Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

21 for 21

Read 4240 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      21 for 21
      Jan 11, 2021 04:17:23 pm
      With it being the 21st year of the 21st century Iā€™ve compiled a list of the best 21 players at the club in that time.

Iā€™ve tried to be as fair as possible and judge only on standards and appearances made. Iā€™ve counted only appearance made from he 2000/2001 season and goals scored from that season for players who played at that time. Iā€™ve included goals scored and trophies won though I did not use these as determining factors in my selection. While its always easy to go to goal scorers or flair players Iā€™ve tried to be as fair as possible to defenders, goalkeepers and ā€œless attractiveā€ midfielders.
      Based on the above Iā€™ve omitted players like Robbie Fowler who though he was at the club at various times in the century I would have included him based on the heart more then the head had I done so. Finally, when I had my final 21 it was perhaps more difficult to position them within the list then it was to pick the 21 individuals so Iā€™m not expecting agreement with my list ā€¦

21: Emile Heskey. Appearances: 223. Goals:60. Trophies: 5.  Service: 5 years 
      Formed a formidable partnership with Michael Owen at the turn of the century. Had pace and power. Scored some important, and impressive goals without having a spectacular goal to game ratio. Important part of the team that won the treble and brought the club back into the ranks in Europe

20: Phillipe Coutinho. Appearances: 201. Goals:54. Trophies: 0.  Service: 5 years 
      Wonā€™t be the most popular choice on the list but he was a gem of a player. Scorer, and creator, of wonderful goals

19: Didi Hamann. Appearances: 250. Goals: 10. Trophies: 8.  Service: 5 1/2 years 
      The big German was a bit of a surprise signing at the time but what a signing. His style is probably unfairly labelled as defensive midfielder. H e was well capable of getting forward, smart with the ball, and scored 1 or 2 belters. Complimented those around him really well

18: Michael Owen. Appearances: 169. Goals: 98. Trophies: 5.  Service: 4 1/2 years 
      Like Coutinho this wonā€™t be a popular shout as his circumstances for leaving and indeed where he ended up at one-point wonā€™t endear him to the fans, but nobody can take away what he gave the club in his spell here. Between 98 and 02 arguable he was unplayable. Electrifying pace and a fantastic finisher. Arguable if the 2001 breakthrough happens without him. Shame he never had that second spell

17: Lucas Leiva. Appearances: 346. Goals: 7. Trophies: 0.  Service: 10 years 
      The only negative about Lucas was that he was injured in 2012 to miss out on winning a well-deserved trophy for his spell at the club. Signed as an attacking midfielder it would be in the defensive midfield role that he would establish himself. After a difficult start to his career he would become a fan favourite. Hard working and honest. An adopted scouser.

16: Dirk Kuyt. Appearances: 285. Goals: 71. Trophies: 1.  Service: 6 years 
      Like Lucas, Kuyty was a fan favourite through his sheer work rate and desire. Loved scoring a peno against the bitters to. The bigger the match the better Dirk Kuyt was

15: Trent Alexander Arnold. Appearances: 153. Goals: 8. Trophies: 4.  Service: 4 1/2 years 
      Scary that a 20-year-old, and a full back at that, waltzā€™s into a place in the top 15 players in the Club over the last 21 years. So much potential. I wont comment too much on one with a whole career ahead of him other then to say when if I was to re do this list at 50 years, he would be much higher up the list.

14: Alisson Becker: Appearances: 106. Goals: N/A. Trophies: 3.  Service: 2 1/2 years 
      Sander Westerveld, Jerzy Dudek, Pepe Reina, Chris Kirkland, Scott Carson, Simon Mignolet, all came in, all had qualities, but all had faults or mistakes in them, not this one. Arguably the best in the world at this point in time. History will show how vital he was to ending our wait for the title. He will be a reason we win more.

