Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Saints?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      9 (15.3%)
       Fabinho
      7 (11.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.7%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      4 (6.8%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      35 (59.3%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: Jan 08, 2021 09:54:54 pm

Southampton 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29835 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Southampton 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #805: Jan 06, 2021 12:16:45 am
      I see a pot and a kettle fighting in this thread. Where's my popcorn. :D
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #806: Jan 06, 2021 08:05:26 am
      James Duracell Milner has had a great career however his time with us has/is within the twilight zone.(that’s not being disrespectful)
      I certainly wasn’t disrespectful in my post to our manager or any other member of this forum, so wind your f**king neck in !

My point is that a certain Stuart Armstrong ran the midfield with his team mate Diallo and we couldn’t cope with them.
      Admittedly Armstrong is 28 but the majority of their team last night were young lads, keen to prove a point and their manager had faith in them and gave them the opportunity to play against the Champions.
      Yet we kept our two young centre halves along with a young right back cover(Williams) on the bench for the whole game.

Rant over !!

Calling our vice captain a pensioner is disrespectful,had you said he's in the twilight of his career as above then that's different,Milner's experience on reading the game and teaching our younger players how to look after yourself on and off the pitch,his influence in the dressing room,unbelievable fitness,his ability and flexibility to play in so many positions and is an asset to Jürgen and the team and i believe Jürgen will want to keep him at Anfield for as long as he is here on the coaching staff when he retires.

In my post i didn't say you were disrespectful to our manager,i said in general on the forum some people are.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #807: Jan 06, 2021 08:41:28 am

In case you don't know, the same topic has been done to death by the wum plussing you.
      They do that to encourage you to keep up your obstinacy, because they delight in stirring the sh*t.
      He might have even sent you a message - that's his usual sh*t stirring MO.

So it's really up to you if you want to go down that road of being used and manipulated by the forum wum.

I have no issue sticking you on ignore along with the wum who thinks he's using you to do his dirty work for him, because he thinks he can get a rise that way.

What are earth are you gibbering on about?
      You really, really need to let go of being determined to be proved right over the internet, it isn't a good look.

Goodbye.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #808: Jan 06, 2021 01:39:14 pm
      1 foul on Mo Salah in last 10 Liverpool PL games refereed by Andre Marriner

Southampton 1/21 .. 0
      Fulham 12/20 .. 0
      Southampton 8/19 .. 0
      Newcastle 9/19 .. 0
      Watford 12/19 .. 0
      Chelsea 7/20 .. 0
      Chelsea 9/18 .. 0
      Arsenal 11/18 .. 0
      Burnley 3/19 .. 1
      Newcastle 5/19 .. 0

Don't worry...no bias....

skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #809: Jan 06, 2021 04:07:24 pm

Southampton 1/21 .. 0
      Fulham 12/20 .. 0
      Southampton 8/19 .. 0
      Newcastle 9/19 .. 0
      Watford 12/19 .. 0
      Chelsea 7/20 .. 0
      Chelsea 9/18 .. 0
      Arsenal 11/18 .. 0
      Burnley 3/19 .. 1
      Newcastle 5/19 .. 0

Further to that, stats from the last 3 matches indicate that either we're getting a raw deal from refs regarding fouls, or we're one of the dirtiest teams in the league for committing fouls.

Against WBA, we had 78% possession & were fouled only 5 times, yet with their 22% of the ball, we fouled them 8 times.

Similarly against Newcastle, 73% possession resulted in us getting 9 fouls, compared to 13 fouls committed by us during their 27% on the ball.

The Saints match tells a similar tale, with 67% possession we only got 5 fouls compared to them getting 12 fouls for 33%.

When you think back to the number of times Salah & Mane (in particular) have been pushed pulled & bundled off the ball the past 3 games, it's crazy how few fouls we've been given.

When we are renowned for being top (or close to top) of the fair play league each season, the numbers above make no sense.

Not implying we haven't been sub-par the past few matches, but we appear to have been officiated very harshly each time.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #810: Jan 06, 2021 04:39:49 pm
      Further to that, stats from the last 3 matches indicate that either we're getting a raw deal from refs regarding fouls, or we're one of the dirtiest teams in the league for committing fouls.

Against WBA, we had 78% possession & were fouled only 5 times, yet with their 22% of the ball, we fouled them 8 times.

