Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Villa?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      1 (1.6%)
      Rhys Williams
      0 (0%)
      Neco Williams
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      2 (3.1%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.6%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      6 (9.4%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      5 (7.8%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      48 (75%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: Jan 12, 2021 09:37:16 pm

Aston Villa 1-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23535 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,333 posts | 3360 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Aston Villa 1-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Jan 08, 2021 10:24:46 pm
      Oh Christ here come the net spend boys :f_tongueincheek:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #415: Jan 08, 2021 10:26:20 pm
      I'm saying this ownership group isn't going to keep spending as much when there is far less revenue coming in.

And I won't close my post as disrespectfully as you have. All I did was disagree with you, citing repeated comments from the manager.  Said nothing worthy of that comment.

Apologies If you took offence but us Brits can get a bit coarse over footie.

The club have admitted they lose about £3M for every home game - it’s peanuts as as most of the revenue is from TV rights be that domestic, European or International.
      Plus the online merchandising still carries on.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #416: Jan 08, 2021 10:27:25 pm
      I meant to put Thiago as mom but put Shakiri.
      What a player this guy is,  I cant think of of a player of all my years who can read a game like he does.
      A master
      Well done to Shaq too. Another player who's doesnt just try and run or kick it into the brick wall

Him and Thiago 2 players who slow it down and speed it up at the right times.

Without those 2 it looked like more of the same.

2 players there with some craft.

Yeah Shak has done it all  and seen it all, every respect to him, like Milly, just tries to keep going
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #417: Jan 08, 2021 10:29:18 pm
      Because money was involved, act as sarcastic as you want, but what you're saying is soundjng like excuses again as to why we won't sign a defender. And I'm not talking emergency signings. A point made to me the other day by my dad's mate watching the saints game is that the continual f**king around with the defence playing fab and hendo there will be what costs us the league.

It's not sarcasm. The reason being given is that cash is short BECAUSE of CoVid, so when you say it's the same argument, well it's not.

But OK, moving on to just money, the leadership of the club either feel they can responsibly spend at a given time, for a given need, or they can't. They obviously felt they could spend on Thiago and Jota, and unless Jürgen is just blowing smoke up everyone's ass, then they don't feel they can do that now after another half a season of (almost) no gate revenue and no assurance of it resuming any time soon.

If there are financials available that disprove what they are saying then let's see them. I'll take Jürgen's word for it at this point (and if we do buy someone this month for the kind of money you'd need for a top defender - then I'll know it was BS).
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #418: Jan 08, 2021 10:30:26 pm

The club have admitted they lose about £3M for every home game - it’s peanuts as as most of the revenue is from TV rights be that domestic, European or International.

To start, please familiarize yourself with the difference between revenue and profit.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #419: Jan 08, 2021 10:31:06 pm

No apology needed, but thanks. It's part of all of us caring about it.

I wonder how much we're losing per match with no fans coming in.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #420: Jan 08, 2021 10:33:01 pm
      So who do we play in midfield then in one of our most intense competitive games of the season?

A just fit Thiago and a just fit Shaqiri next to Gini?

This is the real world buddy and in this world Hendo plays against the Mancs every time.

Why not Jürgen needs to change something and i think he will do something different.We know how the Mancs will play,park the bus and counter,i would play Thiago(no doubts about his fitness),shaq(rarely lets us down and his free kicks are world class)and Gini(for his work rate,holding of the ball and he's one for the big games),for me that midfield has bucket loads of creativity and workrate as they will likely play Fred,Pogba and Mctominay.Just my view Buddy,Jürgen will probably play Hendo anyway so if he plays well(hope so) then you can come on and said i told you so.
      Why did you ask how long i have supported Liverpool?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #421: Jan 08, 2021 10:40:58 pm
      Took 2 draws 1 loss and an a win not in the right fashion for an implosion among fans after ending a 30 year wait for a title...

