Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Burnley: Premier League (Thu 21st Jan 8pm)

Read 7402 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Pre-Match: Liverpool v Burnley: Premier League (Thu 21st Jan 8pm)
      Jan 18, 2021 10:02:59 am
      We go again on Thursday...

Goes without saying we need a win, bloody hell we need a goal before people think the team are actually called Liverpoolnil.

In post match discussions Ive said, as have others, that we need to tweek something. Repeating the same thing that hasnt really worked for months now isnt just madness its stupid.

We all know what to expect from them. They know what to expect from us so change it.

Id go 4 4 2 .  2 attackers through the middle on the shoulders of the defenders. A solid but creative middle. Trent Gini and Bobby would get the chop for me. If Matp is fit Id go

Alisson
            Milner   Philips    Matip   Robbo

OX     Fab      Thiago   Mane/Shaq

Mo   Shaq/Mane

Harsh on Hendo but I want to see Fab and Thiago as a pair in the middle
      « Last Edit: Jan 18, 2021 10:43:37 am by JD »
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Liverpool v Burnley: PL Thursday 21st Jan.8pm
      Reply #1: Jan 18, 2021 10:17:15 am
      Please just score a goal
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #2: Jan 18, 2021 10:19:48 am
                                     Alisson

Trent        Philips               Matip             Robbo

Henderson    Fabinho       Thiago

Shaqiri                 Salah                   Mane

Or:

Alisson

Trent          Philips                Matip            Robertson

Henderson          Fabinho

Thiago

Shaqiri                                                 Mane

Salah

Kellerher
      AOC
      N Williams
      Jones
      Milner
      Firmino
      Minamino
      Wijnaldum
      Origi
      « Last Edit: Jan 18, 2021 10:31:01 am by Don77 »
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #3: Jan 18, 2021 10:22:22 am
      Shaqiri needs to play all the time, drop Salah for Minamino and drop Firmino for Origi
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Burnley: Premier League (Thu 21st Jan 8pm)
      Reply #4: Jan 18, 2021 11:21:24 am
      We go again on Thursday...

Goes without saying we need a win, bloody hell we need a goal before people think the team are actually called Liverpoolnil.

In post match discussions Ive said, as have others, that we need to tweek something. Repeating the same thing that hasnt really worked for months now isnt just madness its stupid.

We all know what to expect from them. They know what to expect from us so change it.

Id go 4 4 2 .  2 attackers through the middle on the shoulders of the defenders. A solid but creative middle. Trent Gini and Bobby would get the chop for me. If Matp is fit Id go

Alisson
            Milner   Philips    Matip   Robbo

OX     Fab      Thiago   Mane/Shaq

Mo   Shaq/Mane

Harsh on Hendo but I want to see Fab and Thiago as a pair in the middle

I agree with change of formation but not Ox, I'd play a 4-3-1-2 with Minamino or Shaq just behind Mo and Sadio. Rest of midfield is Thiago, Hendo and Gini.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #5: Jan 18, 2021 11:22:21 am
      Shaqiri needs to play all the time, drop Salah for Minamino and drop Firmino for Origi

No, Origi is not the answer, sorry but he just isn't.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #6: Jan 18, 2021 11:28:56 am
      Really struggling to see us getting a win again due to the obvious.
      I'm at a loss as to when this slump is gonna end, maybe when Jota returns?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #7: Jan 18, 2021 11:43:21 am
      No, Origi is not the answer, sorry but he just isn't.

Just think Shaq is better from deep.

Firmino is my fav player but needs to be dropped.

Salah needs to be dropped too

Mane hasn’t been great but feel like his work rate and running is still adding value.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #8: Jan 18, 2021 11:45:50 am

That's a big call mate. Would drop Bobby as he's well off it but at least Mo is getting in to better positions to score.

I'd go Shaq Mo Mane up top with Thiago Hendo and Gini/Jones behind.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #9: Jan 18, 2021 11:49:33 am
      That's a big call mate. Would drop Bobby as he's well off it but at least Mo is getting in to better positions to score.

I'd go Shaq Mo Mane up top with Thiago Hendo and Gini/Jones behind.

Just felt like Salah was dinking about too much, going down too easy, just annoying me.

