Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Pre-Match: Liverpool vs United. (Sunday 17th -16:30 KO)

Read 15018 times
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Pre-Match: Liverpool vs United. (Sunday 17th -16:30 KO)
      Jan 13, 2021 12:45:39 am
      The biggest game of our season is on the horizon. Even in the 90s when we were mostly rubbish this was the game we usually raised our levels.
      And we will need to raise them again.
      Like in the 90s, United come to anfield as league leaders, high in confidence and seemingly getting the rub of the green. But their form has been impressive as well.
      We will need to take our chances and keep an eye on their electric counter attacking.
      It’s a shame there is no crowd as an atmosphere with us as reigning champions and them as league leaders would be something else.

Rumours are that matip may be fit. If so I fancy us to win. Him and Fabinho at the back with gini, Thiago and Henderson gives me great belief. But any of Philips/Williams or Henderson playing centre back and I think we face an uphill task.

A win and we go back top. Defeat and we find ourselves 6 points adrift. All to play for.

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2021 11:03:36 am by JD »
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Re: Liverpool vs United. (Sunday 17th -16:30 KO)
      Reply #1: Jan 13, 2021 12:47:47 am
      A must win now, can't afford to be 6 pts behind Utd after Sunday
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,109 posts | 441 
      Reply #2: Jan 13, 2021 12:50:36 am
      A football game doesn't get bigger.  Form team everything out of the window.  Just want 3 points a scrappy goal whatever hope VAR doesn't spoil it though that is my biggest worry.  Especially with a referee trigger happy of giving them penalties.   
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,050 posts | 82 
      Reply #3: Jan 13, 2021 04:25:26 am
      A must win now, can't afford to be 6 pts behind Utd after Sunday

Utd is no threat. They will lose points, and plenty. But if we don't win I see City getting away from us. I'd love Jürgen to show some balls, but he won't, therefore I'll do it with my formation:

Ali
      TAA-Williams-Phillips-Robbo
      Hendo-Thiago-Fab
      Salah-Bobby-Mané

...and Shaq for Bobby after 60 min.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #4: Jan 13, 2021 08:38:54 am
      Utd is no threat. They will lose points, and plenty. But if we don't win I see City getting away from us. I'd love Jürgen to show some balls, but he won't, therefore I'll do it with my formation:

Ali
      Hendo-Thiago-Fab
      Salah-Bobby-Mané

We need Fab and Matip in the CB positions otherwise Rashford and Fernandes will tear Philips and Williams apart especially with Rashford's pace,hopefully we can get an early goal and make it 2-0 by half time,just win at any costs.I see the ref for the game Tierney has given Utd 5 penalty's in 10 games and 1 against,he as reffed 13 of our games and we have had no pens and 1 against.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #5: Jan 13, 2021 08:40:15 am

Ali
      Hendo-Thiago-Fab
      Salah-Bobby-Mané

Thank God you are not in charge then, that CB pairing would get destroyed by Utd's attack. As much as I want Fab back in midfield this is not the game to go gung ho. I really really hope Matip is back for this.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #6: Jan 13, 2021 08:43:41 am
      One thing I noticed about Man Utd yesterday is that they pass the ball well with a lot of positive forward movement but a lot of their passes are extremely high risk, just a foot either side and it gets intercepted which means that they should be vulnerable to counter pressing.

If we play well then I think we win, if its the same limp display as recently then we'll be torn to pieces. I fancy us to beat them quite convincingly and regain our mojo.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #7: Jan 13, 2021 08:52:52 am
      One thing I noticed about Man Utd yesterday is that they pass the ball well with a lot of positive forward movement but a lot of their passes are extremely high risk, just a foot either side and it gets intercepted which means that they should be vulnerable to counter pressing.

If we play well then I think we win, if its the same limp display as recently then we'll be torn to pieces. I fancy us to beat them quite convincingly and regain our mojo.

I hope they play the high risk game against us but i doubt it as that would leave spaces for our front 3 so i expect them to park the bus and try and counter,they may open up a bit more in the last 20 minutes if we are leading.I can't see us losing (i think OGS will be delighted with a draw) and we are due a good performance of which i think we will get,the crowd would have been massive in this game for Jürgen and the boys,for me it's a must win.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,070 posts | 1615 
      Reply #8: Jan 13, 2021 08:57:37 am
      Very odd behaviour last night Utd fans thinking won it and some of our fans on Social media giving it up . Always a big game but still think City main worry so will just have to turn on the style and bring the points home .
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #9: Jan 13, 2021 09:10:17 am
      Very odd behaviour last night Utd fans thinking won it and some of our fans on Social media giving it up . Always a big game but still think City main worry so will just have to turn on the style and bring the points home .