Good win next week will not only be great but interesting to see negative souls become the most positive again
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #422: Jan 08, 2021 10:42:12 pm
      To start, please familiarize yourself with the difference between revenue and profit.

Familiarise yourself with the concept that without revenue there is no profit

I won’t charge you for that free tutorial.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #423: Jan 08, 2021 10:43:04 pm
      Oh Christ here come the net spend boys :f_tongueincheek:

Apparently Anfield has been remodeled and expanded by volunteers and donated materials. Kindness at work.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #424: Jan 08, 2021 10:43:16 pm
      Jürgen on tonight's game:

"We scored an early goal, a nice one, and then we didn’t play quick enough anymore, didn’t move fast enough, didn’t play the right spaces. These are football problems and we solved the football problems with football in the second half. So, I’m really fine with it. It was a tricky one. I’ve never before had this kind of challenge in my life, that you have no idea who you’re playing against – absolutely no idea; that you prepare a meeting and then you can throw all the preparation, all the videos in the bin and then you have to start new. That’s football and academy players are good players. Last year we played here with our kids and they gave Aston Villa a proper game as well. That’s just how it is. These young kids can all play football and if you don’t play well against them you have problems. Second half, we played exactly like we should have played from the beginning and that’s why we won really, the right way."

Of course I fully expect he's not so positive when speaking with the team directly and behind closed doors.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #425: Jan 08, 2021 10:59:21 pm
      Surprised to see how strong our line up was but I was delighted. I hope klopp takes the fa cup serious this year.

Tragic first half though. We really do struggle breaking teams down and it doesn’t matter if they’re premier league, league 2 or an academy side. Put ten men behind the ball and sit on the edge of their box and ask us to break them down and we really do struggle.

I don’t want to focus in too much on any individuals tonight but I thought Henderson was really, really poor. And I find that quite often in these sort of games and you see that he isn’t particularly a very good footballer. You see it when he plays for england too because most of the sides they play sit in as well. He gave the ball away several times and I was happy klopp pulled him at half time.

I also don’t think neco williams will ever be good enough for us either. I don’t think he had a really poor game or anything but he’s had several opportunities now and he doesn’t really do or offer much. He just plods along and I think we’ve moved on now where every player who features for us has to be a top player who contributes and he doesn’t for me.  That goes for minamino too. He doesn’t do anywhere near enough when he plays and because our standard is so so high now, they stick out like a sore thumb.

Second half I thought we were much better. The introduction of Thiago definitely made a difference and we started to pass the ball a bit better. Villas kids clearly got tired too.

Job done and into the next round but klopp and his staff really need to work out how we find a way through these ten man defences.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #426: Jan 08, 2021 11:08:07 pm
      Why not Jürgen needs to change something and i think he will do something different.We know how the Mancs will play,park the bus and counter,i would play Thiago(no doubts about his fitness),shaq(rarely lets us down and his free kicks are world class)and Gini(for his work rate,holding of the ball and he's one for the big games),for me that midfield has bucket loads of creativity and workrate as they will likely play Fred,Pogba and Mctominay.Just my view Buddy,Jürgen will probably play Hendo anyway so if he plays well(hope so) then you can come on and said i told you so.
      Why did you ask how long i have supported Liverpool?

Because if you supported Liverpool for longer than the last three weeks you would know how important Hendo is to this club, and what a brilliant captain he is, and wouldn't call for him to he dropped.

And no Jürgen won't "probably play Hendo anyway", he will absolutely no doubt play him because unlike you he along with the majority of Liverpool supporters value what Hendo brings every time he steps out on to the pitch with the armband on.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #427: Jan 08, 2021 11:14:53 pm
      Surprised to see how strong our line up was but I was delighted. I hope klopp takes the fa cup serious this year.

Tragic first half though. We really do struggle breaking teams down and it doesn’t matter if they’re premier league, league 2 or an academy side. Put ten men behind the ball and sit on the edge of their box and ask us to break them down and we really do struggle.

