Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Utd?

Alisson Becker
      40 (41.2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.1%)
       Fabinho
      40 (41.2%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      2 (2.1%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      13 (13.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Voting closed: Jan 21, 2021 06:22:40 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30215 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Jan 17, 2021 08:39:20 pm
      F***ing hell this forum doesn’t half wind me up at times.

Sometimes I come on here and give my thoughts about a game. I’ll make a comment about a players performance which on that occasion might have been poor. And anybody who saw the game and has an understanding of football would agree it was poor. But you get some idiots who will say some sh*te like ‘WELL IF Jürgen PICKED HIM THATS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME AND HE KNOWS MORE ABOUT FOOTBALL THAN YOU’ or ‘WE ARE THE LEAGUE CHAMPIONS WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING YNWA’. Really does my f**king head in that those people can’t have a debate with any logic.

But today is the opposite. Seeing quite a lot of posts giving up on the title. Give your f**king fannys a wipe for fucks sake. We’re not even in February yet and from my memory a league title has never been won or lost in January. Look at the league table you bellends. At the very worst, we will be four points behind Man City if they presumably win their game in hand. It’s still f**king game on.

Even with all of our injuries, we are still in the mix. We are still dominating game after game but we’ve hit a poor run of form and we’ve lost our killer touch. Sooner or later it’ll come back and we’ll be blasting teams by 3 or 4.

We’ll be f**king right there in May.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #622: Jan 17, 2021 08:49:28 pm
      Keita back would help best ball carrier we have

is he?? On the extremely  rare occasion he is fit an din form he is quite good, but that is infrequent it has no effect on our season.  What we need are some forwards who know how to score goals and who have an understanding for each other.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #623: Jan 17, 2021 08:50:38 pm
      is he?? On the extremely  rare occasion he is fit an din form he is quite good, but that is infrequent it has no effect on our season.  What we need are some forwards who know how to score goals and who have an understanding for each other.

Err yes he is
      rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #624: Jan 17, 2021 08:52:00 pm

Sometimes I come on here and give my thoughts about a game. I’ll make a comment about a players performance which on that occasion might have been poor. And anybody who saw the game and has an understanding of football would agree it was poor. But you get some idiots who will say some sh*te like ‘WELL IF Jürgen PICKED HIM THATS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME AND HE KNOWS MORE ABOUT FOOTBALL THAN YOU’ or ‘WE ARE THE LEAGUE CHAMPIONS WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING YNWA’. Really does my f**king head in that those people can’t have a debate with any logic.

But today is the opposite. Seeing quite a lot of posts giving up on the title. Give your f**king fannys a wipe for fucks sake. We’re not even in February yet and from my memory a league title has never been won or lost in January. Look at the league table you bellends. At the very worst, we will be four points behind Man City if they presumably win their game in hand. It’s still f**king game on.

Even with all of our injuries, we are still in the mix. We are still dominating game after game but we’ve hit a poor run of form and we’ve lost our killer touch. Sooner or later it’ll come back and we’ll be blasting teams by 3 or 4.

Some had give up after 12 games we are not halfway as you say . Got to say though a CB is needed or I think we will struggle to retain it
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #625: Jan 17, 2021 08:56:18 pm

100% agree with you on all points, its not doom and gloom in terms of points total or league position but we have now had 4 sh*t games in a row from our forwards and that is a concern. Initially I really liked how we played but you can see the midfielders getting pissed off with every wasted opportunity. It has to turn round at some point and some team will get a battering, lets hope its against that anti football monstrosity Burnley, then we bounce into the "rematch with Utd" and kick them out of the FA Cup.

I really think we need to drop Bobby for a few games, he is actually hurting the team these days, so many misplaced passes and awful finishing. Either play Minamino or Origi until Jota is back, my preference would be Minamino, there is a player there, who just needs a qood run of games.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #626: Jan 17, 2021 08:57:57 pm

But he is never ever fit so who F***ing cares, he could be Pele, Maradonna, Messi and Ronaldo all fused into the ultimate footballer but if he's injured all the sodding time then he's no good to anyone is he?
      rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #627: Jan 17, 2021 09:03:33 pm
      But he is never ever fit so who f**king cares, he could be Pele, Maradonna, Messi and Ronaldo all fused into the ultimate footballer but if he's injured all the sodding time then he's no good to anyone is he?

