Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Burnley: Premier League (Thu 21st Jan 8pm)

Read 7403 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Burnley: Premier League (Thu 21st Jan 8pm)
      Reply #23: Jan 19, 2021 01:10:55 pm
      Thought Thiago was going to solve all of our problems against the bus parkers........

Guess maybe it's not that simple. Possibly we need starting CBs who are actually CBs and allow our midfielders to play in midfield where they belong?

But what do I know.

Don't care who plays, as long as they win the game and hopefully stop some of the whining on this forum.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #24: Jan 19, 2021 01:17:29 pm
      Just felt like Salah was dinking about too much, going down too easy, just annoying me.

Don’t get me wrong, f**king love the man but it just ain’t happening for him

Based on current form, there isn't a player more deserving of being dropped than Mo. When he's not scoring he offers nothing else to the team, partly because of the role he plays. Firmino and Mane at least offer defense, work rate and build up. Shaq should definitely come in for Salah and if Jota was available he too would start.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #25: Jan 19, 2021 01:18:17 pm
      Thought Thiago was going to solve all of our problems against the bus parkers........

Guess maybe it's not that simple. Possibly we need starting CBs who are actually CBs and allow our midfielders to play in midfield where they belong?

But what do I know.

Don't care who plays, as long as they win the game and hopefully stop some of the whining on this forum.

We haven't won any of the games Thiago has started....Go figure.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #26: Jan 19, 2021 01:24:42 pm
      Hate teams like Burnley, they are the ones who could ruin our record at home.

Allison

Millie      Philips    Matip      Robbo

Fab

Hendo                Thiago

Big Shaq            Salah             Mane

:kop5cf8koxp6:

YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #27: Jan 19, 2021 01:56:15 pm
      Involve Shaq (for Bobby or as our 3rd midfielder) and tell Thiago he's not here for showboating but to make also some vertical runs/passes to feed our three strikers. Also for f*cks sake, bring Williams-Phillips. Burnley is not ManU and we need to restablish Fab and Hendo in the midfield to be competitive with the best. Let both dudes play and prove themselves.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #28: Jan 19, 2021 02:30:32 pm
      Based on current form, there isn't a player more deserving of being dropped than Mo. When he's not scoring he offers nothing else to the team, partly because of the role he plays. Firmino and Mane at least offer defense, work rate and build up. Shaq should definitely come in for Salah and if Jota was available he too would start.

Nonsense. Even when out of form Mo still looks the player most likely to score for us.

Bobby is a passenger most games now and Mane needs a kick up the hole to get going again.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29: Jan 19, 2021 02:36:57 pm
      I can understand the enthusiasm a lot of us have for changes of personnel and even formation in the name of creativity, but this is Burnley.
      They don't score much, they bully, but know how to defend, especially against a team with so little attacking confidence and penetration, like us.
      I'd put good money on a one-goal result, or another low score-draw.  We need to be as solid but quicker, sharper, cleverer.

To that end we need to be solid at the back against Barnes, Rodriguez and Wood, who know how to be snide bas**rds and will love the prospect of facing an inexperienced Williams.  Keep Fab at CB, alongside Philips (good in the air), but with Milner at right back to provide strength and nous on that flank.  Fab can push on if the situation allows.  TAA as a sub for JM if we need to force it later.  Robbo LB of course.

Hendo to CM to regain control and influence further forward.  Tiago is simply undroppable right now, as is Robbo.  The other midfield position I'd give to Gini with licence to attack more as he does with Holland.  Also his ball-keeping will be vital.  Shaq as a sub for a forward or as a sub No.10.

Salah, sorry - I'm leaving you out for Minamino.  Come on later, maybe and show us how pissed off you are.  Mini, make those little darts and break their lines.   Sadio stays - he will always punch holes, use his pace and strength and cause problems.  Firmino I'm keeping.  Despite not finding his shooting form recently he can and does link it up front, finds great spaces when its tight and is always a game away from goalscoring redemption (we were all set to drop him before the wonder goal against Palace, remember?)  Origi?  To do what, exactly?  Sorry, but no. 

Allison
                      Milner       Philips             Fabinho         Robertson

Henderson   Wijnaldum   Tiago

Mane/Minamino       Firmino        Minamino/Mane

Subs:  Shaquiri   Trent    Ox      Williams N    Williams R      Jones      Kelleher 

If we are in to attack this title we'll do it by being gnarly against the likes of these, and clever.  But gnarly is what got us over the line in many of these fixtures last season, usually by one late goal.  Play OK and find a way to win.  Keep the faith.  YNWA.

We couldn't beat WB or Newcastle, so deffo can't take Burnley for granted. They'll come and do what the others did, park the bus and hope for something on the break and at set pieces.
      So yeah, probably playing Philips and moving Hendo into midfield is decent call.

I'd go as far as leaving out both Bob and Mo, so would have no problems leaving out Mo from start.
      TAA too has been poor, don't think Milly would weaken us given his form.

Really need the 3 points in this one.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30: Jan 19, 2021 02:43:54 pm
      Yikes!!! I'm all for shaking things up but that front line look horrendous, just think f all the times we have started matches with Origi, how many goals has he scored??

I think put Nat in defence, hopefully with Matip, then play a midfield of Thiago, Hendo and Fabinho and have Shaq just behind Salah and Mane. Do that and we win the game comfortably.

No chance he's going to play Fab in the middle.  Hendo might move up though.
      But the middle is not where the problems are.

Neither Firmino and Mo have scored in 4 matches, and their general play hasn't been good either.
      The fact that we're even getting a point from matches is down to great work from a makeshift defense.

