Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre match: Aston Villa v Liverpool. FA cup Friday Jan 8th

Read 12516 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Pre match: Aston Villa v Liverpool. FA cup Friday Jan 8th
      Jan 05, 2021 08:03:13 pm
      Just might be a welcome break from the league!!

Id love a cup run, well to win it being honest but this is a tough tie. Good side Villa and in decent form. We return to the scene of our early season humiliation. Chance of redemption or further frustration??

With 9 days between the tie and the utd league game surely we will see a strong side on the pitch, yet one that allows some new ideas, in system or positions.

Id like to see a slight tweek and maybe give an overdue rest to Robbo and Fab

Alisson

Trent   Rhys    Nat  Millie

Minamino  Hendo

Shaq                           Mane

Mo    Bobby

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Pre match: Aston Villa v Liverpool. FA cup Friday Jan 8th
      Reply #1: Jan 05, 2021 08:25:47 pm

Id love a cup run, well to win it being honest but this is a tough tie. Good side Villa and in decent form. We return to the scene of our early season humiliation. Chance of redemption or further frustration??

With 9 days between the tie and the utd league game surely we will see a strong side on the pitch, yet one that allows some new ideas, in system or positions.

Alisson

Minamino  Hendo

Mo    Bobby

With that team we ship another 7 goals against Villa... at least.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Jan 05, 2021 08:30:49 pm
      With that team we ship another 7 goals against Villa... at least.

We might score 8 though  :angel:
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #3: Jan 05, 2021 08:32:04 pm
      Think we'll see wholesale changes again for this one. Jürgen's not interested in the FA Cup at the best of times, let alone when two central midfielders are playing as his centre halves.

Kelleher; Neco, Phillips, Williams, Milner; Hendo, Ox, Jones; Shaqiri, Origi, Minamino.

Expecting something like that, maybe Fabinho at the back actually to make sure we don't ship 7 again.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #4: Jan 05, 2021 08:34:25 pm

Alisson

Minamino  Hendo

Mo    Bobby

Villa are a good side, no way we should play a weakened team against them. I'd rest Thiago (or use him as a sub anyway), so as to take no chances with his knee. Other than that, full strength. 9 days recovery for teh ManU game means that should be fine. Possibly tweak the formation slightly -

Alisson
      Trent     Nat    Fab   Robbo
                Hendo    Gini
         Mo    Shaq      Sadio
                    Bobby

Said in another thread that we are obviously worried about pressing high (and pushing Trent up the wing) because of our lack of pace/experience at CB. Those nerves are likely to be even janglier given what happened against Villa before. But I think we need to take the risk and go for it, certainly more than we did against Southampton - and get our attacking game going again before the big league game.
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2021 08:41:49 pm by sore monad »
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #5: Jan 05, 2021 08:35:59 pm
      Need some momentum going into next league game send TAA back out to try and ride out current form . Robbo bench got a feeling Fab will play
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #6: Jan 05, 2021 08:44:34 pm
      Need some momentum going into next league game send TAA back out to try and ride out current form . Robbo bench got a feeling Fab will play

If we'd have bounced back and beaten Southampton I would have said rest all the players for this, but now this game could be extremely useful, it will allow us to play without pressure and perhaps also experiment a little bit, but we should play all our normal forwards, they needs games to get back into form, hopefully before Man Utd.

We really really could do with a resounding win at Villa, a limp half and half team defeat will do no one any favours.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #7: Jan 05, 2021 09:17:52 pm
      Well I think the last two visits there are 2-7 and 0-5?

I think we should rotate for this one. Not because I think we should bin this competition but because some of our players form doesn’t deserve a starting place. Plus, last thing we need is an injury to a key player...

So for me...
      Kelleher
      Milner
      Phillips
      Williams
      Williams

Ox
      Jones
      Clarkson

Shaqiri
      Origi
      Minamino
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #8: Jan 05, 2021 09:20:57 pm
      I expect at least 9/10 changes for this one.

Kelleher

N Williams     Phillips     R Williams     Milner

Henderson

Chamberlain         Jones

Shaqiri     Minamino     Origi
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #9: Jan 05, 2021 09:34:13 pm
      Wonder if Villa will put out a strong team for this one?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #10: Jan 05, 2021 09:42:07 pm
      Wonder if Villa will put out a strong team for this one?

I'm just hoping we keep it to under half a dozen  :laugh: >:D :f_tongueincheek:
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #11: Jan 05, 2021 09:54:00 pm
      Well I think the last two visits there are 2-7 and 0-5?

I think we should rotate for this one. Not because I think we should bin this competition but because some of our players form doesn’t deserve a starting place. Plus, last thing we need is an injury to a key player...

So for me...
      Kelleher
      Milner
      Phillips
      Williams
      Williams

Ox
      Jones
      Clarkson

Shaqiri
      Origi
      Minamino

That's the team if he makes 11 changes. With Tsimikas and Keita injured and Milner having to play left back, it makes for a very lightweight midfield.

