Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre match: Aston Villa v Liverpool. FA cup Friday Jan 8th

Read 12535 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Pre match: Aston Villa v Liverpool. FA cup Friday Jan 8th
      Reply #23: Jan 06, 2021 09:57:53 am
      Anything other than full strength and we could be in trouble.  We have 9 day gap until the next game, no reason not to go strong, and try ang get that winning feeling back.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #24: Jan 06, 2021 10:29:44 am
      No you are 100% correct on this, I'll uptick you, despite you not upticking me. ;-)

Now done, first time I have liked one of your posts, strange feeling
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #25: Jan 06, 2021 10:46:22 am
      I appreciate what some are saying about enough days between games to go full team, but is it worth risking injury to the likes of Robbo and Fab?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #26: Jan 06, 2021 10:53:31 am
      I appreciate what some are saying about enough days between games to go full team, but is it worth risking injury to the likes of Robbo and Fab?

Our track record after long breaks between games isn't great
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #27: Jan 06, 2021 10:55:05 am
      Reserves will be out for both teams I reckon. Might win, probably won't, but either way I dont think a cup run is on the agenda.

This is where I'm at as well with it.

As much as I'd like a good cup run it's not really our priority and yet again we get stiffed with away Premier League opposition early on.

Might have been different if we had a full squad of players and were 15 points clear but even then the kids probably would have been playing.

This is probably the least important game in the rest of the season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #28: Jan 06, 2021 10:58:34 am
      Now done, first time I have liked one of your posts, strange feeling

;D, perhaps it will start a trend
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #29: Jan 06, 2021 11:04:20 am

Yes its worth the risk because its basically a free hit, we have to try to find our groove again, we can't have the main players going into the game against Man Utd on the back of 2 lacklustre draws and a defeat, with no goals scored in the last two.

I would also argue that the main players have not earned a rest, plus why the hell do they need one anyway, they've had plenty of time off recently, its not been a particularly gruelling Xmas period.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #30: Jan 06, 2021 12:37:15 pm
      I fully expect It be a squad of youngsters and squad players. Klopp has been bristling about the subs rule all season and will make his point in this match i think. The only thing that might stop him is the tonking we took at Villa Park earlier this season but i think he will wrap his starters in cotton wool with the longer-term view of the busy condensed season still to come.

And he'll really devalue the FA Cup when he starts Origi!   
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #31: Jan 06, 2021 12:51:04 pm

Robbo and Fab probably not but if the rest of the team need to hit form like others suggest, and I tend to agree with, then the only way that happens is playing competitive matches.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #32: Jan 06, 2021 01:42:14 pm
      Over a week before the next game, absolutely no need to rest or rotate, need to regain some momentum or am I just an old fart who thinks every game/competition is important

I think this is absolutely a game that we should field the strongest team available. Of course...if we do that and lose anyway, that could certainly create more issues.
      rossyred

• 9,096 posts | 1637 
      Reply #33: Jan 06, 2021 03:22:20 pm
      Over a week before the next game, absolutely no need to rest or rotate, need to regain some momentum or am I just an old fart who thinks every game/competition is important

Seems people split on this but can confirm I am in your camp especially with recent games yes someone could pick an injury up but so could they in training
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #34: Jan 06, 2021 06:29:55 pm

Nope, definitely not.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #35: Jan 06, 2021 06:41:34 pm
      give Thiago a rest, why, he's just had a rest for 3 months hasn't he??? Perhaps don't play him the full 90, that I agree with, but don't rest him, he needs games to get back into form, same as all the players.

It's not really resting if you're injured and in rehabilitation is it?

I think you make a fair point though that he should probably play some part. I'd just be conscious of the fact that we can't afford to have him unavailable for the United game.
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #36: Jan 06, 2021 08:08:18 pm
      Wonder if Villa will put out a strong team for this one?

I was wondering the same. I think they'll put out their strongest available. Will be desperate to beat us again and the Cup is their only realistic hope of a trophy.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #37: Jan 06, 2021 08:21:24 pm
      Reckon Jürgen will start a lot of the squad players, Neco, Kelleher, Williams along with Jones, Milner, Minamino, AOC, maybe Shaq .. whether he sprinkles in maybe 2 or 3 from Hendo/Mane/Bob/Fab/etc remains to be seen.

After complaining so much about games coming close together, players not getting enough of a break - combined with injuries - he'd really contradict himself be playing more that 2 or 3 of the first choice XI against Villa.

Would like a Cup run, but the focus has to be the PL and the CL. And with the injuries we have right now, even those are a stretch.
      Could argue, all the more reason we should have a real go in this Cup - but not sure Jürgen will see it that way.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #38: Jan 06, 2021 08:48:23 pm
      I’d play our strongest 11 so they can find their rhythm again... plus they have rested well..
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #39: Jan 06, 2021 08:59:47 pm
      Robbo never gets s break, think he got a half off in Denmark. Fab hasnt had a rest in a while either. Lose either of them for a spell and were proper f**ked
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #40: Jan 07, 2021 09:42:11 am
      NB: Team no longer available

I would play 4-1-2-2-1. Would rest AOC, Fabinho, Salah, Mane and Thiago or at least will give them only 25 minutes.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #41: Jan 07, 2021 12:36:55 pm
      Caught in two minds over this:

I can see we really need to try and get out of this slump, and playing a full strength team against a decent Villa side would be one way to do that.

However,

With the injuries we have had (and still have) we really need to pick our battles, so if going out of the FA Cup early means we have less games to play whilst minimising the risk of picking up any injuries before the United game, we should go with the squad players and maybe a couple of kids.

There are positives and negatives to both of the above, over to Jürgen.......
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #42: Jan 07, 2021 12:41:23 pm
      Caught in two minds over this:

I can see we really need to try and get out of this slump, and playing a full strength team against a decent Villa side would be one way to do that.

However,

With the injuries we have had (and still have) we really need to pick our battles, so if going out of the FA Cup early means we have less games to play whilst minimising the risk of picking up any injuries before the United game, we should go with the squad players and maybe a couple of kids.

There are positives and negatives to both of the above, over to Jürgen.......

So at least rest Matip (he's close to play one game haha) and Fabinho plus Alisson. We would be fine then. The post above yours is my selection if I was the manager.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #43: Jan 07, 2021 01:27:25 pm
      Our track record after long breaks between games isn't great

Agree, and that’s when we’re on form. 1st choice players not playing tomorrow, would be 12 days without a game prior to utd !
      Strongest available for me. At least give them the opportunity to find some cohesion.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #44: Jan 07, 2021 01:29:14 pm
      So at least rest Matip (he's close to play one game haha) and Fabinho plus Alisson. We would be fine then. The post above yours is my selection if I was the manager.

Yeah I'd go with that, with maybe Tsimikas instead of Robbo if he's available and find a place for Shaq too.

It's a tricky one, but if we're gonna go out, we might as well do it fielding a team of squad players.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #45: Jan 07, 2021 01:31:39 pm
      From memory, JK has never played close to a 1st team in the FA/League cup.

With our injury situation (albeit improving) as it is, I can't see there being more than 3-4 "regulars" starting.

I have no issues with this as it's obvious we write these "lesser" comps off; the magic of the cup no longer exists, sad as it may be for those of us who remember cup final days in the 70's & 80's as the biggest football day in the football calendar.

Meh!  Roll on the 17th & putting those manc f###ers back in their box!!

Quick Reply