13: Xabi Alonso:  Appearances: 210. Goals: 19. Trophies: 3. Service: 5 years 
      My favourite type of player. The one who see the pass that nobody else sees, and then executes it perfectly. Crazy to think Rafa was willing to trade him in for Gareth Barry. Alonsoā€™s class in the middle-allowed Stevie to play a more attacking game, which reaped massive reward. Scored the equaliser in Istanbul in 05. Perhaps though the game where he showed his true worth was away at Juventus in the quarter final of that year. His first game back after a long injury lay off, and with Stevie out injured, he bossed it against a much fancied and very talented Juve. Showed his excellence at Real and Bayern which would have you wonder what more we could have achieved with him. Top player

12: Fernando Torres: Appearances: 142. Goals: 81. Trophies: 0.  Service: 3 1/2 years   
      Speaks volumes of the impact he had that in a short enough spell which led to no trophies before leaving for Chelsea that I rate him at number 12. This guy was exceptional for his time here. Supreme finisher with explosive speed. Loved the sight of Vidic. From that opening goal v Chelsea he had me. Shame it ended the way it did.

11: Roberto Firmino: Appearances: 269. Goals: 83. Trophies: 4.  Service: 5 1/2 years   
      While one or two on the list might raise an eyebrow Bobby being only 11 might do likewise! His past few months wonā€™t go down as his best but what he brought before that and what he brings overall to this group canā€™t be overstated. Technically brilliant with great awareness of his teammates around him and his work rate for the team. Just a top top player

10: Gini Wijnaldum: Appearances: 211. Goals: 21. Trophies: 4.  Service: 4 1/2 years   
      When heā€™s gone people will realise just how good this fella is. Just a total footballer. History will most likely remember him as scoring the 2 goals off the bench v Barcelona in 2019, but he is so much more then that

9: Sami Hyppia:  Appearances: 418. Goals: 33. Trophies: 8.  Service: 9 1/2 years   
      His response to being told he was losing the captaincy to Stevie says all you need to know about this man. A true legend. A rock at the back and that was including times when he was surrounded by people who perhaps should never have been Liverpool players. If a list was compiled of all-time club bargains Sami would be a good shout for number 1. Class act in every way

8: Andy Robertson: Appearances: 151. Goals: 5. Trophies: 4.  Service: 3 1/2 years   
      I was delighted we signed him. Not because I thought he would be as good as he is I simply thought at the price we paid we have gotten a good player who in time as we develop he will drop down the ranks and be a very good 2nd choiceā€¦..develop he did, into arguably the best left back in the game. Pure energy and will to win. I should probably use his assists rather than his goals scored for his stats. Proof that every Liverpool team should have a Scot in it   

7: Luis Suarez: Appearances: 133. Goals: 82. Trophies: 1.  Service: 3 1/4 years   
      Genius. Flawed or otherwise. If I was any good Id have a video showing his goals. Just a different animal. For some heā€™s in the discussion with Kenny as our greatest ever ability wise and that probably best sums up how good he was.

6: Jamie Carragher: Appearances: 629. Goals: 2. Trophies: 9.  Service: 13 years   
      Only Alisson has scored less goals then Carra (unless I include own goals!) But only Stevie G gave longer service, and donā€™t forget Carra predates 2000. Right back, centre back, left back, centre mid. Played them all, and played them all solidly. Probably the word that sums him up best, solid. When I think of Carra I think last ditch tackles v AC Milan in 05 so tired the tackle led to cramps, but he gets up and goes again. Vocal, a captain with no armband needed. When all is said and done and all time teams are picked hell probably miss out more often then not to Hansen and VVD but anyone who did select him wouldnā€™t be far wrong.