What the F**k has that got to do with my point he is the best ball carrier and we could do with him back right? I fully realize his injury record
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #628: Jan 17, 2021 09:06:22 pm
      What the f**k has that got to do with my point he is the best ball carrier and we could do with him back right? I fully realize his injury record

It has everything to do with it, you may as well fantasise about having Mbappe in the team, its the same likelihood of happening as having Keita as a valuable member of the team/squad, i.e. it won't every happen, so Keita can be as amazing as you want but by the time he runs himself into form he gets injured again and that situation will never change with him, he is made of glass, same as Sturridge was.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,028 posts | 529 
      Reply #629: Jan 17, 2021 09:57:43 pm
      Thought it was a decent performance, and result, in the circumstances. Good move by Jürgen to switch Fab to the right CB position - gave Trent more cover and improved the balance in the team. Hendo did well as the other CB too.

The fact the front 3 are all a bit off form at the same time is obviously hurting us, but there's not a lot we can do (maybe play Origi through the middle to give us a bit more presence there, or play Mane or Salah there and stick Minamino or Shaq out wide). But they will get back scoring sooner or later. My main concern is that we will not get away with playing 2 CMs in the centre of defence for a long period. It will hurt us on set pieces especially. So I still think we are really keeping our fingers crossed that Matip will stay fit (once he comes back!).

I think ManU will blow up at some point - they lack bottle basically, didn't really turn up until we started to tire. City are a different story though - we'll struggle to finish above them without a CB. Our performance today was still decent though. Fab MOTM.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #630: Jan 17, 2021 10:17:50 pm
      Overall, a decent result considering the circumstances i.e. our form vs their form, our injuries vs their fit squad, etc.

In terms of the performance, we started really well. We pushed them back in the first 20-25 minutes and they really struggled to get out until we dropped a gear. Scoring in these moments is very important and it's a real shame Bobby didn't take his chances when they fell to him. After that spell, it was more of what I expected before the game. We were slow moving forward and when we would get into a decent area, we were far too indecisive. We seem to rush things a bit more in the last few games and this probably stems from our current form.

We're going to struggle in games without our best two pressing midfielders playing in their best positions. That's the reality. But we are still good enough to have a strong enough finish to the season to finish inside the top 4. Unfortunately, I think the title is lost for the season especially when you factor in City's current form and their potential to put a good run together.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #631: Jan 17, 2021 11:06:19 pm
      Difficult to see the title being retained with more dropped points, our forwards just not scoring atm, I gave Alisson Becker motm for the saves he pulled off. Disappointing but a defeat would have been far worse.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,050 posts | 342 
      Reply #632: Jan 17, 2021 11:41:11 pm
      I hated that game.  Spent it waiting for the inevitable dodgy pen, the 97th minute Manure winner.  When it didn't happen and we got the draw it felt like a relief.  I'd got even less confidence in us winning that than Bobby F has at the minute.  Just watched MOTD declare Shaw MotM and Manure the better side.  Maybe they were.  What the F**k do I know.  4 games ago, we had the best attackers in the world, now they're clueless muppets who are greedy and sh*te.

Anyway, what d'you think? -
      Who does Klopp play alongside Matip when he comes back?
      Is it a question of who we miss more in midfield, Hendo or Fab?
      - because it seems unlikely JK will trust Williams or Philips now.

Today the makeshift Cbs did great, but we need 'em both further forward, for the team to balance and function again as an attacking unit.

Should we risk Philips/Williams alongside Matip, and fully-equip the midfield, in the hope we can outscore opponents (I know it seems unlikely we'll ever score at the moment) while maybe leaking goals?

Just trying to see the way out of the fog we're in!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #633: Jan 18, 2021 12:05:55 am
      I don’t think anything’s going to improve while sides defend with9 in their own box.
      Do sides play like that against shitty ? I dont watch them, but I don’t imagine they do.
      That tactic is reserved for us.
      We need to counter it by blasting shots in from 18 plus yards. One deflected goal will bring sides out trying to get something from the game. Then we’ve got an open game which we will dominate.
      As long as we don’t score, they’ll sit tight and hope to nick one on the counter.
      That’s been the story of our season.
      When we put 7 on Palace, everyone else must have thought, F**k taking them on. Well just sit back and defend !
      Gotta try something different now.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #634: Jan 18, 2021 01:27:47 am
      100% agree with you on all points, its not doom and gloom in terms of points total or league position but we have now had 4 sh*t games in a row from our forwards and that is a concern. Initially I really liked how we played but you can see the midfielders getting pissed off with every wasted opportunity. It has to turn round at some point and some team will get a battering, lets hope its against that anti football monstrosity Burnley, then we bounce into the "rematch with Utd" and kick them out of the FA Cup.

