Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool vs United. (Sunday 17th -16:30 KO)

Read 15078 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool vs United. (Sunday 17th -16:30 KO)
      Reply #46: Jan 14, 2021 11:27:05 am
      Fans are great. Some of the stuff we come out with

"Its a must win

Its not a must win

Its not a must win until we mathematically cant catch them

They are sh*te

They are not sh*te as they are top

Well smash them

Dont know about this one were sh*te....."

Be dull without fans and the different opinions..Mine is, they are good but not in our league if we are at it. If we are not at it then our home record is in big trouble particularly our high line v their break.

Is it a must win? Damn sure it is. If this was 12th v 13th its a must win

boris styler. go to work, dont goto work, wear a mask, dont wear a mask. ;D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #47: Jan 14, 2021 11:29:09 am
      Difference between saying we have to beat United because it's United, and saying it's a must win because if we don't then the league is lost.

I was referring to the latter (clearly).

I wasnt referencing you at all
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #48: Jan 14, 2021 11:33:23 am
      This time last year if you combined a Liverpool starting XI with a United one you'd end up with XI Liverpool players. Certainly not the case this season on available squads.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #49: Jan 14, 2021 11:38:37 am
      This time last year if you combined a Liverpool starting XI with a United one you'd end up with XI Liverpool players. Certainly not the case this season on available squads.

This is roll reversal of 10 to 15 years ago and more. When they were champions and every year was the year we would get them. Then the season would come where we had them neck and neck and this fixture would arrive. More often than not they came away with wins. They had better players end of.

Now they have hunted us down, they are dreaming again, this is a game that could put them 6 ahead of us. Were a better team with better players. Big match big day, well win it
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #50: Jan 14, 2021 12:01:24 pm
      IMO its the usual with this mob, dont lose works for both.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #51: Jan 14, 2021 12:52:15 pm

i'm also reminded of when my state went into lockdown, the rules read something like "You must stay at home...unless you have to leave the house."

Fact is I HATE Man United more than any other club/team. But it is still sport hate.

Let's smash them and talk about something else!  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #52: Jan 14, 2021 12:57:38 pm
      i'm also reminded of when my state went into lockdown, the rules read something like "You must stay at home...unless you have to leave the house."

Fact is I HATE Man United more than any other club/team. But it is still sport hate.

Let's smash them and talk about something else!  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

What even more than Everton.  ;D
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 286 posts | 28 
      Reply #53: Jan 14, 2021 01:06:45 pm
      The best home record in the EPL (ours - P8 W7 D1 L0 = 22 Pts) vs. the best away record (theirs - P8 W7 D1 L0 = 22 Pts).

Tasty!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #54: Jan 14, 2021 01:21:07 pm
      Day of Reckoning Keith
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #55: Jan 14, 2021 01:59:33 pm
      This game is always massive, but we’ve made it much bigger than what it should be because we’ve thrown points away to sh*te teams this season.

It’s a must win for us now. Any other result is a poor one.

But that said, we’re a much better side than these with a much better manager too. If we play anywhere near our best then we win, simple as that.

Hope we go out and drill them 3 or 4 nil and put them back in their place.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #56: Jan 14, 2021 02:19:12 pm

I wish  ;D

I do think it's our best chance of beating you for a while. However, you know what's coming.  :D I must sound like a broken record at the moment as simply nothing changed with my opinion.

We basically have a chance coz you've half a team ( on paper ) at the moment.  Only City playing better than us, momentum  with United as well. It's actually very hard to comprehend we could be 6 points clear come weekend.  :o

Never would I have dreamt such a possibility under Ole as I still think he's not got what it takes for the next level. With all the top teams dropping points it's making us look better than what we actually are so certainly won't be getting carried away like some fans are.

Seeing us top of table looks very nice, sadly my head says it won't last. I've called our defence all season and stated ( still do ) can't win the league with such poor defending. If other teams continue the current trend ( due to 2020 ) and losing/drawing games that they should win we could just make that challenge reality rather than fantasy.  :D

Not done any homework yet on how many points it will take to win the league this year, hazarding a guess mid 80s? Currently it's looking whoever finishes above City will win it. Never thought I'd be saying that this year. If your injured players don't return soon ( apart from VVD ) it's going to be a exciting finish for us all.