5: Sadio Mane:  Appearances: 194. Goals: 90. Trophies: 4.  Service: 4 1/2 years 
      At number 5 is number 6 favourite current player. Thatā€™s some accolade. Another is that heā€™s the closest player to John Barnes we have seen. Nothing I can add to make him sound any better. World class

4: Jordan Henderson:  Appearances: 384. Goals: 30. Trophies: 5.  Service: 9 1/2 years       
      Similar to Robbo, when we signed him, I thought yes good signing. But I didnā€™t see future captain who lifts the league to end the drought. And what a leader he has become. Another player who probably had to adapt his game over time, but he has become a top midfielder, reliable and an excellent leader. I do however think, like Gini, some will only realise just how important he is when he is no longer there   

3: Mo Salah: Appearances: 177. Goals: 111. Trophies: 4.  Service: 3 1/2 years       
      Look at the goals to game return. Special. I admit, when we signed him my first reaction was, we donā€™t need him we have Sadio and we have Bobby and Coutinho and Sturridge. Man was my face red!! No matter what the future holds from this point on the impact of Mo Salah on Liverpool football club is massive

2: Virgil Van Dijk: Appearances: 130. Goals: 13. Trophies: 4.  Service: 3 years       
      I mentioned a value for money list regarding our signings. Sami Hyppia would be high up on that list, but still behind Virgil Van Dijk. His impact while well regarded by everyone, is probably still underestimated. A phenom. Plays the game at his pace and nothing you can do about it. No forward has the better of him. He reads the game like he had the script before kick-off. His coolness in all situation is unique. A beast in the air. Doesnā€™t mis time tackles. Great vision for a pass.

1: Steven Gerrard:  Appearances: 662. Goals: 184. Trophies: 9.  Service: 15 1/2 years
      Thought long and hard about placing him somewhere else, just to be different, but I wanted to do the list the right way, and that can mean only Stevie being number 1.  Everything that can be said about him has been said. Just a pure football talent who would have graced any side of any generation be it Liverpool or elsewhere. Who could have for seen the impact he would have when he debuted off the bench as a skinny little kid with a funny haircut. Who foreseen the worldies he scores after his first one when he slalomed past Des Walker all those years ago? Yes, we came close to losing him, twice, thankfully we kept him. Istanbul will be forever in the memory but so to will the fact he missed out on a premier league. Most likely the best, and most deserving player to have never won it. But maybe, just maybe thereā€™s another chapter in Stevieā€™s Liverpool story that sees him win more then one premier league title in another guise. But until that day comes Ill rate him as the greatest Liverpool player of the 21st century   
      +16
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,935 posts | 501 
      Re: 21 for 21
      Reply #1: Jan 11, 2021 05:49:33 pm
      Hard to argue with that list. Rankings are about right as well. (Wouldn't have Carragher as high up, that's about it.)

Mascherano could have been in there, but maybe wasn't here as long as those that edged him out. Agger maybe?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Jan 11, 2021 06:15:38 pm
      With it being the 21st year of the 21st century Iā€™ve compiled a list of the best 21 players at the club in that time.

Iā€™ve tried to be as fair as possible and judge only on standards and appearances made. Iā€™ve counted only appearance made from he 2000/2001 season and goals scored from that season for players who played at that time. Iā€™ve included goals scored and trophies won though I did not use these as determining factors in my selection. While its always easy to go to goal scorers or flair players Iā€™ve tried to be as fair as possible to defenders, goalkeepers and ā€œless attractiveā€ midfielders.
      Based on the above Iā€™ve omitted players like Robbie Fowler who though he was at the club at various times in the century I would have included him based on the heart more then the head had I done so. Finally, when I had my final 21 it was perhaps more difficult to position them within the list then it was to pick the 21 individuals so Iā€™m not expecting agreement with my list ā€¦

Formed a formidable partnership with Michael Owen at the turn of the century. Had pace and power. Scored some important, and impressive goals without having a spectacular goal to game ratio. Important part of the team that won the treble and brought the club back into the ranks in Europe

20: Phillipe Coutinho. Appearances: 201. Goals:54. Trophies: 0.  Service: 5 years 
      Wonā€™t be the most popular choice on the list but he was a gem of a player. Scorer, and creator, of wonderful goals