Similarly against Newcastle, 73% possession resulted in us getting 9 fouls, compared to 13 fouls committed by us during their 27% on the ball.

The Saints match tells a similar tale, with 67% possession we only got 5 fouls compared to them getting 12 fouls for 33%.

When you think back to the number of times Salah & Mane (in particular) have been pushed pulled & bundled off the ball the past 3 games, it's crazy how few fouls we've been given.

When we are renowned for being top (or close to top) of the fair play league each season, the numbers above make no sense.

Not implying we haven't been sub-par the past few matches, but we appear to have been officiated very harshly each time.

I think the officiating has been on the whole dreadful for us this season. I don't mind if the ref is equally poor for both sides but there appears either some appalling lack of consistency and professionalism or outright contempt and bias. Thiago puts a soft hand on their player, foul and subsequent yellow card. Salah gets his head pulled off, nothing. Robbo gets his legs taken from under him, nothing, the angry jock gets up and gets retribution - yellow card.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #811: Jan 06, 2021 05:23:48 pm
      I still can’t get my head around how Jürgen kept two 6ft whatever, young centre halves in the shape of Williams and Phillips, on the bench for the whole 90 minutes.

I can't get me head around why guitarists choose to play a Bm7b5 in the key of F over the obvious chords.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #812: Jan 06, 2021 08:16:43 pm
      I can't get me head around why guitarists choose to play a Bm7b5 in the key of F over the obvious chords.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Good job I’m not a drummer !
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #813: Jan 07, 2021 12:01:32 am

Southampton 1/21 .. 0
      Fulham 12/20 .. 0
      Southampton 8/19 .. 0
      Newcastle 9/19 .. 0
      Watford 12/19 .. 0
      Chelsea 7/20 .. 0
      Chelsea 9/18 .. 0
      Arsenal 11/18 .. 0
      Burnley 3/19 .. 1
      Newcastle 5/19 .. 0

Good research but put the chances away and clutching at straws doesn't become an issue.  Also it's becoming a bit of an issue that we don't have a plan B or C at the moment. Very disappointed that Mini not given a chance after Palace, his confidence must have been sky high but then dumped as though it didn't happen. I always thought the same to this day that the same happened to Marcovic at Sunderland. True reds will remember that he scored and then had a wonder scissor kick shot from 22 yards that hit the bar, he was then left out for the next game then never recovered. Hope same doesn't happen to Mini.
      Anyway, I share your frustration and agree we've been given a raw deal from refs but we can turn this around. Put it this way, I wouldn't like to play us.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #814: Jan 07, 2021 07:31:55 am
      Hoping Friday is the day Klopp unveils his all new system and all new lineup to totally hoodwink the belatedly-brilliant Premier League managers who have discovered all of his secrets and undone him by...defending deep.

We're just lucky nobody thought of this before, AND that heimdall is the possessor of this elite knowledge and able to explain it to all of us.

I mean, you actually wrote the following on how Jürgen should do it:
      "The solution is surprisingly easy, it just requires trust, you need to take the shackles off your players and let them play a bit freer, for example let your midfield players run with the ball instead of following the instructions to pass it always to the fullback or lob it over the top. Another variation is to let the FB defend and trust your midfielders to do the attacking to punch through the middle as well as having the occasional attack from the flanks, at the moment its almost always from the flanks which makes it easy to defend against."

Come on Jürgen! Buy in to the heimdall plan before its too late.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #815: Jan 07, 2021 08:52:01 am
      Haven't posted in a while but i at least expected everybody to be happy seeing as we are currently the Premier League Champions!

It's a COVID world at the moment and everything is strange, everything. Football isn't exempt from the weird things that are happening across the globe. We are having some bad luck but we are more than strong enough to lift the Title again, just a blip.

Keep the faith, believe.

A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all.

Keep fighting (for our team, not within the confines of the forum  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:)!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #816: Jan 07, 2021 09:38:39 am

Quite hard to foul the CB's when they are passing the ball amongst themselves though!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #817: Jan 07, 2021 10:00:16 am
      Hoping Friday is the day Klopp unveils his all new system and all new lineup to totally hoodwink the belatedly-brilliant Premier League managers who have discovered all of his secrets and undone him by...defending deep.

We're just lucky nobody thought of this before, AND that heimdall is the possessor of this elite knowledge and able to explain it to all of us.