I really think we need to drop Bobby for a few games, he is actually hurting the team these days, so many misplaced passes and awful finishing. Either play Minamino or Origi until Jota is back, my preference would be Minamino, there is a player there, who just needs a qood run of games.

Good post.

I think as reds we’re all a bit frustrated at the moment. We’ve been spoilt with some superb football over the past 2 or 3 years and we’ve hit some poor form that we’re not used to seeing.

I agree, it is a concern but by no means are we out of the title yet. There is a long way to go, more than half the season to play and all the teams are taking points off each other.

We’re just no longer favourites but that could work in our favour. It might take the pressure away from the team and it might also give us a kick up the arse. Other teams might suffer the same horrific luck we’ve had this season too. A serious injury to any of fernandes, vardy, KDB, Kane rules any of those sides out.

I also agree that Bobby needs pulling and he should have been pulled a long time ago in truth. I suspect if Jota was fit then he may have been dropped by now because the two players you mention Origi and minamino aren’t good enough in my opinion.

I think klopp should play salah down the middle and bring ox in at RW. I’m not a big fan of ox playing out wide to be honest but for the time being, I feel that’s our best option.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,180 posts | 1097 
      Reply #635: Jan 18, 2021 02:38:10 am
      Next Sunday is a pretty big game. I would be very happy to knock United out the cup. Im not giving up on the league by any means, long long way to go. But a FA cup added to the cabinet and a top 4 finish in this climate and with all the injuries is a realistically solid season
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #636: Jan 18, 2021 04:53:45 am
      If everton win their game in hand then we fall out of the top 4 and below them.

Averaging less than 2 points a game isn't going to get you in a title race. If you look closely the season has settled down now, with the two manc clubs picking up title winning form.

Our battle realistically is top 4 and we will need to start improving our results to stand a chance. Burnley is a must win. Of course if at some point we win 6 in a row we can see where that leaves us but I dont see it happening.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,011 posts | 2715 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #637: Jan 18, 2021 05:01:15 am
      Utd came and played the way they play, sit and defend and hit on the break, without ambition. We dominated the 1st half, Utd made it more even in the 2nd, couple of shots that Ali saved pretty comfortably.
      Even with arguably our two best midfielders playing in defense we had about 66% possession and twice as many shots - but our front 3 can't hit a cows arse with a banjo right now, so many shots, so few making the keeper work. Firmino was awful. Salah very quiet. Same as in previous matches.
      Utd will certainly be the happier team.

I agree United played without commitment /ambition which is the fault Of Ole not going for the throat given your weaken team through injuries. Dominated the wrong word, more possession yes but you did nothing with it. Like I said basically one short that DeGea had to push out for a corner. Yes you had more shots but they wasn't even half chances. Simple  truth is United had the better chances but didn't take them.

Alisson got MOM for a reason, he pulled off couple of good saves, espically the one from Pogba. Personally I think on the nite United will be more disappointed as this was a chance to beat you given all the teams problems..

You and City still favs in my book. If anyone does finish above you two they will win the league, sadly I still don't think we can beat you in the league. Maybe if we bought players this month then that would give United a fighting chance with so many teams dropping points.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #638: Jan 18, 2021 07:06:27 am
      Good post.

I think as reds we’re all a bit frustrated at the moment. We’ve been spoilt with some superb football over the past 2 or 3 years and we’ve hit some poor form that we’re not used to seeing.

I agree, it is a concern but by no means are we out of the title yet. There is a long way to go, more than half the season to play and all the teams are taking points off each other.

We’re just no longer favourites but that could work in our favour. It might take the pressure away from the team and it might also give us a kick up the arse. Other teams might suffer the same horrific luck we’ve had this season too. A serious injury to any of fernandes, vardy, KDB, Kane rules any of those sides out.

I also agree that Bobby needs pulling and he should have been pulled a long time ago in truth. I suspect if Jota was fit then he may have been dropped by now because the two players you mention Origi and minamino aren’t good enough in my opinion.

I think klopp should play salah down the middle and bring ox in at RW. I’m not a big fan of ox playing out wide to be honest but for the time being, I feel that’s our best option.