19: Didi Hamann. Appearances: 250. Goals: 10. Trophies: 8.  Service: 5 1/2 years 
      The big German was a bit of a surprise signing at the time but what a signing. His style is probably unfairly labelled as defensive midfielder. H e was well capable of getting forward, smart with the ball, and scored 1 or 2 belters. Complimented those around him really well

18: Michael Owen. Appearances: 169. Goals: 98. Trophies: 5.  Service: 4 1/2 years 
      Like Coutinho this wonā€™t be a popular shout as his circumstances for leaving and indeed where he ended up at one-point wonā€™t endear him to the fans, but nobody can take away what he gave the club in his spell here. Between 98 and 02 arguable he was unplayable. Electrifying pace and a fantastic finisher. Arguable if the 2001 breakthrough happens without him. Shame he never had that second spell

The only negative about Lucas was that he was injured in 2012 to miss out on winning a well-deserved trophy for his spell at the club. Signed as an attacking midfielder it would be in the defensive midfield role that he would establish himself. After a difficult start to his career he would become a fan favourite. Hard working and honest. An adopted scouser.

Like Lucas, Kuyty was a fan favourite through his sheer work rate and desire. Loved scoring a peno against the bitters to. The bigger the match the better Dirk Kuyt was

15: Trent Alexander Arnold. Appearances: 153. Goals: 8. Trophies: 4.  Service: 4 1/2 years 
      Scary that a 20-year-old, and a full back at that, waltzā€™s into a place in the top 15 players in the Club over the last 21 years. So much potential. I wont comment too much on one with a whole career ahead of him other then to say when if I was to re do this list at 50 years, he would be much higher up the list.

14: Alisson Becker: Appearances: 106. Goals: N/A. Trophies: 3.  Service: 2 1/2 years 
      Sander Westerveld, Jerzy Dudek, Pepe Reina, Chris Kirkland, Scott Carson, Simon Mignolet, all came in, all had qualities, but all had faults or mistakes in them, not this one. Arguably the best in the world at this point in time. History will show how vital he was to ending our wait for the title. He will be a reason we win more.

My favourite type of player. The one who see the pass that nobody else sees, and then executes it perfectly. Crazy to think Rafa was willing to trade him in for Gareth Barry. Alonsoā€™s class in the middle-allowed Stevie to play a more attacking game, which reaped massive reward. Scored the equaliser in Istanbul in 05. Perhaps though the game where he showed his true worth was away at Juventus in the quarter final of that year. His first game back after a long injury lay off, and with Stevie out injured, he bossed it against a much fancied and very talented Juve. Showed his excellence at Real and Bayern which would have you wonder what more we could have achieved with him. Top player

12: Fernando Torres: Appearances: 142. Goals: 81. Trophies: 0.  Service: 3 1/2 years   
      Speaks volumes of the impact he had that in a short enough spell which led to no trophies before leaving for Chelsea that I rate him at number 12. This guy was exceptional for his time here. Supreme finisher with explosive speed. Loved the sight of Vidic. From that opening goal v Chelsea he had me. Shame it ended the way it did.

11: Roberto Firmino: Appearances: 269. Goals: 83. Trophies: 4.  Service: 5 1/2 years   
      While one or two on the list might raise an eyebrow Bobby being only 11 might do likewise! His past few months wonā€™t go down as his best but what he brought before that and what he brings overall to this group canā€™t be overstated. Technically brilliant with great awareness of his teammates around him and his work rate for the team. Just a top top player

10: Gini Wijnaldum: Appearances: 211. Goals: 21. Trophies: 4.  Service: 4 1/2 years   
      When heā€™s gone people will realise just how good this fella is. Just a total footballer. History will most likely remember him as scoring the 2 goals off the bench v Barcelona in 2019, but he is so much more then that