I mean, you actually wrote the following on how Jürgen should do it:
      "The solution is surprisingly easy, it just requires trust, you need to take the shackles off your players and let them play a bit freer, for example let your midfield players run with the ball instead of following the instructions to pass it always to the fullback or lob it over the top. Another variation is to let the FB defend and trust your midfielders to do the attacking to punch through the middle as well as having the occasional attack from the flanks, at the moment its almost always from the flanks which makes it easy to defend against."

Come on Jürgen! Buy in to the heimdall plan before its too late.

so what is your answer then beyond "trust the manager"? Oh and what part of my solution do you actually disagree with?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #818: Jan 07, 2021 10:21:05 am
      We need to fight for every point and not to make the Manure take it from us.

We need to fight our bad form, injury list and VAR etc.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #819: Jan 07, 2021 01:23:56 pm
      so what is your answer then beyond "trust the manager"? Oh and what part of my solution do you actually disagree with?

Nope. Not bothering with it.

I do trust the manager.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #820: Jan 07, 2021 01:39:04 pm
      Quite hard to foul the CB's when they are passing the ball amongst themselves though!
      Right....cos we never touch the ball in opposition half do we?   :roll:
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #821: Jan 07, 2021 01:41:15 pm
      We need to fight for every point and not to make the Manure take it from us.

We need to fight our bad form, injury list and VAR etc.

I think the boys are fighting but at the moment there are to many players out of form,coming back from injuries and maybe some are not as fit as they should be(no proper preseason).We are not pressing as much as we did last season and teams are exploiting this,against Southampton in the first half if you didn't know which team was which you would have thought we were Southampton and vice versa,they pressed us everywhere on the pitch forcing errors and then second half just sat back and hit us on the break and we weren't good enough to break them down.We have to be more street wise and clever,if you are fouled then make the ref properly aware of this,get in his face so next time he might think twice and blow his whistle or consult VAR,instead we are to nice and Jürgen gets even more frustrated,Mane is an example against Newcastle his leg was held back,he didn't go down but didn't show any reaction to the ref,i don't think one player did,against Southampton was fouled numerous times and didn't get anything again no reaction to the ref just smiles and shakes of the head,it's like all the players think ah well we won't get anything anyway so why bother,the manc teams and spurs players are all over the ref when something goes against them,it's left to Jürgen at the end of the game which is pointless as nothing can change.Stop this nicey nicey approach as it never works,look at Kane he backs in to players and gets a foul everytime,Sterling falls over spectacularly and gets the foul everytime,Fernandes for united the same,make the ref make a decision by being vocal,last season Henderson,Virgil,Robbo,Fab,Mane were all vocal when the refs and VAR were being cu*ts and it mattered because we got some decisions but this season f all,city have been doing tactical fouls since Guardoila joined and still get away with it now because generally/lately he keeps quiet about the refs knowing it will make no difference,Jürgen does this season and it makes headlines for the wrong reasons even though Jürgen is right most of the time.We need that United game because the boys know they have to turn up as they are our biggest rivals and always have been since i was a kid even though they weren't challenging us for the league.There are still plenty of twists until the 23rd of May and i think City/United/spurs will likely get injuries to key players which has happened in previous seasons and our luck with injuries,VAR HAS to change surely fingers crossed so please Jürgen sign a CB or two to give us a better chance of retaining our PL trophy if not we will have to settle for big ears instead.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #822: Jan 07, 2021 01:44:35 pm
      Right....cos we never touch the ball in opposition half do we?   :roll:

I think what he's implying is that we are just keeping possession of the ball and not doing anything with it.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #823: Jan 07, 2021 04:19:49 pm
      :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Good job I’m not a drummer !

So there you go... there are things that you and I wouldn’t know. Let Jürgen play the way he wants to play because he knows more.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #824: Jan 07, 2021 04:28:06 pm
      So there you go... there are things that you and I wouldn’t know. Let Jürgen play the way he wants to play because he knows more.

Of course he knows more, but have you ever heard the expression "can't see the wood for the trees", I think Jürgen quite often fixates on one particular idea, I work with Germans quite a lot and its a trait they have, they are really brilliant people, smart hard working etc but one thing they lack is flexibility and they are very very proud and stubborn. Sometimes that is a good and sometimes not so good.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #825: Jan 07, 2021 07:35:39 pm
      Quote from weareliverpool
      It could be the biggest mistake of the season as no doubt Jota would have been playing the last 3 games,whether off the bench or from the start and he would have made an impact but instead was played in a dead rubber game and got injured

20 of the 25 man squad for the entire group stage had to go to Denmark, at least 11 of them had to play, 5 others could also feature at some point, 4 others could be left on the bench. That's 20 players that had to go there. Only 5 of the squad could be left behind, of which most of those were injured already. Contrary to popular myth, you can't just call up the tea lady for dead rubbers in Europe. We don't have very many anyway.

