Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Fixture congestion

Read 3603 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Fixture congestion
      Jan 09, 2021 03:09:35 pm
      Not sure if this is being discussed somewhere else or not? Our fixture list, before we return to champions league action, is potentially 9 games in 27 days starting from Utd next Sunday.

After utd we play on Thursday v Burnley before what will sutely be a Sunday or Monday FA  cup tie. After the cup we play Spurs on the Thursday 28th and West ham Sunday 31st. Into Feb then its Brighton on Wednesday 3rd followed by City on the Sunday. The FA cup  5th round is fixed for Wednesday after the city game with Leicester on the Saturday.

Potentially 9 games in 27 days, definitely 8. And thats before we play Leipzig, oh and the Derby is the weekend after Leipzig.

Hell of a schedule. One that will surely impact on what were left with come May. It is what it is and our rivals are in the same boat.

Can you see us coping with this run considering our small enough squad and the likeliehood that well get more injuries
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Re: Fixture congestion
      Reply #1: Jan 09, 2021 04:24:09 pm
      Doesn’t need to be said really but Fabinho is our biggest worry at the moment, he basically has to play every game for the rest of the season, can’t see a Williams/Phillips back line ever being used. Going to be a lot of tired legs with that run and will likely see a lot of points dropped by all teams, just about who copes best really.

Hopefully Jota, Ox, Shaq and Matip stay fit once their all back but let’s be honest, that’s a big ask (not so for Jota but the other 3).

Think there will be a lot of points dropped by all teams, just about who copes best.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #2: Jan 09, 2021 04:43:33 pm
      is potentially 9 games in 27 days starting from Utd next Sunday.

Much more likely that kids will be used in the next round of the FA Cup so that can be scratched from that list IMO.

Next 8 league games are tough - I think it's the toughest period of the season and I think we just need to stay in contention during that time.  Anything extra such as leading the table would be a bonus.

Doesn’t need to be said really but Fabinho is our biggest worry at the moment, he basically has to play every game for the rest of the season

Yep - bit of a knife edge really with him and sadly I don't expect him to play fully through the rest of the season.  We really have to get a centre-back in this window.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #3: Jan 09, 2021 04:55:33 pm
      Much more likely that kids will be used in the next round of the FA Cup so that can be scratched from that list IMO.

Next 8 league games are tough - I think it's the toughest period of the season and I think we just need to stay in contention during that time.  Anything extra such as leading the table would be a bonus.

Yep - bit of a knife edge really with him and sadly I don't expect him to play fully through the rest of the season.  We really have to get a centre-back in this window.

The kids won't be used though will they we have plenty of players who need games who are not kids
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #4: Jan 09, 2021 08:44:34 pm
      It’s a crazy season.
      I think next season, if covid is still around, the league should be reduced to 19 fixtures where everyone plays each other once at a neutral ground. No fans, or a couple of thousand at best, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

I just think have 38 games in empty stadiums is a pointless strain on players. Especially when international football friendlies carry on.

Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #5: Jan 09, 2021 10:45:20 pm
      It’s a crazy season.
      I think next season, if covid is still around, the league should be reduced to 19 fixtures where everyone plays each other once at a neutral ground. No fans, or a couple of thousand at best, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

I just think have 38 games in empty stadiums is a pointless strain on players. Especially when international football friendlies carry on.
      I'm sure the players would be so eager to play for half wages
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #6: Jan 10, 2021 06:45:24 am
      Klopp isn't going to rotate heavily in league games, so no need to play kids when fringe players will be in need of games. If we stay fit and can get a capable CB in the next 7 days we will be fine. Jota will be vack soon and Thiago us like a January signing. He will change the season for us if he plays.

Praying we get a few good draws in the cup. We're due a nice run, and I'd love to get another FA cup on the wall
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #7: Jan 10, 2021 12:08:12 pm
      The squad is fine to cope as well as any other clubs in same situe. only issue is the obvious one with our CB's injured.

I think its maybe time to just pick either philips or williams and stick with them stop changing the defence so much.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #8: Jan 10, 2021 01:28:42 pm
      I'm sure the players would be so eager to play for half wages

They wouldn’t be on half wages.
      If this season is null and voided do you think the players will have to hand back all their wages from the season?
      It’ll be the fans that stump the windfall if anyone.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: Jan 10, 2021 03:05:01 pm
      We play our top guys even when don't need to. I'm glad fixture congestion's not an issue for us :)
      liverpoolcore
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 104 posts | 10 
      Reply #10: Jan 10, 2021 03:47:24 pm
      The kids won't be used though will they we have plenty of players who need games who are not kids
      Shaq needs to be played as much as possible imo, mans brilliant when given adequate time on the pitch
      liverpoolcore
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 104 posts | 10 
      Reply #11: Jan 10, 2021 03:49:03 pm
      The squad is fine to cope as well as any other clubs in same situe. only issue is the obvious one with our CB's injured.

I think its maybe time to just pick either philips or williams and stick with them stop changing the defence so much.
      ill go with Phillips, he is more confident in the air, williams is still young to get even better in the future
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #12: Jan 10, 2021 04:13:25 pm
      ill go with Phillips, he is more confident in the air, williams is still young to get even better in the future

kind of feeling that too, but I suspect  they fancy williams more longer term, as he has started more.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #13: Jan 10, 2021 04:19:55 pm

I see Williams as a liability. I just don't think the kid has top league talent. He's just SOOO slow. Makes Phillips look quick.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #14: Jan 11, 2021 07:05:07 am
      I see Williams as a liability. I just don't think the kid has top league talent. He's just SOOO slow. Makes Phillips look quick.

Yeah Carra was slow as well, with the acceleration of a milk float. But you make time, by thinking two yards ahead of your opponent.
      That only comes with experience though.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: Jan 19, 2021 02:44:55 pm
      Betwee now and Feb 7th we play Thursdsy, Sunday, Thursday, Sunday,, Wednesday, Sunday. The last game in that run is city. A must win. But winning it will have less impact if we dont win the ones before it.

Klopp will have to be smart here with selections, as well as praying we get no mire knocks.

Think if fit Matip must play v Burnley to free Fab back to midfield, but then not play v utd in the cup. We need to utilise Chamberlain and Minamino, right time right game right position..

Perhaps our biggest period coming up. Could be 5th if Everton win later. So were no longer the hunted so we better get ready to hunt.

If we get a run of wins in this period including City, and leicester the week after, with Jota coming back in to, well not only be feeling better but the others around us will have that bit more self doubt to.

Huge 2 and a half weeks on the horizon
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #16: Jan 19, 2021 03:39:36 pm
      Im looking forward to more games, I think we have lost some rhythm the past few weeks, due to long breaks between games. 3 points from 12 not good enough, but if we start winning again, it wont matter.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #17: Apr 01, 2021 11:59:05 pm
      The latest fixture changes were announced, and the trip to Leeds is the 4th Monday night fixture this season imo, very unusual for a team in Europe.

The game v Villa is our first, probably only 3pm ko on a Saturday this season. Time was when it was the only ko time going.

Anyway, maybe we should guess just how many times next week, will we be reminded of how many times we've lost at home this season, across all media outlets?

Quick Reply