9: Sami Hyppia:  Appearances: 418. Goals: 33. Trophies: 8.  Service: 9 1/2 years   
      His response to being told he was losing the captaincy to Stevie says all you need to know about this man. A true legend. A rock at the back and that was including times when he was surrounded by people who perhaps should never have been Liverpool players. If a list was compiled of all-time club bargains Sami would be a good shout for number 1. Class act in every way

8: Andy Robertson: Appearances: 151. Goals: 5. Trophies: 4.  Service: 3 1/2 years   
      I was delighted we signed him. Not because I thought he would be as good as he is I simply thought at the price we paid we have gotten a good player who in time as we develop he will drop down the ranks and be a very good 2nd choiceā€¦..develop he did, into arguably the best left back in the game. Pure energy and will to win. I should probably use his assists rather than his goals scored for his stats. Proof that every Liverpool team should have a Scot in it   

Genius. Flawed or otherwise. If I was any good Id have a video showing his goals. Just a different animal. For some heā€™s in the discussion with Kenny as our greatest ever ability wise and that probably best sums up how good he was.

Only Alisson has scored less goals then Carra (unless I include own goals!) But only Stevie G gave longer service, and donā€™t forget Carra predates 2000. Right back, centre back, left back, centre mid. Played them all, and played them all solidly. Probably the word that sums him up best, solid. When I think of Carra I think last ditch tackles v AC Milan in 05 so tired the tackle led to cramps, but he gets up and goes again. Vocal, a captain with no armband needed. When all is said and done and all time teams are picked hell probably miss out more often then not to Hansen and VVD but anyone who did select him wouldnā€™t be far wrong.

At number 5 is number 6 favourite current player. Thatā€™s some accolade. Another is that heā€™s the closest player to John Barnes we have seen. Nothing I can add to make him sound any better. World class

4: Jordan Henderson:  Appearances: 384. Goals: 30. Trophies: 5.  Service: 9 1/2 years       
      Similar to Robbo, when we signed him, I thought yes good signing. But I didnā€™t see future captain who lifts the league to end the drought. And what a leader he has become. Another player who probably had to adapt his game over time, but he has become a top midfielder, reliable and an excellent leader. I do however think, like Gini, some will only realise just how important he is when he is no longer there   

Look at the goals to game return. Special. I admit, when we signed him my first reaction was, we donā€™t need him we have Sadio and we have Bobby and Coutinho and Sturridge. Man was my face red!! No matter what the future holds from this point on the impact of Mo Salah on Liverpool football club is massive

I mentioned a value for money list regarding our signings. Sami Hyppia would be high up on that list, but still behind Virgil Van Dijk. His impact while well regarded by everyone, is probably still underestimated. A phenom. Plays the game at his pace and nothing you can do about it. No forward has the better of him. He reads the game like he had the script before kick-off. His coolness in all situation is unique. A beast in the air. Doesnā€™t mis time tackles. Great vision for a pass.

1: Steven Gerrard:  Appearances: 662. Goals: 184. Trophies: 9.  Service: 15 1/2 years
      Thought long and hard about placing him somewhere else, just to be different, but I wanted to do the list the right way, and that can mean only Stevie being number 1.  Everything that can be said about him has been said. Just a pure football talent who would have graced any side of any generation be it Liverpool or elsewhere. Who could have for seen the impact he would have when he debuted off the bench as a skinny little kid with a funny haircut. Who foreseen the worldies he scores after his first one when he slalomed past Des Walker all those years ago? Yes, we came close to losing him, twice, thankfully we kept him. Istanbul will be forever in the memory but so to will the fact he missed out on a premier league. Most likely the best, and most deserving player to have never won it. But maybe, just maybe thereā€™s another chapter in Stevieā€™s Liverpool story that sees him win more then one premier league title in another guise. But until that day comes Ill rate him as the greatest Liverpool player of the 21st century   

I would have Agger in there instead of Lucas,
      but otherwise a great list.