Don’t get me wrong, F***ing love the man but it just ain’t happening for him
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #10: Jan 18, 2021 12:21:19 pm
      Would play Matip or Fab not both one needs to play Sunday where they will have Greenwood, Cavani and James probably playing . Bobby benched please not sure who would come in big physical CBS mini not really suited but either way tweaks are needed
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #11: Jan 18, 2021 06:04:28 pm
              Alisson
      TAA Hendo Fab Robbo
       Jones Thiago Gini
        Mane Taki Origi

Three games without a goal, and we look completely stale and lacking in confidence up front.
      Origi/Taki/Shaq/AOC haven't impressed much, though haven't seen much of Origi/AOC - but I'd be willing to drop Firmino and Salah to try and shake things up.
      Thought Jürgen was too slow bringing Bob off on Sunday, nothing was happening for him. Great player, but when he's off form, it messes us up in the last third him being the main link man.
      We have the FA Cup match against Manure coming up too so likely will need to do some rotation for the next 2 matches - and I'd give some of the other lads a chance up front vs Burnley and bring back Bob/Salah for uShited.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #12: Jan 18, 2021 10:23:00 pm
      Agree with the need to change it up. Rinse and repeat isnt working on current form.

Ali
      Trent     Phillips      Fabinho   Robbo
                  Hendo       Thiago
         Shaq         Minamino      Mane
                            Salah

Nothing against Gini been one of our better/consistent performers, we just need creativity further up the pitch and he could probably do with a rest.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #13: Jan 18, 2021 11:50:33 pm
      I can understand the enthusiasm a lot of us have for changes of personnel and even formation in the name of creativity, but this is Burnley.
      They don't score much, they bully, but know how to defend, especially against a team with so little attacking confidence and penetration, like us.
      I'd put good money on a one-goal result, or another low score-draw.  We need to be as solid but quicker, sharper, cleverer.

To that end we need to be solid at the back against Barnes, Rodriguez and Wood, who know how to be snide bas**rds and will love the prospect of facing an inexperienced Williams.  Keep Fab at CB, alongside Philips (good in the air), but with Milner at right back to provide strength and nous on that flank.  Fab can push on if the situation allows.  TAA as a sub for JM if we need to force it later.  Robbo LB of course.

Hendo to CM to regain control and influence further forward.  Tiago is simply undroppable right now, as is Robbo.  The other midfield position I'd give to Gini with licence to attack more as he does with Holland.  Also his ball-keeping will be vital.  Shaq as a sub for a forward or as a sub No.10.

Salah, sorry - I'm leaving you out for Minamino.  Come on later, maybe and show us how pissed off you are.  Mini, make those little darts and break their lines.   Sadio stays - he will always punch holes, use his pace and strength and cause problems.  Firmino I'm keeping.  Despite not finding his shooting form recently he can and does link it up front, finds great spaces when its tight and is always a game away from goalscoring redemption (we were all set to drop him before the wonder goal against Palace, remember?)  Origi?  To do what, exactly?  Sorry, but no. 

Allison
                      Milner       Philips             Fabinho         Robertson

Henderson   Wijnaldum   Tiago

Mane/Minamino       Firmino        Minamino/Mane

Subs:  Shaquiri   Trent    Ox      Williams N    Williams R      Jones      Kelleher 

If we are in to attack this title we'll do it by being gnarly against the likes of these, and clever.  But gnarly is what got us over the line in many of these fixtures last season, usually by one late goal.  Play OK and find a way to win.  Keep the faith.  YNWA.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #14: Jan 19, 2021 08:40:56 am
              Alisson
      TAA Hendo Fab Robbo
       Jones Thiago Gini
        Mane Taki Origi

Three games without a goal, and we look completely stale and lacking in confidence up front.
      Origi/Taki/Shaq/AOC haven't impressed much, though haven't seen much of Origi/AOC - but I'd be willing to drop Firmino and Salah to try and shake things up.
      Thought Jürgen was too slow bringing Bob off on Sunday, nothing was happening for him. Great player, but when he's off form, it messes us up in the last third him being the main link man.
      We have the FA Cup match against Manure coming up too so likely will need to do some rotation for the next 2 matches - and I'd give some of the other lads a chance up front vs Burnley and bring back Bob/Salah for uShited.

Yikes!!! I'm all for shaking things up but that front line look horrendous, just think f all the times we have started matches with Origi, how many goals has he scored??

I think put Nat in defence, hopefully with Matip, then play a midfield of Thiago, Hendo and Fabinho and have Shaq just behind Salah and Mane. Do that and we win the game comfortably.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15: Jan 19, 2021 08:43:42 am
      I can understand the enthusiasm a lot of us have for changes of personnel and even formation in the name of creativity, but this is Burnley.
      They don't score much, they bully, but know how to defend, especially against a team with so little attacking confidence and penetration, like us.
      I'd put good money on a one-goal result, or another low score-draw.  We need to be as solid but quicker, sharper, cleverer.

