05, 2021 07:39:59 pm

I haven't thrown any insults, just spoken straight.

People have been spouting the same bullshit since Klopp's first season, and they keep getting proved wrong.

Man the f**k up, and admit you got it wrong.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | 22 
      Reply #796: Jan 05, 2021 07:48:00 pm
      I haven't thrown any insults, just spoken straight.

People have been spouting the same bullshit since Klopp's first season, and they keep getting proved wrong.

Man the f**k up, and admit you got it wrong.

I "got it wrong"
      You mean I said something you don't agree with.

You can no more prove you're right than you can prove I'm wrong. You think you're right, nice one.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,930 posts | 3129 
      Reply #797: Jan 05, 2021 07:53:14 pm
      I "got it wrong"
      You mean I said something you don't agree with.

You can no more prove you're right than you can prove I'm wrong. You think you're right, nice one.

No, I mean by any measure of logic, rational thought or even common sense, you're f**king wrong.

The fact you can't admit it says a lot.

The fact you keep trying to have the last word also says a lot.

Crack on.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | 22 
      Reply #798: Jan 05, 2021 08:07:41 pm
      No, I mean by any measure of logic, rational thought or even common sense, you're f**king wrong.

The fact you can't admit it says a lot.

The fact you keep trying to have the last word also says a lot.

Crack on.

Coming from the guy who keeps telling someone to admit they're wrong because he doesn't agree with them, that's pretty rich.

Keep thinking you're right pal, if it helps.
      A rabid desire to be right and tell others they're wrong is a wonderful trait to possess.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,697 posts | 976 
      • YNWA
      Reply #799: Jan 05, 2021 08:10:35 pm
      Really hope we sign a CB - but don't think in the last 3 games that's the reason we've dropped so many points.
      We've had a shedload possession, lots of pressure in the opposition final 3rd.
      But we barely got off a decent fecking strike. Against Newcastle we should've scored, dunno how we didn't.
      Next training session - shooting practice !!!!!!
      When the front three are a bit off form, it happens, has happened before. Salah has been a passenger.
      Jota had been scoring some really important goals, top class finishes, was playing great, starting some games.
      Not being able to bring him in has cost us. Shaq made no diff last night. AOC hasn't lit any fires. Taki didn't get a run.
      Would expect 1 or both of the Manc clubs to pass us out when games in hand caught up.
      And am sure one or other of em will go on a decent run, so we need to improve, and fast.
      Make some shooting chances just outside the box, and commit to the shot, no f**king leaning back sh*t.

Quick Reply