I know ten years is probably reason enough to have Lucas there somewhere,
      just feels harsh that it's ahead of Agger.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #3: Jan 11, 2021 06:32:51 pm
      Much love for Agger but he just missed the cut. Himself Reina Sturridge and Riise were all considered
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,954 posts | 2032 
      Reply #4: Jan 11, 2021 07:05:45 pm
      Terrific list Bri! Full respect for the inclusion of Heskey in there - a wonderful player for a good amount of time at the club. A few years ago he garnered a reputation amongst pathetic little gamer/FIFA playing fuds pretending that he was a joke of a player. Far from it as we all know!

A worthy inclusion alongside his strike partner Owen... who I'd put in my top 10 (in place of Suarez tbh) for what he did in 2001. Just remarkable.

Certainly thought provoking. I'd take out Coutinho and replace him with Milner (and then put Milner higher up the list). The guy has a power in the example he sets - his supreme fitness alone could count towards a big reason in us improving our standards on that side of things. But he's always made himself available whether it's the dirty work or other things. And an absolute diamond of a guy as well!
      « Last Edit: Jan 11, 2021 07:11:12 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #5: Jan 11, 2021 07:18:01 pm
      Deffo Agger.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #6: Jan 11, 2021 08:13:53 pm
      I always feel bummed remembering that Agger did not win anything of notice with us, especially after he scored the goal that took us to the '07 CL final. One of my favorite Liverpool goals by one of my favorite Liverpool players.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #7: Jan 12, 2021 09:17:09 am
      Respect for the time taken to make this mate, enjoyed reading it. As said above Iā€™d maybe have Milner in there but hard to argue with it otherwise. As I got to top 10 I feared that you were one of those Liverpool fans whose spite outweighed their appreciation for the talent of Suarez. Would have loved to see him in this team, as well as some of the others.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #8: Jan 12, 2021 09:43:51 am
      Respect for the time taken to make this mate, enjoyed reading it. As said above Iā€™d maybe have Milner in there but hard to argue with it otherwise. As I got to top 10 I feared that you were one of those Liverpool fans whose spite outweighed their appreciation for the talent of Suarez. Would have loved to see him in this team, as well as some of the others.

I think these lists are impossible to get right, even your own list in your own head.

Mille and Agger could easily be in there and maybe should. I suppose certain memories in the mind push certain players to the front. Millie and Agger are every bit worth a place as much as Didi or Kuyty or Lucas yet in my mind I weighed up other things that pushed these guys ahead of those 2. But I can fully appreciate why it would be queried
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9: Jan 12, 2021 12:23:00 pm
      I think these lists are impossible to get right, even your own list in your own head.

Mille and Agger could easily be in there and maybe should. I suppose certain memories in the mind push certain players to the front. Millie and Agger are every bit worth a place as much as Didi or Kuyty or Lucas yet in my mind I weighed up other things that pushed these guys ahead of those 2. But I can fully appreciate why it would be queried

Great thread, great read.

I'm not going to debate choices.
      I might have made the odd different one, but that list looks pretty solid to me.

Good stuff :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #10: Jan 15, 2021 07:27:40 pm
      Great read Brian and I'd like to edge Agger in there if possible but the question is who to leave out?

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #11: Jan 15, 2021 07:31:36 pm
      Great read Brian and I'd like to edge Agger in there if possible but the question is who to leave out?

Without doubt the most popular not in my list, followed by Millie.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #12: Jan 15, 2021 07:46:19 pm

Same thought for me, except with Mascherano (although one of the previews just showed the bit where he lost his rag in 2008). I guess he only played three seasons for us...

Speaking of Masch, here is a happier ending to a United match where he made a difference (and look at the beginning - FANS outside the ground)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ3-d_nGuPY
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #13: Jan 15, 2021 07:49:03 pm
      Next week ill issue my 20 best who didnt make the list  :D  :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #14: Jan 15, 2021 07:51:50 pm
      Same thought for me, except with Mascherano (although one of the previews just showed the bit where he lost his rag in 2008). I guess he only played three seasons for us...