Any of our fans giving it up don't know anything about this team,Jürgen or our club,we will get back to form we just need to do it ASAP starting with a win on Sunday.As for United let them have their few games of boasting as it won't last,they will turn on OGS again,they will be top 4 at best.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #10: Jan 13, 2021 09:11:16 am
      They are top

They are in good form we are not

We are a superior team to them.

The main threat from them is on the break v our high line.

None of the above matters because its Liverpool v utd, we just need to smash into them

3-1 reds
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #11: Jan 13, 2021 09:57:19 am
      We will concede goals to most teams from nothing and that's the real issue when either Fab or Matip dont play. Its not the basis of a title winning side that.

That adds pressure on to the front players and I dont think we can absorb a competition this season between Mane and Salah on who can score more than the other. I dont know where eithers priorities lie but if its team honours they have to work together.

Can't relinquish our title tamely to United. Somehow we have to find a way to win games and i dont think sticking more midfielders at the back is the way forward either.

If it has to be one of the centre halves who aren't really cut out for PL level then that would be preferable to destroying the midfield in the process of shielding them from matches. I think Matip will play though at weekend which really helps the cause. The worry is the game after that and after that etc..

Very soon we will find ourselves in a different race if we keep dropping points with Everton, Leicester + Spurs. The bare minimum we must maintain our CL status and i dont think that's a certainty at the moment.
      « Last Edit: Jan 13, 2021 10:02:28 am by fields of anny rd »
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #12: Jan 13, 2021 10:21:49 am
      We're gonna kill these cu*ts. They're F**k all.

Caveat : as long as we get fair decisions. I'm too invested in this so I will record the match on LFCTV and listen to live audio on the same channel. And avoid all the build up hype. That's the intention anyway..
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,299 posts | 3868 
      Reply #13: Jan 13, 2021 10:47:57 am
      Massive game and I’m buzzing for it
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,299 posts | 3868 
      Reply #14: Jan 13, 2021 10:48:39 am

They are on a roll and let them believe it. We are coming for them and city
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,011 posts | 2735 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool vs United. (Sunday 17th -16:30 KO)
      Reply #15: Jan 13, 2021 11:12:17 am
      Shame there's no fans. Full house and I think we almost certainly would have turned them over. Without them, it'll be tight and maybe given recent form of both teams they start slight favourites.

Any chance Matip plays?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #16: Jan 13, 2021 01:12:05 pm
      As much as I hate the Mancs being near the top, it gives this game a real edge. I expect a 3-1 win.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,207 posts | 1414 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #17: Jan 13, 2021 02:14:40 pm
      Cant lose this one, have to win.

I’m going to be honest, feels good to have a game against these that actually means something for the first time in a while...
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #18: Jan 13, 2021 03:00:54 pm
      Any update on Matip? If hes fit he plays. Id expect

Alisson

Trent  Fab   Matip  Robbo

Hendo  Thiago  Gini

Mo     Bobby  Sadio

To cover our high line against the pace of there attack maybe

Alisson

Mllie   Fab    Matip  Robbo

Hendo

Trent   Thiago Gini   Sadio

Mo

Hendo shielding and Mo sitting between maguire and Baily . Trent free to attack
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #19: Jan 13, 2021 03:33:03 pm
      We'll get screwed over by VAR; either by it chalking off a goal of ours, or giving them a penalty.

Don77

• 6,305 posts | 1014 
      Reply #20: Jan 13, 2021 04:05:02 pm
      Matip not photographed in training today.

Did nobody tell them photographers where the treatment room is 🙄 . Doubt he makes it.

Alisson

Trent           Fabinho           Phillips            Robertson

Henderson   Thiago    Wijnaldum

Shaqiri                    Salah                     Mane

I know Phillips isn't the quickest but he is a better defender for me than williams.

Shaq has looked lively and creative so he gets a chance for me. 
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #21: Jan 13, 2021 04:06:00 pm
      Only a win is an option, we need to be on our game and bring our form back to business. We can't afford drop points.

NB: Team no longer available

I will being bold but it is necessary. Klopp won't go for my line-up. If Matip returns until Friday, I would put him on.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #22: Jan 13, 2021 04:06:37 pm
      Matip not photographed in training today.

Did nobody tell them photographers where the treatment room is 🙄 . Doubt he makes it.

Alisson

Trent           Fabinho           Phillips            Robertson

Henderson   Thiago    Wijnaldum

Shaqiri                    Salah                     Mane

I know Phillips isn't the quickest but he is a better defender for me than williams.

Shaq has looked lively and creative so he gets a chance for me. 

Just seconds, we had the same line-up in mind :)

Quick Reply