On the other hand, the way the fixtures fall and the FA Cup 3rd round weekend being a few days later, we actually have a decent amount of time before the next match, so it really depends on whether Jürgen wants to give all of these players a game, or if he would like to use the match to get some improved production from some of the regular XI. I could see him doing either.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #12: Jan 05, 2021 10:42:01 pm
      Will be amazed if we get to the 4th round

More worried about the rest after as we never look good after a rest

LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #13: Jan 05, 2021 10:46:09 pm
      Judging from past experiences I think it's fair to say that we don't always perform well when we have a longer rest period. Bearing that in mind, I'd be tempted to play a relatively strong 11 whilst giving the likes of Robbo and Thiago a rest.

Alisson; Trent, Williams, Fabinho, Milner; Hendo, Gini; Salah, Minamino, Mane; Firmino;

I wouldn't argue against dropping either one of Salah or Bobby either and bring in Shaq/Origi (even if it is painful watching his casual stroll for a full 90).
      I agree with those on here who are saying that a change of system/formation is required and I think this is definitely the game to try it out. Taki can be really useful as a no 10 even if he is a bit lightweight but remember how influential Yossi was in those areas.
      Someone also mentioned on here that it might be worth swapping Mane and Mo just to try something new and spice it up a bit and I like the idea of this. It would certainly give the opposition something to think about rather than knowing each individual is planning on cutting inside.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #14: Jan 05, 2021 11:08:19 pm
      I would also like to see us go on a good cup run. Although this competition obviously takes second priority, to the Premier League and Champions League which  makes sense. It is just a pity really that this is the case, certainly remembering us lift the cup in the past, I think the last time was against West Ham.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #15: Jan 06, 2021 02:00:36 am
      There's 9 days in between this game and the United. Imo you rotate where you can, but go somewhat strong. I want to win the FA cup, and I want to win the league. Why can't it be both. 9 days is a lot. I dont like the idea of our stars not playing for nearly two weeks. Last time we did that we looked uninspired.

Kellher

TAA
      Nat
      Rys
      Milner

Fab
      Jones
      Ox

Mane
      Bobby
      Taki
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #16: Jan 06, 2021 03:08:36 am
      We should take this game seriously. We need a win to get out of our slump and gain confidence.
      Trent needs to start to run out of his bad form but if his first half is same as Southampton then bring on Neco.
      Fab should continue at CB since he is going to play there a lot for us this season so another game to get used to the position against a tough attack. Rhys and Milner as the other 2 defenders.

Thiago needs to start to get him up to speed. Would love to see Shaq as the furthest forward mid. Hendo has to be there.

Regular 3 should start in attack to give them another chance to find their shooting boots.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #17: Jan 06, 2021 08:16:38 am
      Will be amazed if we get to the 4th round

More worried about the rest after as we never look good after a rest

100% but Jürgen will rotate and hopefully gets the balance right,we need a reaction and build some confidence.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #18: Jan 06, 2021 08:56:54 am
      Would love a cup run but I can see the boss making lots of changes, so would love to see Williams and Phillips at the back see what they are made-off
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #19: Jan 06, 2021 09:04:08 am
      Judging from past experiences I think it's fair to say that we don't always perform well when we have a longer rest period. Bearing that in mind, I'd be tempted to play a relatively strong 11 whilst giving the likes of Robbo and Thiago a rest.

Alisson; Trent, Williams, Fabinho, Milner; Hendo, Gini; Salah, Minamino, Mane; Firmino;

I wouldn't argue against dropping either one of Salah or Bobby either and bring in Shaq/Origi (even if it is painful watching his casual stroll for a full 90).
      I agree with those on here who are saying that a change of system/formation is required and I think this is definitely the game to try it out. Taki can be really useful as a no 10 even if he is a bit lightweight but remember how influential Yossi was in those areas.
      Someone also mentioned on here that it might be worth swapping Mane and Mo just to try something new and spice it up a bit and I like the idea of this. It would certainly give the opposition something to think about rather than knowing each individual is planning on cutting inside.

give Thiago a rest, why, he's just had a rest for 3 months hasn't he??? Perhaps don't play him the full 90, that I agree with, but don't rest him, he needs games to get back into form, same as all the players.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #20: Jan 06, 2021 09:21:40 am
      Reserves will be out for both teams I reckon. Might win, probably won't, but either way I dont think a cup run is on the agenda.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #21: Jan 06, 2021 09:23:15 am
      Over a week before the next game, absolutely no need to rest or rotate, need to regain some momentum or am I just an old fart who thinks every game/competition is important
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #22: Jan 06, 2021 09:33:44 am
      Over a week before the next game, absolutely no need to rest or rotate, need to regain some momentum or am I just an old fart who thinks every game/competition is important

No you are 100% correct on this, I'll uptick you, despite you not upticking me. ;-)
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2021 10:04:17 am by heimdall »

Quick Reply