Speaking of Masch, here is a happier ending to a United match where he made a difference (and look at the beginning - FANS outside the ground)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ3-d_nGuPY

I loved Mascherano as well. The sight of him hunting down a forward and stealing the ball off them with crunching tackle was a joy to behold.
      « Last Edit: Jan 15, 2021 07:58:51 pm by srslfc »
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,272 posts | 1435 
      Reply #15: Jan 16, 2021 07:05:51 am
      Effort & a half that list bri,deffo looking forward to your top 20 best of who didnā€™t make the list,Danny agger  should get the top spot in that one   >:D.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #16: Jan 16, 2021 11:51:44 am

Great list mate. lot of effort went into this. respect.

Id personally have Carra as no.2, Him and Gerrard carried us for so long.

No Robbie Fowler, but I guess he just played a cameo role after the 01 treble. more a 90s legend.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #17: Jan 16, 2021 12:58:53 pm
      Great list mate. lot of effort went into this. respect.

Id personally have Carra as no.2, Him and Gerrard carried us for so long.

No Robbie Fowler, but I guess he just played a cameo role after the 01 treble. more a 90s legend.

Robbie is probably my all time hero. I just felt that in 01 Heskey and Owen  were the main 2. He left of course then until 2006 but again spent only the season so had I picked him it would have been for the wrong reason
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #18: Jan 17, 2021 12:03:21 am
      Good thread mate, enjoyed reading through that along with other people's suggestions

Think my list would be pretty similar give or take a bit of a shuffle. Off the top of my head though I'd take Lucas and Coutinho out and replace them with Gary Mac & Luis Garcia. Both had shorter spells at the club than those who they'd be replacing in the list but I think they contributed a fair bit more.

Surprised at all of the clamour for Agger to be included though. Alright defender like but was never anything out of this world for me. I think his love for the club can cloud people's judgement into thinking he's some sort of legend (YNWA tattoos and all that carry on), I've noticed similar with Lucas too. Both decent players on their day, but that's as far as it goes with me
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,141 posts | 1619 
      Reply #19: Jan 17, 2021 04:54:44 am
      One Iā€™d consider having in there is Danny Sturridge, didnā€™t have the longevity of others and injuries took their toll but for a period he was brilliant for us and scored some absolute crackers.

One of my favourite players of the last 10 years.

Another one Iā€™d have in there, Pepe Reina, won 3 golden gloves on the bounce I think and we all know how passionate he was.

No idea whoā€™s missing out to fit them in though!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #20: Jan 17, 2021 08:48:54 am
      Robbie is probably my all time hero. I just felt that in 01 Heskey and Owen  were the main 2. He left of course then until 2006 but again spent only the season so had I picked him it would have been for the wrong reason

Aye your right. as I said he was more an 90s Icon for us. Like he has said himself, he never shouldve left, but sh1t happens in life and in football.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #21: Jan 17, 2021 09:01:08 am
      One Iā€™d consider having in there is Danny Sturridge, didnā€™t have the longevity of others and injuries took their toll but for a period he was brilliant for us and scored some absolute crackers.

Another one Iā€™d have in there, Pepe Reina, won 3 golden gloves on the bounce I think and we all know how passionate he was.

Sturridge was absolutely world class in those first 18 months for us wasn't he. The best natural finisher we'd had since Fowler. Still winds me up thinking about what could have been if it wasn't for those injuries.

Reina is a great shout as well, started to regress rapidly in the second half of his Liverpool career (although you could say that about the team in general) which I think overshadowed how good he actually was in those first few years. As you mentioned the three golden gloves is nothing to be snuffed at, especially when you're competing for them against the likes of Petr Cech & Van Der Sar
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,465 posts | 4815 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #22: Jan 17, 2021 10:55:29 am

Just on Studge. Cracking lad ,him.

Enjoyed this: part 1 and 2 👇

https://youtu.be/bJZhLPp7cuQ

https://youtu.be/4_8tiyEClFQ

Quick Reply