To that end we need to be solid at the back against Barnes, Rodriguez and Wood, who know how to be snide bas**rds and will love the prospect of facing an inexperienced Williams.  Keep Fab at CB, alongside Philips (good in the air), but with Milner at right back to provide strength and nous on that flank.  Fab can push on if the situation allows.  TAA as a sub for JM if we need to force it later.  Robbo LB of course.

Hendo to CM to regain control and influence further forward.  Tiago is simply undroppable right now, as is Robbo.  The other midfield position I'd give to Gini with licence to attack more as he does with Holland.  Also his ball-keeping will be vital.  Shaq as a sub for a forward or as a sub No.10.

Salah, sorry - I'm leaving you out for Minamino.  Come on later, maybe and show us how pissed off you are.  Mini, make those little darts and break their lines.   Sadio stays - he will always punch holes, use his pace and strength and cause problems.  Firmino I'm keeping.  Despite not finding his shooting form recently he can and does link it up front, finds great spaces when its tight and is always a game away from goalscoring redemption (we were all set to drop him before the wonder goal against Palace, remember?)  Origi?  To do what, exactly?  Sorry, but no. 

Allison
                      Milner       Philips             Fabinho         Robertson

Henderson   Wijnaldum   Tiago

Mane/Minamino       Firmino        Minamino/Mane

Subs:  Shaquiri   Trent    Ox      Williams N    Williams R      Jones      Kelleher 

If we are in to attack this title we'll do it by being gnarly against the likes of these, and clever.  But gnarly is what got us over the line in many of these fixtures last season, usually by one late goal.  Play OK and find a way to win.  Keep the faith.  YNWA.

Sorry but Bobby does not link anything up front at the moment, that's the problem. His shooting has always been crap, but he used be brilliant at winning the ball back and distributing it cleverly, but not any more, he must be dropped, please!!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #16: Jan 19, 2021 09:25:36 am
      I'd change things up for this one and as much as I'm a huge fan of Firmino I think we need to do something different up front.

Allison

Trent     Phillips     Fabinho     Robertson

Hendo       Thiago

Shaqiri     Minamino     Mane

Salah
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #17: Jan 19, 2021 09:33:22 am
      Must win game.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #18: Jan 19, 2021 11:18:01 am
      Whoever starts against Burnley on Thursday night, need to step up a gear or two to say the least. Far too much side & back passing recently, losing momentum. I think more shots on goal required not only from the front three but midfielders etc. A couple of goals in the first half hour or so will give the players more belief to snap out of this run of poor form.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #19: Jan 19, 2021 11:40:24 am
      Whoever starts against Burnley on Thursday night, need to step up a gear or two to say the least. Far too much side & back passing recently, losing momentum. I think more shots on goal required not only from the front three but midfielders etc. A couple of goals in the first half hour or so will give the players more belief to snap out of this run of poor form.

Totally agree, we need to stop with this patient build up sh*t, against a team like Burnley it just gives them all the time in the world to organise their defence. We need to break far quicker, take a few more chances.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #20: Jan 19, 2021 11:40:41 am
      Would love to see this line up...

Alisson

TAA        Phillips      Matip      Robbo

Hendo    Thiago   Fabinho

Shaq            Mo           Mane

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #21: Jan 19, 2021 12:12:57 pm
      If we can get one of Hendo or Fabinho into midfield it would make a big difference.

Trent's someone that I would play through his current bad patch, I think he's just a decent performance away from turning the corner so wouldn't be dropping him (he can rest Sunday if needed). Firmino's one I'd take out of the firing line though as Burnley will of course sit very deep and congest the final third.

Alisson; Trent, Matip, Fabinho, Robbo; Hendo, Thiago, Shaqiri; Minamino, Salah, Mane.

If Matip's still injured then I hope we play Phillips so we can still have one of our defensive midfielders in midfield.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #22: Jan 19, 2021 12:16:42 pm
      I'd change things up for this one and as much as I'm a huge fan of Firmino I think we need to do something different up front.

Allison

Trent     Phillips     Fabinho     Robertson

Hendo       Thiago

Shaqiri     Minamino     Mane

Salah

We have to, I agree. We can debate and name our teams which is fine but to be honest Im. not too bothered with who is on the pitch I just want to see us tweek something or try something different. Its months since we have been ourselves in all honesty but yet we keep going in the same fashion.

Owned the ball again but how many saves did de Gea make. Think we need a driver from midfield either carrying the ball to give defendesa worry, ir arive late in the box to get on a pass. Keita when fit is probably best man for that.

Quick Reply