Glad the match is on at a decent time as I'm four hours ahead of England at the moment so no problems watching this one.  ;D

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #57: Jan 14, 2021 02:21:18 pm
      I wish  ;D

I do think it's our best chance of beating you for a while. However, you know what's coming.  :D I must sound like a broken record at the moment as simply nothing changed with my opinion.

We basically have a chance coz you've half a team ( on paper ) at the moment.  Only City playing better than us, momentum  with United as well. It's actually very hard to comprehend we could be 6 points clear come weekend.  :o

Never would I have dreamt such a possibility under Ole as I still think he's not got what it takes for the next level. With all the top teams dropping points it's making us look better than what we actually are so certainly won't be getting carried away like some fans are.

Seeing us top of table looks very nice, sadly my head says it won't last. I've called our defence all season and stated ( still do ) can't win the league with such poor defending. If other teams continue the current trend ( due to 2020 ) and losing/drawing games that they should win we could just make that challenge reality rather than fantasy.  :D

Not done any homework yet on how many points it will take to win the league this year, hazarding a guess mid 80s? Currently it's looking whoever finishes above City will win it. Never thought I'd be saying that this year. If your injured players don't return soon ( apart from VVD ) it's going to be a exciting finish for us all.

Glad the match is on at a decent time as I'm four hours ahead of England at the moment so no problems watching this one.  ;D

How do you see your lot lining out??

Im expecting Fred McToninay and Matic sitting in the middle with Rashford up top with Fernandez and Pogba just behind him....play on the break
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #58: Jan 14, 2021 02:36:16 pm

Im expecting Fred McToninay and Matic sitting in the middle with Rashford up top with Fernandez and Pogba just behind him....play on the break

Didn't Matic pull up with a groin injury in the last game, I think he and Martial might be doubts for this game.

If I was Klopp I would have Hendo and Fabinho as the CB/DM pairing and a Midfield of Thiago, Shaq and Gini with the usual front three. I think that provides the best balance at the moment in terms of defence plus also giving us a hell of a tasty attack.

I have no doubt that Utd will score at least one goal so we have to make sure we score more and that means taking the fight to them.

BTW the reason why I say Hendo and Fabinho would be CB/DM is that playing them next to each other would allow one of them to move forward a bit into DM if Utd sit back, ie we get the best of both worlds, theoretically :-)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #59: Jan 14, 2021 02:43:53 pm

I'm liking McTominay more and more Brian and would have him over Fred any day of the week but got some abuse on caf  :lmao: he offers so much more to his game, espically when he does go forward. I'd sell Fred but that's another story.  ;D

First player on team sheet is Pogba as playing exceptionally well at moment and Ole seems to be giving him more space in front so hopefully that continues. Is Pogba playing well coz team playing well? it's a question I keep asking myself.  :roll:

This may please you though? I'd put Rashford on the bench and replace him with Greenwood. He's due a run in the team and rotation a must if we're to continue in our false postion.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #60: Jan 14, 2021 02:47:21 pm
      Didn't Matic pull up with a groin injury in the last game, I think he and Martial might be doubts for this game.

You're correct and both doubtful from what I've read.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #61: Jan 14, 2021 02:54:15 pm
      You're correct and both doubtful from what I've read.

Not sure Martial would have played anyway tbh think Cavani on his own with Rashord right and pogba left
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #62: Jan 14, 2021 03:49:03 pm
      Pivotal we have Matip back next to Fabinho for this, otherwise it pains me to say I can’t see us winning it, we’ve been utter sh*te recently but the MUtants have been buoyant, are in form and have the momentum, so with us under strength defensively at least and to some degree in midfield also, it’s hard to imagine us coming out on top,

If indeed Joel makes it Hendo needs to sit in front protecting, with Thiago and Gini either side, Robbo & Trent stretching the pitch and the usual three amigos up top, without Joel, I think Hendo sits in with Fabinho and we could see Millie come in and play the DM, this is not a game for either Rhys nor Nat, they’d get ripped to F**k by Rashford & co, it’s not a ideal set up but one I think that is strong enough to deal with their counter attack, it does lack creativity but with Thiago it helps massively with his accuracy,

The front three need to be on their game collectively too, they have been way off their best of late and need to re-ignite the fire that should be burning in their guts, we of course all hope that we are past our sticky patch and we get somewhere near our capabilities,,I just want us to play well and not the sh*te we have seen recently, do that we get mullered simple as that, play like we know we can they won’t touch us.

