Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Burnley: Premier League (Thu 21st Jan 8pm)

Read 7506 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Burnley: Premier League (Thu 21st Jan 8pm)
      Reply #69: Jan 21, 2021 12:15:11 am
      Burnley - currently 4 points from the relegation places.

This surely is a must win 🤷‍♂️
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #70: Jan 21, 2021 12:20:02 am
      By definition...if one game is called "must win" and we don't win, the next game cannot be called "must win" unless we are admitting that the previous "must win" game wasn't really a "must win" game.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #71: Jan 21, 2021 12:31:34 am
      League decider this for us..loose & our hopes to retain get slimmer...

I hope the Boss rolls the dice & puts Philips in defence alongside Henderson or Williams..

Got the get Fabinho back in midfield...
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #72: Jan 21, 2021 12:52:08 am
      No way on Earth did I expect us to be 6 pts behind Utd in Jan!
      « Last Edit: Jan 21, 2021 12:21:54 pm by LFC PAUL »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #73: Jan 21, 2021 02:38:00 am
      League decider this for us..loose & our hopes to retain get slimmer...

I hope the Boss rolls the dice & puts Philips in defence alongside Henderson or Williams..

Got the get Fabinho back in midfield...

Sounds like Matip is ready to go.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #74: Jan 21, 2021 05:42:43 am

Mate there is 14 hours till KO, he may sneeze...don't jinx it hahaahha
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #75: Jan 21, 2021 08:48:23 am

🙏🏼
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #76: Jan 21, 2021 09:17:32 am
                                                                   Alisson
                                                    Trent   Matip   Fabinho Robbo
                                                                   Hendo
                                                     Gini                      Thiago
                                                                  Firmino
                                                       Salah                   Mane

To me this team picks itself. You don't have the luxury to "try something new" or "give players a chance". You play your best 11 (that are available) players. If they can't beat Burnley, then you have issues.

Bobby is not the best payer at the moment, he's the worst, by all means have him on the bench, but I would not start him, for me I'd either play Shaq, Minamino or Ox in his place.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #77: Jan 21, 2021 09:44:35 am
                                                                   Alisson
                                                    Trent   Matip   Fabinho Robbo
                                                                   Hendo
                                                     Gini                      Thiago
                                                                  Firmino
                                                       Salah                   Mane

To me this team picks itself. You don't have the luxury to "try something new" or "give players a chance". You play your best 11 (that are available) players. If they can't beat Burnley, then you have issues.

If you don't make a change or try a different player in this run of form I'm not sure when you do?

That's not even taking into account the sheer run of games we have coming up where we will need to make some changes regardless of form.

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2021 12:07:43 pm by srslfc »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 763 
      Reply #78: Jan 21, 2021 10:31:38 am
      Going for a 2 -0 win tonight against Burnley, hope that the lads, have their shooting boots on !
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1771 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #79: Jan 21, 2021 11:59:53 am
      Team will be interesting tonight, will he rotate one of the front 3 to shake it up, salah came of the bench to great effect away at palace. just saying. ;D
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #80: Jan 21, 2021 12:38:59 pm
      No disrespect to Phillips, but if he isn't capable of lining up alongside an accomplished centre half like Joel at home against Burnley he has no place at the club and a replacement needs to be brought in.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #81: Jan 21, 2021 02:53:37 pm
      If you don't make a change or try a different player in this run of form I'm not sure when you do?

That's not even taking into account the sheer run of games we have coming up where we will need to make some changes regardless of form.