I don’t want to focus in too much on any individuals tonight but I thought Henderson was really, really poor. And I find that quite often in these sort of games and you see that he isn’t particularly a very good footballer. You see it when he plays for england too because most of the sides they play sit in as well. He gave the ball away several times and I was happy klopp pulled him at half time.

I also don’t think neco williams will ever be good enough for us either. I don’t think he had a really poor game or anything but he’s had several opportunities now and he doesn’t really do or offer much. He just plods along and I think we’ve moved on now where every player who features for us has to be a top player who contributes and he doesn’t for me.  That goes for minamino too. He doesn’t do anywhere near enough when he plays and because our standard is so so high now, they stick out like a sore thumb.

Second half I thought we were much better. The introduction of Thiago definitely made a difference and we started to pass the ball a bit better. Villas kids clearly got tired too.

Job done and into the next round but klopp and his staff really need to work out how we find a way through these ten man defences.

Oh ffs another Hendo is not a good footballer sh*t talk post.

Hendo the captain of the best Liverpool team in a generation is not a good footballer.

Arguably our player of the season in our first league title win in 30 years is not a good footballer.

10 years later and he still has this utter nonsense sprouted about him it's so F***ing laughable.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #428: Jan 08, 2021 11:16:20 pm
      Because if you supported Liverpool for longer than the last three weeks you would know how important Hendo is to this club, and what a brilliant captain he is, and wouldn't call for him to he dropped.

And no Jürgen won't "probably play Hendo anyway", he will absolutely no doubt play him because unlike you he along with the majority of Liverpool supporters value what Hendo brings every time he steps out on to the pitch with the armband on.

A lot of reds are also blinded when he plays poorly because of that reason, he’s the captain. Gerrard was the same too but obviously to a much lesser extent.

One of my best mates is a huge admirer of Henderson but he just will not have it if he ever has a poor game. He just won’t accept it. I’ve just been speaking to him and I mentioned how many times Hendo gave the ball away and he was confused and asked what I was on about. It’s like it doesn’t register with some people, it’s really strange.

Tonight Henderson was very poor. And most of the time when we play in these high percentage possession games I think he’s poor too.

For united hes one of the first names on the team sheet because he’s fantastic at pressing and tracking players which will be essential against them. But against bus parkers he really struggles and the difference when Thiago came on was evident.
      Scottbot

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #429: Jan 08, 2021 11:17:10 pm
      Took 2 draws 1 loss and an a win not in the right fashion for an implosion among fans after ending a 30 year wait for a title...

Good win next week will not only be great but interesting to see negative souls become the most positive again

Aye, you only have to listen to the tone of some of these posts, dripping in disapproval, so let down and offended by recent performances.

Chuffed to get through, bit iffy in the first half against a young side were organised and ran their socks off. One way traffic for the entire 2nd half and comfortably through.

Great to see Thiago get another 45 under his belt, what a player he will be if he can stay fit. Same but different to Xabi but simply a joy to watch. Minutes also for Ox and Shaq has to be a good thing. 
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #430: Jan 08, 2021 11:17:49 pm
      Oh ffs another Hendo is not a good footballer sh*t talk post.

Hendo the captain of the best Liverpool team in a generation is not a good footballer.

Arguably our player of the season in our first league title win in 30 years is not a good footballer.

10 years later and he still has this utter nonsense sprouted about him it's so f**king laughable.

Technically, he is a very limited and average footballer. It’s his professionalism and athleticism that has got him to where he is today. Along with a world class coach and world class team mates.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,222 posts | 747 
      Reply #431: Jan 08, 2021 11:23:02 pm
      I would simply like to say glad we are through to the next round of the competition. I cannot comment on individual performances, as I did not see any of the game.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #432: Jan 08, 2021 11:27:49 pm
      A lot of reds are also blinded when he plays poorly because of that reason, he’s the captain. Gerrard was the same too but obviously to a much lesser extent.