If we move Salah to the middle, would put Sadio on the right where he was excellent his first season for us (not that he hasn't been great on the left). Ox would be better on left than right .

Rather than sitting him, Bobby could occupy that advanced midfield role and still help with his pressing.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #639: Jan 18, 2021 08:25:01 am
      I agree United played without commitment /ambition which is the fault Of Ole not going for the throat given your weaken team through injuries. Dominated the wrong word, more possession yes but you did nothing with it. Like I said basically one short that DeGea had to push out for a corner. Yes you had more shots but they wasn't even half chances. Simple  truth is United had the better chances but didn't take them.

Alisson got MOM for a reason, he pulled off couple of good saves, espically the one from Pogba. Personally I think on the nite United will be more disappointed as this was a chance to beat you given all the teams problems..

You and City still favs in my book. If anyone does finish above you two they will win the league, sadly I still don't think we can beat you in the league. Maybe if we bought players this month then that would give United a fighting chance with so many teams dropping points.

Im not Ole`s biggest fan even tho im Norwegian. I dont see him as a very good coach but i saw a utd team who were pumped and ready for the liverpool game. You guys defended as a team and put bodies upfront when attacking. So i disagree agree on united came to Anfield without commitment/ambition, i think you guys had a good plan and did well. Ole should get +1 for that from you guys imo.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #640: Jan 18, 2021 08:40:51 am
      Im not Ole`s biggest fan even tho im Norwegian. I dont see him as a very good coach but i saw a utd team who were pumped and ready for the liverpool game. You guys defended as a team and put bodies upfront when attacking. So i disagree agree on united came to Anfield without commitment/ambition, i think you guys had a good plan and did well. Ole should get +1 for that from you guys imo.

I'm also amazed at how well Ole is doing considering how average he was in Norway as a manager. The one thing I think he is quite good at is surrounding himself with talented staff AND at motivating the players and these are key skills for any manager.

In a game of Ifs I think we would have won the game yesterday if just one of our forwards was in form but I also think that Utd would have won if one of their forwards had a good game. all in all a draw was a fair result and I actually think it was a better result for us than them, considering recent results.

It was really an odd game, both teams played well apart from the final third.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #641: Jan 18, 2021 09:18:55 am
      I'd say out of all three forwards that Mane is probably in the 'better' form of the three but sadly yesterday none of the chances seemed to fall his way - all to Firmino and Salah.

We actually played a lot better than I was expecting.  I wasn't expecting us to dominate the ball quite as much.  The only thing letting us down was up front and last season you could have easily pictured us being 3-0 up at half time.

As good as Fabinho and Henderson were in defence - lets face it with Virgil van Dijk in defence and them in midfield we would have a vast amount more  energy as a team. 

It's only a matter of time before the goals return.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #642: Jan 18, 2021 09:21:34 am
      Not sure if our forwards are just off form, or if it’s the situation we are in overall.
      When teams sit deep with 9 defenders in or around their box, our 3 strikers are outnumbered 3 to 1, and with the very limited space to operate, with 13 or more players in an area of less than 650 sq yds, it’s no surprise we’re short on shooting opportunities.
      That’s why I’m all for lacing the ball from around the edge of the box, and deflections will occur. Sometimes past the keeper, or possibly to another Red shirt, but it may help in slotting that all important first goal.
      It’s clear what we are currently doing isn’t working against mass defences.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #643: Jan 18, 2021 09:25:11 am
      I think that yesterday's game proved why we suffer after the injury of all three of our CBs.
      Playing Hendo & Fab there, Thiago is forced to return way back to get the ball (that was Hendo's job before), which means that Gini and Shaq were outnumbered in the middle and the ball couldn't be passed correctly. This also means that Robo and Trend cannot play so upfront and create the chances for the three in front to score, and they are restricted to mainly cross the ball. This is happening because Robo and Trend should help defensively the two CBs (which are not natural CBs). That's why Trend is producing many defensive mistakes lately, because he knows that he doesn't have the coverage that he used to have with VVD or Gomez.

Bottom line. Unfortunately, the team needs a proper CB, IF they want to compete for the league. We are not sure that VVD, Gomez or Matip will return to their previous standards and we cannot rely on IFs and WHENs. I am afraid that if we continue like this, we will suffer in other games, and our lethal offense will not continue to be on high standards. Of course Jürgen knows more, but you don't need to be a rocket scientist to see that the team needs to reform their defense.

Quick Reply