So what happens if you bring Minamino in for Firmino and again we struggle to score the entire game? Then do you bring Firmino on as a sub late and if he can't do something special then what? It just adds to the growing chorus from pundits and some of the support about why Bobby can't score. I just don't see how putting a player on the bench because he's in a bit of a rough patch of form (who isn't on our team?) is how you motivate them to do better. I'm pretty sure that Bobby and Mo and Sadio all want to be scoring and creating chances, for whatever reason it's just not happening, but sitting them on the bench in favor of players that have yet to prove they are going to score doesn't make sense to me. If it was Jota on the bench, then sure, bring him on. But Minamino has been largely ineffective since he's been here. I like the kid, but I fear we have the makings of another Origi only without the big goals.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #82: Jan 21, 2021 03:05:02 pm
      I think even Klopp will F***ing lose it if we fail to score again tonight
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #83: Jan 21, 2021 03:06:32 pm
      So what happens if you bring Minamino in for Firmino and again we struggle to score the entire game? Then do you bring Firmino on as a sub late and if he can't do something special then what? It just adds to the growing chorus from pundits and some of the support about why Bobby can't score. I just don't see how putting a player on the bench because he's in a bit of a rough patch of form (who isn't on our team?) is how you motivate them to do better. I'm pretty sure that Bobby and Mo and Sadio all want to be scoring and creating chances, for whatever reason it's just not happening, but sitting them on the bench in favor of players that have yet to prove they are going to score doesn't make sense to me. If it was Jota on the bench, then sure, bring him on. But Minamino has been largely ineffective since he's been here. I like the kid, but I fear we have the makings of another Origi only without the big goals.

I've shown what I would do in this thread mate.

I'd make a change in both personnel and formation to see if that gives us a bit more spark.

Hendo    Thiago

Shaqiri      Minamino      Mane

Salah

I would even try Chamberlain on the right with his direct running and Shaqiri where I have Minamino.

You want to keep things exactly as they are, that's fair enough, but I don't see how continuing to play as we are is benefiting anyone.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,234 posts | 2811 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #84: Jan 21, 2021 04:08:56 pm
      4 hours to kick off and Im getting that big game feel, for Burnley!!
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 877 posts | 102 
      Reply #85: Jan 21, 2021 04:56:11 pm
      A win doesn't improve our league standing.
      .the top of the league is starting to open up
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #86: Jan 21, 2021 05:10:17 pm
      Hope the officials have us down for a win tonight.
      Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #87: Jan 21, 2021 05:21:39 pm
      Origi impact sub, ;D. Do you know what an impact sub is???
      [/quote

Someone who scores a goal against Barca in the champs league 😋  No no just messing. I know what you mean. Impact sub was probably the wrong reference. Just really meant someone with a physical presence.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,234 posts | 2811 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #88: Jan 21, 2021 05:29:49 pm
      The Echo reporting we may have a tactical surprise involving Salah and Mane....wont be much of a surprise with them writing about it.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,749 posts | 882 
      Reply #89: Jan 21, 2021 05:33:26 pm
      The Echo reporting we may have a tactical surprise involving Salah and Mane....wont be much of a surprise with them writing about it.

This sounds intriguing. Is it going to involve them taking shots at goal? Have to say, that would surprise everyone.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #90: Jan 21, 2021 05:36:21 pm
      I’d be inclined to give Salah a run through the middle tonight with Shaq in the inside right position. Middle needs to consist of three proper midfielders for me. Given their ability at set plays this game is well suited for Nat Phillips to come in and perhaps Fab will come into midfield for this one. Any sort of win will do to stop the rot. Don’t give a shot about performance so long as we win
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #91: Jan 21, 2021 05:36:59 pm

We need to try something different from what we’ve being doing, cos right now it’s not working, apart from Saints we have faced the bus parking society of the PL our last 4 outings, and struggled, Burnley being Burnley will park their own double decker so we need to tweak one or two positions to try and get thru, using the same formula like what you suggest aint gonna work, and we will drift further behind the leaders,

Winning tonight won’t advance us forward but it breaks the run of draws and will inject some much needed confidence, right now we are in our worst form for three seasons, we need to put a stop to it before it becomes to late, there are still plenty of games and time left to turn things around and we will, but we need to stop the rot now !

Alisson
                                    Trent   Matip.  Phillips.  Robbo
                                                    Fabinho
                                       Shaqiri.               Thiago
                                        Salah.  Minamino.  Mane

Bench; Kelleher, Hendo, Milner, Gini, Ox, Bobby, Jones, Origi

Dyche will expect the usual X1, so the changes will affect his plans, with little time to alter, from the off I’d attack attack attack, press the sh*t out of them and don’t let them out of their half, lots of pace & tempo, we need to stop the rot asap.

4-0 Champions

Y  N  W  A

Quick Reply