2-1 Champions

Y  N  W  A
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #63: Jan 14, 2021 04:31:30 pm
      Not sure Martial would have played anyway tbh think Cavani on his own with Rashord right and pogba left

Wasn't Cavani injured a lot at PSG and in terrible form, and now he's turned into fecking superman, I really did not think that signing would work out as well as it has so far.

In all seriousness either our players are weaker, our training exercises are too tough or the Utd physios are much better, it has to be one of those.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #64: Jan 14, 2021 04:34:19 pm
      Pivotal we have Matip back next to Fabinho for this, otherwise it pains me to say I can’t see us winning it, we’ve been utter sh*te recently but the MUtants have been buoyant, are in form and have the momentum, so with us under strength defensively at least and to some degree in midfield also, it’s hard to imagine us coming out on top,

If indeed Joel makes it Hendo needs to sit in front protecting, with Thiago and Gini either side, Robbo & Trent stretching the pitch and the usual three amigos up top, without Joel, I think Hendo sits in with Fabinho and we could see Millie come in and play the DM, this is not a game for either Rhys nor Nat, they’d get ripped to f**k by Rashford & co, it’s not a ideal set up but one I think that is strong enough to deal with their counter attack, it does lack creativity but with Thiago it helps massively with his accuracy,

The front three need to be on their game collectively too, they have been way off their best of late and need to re-ignite the fire that should be burning in their guts, we of course all hope that we are past our sticky patch and we get somewhere near our capabilities,,I just want us to play well and not the sh*te we have seen recently, do that we get mullered simple as that, play like we know we can they won’t touch us.

2-1 Champions

Y  N  W  A

Play Henderson next to Fabinho at CB and play a creative midfield of Thiago, Shaq and Gini, if we do that we win. We may well win anyway but I think that's our best shot, we must be positive in this game and look to outscore Man Utd. If we sit back we are fu**ed.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #65: Jan 14, 2021 04:42:48 pm
      Play Henderson next to Fabinho at CB and play a creative midfield of Thiago, Shaq and Gini, if we do that we win. We may well win anyway but I think that's our best shot, we must be positive in this game and look to outscore Man Utd. If we sit back we are fu**ed.

We've always played cautious against the mancs under Jürgen (think someone else mentioned that actually), for whatever reason. Hope he changes his habit and we go after them, hopefully with Thiago back it will help get our front 3 firing again and offer us another avenue of attack.

No mistake though, this is the biggest game against the mancs in a long time and we need to come to the party.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #66: Jan 14, 2021 05:00:03 pm
      Wasn't Cavani injured a lot at PSG and in terrible form, and now he's turned into fecking superman, I really did not think that signing would work out as well as it has so far.

In all seriousness either our players are weaker, our training exercises are too tough or the Utd physios are much better, it has to be one of those.

Cavani passed his best but doing decent job so far. Not sure I'd go as far as super human though.   xxxxx:action-smiley-065: Had a bad game other nite.  I sometimes think you over analyse your teams performances. sh*t happens from time to time. Don't think it's down to any of the above.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #67: Jan 14, 2021 05:31:38 pm

I always thought Cavani was a fantastic signing for them. He's a proven scorer at both club and country and would be able to bring experience and leadership to a team devoid of that with a mediocre coach. May not be good enough to be a regular starter but can be definitely impactful in a super-sub role as well as mentoring kids behind the scenes. He's knows exactly what to do in the box and he single-handedly won United the game at Southampton, for example. He also makes clever movements / runs to open space for Rashford and has definitely been one of their top players so far this season. A great option when Ole just says "well, i'm out of ideas" and Cavani goes in and rescues points with his experience.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #68: Jan 14, 2021 06:35:33 pm
      I always thought Cavani was a fantastic signing for them. He's a proven scorer at both club and country and would be able to bring experience and leadership to a team devoid of that with a mediocre coach. May not be good enough to be a regular starter but can be definitely impactful in a super-sub role as well as mentoring kids behind the scenes. He's knows exactly what to do in the box and he single-handedly won United the game at Southampton, for example. He also makes clever movements / runs to open space for Rashford and has definitely been one of their top players so far this season. A great option when Ole just says "well, i'm out of ideas" and Cavani goes in and rescues points with his experience.

A mystery that PSG sold him then.

Quick Reply