We have Shaq/Taki/Origi as options in the final 3rd - maybe not great ones - but Taki got the first at CP, and Origi gives something more direct, and can't be any worse in the shooting dept than we've seen in recent games.

We have a match against Manure soon after, so think he'll make changes up front in one or other, just depends which one.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #31: Jan 19, 2021 02:48:25 pm

Neither Firmino and Mo have scored in 4 matches, and their general play hasn't been good either.
      The fact that we're even getting a point from matches is down to great work from a makeshift defense.

We have Shaq/Taki/Origi as options in the final 3rd - maybe not great ones - but Taki got the first at CP, and Origi gives something more direct, and can't be any worse in the shooting dept than we've seen in recent games.

We have a match against Manure soon after, so think he'll make changes up front in one or other, just depends which one.

You are right the problem is up front, but that can be helped by the middle, and getting Fab in there would be huge. Thursday is a chance to do that. Matip and Philips are well capable of handling Burnley.

Fab Thiago and 1 from Hendo/Ox/Shaq bring hat drive from the middle
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #32: Jan 19, 2021 02:54:16 pm
      Nonsense. Even when out of form Mo still looks the player most likely to score for us.

Bobby is a passenger most games now and Mane needs a kick up the hole to get going again.

You still don't get it.

I get Salah gives you the threat to score but over the past few weeks other than complain about the captaincy he is not doing anything else. He has missed some absolute sitters the past few games.

Salah provides very little when he's not scoring. And yes, part of it is because Klopp runs the offense around him. How you cannot see this is unbelievable.

CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #33: Jan 19, 2021 02:56:30 pm

Origi has been so marginalized by Klopp that i don't see how it makes sense to start him. His rhythm will be so off that unless for fitness / fatigue issues you have to go with the usual 3 up front.

And if neither Rhys or Philipps play today it will be very weird from Klopp and truthfully i don't understand why suddenly he wrote them off.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #34: Jan 19, 2021 02:57:37 pm
                Alisson
      Trent - Fab - Philips - Robbo
                  Hendo
          Shaq    -      Thiago
      Salah - Firmino - Mane
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #35: Jan 19, 2021 03:02:45 pm
      You are right the problem is up front, but that can be helped by the middle, and getting Fab in there would be huge. Thursday is a chance to do that. Matip and Philips are well capable of handling Burnley.

I'd like to see Fab in the middle too, just think even if Matip is back, he won't go with Nat, he seems to only pick him when his backs up against the wall. So would expect Fab to stay at CB.  Never know though I guess, would be a big shake up if both Hendo and Fab move into the middle.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #36: Jan 19, 2021 03:06:13 pm
      Origi has been so marginalized by Klopp that i don't see how it makes sense to start him. His rhythm will be so off that unless for fitness / fatigue issues you have to go with the usual 3 up front.

Will be surprised if one from Mo/Bob is not left out.
      If not, under what circumstances 'can' guys even get a game if not now with first teamers not scoring in 90 x 4 mins.
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #37: Jan 19, 2021 03:07:12 pm
      We haven't won any of the games Thiago has started....Go figure.

How many games is that 2 ? Ridiculous  comment
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #38: Jan 19, 2021 03:07:40 pm
      Will be surprised if one from Mo/Bob is not left out.
      If not, under what circumstances 'can' guys even get a game if not now with first teamers not scoring in 90 x 4 mins.

Agree, but then you have someone like Taki who after having a great game against Palace hasn't seen the field since. Klopp has definitely been confusing the past couple weeks.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #39: Jan 19, 2021 03:08:40 pm
      How many games is that 2 ? Ridiculous  comment

3, but it was not a critique of Thiago, just an observation of how sometimes "stats" don't make sense.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #40: Jan 19, 2021 03:10:01 pm
      You still don't get it.

I get Salah gives you the threat to score but over the past few weeks other than complain about the captaincy he is not doing anything else. He has missed some absolute sitters the past few games.

Salah provides very little when he's not scoring. And yes, part of it is because Klopp runs the offense around him. How you cannot see this is unbelievable.

Don't get what?

That we should drop our No.1 goal scorer for the last 4 seasons just because all our forwards are under performing?

Nope I definitely don't get that.

Salah will still bang 30 plus goals this season while Bobby will struggle to hit 10.

Don't give a hoot what Bobby offers defensively right now when it's goals we're crying out for.
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #41: Jan 19, 2021 03:11:26 pm
      Sorry thought was 2 possibly might be something to do with our forwards as well unless that stats say not creating think the problem is bigger than just one section of the team
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #42: Jan 19, 2021 03:29:13 pm

If Matip were to be healthy i would agree that it would be nice to see Fabinho in midfield, but it's Matip so likely won't play. To his own detriment, Fabinho is so good defensively that it's almost impossible to move him out of CB. That play he made against Rashford in the 2nd half was stellar and i don't trust Philips or Rhys could have done the same.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #43: Jan 19, 2021 03:30:08 pm
      Don't get what?

That we should drop our No.1 goal scorer for the last 4 seasons just because all our forwards are under performing?

Nope I definitely don't get that.

Salah will still bang 30 plus goals this season while Bobby will struggle to hit 10.

Don't give a hoot what Bobby offers defensively right now when it's goals we're crying out for.

I can explain it to you but i can't understand it for you, so we move on.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #44: Jan 19, 2021 03:37:58 pm
      Right, thats it. 3 points incoming I feel it in my bones.

a goal each for salah, bobby & mane.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #45: Jan 19, 2021 04:40:08 pm

But what do I know.

Yes how dare any of us be dissapointed with 3 points in 4 matches, tut tut shame on all of us, only FL Red is a true superfan!!!

Quick Reply