Instead of focusing on injuries, which can happen at any given time, Jürgen and the squad should be congratulated for not having to go away on the last night of the group needing a result. Other clubs closer to home didn't have that luxury.

Quote from 0112358
      Shooting outside the box when it is stacked with defenders is not a good idea. Yes, once in a while you get a goal or deflection or the keeper can't catch the ball and some striker scores, but the odds are just bad, therefore no one does it.

I agree with this. When Plan A fails, try Plan B. Have a few shots. They don't all zoom into Row Z. Some get deflected, some are spilled by the keeper, some might hit the woodwork so we can score on the rebound. At the very least they might give the opposition keeper something to do. Possession for possession sake is useless.

Quote from chats
      If that's the case though surely we should have been signing a centre half (or two!) the first day the window opened. Yep we will overpay but we need to get it done if we want to turn the season around. Need to get the midfielders back in midfield so we can put out a more settled side - at the moment the changes we are making within the side is just disrupting everything.

If the money men are worried then just tell them the loss of not making the CL next season will be greater than any centre half we try to sign now.

We've conceded 5 league goals since the last international break. We conceded more than that in one game before then. I know we're depleted at cb, but we usually keep the ball out of the net. Now we need to win games. A draw in this game wouldn't really be something to get very excited about.

Quote from JD
      Think we're starting to miss Fabinho in midfield now.

I don't think he, Hendo and Thiago can be our new midfield. All 3 of them are midfielders who can all do the same job. So one, if not two will have to play a different role, if they're all going to start together. That is what happened in this game.

Three weeks ago, we were 6 points clear and threatening to pull away. We've won almost as many points as we've dropped since the last break. No it's not good enough and there's going to be lots written about us between now and the next league game. For perspective though, there was a lot more written about us in 2011 when we  consolidated our bottom half league position after the trip to Blackburn. Kenny was brought in to put things right at the mancs in the cup. He barely had 24 hours to prepare for it. At least we'll have plenty of time to prepare for our next game against them. Only time will tell whether it was worth the wait this time.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #826: Jan 08, 2021 05:17:34 pm
      20 of the 25 man squad for the entire group stage had to go to Denmark, at least 11 of them had to play, 5 others could also feature at some point, 4 others could be left on the bench. That's 20 players that had to go there. Only 5 of the squad could be left behind, of which most of those were injured already. Contrary to popular myth, you can't just call up the tea lady for dead rubbers in Europe. We don't have very many anyway.

Instead of focusing on injuries, which can happen at any given time, Jürgen and the squad should be congratulated for not having to go away on the last night of the group needing a result. Other clubs closer to home didn't have that luxury.

Do you know the CL format for selecting the squads,there is an A list and a B list.
      https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/0255-0e99e723511d-e005f48485eb-1000--all-you-need-to-know-champions-league-group-stage-squads/
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #827: Jan 12, 2021 01:59:46 pm
      Quote from JD
      Think we're starting to miss Fabinho in midfield now.

I don't think he, Hendo and Thiago can be our new midfield. All 3 of them are midfielders who can all do the same job. So one, if not two will have to play a different role, if they're all going to start together. That is what happened in this game.

I think JD is bang on. Fab needs to come back to midfield. As brilliant as he has been at the back, we're missing his defensive duties and stabilizing presence in midfield. The rotations and sheer number of variations in CB and midfield pairings are taking their toll.

Fab, Thiago and Hendo / Keita in midfield should be the future. Thinking back to days of Mascherano / Alonso / Gerrard, having that defensive presence of Fab in Mascha role and the superior passing ability of Thiago in Alonso role would be brilliant.

I'm also think it's worth splashing out on an expensive new CB in Jan to allow Fab to move back. Even after Gomez and VVD come back, it'll take time for them to get back to their best. With Matib's injury record and the two youngsters being (as brilliant as they are), some way from getting to same level as VVD / Gomez, it's worth the investment/

Quick Reply