One of my best mates is a huge admirer of Henderson but he just will not have it if he ever has a poor game. He just won’t accept it. I’ve just been speaking to him and I mentioned how many times Hendo gave the ball away and he was confused and asked what I was on about. It’s like it doesn’t register with some people, it’s really strange.

Tonight Henderson was very poor. And most of the time when we play in these high percentage possession games I think he’s poor too.

For united hes one of the first names on the team sheet because he’s fantastic at pressing and tracking players which will be essential against them. But against bus parkers he really struggles and the difference when Thiago came on was evident.

The entire team is playing like sh*t the last few weeks apart from Thiago's appearances off the bench not just Hendo. He is forced into making poor passes from deep as the movement from our forwards is piss poor lately and he doesn't have the world class passing range Thiago has. With no creative player in midfield Hendo will always look poor like when he plays next to Milner and Gini.

Put him next to Fab, Thiago, or Naby it takes away the pressure of having to create from deep, and allows him to concentrate on dominating possession and spread the play out wide.

With a fully fit Thiago next to him we will see what Hendo does best for us.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #433: Jan 08, 2021 11:34:47 pm
      Technically, he is a very limited and average footballer. It’s his professionalism and athleticism that has got him to where he is today. Along with a world class coach and world class team mates.

I disagree that he is both limited technically and an average footballer.

He has well above average range of passing, and very high game intelligence.

Not Thaigo level passing of course but then Thiago could never press and win possession like Hendo does.

If they can form an understanding together over the next few games I think they will make a brilliant midfield partnership.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #434: Jan 08, 2021 11:36:06 pm
      The entire team is playing like sh*t the last few weeks apart from Thiago's appearances off the bench not just Hendo. He is forced into making poor passes from deep as the movement form our forwards is piss poor lately and he doesn't have the world class passing range Thiago has. With no creative player in midfield Hendo will always look poor like when he plays next to Milner and Gini.

Put him next to Fab, Thiago, or Naby it takes away the pressure of having to create from deep, and allows him to concentrate on dominating possession and spread the play out wide.

With a fully fit Thiago next to him we will see what Hendo does best for us.

We see what hendo does best for us when we play against teams who have a go. His energy is his main asset. When teams sit in against us then his energy is taken away from him so we rely on his football ability which as I’ve said is average.

What we’ve seen in the last few games is teams playing a back six against us pretty much, camped on their 18 yard box, putting two players on each of our front three. Then they play a midfield sat 5 yards in front of them, reducing our space in the final third.

Teams did it to city 2-3 years ago when they were flying under pep but that actually played into citys hands because they had David silva who is a little wizard and Aguero who was still great and deadly in tight spaces.

You are quite right by saying the whole team has been below standard of late, I agree with you. But the way the opposition have set up against us then we rely heavily more on the midfield and it’s they’ve been very poor, which Henderson has been a big part of.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #435: Jan 08, 2021 11:55:12 pm

weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #436: Jan 09, 2021 12:18:11 am

I have supported Liverpool for nearly 40 years Buddy and no player is to good/big to be dropped if they are not performing and no player is bigger than the club,i said in my previous posts that i think Hendo is a good player and good captain hence i do value him and what he brings to the team but he's completely out of form. Hendo was by far our worst player tonight against Villa's kids and i don't believe Jürgen took him off to rest him,he took him off because he was our worst player by a country mile,his crossing and all round game has been poor for a while and we needed Thiago on to create something different, he took Mane and Salah off as the job was done and to rest them.Just because people don't agree with each other doesn't make them less of a supporter and doesn't make them right or wrong it's just what that person is seeing and posting about,we all want our team to play well and win.i thought Hendo was our player of season last season but at times has struggled this season but no doubt everyone can see he still gives 100% effort.

Quick Reply